-
1574089790451.png
1574089798939.png
-
1574089809799.png

Base Stats:
58 HP | 95 Atk | 145 Def | 50 SpA | 105 SpD | 30 Spe

Ability:
Wandering Spirit - The Pokémon exchanges Abilities with a Pokémon that hits it with a move that makes direct contact.

Moves:

Notable Moves:
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Runerigus enters the scene in the shadow of his Unovan cousin, packing some fancy new rock gloves to shift into the role of a Physical attacker rather than Special. With a STAB Earthquake and a Mummy upgrade, Runerigus hopes to improve on the precedent set by Cofagrigus.

Pros:
- Very nice bulk, most notably in the physical department with 145. A Special Defense of 105 is not too shabby either.
- In the past, HP Fighting was key for Cofagrigus to deal with Dark and Normal types. This Generation blesses the Riguses with a new move called Body Press, a Fighting type move that gets stronger the higher one's Defense. Runerigus has one of the highest Defenses in Galar.
- Wandering Spirit allows Runerigus to counter physical attackers who are reliant on abilities to perform well.
- Immunity to Normal, Fighting and Electric.
- The aforementioned Normal immunity as well as access to Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes make it a sufficient trapper lead.

Cons:
- Speed is miserable. Of course, while that means it can perform well in what Cofagrigus' best niche was, Runerigus will struggle outside of it
- Cofagrigus enjoys Nasty Plot to boost its Special Attack. Runerigus has no such physical counterpart.
- HP is also miserable, and unlike Speed, there is no real bonus to such low HP, especially on a hopeful tank.
- Picking up a secondary typing gives it three new weaknesses over Cofagrigus.
- No other ability options.

Dynamaxing:
- Runerigus' three types give it access to three bonus effects that are all helpful to it.
- Max Knuckle is the most helpful; the best way for Runerigus to reliably increase its attack stat.
- Increased HP helps patch up the weakest part of Runerigus' defense.
- Certainly an option for Trick Room Runerigus; low speed makes it not such a fantastic idea otherwise.

Sets:

Trick Room or Treat

Runerigus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Trick Room

With such low speed, it's unsurprising that Runerigus finds the most use with a Trick Room set. Cofagrigus found viability in past Gens with a similar set, but Runerigus' physical inclination gives it an edge. Shadow Claw is Runerigus' main STAB move, because the only other accessible physical Ghost move is Phantom Force, which has a slight niche in stalling out Dynamaxes but is mostly inferior otherwise. Earthquake is for secondary STAB. Body Press is Runerigus' main boon. With Hidden Power gone, Runerigus would have struggled against Normal and Dark types that check its primary STAB, but Body Press arrives in the same generation and scales off its fantastic defense stat. Runerigus has the bulk to be able to set up Trick Room itself.

Don't Touch Me
Runerigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes / Haze
- Shadow Claw / Hex
- Body Press

For a more tank-focused set, Runerigus can use Will-O-Wisp to further decrease the amount of damage physical attackers can deal to it. For opposing other tanks, Runerigus can use Toxic Spikes. Alternatively, one can use Haze to introduce them to Runerigus' life of no relevant stat-boosting moves. Shadow Claw is Runerigus' usual Ghost STAB, but Hex is a possibility, as Runerigus' Special Attack is just above half of its Attack, so will be slightly stronger if the enemy is burned or poisoned. Body Press is used once again in tandem with Runerigus' brilliant Defense and to check Dark and Ice types.

StealthRock.jpg
Runerigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Earthquake / Shadow Claw
- Body Press

If you want to use Stealth Rock just because Runerigus has it, then it's ideal to use it as a lead and set up hazards for as long as the opponent will let you. Having Ghost type means it's immune to Rapid Spin, a desirable trait for any trapper lead. Either STAB option is viable, but Earthquake has an edge as opposing lead trappers are typically weak to it. Body Press is fantastic as always.

Last edited:
Another good use of Runerigus is as a suicide lead for Trick Room teams. It is the slowest user of both Stealth Rock and a self-KO move, and the Ghost type gives it the ability to spinblock too. Since Bronzong does not currently get Explosion and all other available Pokemon with Trick Room, Stealth Rock, and a self-KO move are in the 70-100 base speed range I think it really has a niche, even though Trick Room has always been sort of a fringe playstyle.

