SS OU TRAFFIC COPS - A hyper offense team

Introduction
Hey everyone, my name is Jediment. I've been lurking around the competitive Pokemon community since around 2007, mainly playing around the release of new games. It's been absolute ages since I've posted an RMT - I'm not a well known tournament player and I've never topped the ladder so I'm not sure how much interest it'll generate, but I worked on this team a lot and wanted to share. Despite me being a pretty average player, I managed to get myself up as high as around 1450 Elo / 60% GXE on the OU ladder with around 100 games.

Concept
My preferred playstyle has evolved over my career as a player, but a while ago I settle on hyper offense as my preferred team style for its straightforward game plan. This team takes a fairly standard hyper offense approach: control the opponent's speed so I can crush them with my team's overwhelming power. I pack three different forms of speed control, each intended to take on different types of threats, ultimately supporting some extremely strong setup Pokemon. Like many hyper offense teams, this one doesn't like to do too much switching. It prefers to grab initiative once and just run away with the game from there.

Team Members

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Stun Spore

Ribombee is traffic cop #1 and the team's primary speed control. Her main goal is to put down sticky web, and ideally spread paralysis as much as possible. With Smeargle gone, Ribombee makes for the best webs lead available - her surprisingly strong Moonblast can OHKO offensive Grimmsnarl leads that threaten with a prankster taunt, and Stun Spore can put the brakes on turn 1 setup users like Gyarados and Excadrill. I rarely get much use out of Bug Buzz, but it hits Reuniclus hard. I've considered switching it out for Reflect, but I'm not sure I would get much use out of it either way.

Dracovish @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Substitute

It's no secret that The Big Vish is one of the scariest wallbreakers in the meta right now. Fishious Rend synergizes amazingly with sticky web, allowing Dracovish to outspeed many Pokemon it normally wouldn't and completely decimate them. Psychic Fangs is Dracovish's next strongest move thanks to the Strong Jaw boost, and has the benefit of also breaking screens. Crunch helps vs Aegislash, but in practice I almost never use it. Substitute is a cool option that prevents Dracovish from getting crippled in matchups against really defensive Pokemon, especially Corsola-Galar. Lastly, I opt for Life Orb so I'm not forced to lose momentum if the opponent switches in their own Dracovish or another 4x water resist.

Gengar @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Gengar saw a massive buff this generation with its new access to Nasty Plot, as well as Max Ooze. This set takes full advantage of Gengar's raw power and its great base speed. With sticky web up, Gengar can outspeed scarfed base 95s (and outspeeds non-scarfed base 95s even with no webs), meaning it's pretty safe to just click Sludge Wave/Max Ooze. If Gengar can get off a nasty plot, it's basically a free win unless there's a scarf Hydreigon or a Sucker Punch user still running about. Thunderbolt helps check Gyarados and Corviknight, the latter of whom often switches into it predicting a sludge wave. My favorite tech on this set is the Kasib Berry - it means Gengar will always win against opposing Ditto and Aegislash unless it has significant prior damage.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break

Traffic cop #2! Initially I felt Bisharp was the team's weak link, but as I spent more time I discovered that he in fact is the true hero of the group. Defiant is just ridiculously good in the Gen VIII metagame, allowing Bisharp to punish defog, opposing sticky web, max darkness, max strike and loads of other effects. Bisharp's raw power with sucker punch is pretty crazy, and he can easily sweep opposing teams with priority spam. SD lets Bisharp take advantage of his good defensive typing to boost and force switches, while iron head gives it a shot against most fairies. Brick break is the odd one out - losing knock off was sad for Bisharp, but at least now it can clear screens and hit Ferrothorn.

Dragapult @ Air Balloon
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

This one is for sure a bit out of left field. Being so reliant on sticky web, I needed something that could block and punish attempts at rapid spin. The game's premier spinner right now is Excadrill, and Gengar is definitely not the one to punish that. Bulky ghost types that don't completely lose initiative are surprisingly hard to come by, but I zeroed in on Dragapult for its surprisingly decent bulk, high speed and wide movepool. This set can confidently switch into basically any Excadrill set and punish with either WoW or Fire Blast. FB also deals around 85% to typical Ferrothorn sets, letting Dragapult OHKO it with a bit of prior chip damage. Despite the complete lack of speed investment, it still reaches 320 speed, enough to outspeed base 95. U-turn lets me keep initiative if Dragapult forces a switch, while Dragon Pulse provides a more useful attacking move against any non-Steel types. I use Dragapult as a utility pivot to keep initiative and spread burns, while netting surprise damage with Fire Blast.

