Max Raid Discussion Thread

Anyone have any luck catching a 6iv Ditto? I've not gotten anything better than 4iv so far.

I did get a 6iv Goodra, so I assume it's possible and just a matter of luck

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Anyone have any luck catching a 6iv Ditto? I've not gotten anything better than 4iv so far.

I did get a 6iv Goodra, so I assume it's possible and just a matter of luck
5 Star raids have 4 guarantee IVs, so getting more than that means a random stat happened to be 31. The odds of 6 IVs are 1 in 1024, so you got really lucky with that Goodra! I highly recommend settling for two 5 IV Dittos, one missing Attack and one missing Special Attack, or switching between the 4 IV Dittos you have if you lose your sanity while trying for a 5 IV.

There's something else I noticed about the whole matter of how item-removing moves work on Max Raids.

There are some item-removing moves that the bosses themselves cannot use. For example, I was doing a raid against a Galvantula, and every single time it tried to use Bug Bite, it failed.

(Also, among other things, I saw the AI Eevee use Helping Hand on a WOBBUFFET. Really?)

Last edited:
Another thing that fails is moves that would instantly kill the raid boss like Explosion and Self-Destruct. Saw that while fighting a Claydol, wanted to explode so bad but it wouldn't let him.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
5 Star raids have 4 guarantee IVs, so getting more than that means a random stat happened to be 31. The odds of 6 IVs are 1 in 1024, so you got really lucky with that Goodra! I highly recommend settling for two 5 IV Dittos, one missing Attack and one missing Special Attack, or switching between the 4 IV Dittos you have if you lose your sanity while trying for a 5 IV.
Can confirm, currently losing my sanity resetting for a 6IV Ditto.

Something else I wanna point out is that the Bisharp I caught from a Raid (and used on the team) came with Sucker Punch bundled in, despite the move apparently being an Egg Move according to Bulbapedia.
That means apparently not only you can get HAs from Raids, but also Egg moves? I haven't seen that documented anywhere. Is Bulba at fault here?

Can confirm, currently losing my sanity resetting for a 6IV Ditto.

Something else I wanna point out is that the Bisharp I caught from a Raid (and used on the team) came with Sucker Punch bundled in, despite the move apparently being an Egg Move according to Bulbapedia.
That means apparently not only you can get HAs from Raids, but also Egg moves? I haven't seen that documented anywhere. Is Bulba at fault here?
I think I've already seen the yellow aura in raid Pokémon, was it the case for your Bisharp?
The yellow aura wild pokemon can have Egg Moves, I wouldn't be surprised if purple raids (which also show as yellow aura tecnically) could have Egg moves learned.

....which makes me sad because the one I caught didn't have it :(

edit: do note that in those cases those Egg Moves are actually not permanent iirc and can't be relearned if forgotten.

Some more move quirks, be wary of Focus Punch. Dynamax pokemon cannot be flinched under any circumstances, meaning they can't lose focus and the move will always go off at the end of the combat round. They will tighten focus at the beginning of combat, use whatever other extra attacks they get, then Focus Punch at the very end (it still has negative speed priority, so it will be after everyone else moves).

Some more move quirks, be wary of Focus Punch. Dynamax pokemon cannot be flinched under any circumstances, meaning they can't lose focus and the move will always go off at the end of the combat round. They will tighten focus at the beginning of combat, use whatever other extra attacks they get, then Focus Punch at the very end (it still has negative speed priority, so it will be after everyone else moves).
They also can't use Focus Punch, as it will be turned into the fighting type max move.

EDIT: I'm dumb, you meant the opponent. In practice, this will be slightly stronger than most max moves, but significantly so for fighting moves due to the usual power penalty

Question - Has anyone noticed the strong overworld pokemon like the Snorlax at the bridge or Gallade on the island having a yellow aura?

TMan87

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Other question: I've noticed raids with the same number of stars having a different number of barriers when getting at the HP thresholds (usually varies between 3 and 6).
Is the amount of barriers tied to anything or is it just random?

Other question: I've noticed raids with the same number of stars having a different number of barriers when getting at the HP thresholds (usually varies between 3 and 6).
I believe it depends on the species.

Each species has fixed moveset and barrier number at each specific star value.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that purple raids can roll with egg moves on top of those.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I've heard (but can't confirm) that purple raids can roll with egg moves on top of those.
I don't know how to tell if something has egg moves before the raid starts, (and I don't care when Egg Moves can be shared) but I can confirm they can have Egg Moves. I caught a Shuckle that knew Knock Off.

TMan87

Each species has fixed moveset and barrier number at each specific star value.

That's weird, cause it seems to contradict some of the evidence I've seen in-game.
If I remember correctly, I've seen 4-star Ditto raids get 5 or 6 barriers at times, though I could be mixing my raids up. I'll try to research that as I reset again and again for the fabled Ditto.

In regards to your second point, I can confirm as well: the Bisharp I caught from a purple raid had Sucker Punch.

If I remember correctly, I've seen 4-star Ditto raids get 5 or 6 barriers at times, though I could be mixing my raids up. I'll try to research that as I reset again and again for the fabled Ditto.
I would wonder if Ditto is a special case after it transforms and adapts the barriers of the species it morphs to, but I didn't really get a chance to check this one out.

Does it help to turn-off/turn-on after a Gigantamax breaks out of its Ball?

I've read in a thread (forgot where) that the catch chance is predetermined, and that the type of Poke Ball used doesn't matter unless it's a Master Ball. So if it breaks out and you turn-off-turn-on to redo the Max Raid, it will guarantee to break out again and again.

Has anyone been able to confirm this or find the contrary?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does it help to turn-off/turn-on after a Gigantamax breaks out of its Ball?

I've read in a thread (forgot where) that the catch chance is predetermined, and that the type of Poke Ball used doesn't matter unless it's a Master Ball. So if it breaks out and you turn-off-turn-on to redo the Max Raid, it will guarantee to break out again and again.

Has anyone been able to confirm this or find the contrary?
I can confirm that the catch chance is not predetermined. To get my G-Centiskorch (as a Sword player), a friend resetted his raid until I caught it, which happened in four tries. As the host, he only caught it three times.

Can't remember if this has been tested yet, but the event Raids seem to be their own special type of Raid. Re-rolling the raid using the Den Reroll trick just gets a different Event Raid. ie, Snorlax rerolls to Butterfree. And this can happen from using a Wishing Piece.

We got a new raid to help celebrate the new year! Magikarps will spawn more frequently up til January 3rd, with an increased shiny chance to boot! Will update the first post with this news.

That´s great, but remeber: It´s shiny form sparkles golden in the light, but don´t be decieved, it´s still Magicarp inside.

According to serebii the shiny specifically has the square sparkle, so even red gyarados would have something special

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)