Runerigus @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

ArcticFire Wandering Spirit works both ways: When Runerigus uses a contact move AND when hit by a contact move

I also have been theorycrafting with the idea of using Runerigus as a hard Max Lucha counter. If Lucha comes out, Rune switches in and either blocks Thunder Punch, stopping the Terrain/Unburden proc, blocks HJK/Max Knuckle, leaving Acrobatics as the only move an SnS Lucha could hit it with, procing Wandering Spirit. Rune could also shut down Lucha after unburden procs by taking it away.

The Unmasker:
Runerigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Will-o-Wisp

I have run some rough numbers, and it looks like this set should shut down Lucha:

252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 116 HP / 252+ Def Runerigus: 87-103 (30.4 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

And then subsequently 2HKO Lucha:

140 Atk Runerigus Zen Headbutt vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 162-192 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This was calculated without consideration for Dynamax damage/HP, but should provide a base for tweaking once the calculator is available with Dynamax.

RotomGuy Shadow Claw > Shadow Ball on Runerigus in the last set as 95 base Atk > 50 base SpA.

Iron defense + Body Press is basically a Nasty Plot + Hidden power fighting, however it only works with Body Press in this way.

I've been playing with Iron defense Trick Room Runerigus.

Runerigus @ Mental Herb/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Shadow Claw
- Trick Room

320 HP, 427 Def, 246 SpD means you're super bulky. 854 Defense with one Iron defense means this has more workable defense than Dubwool after one turn of setup (bear in mind cotton guard is +3 while Iron Defense is +2) and 58 Speed with the given set means this pokemon can set itself up.

Body press is the main move. as it works off the 854 defense. Shadow claw benefits from stab, but 227 attack stat means it won't hit hard. Phantom force is omitted from this set because it wastes a turn of trick room, which is already only 5 turns.

Mental herb blocks taunt once, so you are more likely to get a Trick Room off. Less than Average HP means it will be hard to survive repeated speical attacks, even with a solid 246 SpD. Leftovers provides a steady passive recovery if you aren't worried about taunt, and max HP is a Leftovers number (320/16=20).

Life orb can be used to boost Body Press's or Shadow Claw's power by 30% at the cost of 10% HP. If you use Life orb, move 4 EVs from HP to Atk so you get the extra turn as 320 is divisible by 10 evenly. This is not reccomended as Runerigus has no reliable recovery outside of rest.

Chelanteau why not option a Relaxed nature with 0 Spe IV over Impish if used on Trick Room team?

Last edited:
Chelanteau Ah, thanks for confirming how Wandering Spirit works, I was unsure myself and the wording appears to imply it's just enemy contact.

In that case, readytolose, for a suicide set, it may be better to take a contact move like Shadow Claw or Body Press to take down an enemy's ability with it.

Its_Lorelei Thanks, was a typo, fixed

Last edited:
Thinking at something like this:

"Don't Return The Slab" set:

Runerigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock / Will-o-Wisp
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Will-o-Wisp / Phantom Force

This set has the main mission to take away your Wandering Spirit... and never have it back. Imagine like making a board game out of the traditional Hot-Potato game: "If you roll the die and get pair numbers, you keep the hot-potato!", ingame wise, this means that every second and subsequent paired hits with physical contact between you and your opponent means you get the Wandering Spirit back to you. You can setup SR when there aren't physical attackers nearby or Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical hitters and/or provide you a non-pair physical contact hit when necessary. PhantomForce is there in case you want to take out someone while you're on a pair situation or when you are in an non-pair situation and expect the opponent carrying Wandering Spirit to switch out. This set however has the common issues... plus becoming problematic if you waste more than few turns... plus multi-hit contact moves such as Dual Chop and Double Iron Bash will mean that they might turn your board game against you.

Side Note: If you want to use a set feauturing Shadow Claw, Body Press and/or Zen Headbutt, you can hold Protective Pads to have a similar playstyle to this set above in exchange of the passive recovery.

Last edited:
Runerigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Body Press

I've been using this on a semi-stall build with reuni plus lots of protect mons, i think it can be a great rocker as well as t spiker that is my main drill check plus spin blocker. Defense stat means it can tank most non dyna hits, body press 2hkos drill and is good for spreading passive. Protect is a must for defensive set.

edit: I forgot to add this in but it is also a great dracozolt check.