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Big Lips is the game's premier scarf user thanks to his crazy power, and the role he serves as traffic cop #3 is pretty similar to how he functions on other teams. Darmanitan keeps really fast stuff in check, revenge kills sweepers and forces switches on scary attackers like Hydreigon. It's not uncommon for me to abuse Dynamax on Darmanitan to undo his choice lock. The moveset chosen here is pretty unremarkable - I mainly spam crazy powerful Icicle Crashes, and bring out Flare Blitz or EQ for predicted switches to Ferrothorn and Toxapex respectively. U-turn is good for holding initiative when I know the opponent will be forced out.

Threats
While this team has no trouble executing its sweeps in most circumstances, there are a handful of major threats that need to be carefully played around, or the team can be overwhelmed.​
  • Early Gyarados: Taking down Gyarados requires me to either land a successful stun spore or have Gengar or boosted Bisharp on the field before Gyarados can start to set up. Since it's immune to sticky web, once it gets going there's little I can do to stop it as Bisharp's sucker punch can't OHKO, especially with Dynamax.​
  • Scarf Hydreigon: Another web-immune murder machine that can shrug off sucker punch, Hydreigon is especially scary if it can abuse Dynamax to lose its choice lock. With a scarf, it outspeeds Darmanitan and can OHKO with flamethrower. My best answer is to force the opponent to Dynamax something else, then trap Hydreigon into an unfavorable choice lock. It really helps if Ribombee survived, especially if it survived with an intact Sash, as it opens up a chance for a Moonblast kill.​
  • Hawlucha: See a pattern here? Things don't have to play by the rules of the speed control I set up, fliers and levitaters with high speed, are a huge threat to the team. Hawlucha is like Gyarados in that once it's started to set up it's just too late.​

Closing Thoughts
I really appreciate you all taking the time to read through my team. I may not be an amazing, ladder topping player but I'm pretty happy with how the team came out and how I've been playing with it. I'd be really happy to hear your thoughts and feedback on the team.​

Air Balloon is really subpar on Dragapult. It doesn't really do anything except allow you to switch into Excadrill's Earthquake, but you already stated that you prefer not to switch that much with this team. Also, once popped, Dragapult is effectively item-less. A much better set would be Choice Specs for extra power, or Life Orb if you want more control and wall-breaking potential against fat cores like Ferrothorn+Toxapex. Here are two recommended sets for Dragapult:

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

OR

Dragapult @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

I think the Life Orb set is much better here, because since you're running Hyper Offense you'll want something that can easily break apart defensive cores to pave the way for your sweepers. Dragapult annihilates many defensive mons like the aforementioned Ferrothorn and Toxapex, but also breaks apart Galarian Corsola, Corviknight, Mandibuzz, and others that are annoying for your team.

Dracovish's set is also subpar. You're better off just running Choice Band and smacking everything super hard. It doesn't really matter if they switch into their own Dracovish or a 4x water resist, they still take an incredible amount of damage. The only thing that that stops it is Water Absorb, but if you play smart you can still manage to outmaneuver Seismitoad/Jellicent/Gastrodon by damaging them with your other Pokemon. Substitute + Life Orb usually isn't that good anyways, and Choice Band Fishious Rend will 2HKO Galarian Corsola anyways, meaning it can't safely switch into you unless they get lucky with Cursed Body.

In your threats list, you say that Gyarados and Hawlucha are some of your biggest weaknesses. A good way to counter both of them is Rindo Berry Rotom-Wash. It can switch into either, survive anything (with Rindo Berry preventing Gyarados's Power Whip from killing you) and cripple them with either Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave depending on the situation. Here is the recommended set for Rotom-Wash:

Rotom-Wash @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Because you struggle with Hydreigon, another Pokemon you may want to consider is Dual Screens Grimmsnarl. It can switch into any of Hydreigon's STAB moves and either threaten it out with Spirit Break or setup Dual Screens to give you more opportunities to setup something like Bisharp. Speaking of Bisharp, if it's KOed you have nothing preventing your opponent from just using Defog on your Sticky Web, which Taunt protects against. Grimmsnarl is a great support mon for Hyper Offense teams in general. Here is the optimal set for it:

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

Personally, while I love Gengar, I don't feel like it does too much for your team considering you already have Dragapult for an offensive Ghost-type, and Bisharp kills Fairy-types anyways so Poison coverage isn't absolutely crucial. I would replace it with either of the Rotom-Wash or Grimmsnarl sets I posted above. Dracovish also feels meh and I would either replace it or change it to Choice Band.

