Online Competition EXTREME SPEED! SINGLE BATTLES!!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Streamed 30 games today, I'll put thought in a spoiler tag in case people want to watch without knowing.....

So I just cycled through each of my 6, sticking to one mon until it lost and then move onto the next mon. This was obviously not ideal because I could have just stuck with Lapras and gone 25-5 or something. I'm frustrated at the record but can't be too mad because of my approach which was purely to make the stream interesting....

I kept a record of my streak with loss notes:

avaluggW W L W L
togekissW W L L
tyranitarW W L W W L
aegislashW L W L
cloysterL L
laprasW W W W L W W W L

LOSSES:

avaluggwhimsicott (moonblast vs 2 hit spear) / corsola
togekisscloyster (no flinch) / glalie
tyranitartoxapex / WP+NP gleam kiss (2 hit rock blast)
aegislashsirfetched / cinderace (missed pyro t1 but prob sash sucker anyway)
cloysterLO gallade OHKOed with CC / togekiss (flinched)
laprasCB ferro / BD head smash eiscue

Might play the remaining 15 tomorrow and just spam Lapras. No one seemed to be prepared for it specifically. Sirfetch'd doesn't count and CB ferro is an unmon imho!

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
In the current Smogon meta, PP stall corvi has won ~15 games straight. It has the interesting quirk of both being able to beat a lot of passive mons and a lot of offensive mons. It does lose to a few big mons, but I've found that many people trying to answer those big mons also lose to it.

For reference: in Cantsay's team, it would lose to Cloyster and Lapras (but beat everything else). However, it beats things like Sirfetch'd and Sylveon pretty handily. It's very much an anti-anti-meta pick.

SaltyBirb (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Spite
- Iron Head
- Roost

Day 2 - After Crustle the Bustle, I used a Choice Band Sawk to go 11-1. Close Combat / Low Sweep / Throat Chop / Counter. My record is shot, but I’ll def be closing out tomorrow with him.
E37595E6-BEC6-4C40-997A-B0C9387DE8D5.jpeg

Streamed 30 games today, I'll put thought in a spoiler tag in case people want to watch without knowing.....

So I just cycled through each of my 6, sticking to one mon until it lost and then move onto the next mon. This was obviously not ideal because I could have just stuck with Lapras and gone 25-5 or something. I'm frustrated at the record but can't be too mad because of my approach which was purely to make the stream interesting....

I kept a record of my streak with loss notes:

avaluggW W L W L
togekissW W L L
tyranitarW W L W W L
aegislashW L W L
cloysterL L
laprasW W W W L W W W L

LOSSES:

avaluggwhimsicott (moonblast vs 2 hit spear) / corsola
togekisscloyster (no flinch) / glalie
tyranitartoxapex / WP+NP gleam kiss (2 hit rock blast)
aegislashsirfetched / cinderace (missed pyro t1 but prob sash sucker anyway)
cloysterLO gallade OHKOed with CC / togekiss (flinched)
laprasCB ferro / BD head smash eiscue

Might play the remaining 15 tomorrow and just spam Lapras. No one seemed to be prepared for it specifically. Sirfetch'd doesn't count and CB ferro is an unmon imho!
I tried a few matches with Cloyster before switching...I think people are on to him, and there’s more fun stuff to try

Last edited:
I completed DAY 3 with 9:6 and my final rating is 1643, currently #865

pkm-result.jpg

I used only Snorlax, as its my favorite pokemon ... not the best in this format, but still worked quite well.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Darkest Lariat
- Heavy Slam

I originally planned to go Brave nature with zero speed IVs to have a 50% chance against Perish Body Cursola and win against Perish Song Lapras that stop after one Curse. But as most Lapras on Showdown did go for double Curse, I choose the faster spread to have a chance to kill Lapras before the end of Perish Song and also outspeed some other 30 base speed pokemons. But in the competition there was no situation where any of these would have had an impact.

If someone is interested in what I encountered today, heres a list:
1: L - Lucario @ Life Orb - oneshotted me with Close Combat before I could act
2: W - Hydreigon - attacked with Dark Pulse, onshoted it with Giga Impact
3: L - Toxapex @ Black Sludge - setup with Stockpile and Recover, killed me with Toxic
4: W - Indeedee @ Ganlon Berry - setup with Calm Mind into Rest, threeshoted it with Heavy Slam
5: W - Clefable - setup with Calm Mind, oneshoted it with Heavy Slam
6: W - Aegislash - attacked with Close Combat, oneshoted it with Earthquake
7: W - Togekiss - flinched me once with Air Slash, oneshoted it with Heavy Slam
8: L - Bisharp @ Focus Sash, twoshoted me with Low Kick
9: W - Tyranitar @ Focus Sash, landed Stone Edge twice, twoshoted it with Earthquake
10: W - Bronzong @ Weakness policy - attacked me with Earthquake, twoshoted it with Darkest Lariat
11: L - Toxapex @ Black Sludge - killed me with Toxic, Baneful Bunker, Recover
12: L - Togedemaru @ Liechi Berry, used Ironhead first turn, killed me with Reversal on second turn after proccing Sturdy
13: L - Lapras @ Sitrus Berry - landed second Sheer Cold against me
14: W - Sableye @ Choice Scarf - used Trick first turn and then locked itself into Disable, killed it with Heavy Slam and Struggle
15: W - Excadrill @ Focus Sash - setup with Swords Dance and tried to flinch me with Rock Slide, twoshoted it with Earthquake

DAY 3 final results: Rating 1681, rank #293 (subject to change), went 8/6*. Pretty rough.

