Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there a core which can fit in with a screens Kings rock cloyster? I wanna make a team with it because it could easily set up on physical attackers and potentially sweep teams. I will give credit to an RMT that I’m gonna do if I think the team is good enough. Please reply!

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a core which can fit in with a screens Kings rock cloyster? I wanna make a team with it because it could easily set up on physical attackers and potentially sweep teams. I will give credit to an RMT that I’m gonna do if I think the team is good enough. Please reply!
It tends to work best on hyper offensive teams, particularly those with some form of setup enabling like sticky webs or dual screens/aurora veil. I'd recommend pairing it with other offensive threats like mimikyu and hawlucha on a HO team personally.

Prime2049

Banned deucer.
A few good partners are CM Clefable (forces physical attackers such as Excadrill to kill it by using CM to become impervious to special attackers) and Trick Obstagoon (can burn Pokemon such as Body Press Corviknight before dying to allow Cloyster to set up).

I imagine Choice Band Dugtrio would be good to weaken Toxapex and Ferrothorn. Trapping a physical attacker and using Memento could provide set up opportunities too.

Thank You for all of you guys who answered! I'm kind of crying with happiness because a lot of people responded to my post.
I will try make the team by your suggestions, thanks!

A few good partners are CM Clefable (forces physical attackers such as Excadrill to kill it by using CM to become impervious to special attackers) and Trick Obstagoon (can burn Pokemon such as Body Press Corviknight before dying to allow Cloyster to set up).
Trick Goon is bad
I imagine Choice Band Dugtrio would be good to weaken Toxapex and Ferrothorn. Trapping a physical attacker and using Memento could provide set up opportunities too.
Band Duggy is a cool gimmick but it is pretty bad too.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why are people just dropping baseless claims in this thread now? Switcheroo Goon isn't even bad because you burn Corvi which is one of the only few semi-reliable defensive counterplays to Goon, and you can also steal important items from shit like Boots Mandi/Lefties on Hippo to get rid of your useless Orb after its activated. Obstruct has niche uses and only ends up really coming into play scouting choiced items, but when you consider what is running Choiced rn it's actually not even that big of a deal. Pults/Hydreigons will just U-turn on you and pretty much everything else that's slower like Vish/Aegi can't really 1v1 Goon anyway.

Banded Duggy can 2HKO Pex even if it gets burned by Scald, something that Sash can't do. It also traps SpDef Clef super reliably too. Like honestly it's not even that much worse than Sash. You still trap the main Pokemon that you're supposed to trap with Sash anyway, so what's so bad about it? It's also far easier to revenge kill with it because it doesn't depend on Sash being intact and it doesn't hit like a flaccid dick.

If you're gonna answer someone's question, answer someone's question. One liners stating an opinion with no substance doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:
Why are people just dropping baseless claims in this thread now? Switcheroo Goon isn't even bad because you burn Corvi which is one of the only few semi-reliable defensive counterplays to Goon, and you can also steal important items from shit like Boots Mandi/Lefties on Toad to get rid of your useless Orb after its activated. Obstruct has niche uses and only ends up really coming into play scouting choiced items, but when you consider what is running Choiced rn it's actually not even that big of a deal. Pults/Hydreigons will just U-turn on you and Aegi dies to Knock.

Banded Duggy can 2HKO Pex even if it gets burned by Scald, something that Sash can't do. It also traps SpDef Clef super reliably too. Like honestly it's not even that much worse than Sash.

If you're gonna answer someone's question, answer someone's question.
nice. I will consider it.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I only responded really to make sure you did not go solely off of the baseless post above, for what it's worth. I echo the sentiment of Gary when it comes to justifying your answers so that people understand what is being said.

I think it is pretty bad.
Scarf actually has a purpose but band is just serves no purpose.
You can think that and it's fine, but Band Dugtrio is the most common and effective set right now. Dugtrio is not a great Pokemon in general atm in the eyes of some people, but nobody at all is using scarf and your claim about purpose is misleading, unjustified, and just flat wrong. Band is able to remove things that are chipped and also take out metagame staples like Toxapex and SDef Clefable.

Last edited by a moderator:
okayyy....
What is a set for CM clefable though? I'm trying to search it up on smogon, but there are a TON of sites blocking my way
I find Clefable is a mon you build around your team, like Mew so it's hard to recommend a set without knowing your team. You can make it defensive, bulky or offensive. If it's for your Cloyster team I'd use:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Fire Blast

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 250-294 (82.2 - 96.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 309-364 (95.3 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Max speed Modest makes you speed tie offensive Aegislash because they never run a +speed nature. Even if you lose the speed tie you live even a Choice Band and Iron Head so I don't think Timid is needed. If you're using a suicide lead or otherwise might have trouble keeping Stealth Rocks Thunder is 100% 70% to OHKO on physically defensive Toxapex.

Last edited:
I find Clefable is a mon you build around your team, like Mew so it's hard to recommend a set without knowing your team. You can make it defensive, bulky or offensive. If it's for your Cloyster team I'd use:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Fire Blast

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 250-294 (82.2 - 96.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 309-364 (95.3 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Max speed Modest makes you speed tie offensive Aegislash because they never run a +speed nature. Even if you lose the speed tie you live even a Choice Band and Iron Head so I don't think Timid is needed. If you're using a suicide lead or otherwise might have trouble keeping Stealth Rocks Thunder is 100% 70% to OHKO on physically defensive Toxapex.
thanks, I found another set from someone with a ribombee avatar, will test which one is good
I will credit you both....wait thats a lot of credits

Hi everybody! I was looking through Smogon's StrategyDex and I noticed that Galarian Slowpoke is in OU tier. Is that just a temporary placing, or is there something about it that really makes it that strong?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hi everybody! I was looking through Smogon's StrategyDex and I noticed that Galarian Slowpoke is in OU tier. Is that just a temporary placing, or is there something about it that really makes it that strong?
It is a new Pokemon that does not evolve (yet), therefore it starts in OU. It is not at all viable in OU so you should see it as a temporary placing.

It's because all newly released Pokemon start off in OU. Slowpoke can't be treated as an LC Pokemon for the time being because it cannot evolve.
Oh! I see. But shouldn't it be like, limbo, or something? I know It's actually released, unlike our friend Zeraora in early SM OU, but shouldn't it start as Limbo, since it's basically an incomplete pokemon? I may be absolutely wrong, but maybe "discuss" the possibility it's worth? I dunno, honestly

okayyy....
What is a set for CM clefable though? I'm trying to search it up on smogon, but there are a TON of sites blocking my way
I don’t know what you plan to do with it but I’ve been saying since the Dynamax ban that CM Clefable is a great wincon with the added bonus of being a good defensive option in the early/mid game. This is the set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight

have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)