Air Balloon is really subpar on Dragapult. It doesn't really do anything except allow you to switch into Excadrill's Earthquake, but you already stated that you prefer not to switch that much with this team. Also, once popped, Dragapult is effectively item-less. A much better set would be Choice Specs for extra power, or Life Orb if you want more control and wall-breaking potential against fat cores like Ferrothorn+Toxapex. Here are two recommended sets for Dragapult:

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

OR

Dragapult @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

I think the Life Orb set is much better here, because since you're running Hyper Offense you'll want something that can easily break apart defensive cores to pave the way for your sweepers. Dragapult annihilates many defensive mons like the aforementioned Ferrothorn and Toxapex, but also breaks apart Galarian Corsola, Corviknight, Mandibuzz, and others that are annoying for your team.

Dracovish's set is also subpar. You're better off just running Choice Band and smacking everything super hard. It doesn't really matter if they switch into their own Dracovish or a 4x water resist, they still take an incredible amount of damage. The only thing that that stops it is Water Absorb, but if you play smart you can still manage to outmaneuver Seismitoad/Jellicent/Gastrodon by damaging them with your other Pokemon. Substitute + Life Orb usually isn't that good anyways, and Choice Band Fishious Rend will 2HKO Galarian Corsola anyways, meaning it can't safely switch into you unless they get lucky with Cursed Body.

In your threats list, you say that Gyarados and Hawlucha are some of your biggest weaknesses. A good way to counter both of them is Rindo Berry Rotom-Wash. It can switch into either, survive anything (with Rindo Berry preventing Gyarados's Power Whip from killing you) and cripple them with either Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave depending on the situation. Here is the recommended set for Rotom-Wash:

Rotom-Wash @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Because you struggle with Hydreigon, another Pokemon you may want to consider is Dual Screens Grimmsnarl. It can switch into any of Hydreigon's STAB moves and either threaten it out with Spirit Break or setup Dual Screens to give you more opportunities to setup something like Bisharp. Speaking of Bisharp, if it's KOed you have nothing preventing your opponent from just using Defog on your Sticky Web, which Taunt protects against. Grimmsnarl is a great support mon for Hyper Offense teams in general. Here is the optimal set for it:

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

Personally, while I love Gengar, I don't feel like it does too much for your team considering you already have Dragapult for an offensive Ghost-type, and Bisharp kills Fairy-types anyways so Poison coverage isn't absolutely crucial. I would replace it with either of the Rotom-Wash or Grimmsnarl sets I posted above. Dracovish also feels meh and I would either replace it or change it to Choice Band.
Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback! I definitely agree with you on a few points. Dracovish feels surprisingly mediocre, mainly because every team has multiple dedicated answers that can shut it down. I want to do some calcs of how CB dracovish will fare against ditto if it's locked into rend.

Regarding ghost types, I see your point about selecting dragapult over Gengar (better coverage vs better power) as a special wallbreaker but I do have some concerns that the drop in damage output will leave me unable to handle some bulky stuff like AV users. Making dragapult less defensive also definitely makes the excadrill matchup trickier, as I have to for sure predict the rapid spin as switching into an EQ will kill. I'll give it a try and see how it works in practice.

Regarding support Pokemon, both of them are great suggestions. Rotom seems like it would have better team synergy thanks to volt switch, while grimmsnarl could be a bit of a momentum sink. That said, grimmsnarl is a cool tech and getting up dual screen + web on this team is basically a free win.

I'll play around with these suggestions and see how they go in practice. Thanks again!!

What bulky mons do you use Gengar to kill? Specs dragapult shreds really hard and is still pretty bulky. An offensive dragapult can tank an EQ from Excadrill as long at doesnt crit.

What bulky mons do you use Gengar to kill? Specs dragapult shreds really hard and is still pretty bulky. An offensive dragapult can tank an EQ from Excadrill as long at doesnt crit.
Gengar can catch stuff like ttar if it's NP boosted. But I suppose I have a better answer to ttar anyway in Dracovish/Darm. Losing the easy win vs ditto and aegi that I get with the Kasib berry is tricky too, but bisharp can handle both decently well so I think it'll be ok.

Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback! I definitely agree with you on a few points. Dracovish feels surprisingly mediocre, mainly because every team has multiple dedicated answers that can shut it down. I want to do some calcs of how CB dracovish will fare against ditto if it's locked into rend.