Notes:
I started at No. 449 today. My No. of Battles while waiting for my first was 31, I don't remember if it counted the current or if it's counting the dropped connection from yesterday. Either way, my rating was still the same.
1584839133573.png
1: shiny Toxapex W - easy rotom tricks to 2hko
2: aegislash L - Weakness policy, Galar Champion,
3: freeze dry lapras L :(
4: shiny level ball aegislash L (crit mattered) - flash cannon killed whimsicott
5: Solo Pyukumuku W (crit mattered) - Rocky helmet
6: primarina leftovers W - he used moonblast, expected from the last Primarina
7: snorlax L - Outraged rotom.
8: shell bell vaporeon W - like 1506 rating, team seemed like a kid picking random cool but not meta mons. F
9: crawdaunt W - one shot
10: shiny lucario W - "great friend"
11: shiny leafeon L - Death by bullet (seed). 4 Eeveelution team and corv/rotom heat
12: "Milobellus" w/ Sitrus - W through the freeze and thaw. Thank you sirfetch'd. Muddy water/Recover/Ice beam/Protect
13: sash aegislash W - Tricked him into swords dance. Turn 2 forfeit
14: Solo sash crawdaunt L - Knock off into aqua jet hurts
15: Apparently I hit the game limit
In the end I only got 14 games today. Thank you game freak.
I first ended at #295, but I refreshed the score while writing this, and apparently my rating went up to #293. I feel like top 500 is possible.

The team: I went with Whimsicott/Rotom-Wash/Aegislash/Obstagoon/Morpeko/Sirfetch'd, taking sets from this thread and what I had on hand. Shoutouts to ivy. Whimsicott got beat a lot, probably due to lack of Sash (on morpeko). Rotom did pretty well and I ended up using it often. I took my ingame Steadfast Sirfetch'd without Feint, and it fortunately didn't end up mattering. My proudest moment was killing a Darmanitan-G by dropping a meteor with a crit through a burn. Unfortunate that they released Scrappy in event raids now of all times. I stopped using Aegislash after Day 1 and hearing that it was the meta, lol.
Mccooldude I almost used your Corviknight set, but I found out Spite was a decidueye egg move, so I just took Morpeko. Aura wheel is nice.

This format was pretty fun, you win and you lose. Good show gamefreak. Metronome battles when?
EDIT: Added some battle descriptions
EDIT 2: Fought a lot of water types today

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finished at 1819 from a peak of 1831 after some chicanery. If anyone's yet to lock in their team, might I suggest spamming Lapras, it's what I did.
yeah after having fun with all 6 mons on stream for 30 games I just did the remaining 15 off stream with just Lapras and went 12-2 to finish 44th with 1711! I got lucky twice by dodging a Bolt Beak in one game and then winning the -6 Lapras tie in the final game to get over the 1700 hump. Got a game left to do but I’m not risking my luck to drop back to 1690s lol. Wonder how good I could have done using Lapras the whole comp, only ran into 1 Sirfetch’d (which I lost to with Aegi) and lucked the one Zolt I ran into, but basically all my losses without Lapras are Lapras wins so :blobshrug:

I made it a bit more fun by bringing 6 and switching each match, unfortunately two of the mons were quite useless and cost me wins but it was fun anyway. Does make me wonder how much better I would have done if i didn't use the first two :blobshrug:

-------

Thick Fat Appletun --> Got zero wins, was overall not that great to use. Moveset was Recover/Leech Seed/Dragon Pulse/Apple Acid

Oblivious Mamoswine --> Was mainly added to stop Sableye shenanigans. Only won two battles, both vs Mimikyu. Moveset was Icicle Spear/Ice Shard/Earthquake/Rock Blast (to hit sashes and damage mimikyu)

Scarf Togekiss --> Only had struggles vs a couple of Aegislash, otherwise did extremely well. Air Slash/Flamethrower/Aura Sphere/Dazzling Gleam.

Sirfetch'd --> Excellent vs Lapras, only died to a couple of mons, overall did 2nd best of my mons. Leaf Blade/Brave Bird/First Impression/Meteor Assault. Figured 1v1 Meteor Assault would be useful.

Mirror Armor Corviknight --> Only lost twice, though overall i think getting strong matchups for itself really sealed the wins. Body Press/Brave Bird/Iron Head/Roost. Probably should have had Bulk Up too, but it was tough to decide if 1v1 really needed it.

Evil Corsola --> This thing was not countered, not even once. Had people who subbed in front of it LMAO. Curse/Will-O-Wisp/Night Shade/Strength Sap . Helped that it didn't run into Sableye or Ghost/Dark special attackers in the battles i chose it.

--------------

Lapras was a lot easier to beat than i was expecting, lost only once vs it.
Cloyster was so easy with Corviknight and Corsola, also the only two to run into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)