Last edited:
I think with the prevalence of Toxapex, Toxic Spikes might not be worth running at this point. Runerigus still has plenty of viable options to run though. Gonna mention the ones that might be overlooked comparatively, since Wisp/Stealth Rocks/Body Press are pretty obvious choices that are fine in a lot of cases.

1. Shadow Claw might be worth running over EQ in conjunction with Body Press to hurt Hatterne, Corsola-Galar, and Dragapult on the switch, all of which take very little to literally nothing from Body Press.
2. Bulldoze over EQ is an option for non-Trick Room/offensive sets. Runerigus isn't going to be OHKOing a lot of stuff with EQ, and Bulldoze has that very nice Speed drop slapped on that makes it easier to force out an opponent with your subsequent switch-in. But EQ does hit much harder and still is worth considering at least.

Last edited:
So when you can eventually trade over Cofagrigus, will this mon be rendered pointless, or does it have its perks to being used over his Unova counterpart?

So when you can eventually trade over Cofagrigus, will this mon be rendered pointless, or does it have its perks to being used over his Unova counterpart?
Cofagrigus is already obtainable in game via an npc trade for a Unovan Yamask. The perk this guy has is his triple immunity typeing, as well as ability to utilize the opponents abilities in his favor. Like someone said before, where Cofagrigus can boost his Special attack for damage, this guy can utilize Body Press and iron defense for crazy good damage, and has access to STAB for dealing with ghosts switching in

Triple immunity, physical inclination, Stealth Rock, STAB Ground and a better ability.

Does Body Press totally ignore Attack/Special Attack stat and operate entirely on Defense? If not, then that's another bonus.

Cofagrigus has less weaknesses, offense boosting moves and a special inclination, but that's it really.

So heres a question, are there any pokemon that actually benefit from getting wandering spirit? I know of slaking was available it would love stealing this ability, but in the current meta are there any bad abilities someone would want to get rid of?

Also, if you could try to steal the best ability for runegirus, which should you be looking for? Fluffy?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Triple immunity, physical inclination, Stealth Rock, STAB Ground and a better ability.

Does Body Press totally ignore Attack/Special Attack stat and operate entirely on Defense? If not, then that's another bonus.

Cofagrigus has less weaknesses, offense boosting moves and a special inclination, but that's it really.
Body Press outright uses the Defense Stat as the Attack. Similar case to Psyshock and Secret Sword targeting the opponent's Defense while being Special.

To add onto your Runerigus VS Cofagrigus, Cof has also a boosting move in Nasty Plot to give it minor sweeping potential. Not too good due to the limitations of the statline imo, but Body Press can change that. I do feel Rune's ability to come in and support more reliably is superior, along with the physical movepool.

Body Press outright uses the Defense Stat as the Attack. Similar case to Psyshock and Secret Sword targeting the opponent's Defense while being Special.

To add onto your Runerigus VS Cofagrigus, Cof has also a boosting move in Nasty Plot to give it minor sweeping potential. Not too good due to the limitations of the statline imo, but Body Press can change that. I do feel Rune's ability to come in and support more reliably is superior, along with the physical movepool.
Yea, Runerigus being able to beat Bisharp and Tyranitar via Body Press (or chip them with STAB EQ) is a big deal. Cofagrigus either had to Wisp them on the switch in, or run HP Fighting and be boosted/in TR.

Of course, gaining 3 weaknesses does hurt, but Cofagrigus wasn't likely to stay in on powerful special attackers anyways (except in a pinch), and being able to suck momentum by blocking Volt Switch (and being immune to Electric in general), and resisting Rock (and to a lesser degree Poison) is valuable enough to justify a niche separate from Cofagrigus.

Incidentally, Runerigus's typing means that without Snarl, Toxtricity is hard walled, since Runerigus 4x resists Poison, and is immune to Electric and Normal (Boomburst). Kinda useful for now, since there's a decent amount of Toxtricity on the ladder.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Yea, Runerigus being able to beat Bisharp and Tyranitar via Body Press (or chip them with STAB EQ) is a big deal. Cofagrigus either had to Wisp them on the switch in, or run HP Fighting and be boosted/in TR.