Regarding ghost types, I see your point about selecting dragapult over Gengar (better coverage vs better power) as a special wallbreaker but I do have some concerns that the drop in damage output will leave me unable to handle some bulky stuff like AV users. Making dragapult less defensive also definitely makes the excadrill matchup trickier, as I have to for sure predict the rapid spin as switching into an EQ will kill. I'll give it a try and see how it works in practice.

Regarding support Pokemon, both of them are great suggestions. Rotom seems like it would have better team synergy thanks to volt switch, while grimmsnarl could be a bit of a momentum sink. That said, grimmsnarl is a cool tech and getting up dual screen + web on this team is basically a free win.

I'll play around with these suggestions and see how they go in practice. Thanks again!!
Of course, anytime!

In regards to switches into Excadrill, I think that due to the style of the team it's usually optimal to just put enough pressure onto your opponent where they simply cannot find an opportunity to Rapid Spin. Predicting correctly and playing super aggressively with a good team like this can usually nullify the weakness to Excadrill, and if you foresee your opponent switching into Excadrill I would just double switch into Dragapult, forcing your opponent to sack a mon and giving you an immediate advantage.

You are right that Dual Screens + Sticky Webs is pretty much impossible to come back from unless the opposing team has an incredible defensive core that they play perfectly, but even then Dragapult can still sometimes just completely eliminate those cores. You could even make it Modest for more power, because you have Sticky Webs to outspeed the mirror match anyways.

Maybe having a life orb clef could give your team some momentum and give you a check to Hydreigon. I'd toss for Gengar
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
Ideally, you'd want to scout and see if the hydreigon has flash cannon, if so you'd have to get some gnarly predictions.

Hey, just wanted to update this thread on some of the changes I played around with. Initially I tried switching Gengar for Rotom-W, switching dragapult to offensive LO and dracovish to CB. CB on Dracovish was a big winner, and it was immediately clear that it was a superior setup.

I was a bit surprised to find that Rotom-W was not actually that great at tanking a lot of hits. It struggled to safely land burns compared to the outgoing support dragapult set thanks to the lower speed, and it didn't take on Hawlucha well at all (CC white herb sets still handled rotom no problem).

At this point I swapped Rotom-W for the suggested Grimmsnarl set, and things improved immediately. Having a safe switch in to Hydreigon (barring flash cannon) is a godsend for this team, and the dual screens are surprisingly easy to get up and really open up a lot of additional choice. Taunt also gives me ample chance to set up.

Speaking of setting up, dragapults power compared to Gengar was kind of lacking. It was struggling to break through walls that Gengar handled easily, notably Toxapex, Mandibuzz, and Corsola. In theory dracovish can bust these with little issue, but in practice seismitoad is everywhere and can shut down dracovishs attempts to break them early game. I swapped dragapult for Gengar and found balance and even some offense teams much easier to handle. The current iteration of the team is Ribombee / Gengar / Bisharp / Dracovish / Grimmsnarl / Darmanitan.

A huge thank you to everyone who's commented so far!!

I am new, so I am learning the meta. What do you do about darmanitan?
Dealing with darm is interesting because of dynamax. Excluding dynamax, the best option is a Bisharp sucker punch, which can OHKO because darm has terrible defenses. However, dynamax darm only takes about 60% from sucker punch and can OHKO back with max flare or max quake. However, it can be worth sacking bisharp to bait the dmax on darm, since it loses scarf speed when dmaxed. At this point I can revenge it with my own darm. Gengar also outspeeds non scarf darm and can OHKO with sludge wave. So in practice, the question isn't so much "how to deal with Darm" as it is "how to predict when darm will drop dmax". And for that question I don't have a consistent answer, it really depends on the game state.

Dealing with darm is interesting because of dynamax. Excluding dynamax, the best option is a Bisharp sucker punch, which can OHKO because darm has terrible defenses. However, dynamax darm only takes about 60% from sucker punch and can OHKO back with max flare or max quake. However, it can be worth sacking bisharp to bait the dmax on darm, since it loses scarf speed when dmaxed. At this point I can revenge it with my own darm. Gengar also outspeeds non scarf darm and can OHKO with sludge wave. So in practice, the question isn't so much "how to deal with Darm" as it is "how to predict when darm will drop dmax". And for that question I don't have a consistent answer, it really depends on the game state.
Or just use rotom-heat lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)