Of course, gaining 3 weaknesses does hurt, but Cofagrigus wasn't likely to stay in on powerful special attackers anyways (except in a pinch), and being able to suck momentum by blocking Volt Switch (and being immune to Electric in general), and resisting Rock (and to a lesser degree Poison) is valuable enough to justify a niche separate from Cofagrigus.

Incidentally, Runerigus's typing means that without Snarl, Toxtricity is hard walled, since Runerigus 4x resists Poison, and is immune to Electric and Normal (Boomburst). Kinda useful for now, since there's a decent amount of Toxtricity on the ladder.
I completely agree. I like how Runerigus seems to be an anti-meta pick right now, although it definitely has difficulty against Gyarados. Corviknight, Tyranitar (who can't seem to land an OHKO in my experience) and most electric types can't really get past it. Hawlucha is a hilarious matchup. In the National OU ladder it's been great against Tapu Kokos that don't have Grass Knot. Good way to scout for it too!

I completely agree. I like how Runerigus seems to be an anti-meta pick right now, although it definitely has difficulty against Gyarados. Corviknight, Tyranitar (who can't seem to land an OHKO in my experience) and most electric types can't really get past it. Hawlucha is a hilarious matchup. In the National OU ladder it's been great against Tapu Kokos that don't have Grass Knot. Good way to scout for it too!
Runerigus also beats Excadrill pretty handily, although it'd love some Wish support since it doesn't have access to Pain Split.

I think for National OU, giving enough SpDef to avoid the 2HKO from Specs Koko HP Ice is probably all the SpDef needed, since GK will do loads even with just Life Orb. 252/188/68 Impish with Leftovers lets you avoid the 2HKO from Specs Koko's HP Ice, while EQ 2HKOs non-Shuca variants (Bulldoze needs Rocks for that). It still gives you enough physical bulk to avoid being OHKO'd by Adamant Life Orb Bisharp's Knock Off nearly all the time even after Rocks, so you can Body Press back for the easy OHKO.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
wandering spirit may be good if you meed sandaconda or coallosal.
If you switch out and maintain the ability of course when sending it out later.
Could be handy mon on ocassions.

Looks rock on purpose maybe to make oponets forget about it immunity?

Imagine it with Glare? Accel Rock? it has stats like Pallosand begged for.

Sets up entry hazards nice, Dragon tail would have been better then Brutal swing here.

OTR Runerigus could be a strong candidate for Trick Room teams. With only 30 base speed, Runerigus outspeeds most Pokemon under Trick Room. Solid bulk means that it is likely to be able to set up Trick Room without being OHKO'd, while Ghost/Fighting/Ground coverage gives OTR Runerigus the coverage it needs offensively. With a Life Orb, Runerigus is able to 2HKO maximum physically defensive Reuniclus and Hawlucha with Shadow Claw, nearly always OHKO max HP Hatterene after Stealth Rock, and OHKO Stealth Rock Tyranitar with Body Press (or with Earthquake after Stealth Rock).

Offensive Trick Room Hatterene is a good partner that can set up on and break through stuff like Galarian Corsola and Ferrothorn that handle this set. In addition, Hatterene can set up Trick Room on its own, and appreciates the 4x Poison resistance and general physical bulk that Runerigus provides. Another good partner might be Copperajah which gets Fire/Steel/Ground/Grass coverage and loves being in Trick Room.

Warning before post, this is my favorite new pokemon so expect bias. This mon has been doing wonders for me as a lead, maybe wonders is a bit of a stretch but it gets up rocks nigh-every time with some extra hp leftover for a will-o-wisp, eq, or protect to get some hp back. I have been playing around with a Runerigus that looks like this
Runerigus @ Rocky Helmet/leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
This specific one can ALWAYS take an icicle crash from a galarian-darmanitan, even banded
(calc for those curious: 252+ Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Runerigus: 270-318 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO yes that is adamant)
so you will almost always get rocks up unless some real demonic stuff is in front of you, having two immunities means that it can be a useful way to waste turns on dynamaxes(max lightning from dragapult being the main one off the top of my head). Overall I think the mon is solid but probably not OU worthy. I do think it will be viable in the tier as it is nearly un-OHKOable. Also he looks really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)