Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

According to the showdown calc, modest specs Jirachi doom desire is a guaranteed OHKO on Clefable:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 486-572 (123.3 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, in the replay below, Clefable only takes 96%:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1088572682

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I double checked and I'm 100% certain my Jirachi is modest with specs, and we see Clefable's leftovers so it's not like it's AV or anything. How did it survive?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
According to the showdown calc, modest specs Jirachi doom desire is a guaranteed OHKO on Clefable:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 486-572 (123.3 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, in the replay below, Clefable only takes 96%:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1088572682

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I double checked and I'm 100% certain my Jirachi is modest with specs, and we see Clefable's leftovers so it's not like it's AV or anything. How did it survive?
Jirachi's Choice Specs don't boost Doom Desire if Jirachi is switched out when it hits. I know it's weird but that's how it works. The same applies to Future Sight.

I want to use a defensive Xatu, what would be the best spread?

And before you tell me I have to calc it myself, stop, just stop. I always steal spreads from the analysis, just don't know what to calc for, and I do not want to waste any time to do stuff like that while there are existing spreads that work way better than anything I can come up with.

Sorry for this little rant, but people always answer stuff like that just so cause they don't have any good spreads and then people just think 'oh, he got an answer, guess he doesn't need my Xatu spread'.

You really don't need to do anything specific with Xatu; there's not really any important Speed benchmarks you need to hit and Xatu's bulk is really mediocre to the point you don't even really have the option to hit any important potential benchmarks. That said, it's best to just run maximum Defense investment with a Bold nature to pivot into certain Pokemon like Conkeldurr a little better.

Is there a place where I might be able to access the usage stats for week 1 of OUPL? I'm kinda curious to see what that meta looks like, even though Arena Trap is still legal there.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is there a place where I might be able to access the usage stats for week 1 of OUPL? I'm kinda curious to see what that meta looks like, even though Arena Trap is still legal there.
Not currently, we might get someone to do this later on. We're undecided as of now, however.

It's viable but I wouldn't recommend it; it's even easier to force a Knock Off onto Rotom-H with Pokemon like Ferrothorn or Mandibuzz if it's your Defogger, which is even more punishing than it is normally because you'll be switching into Stealth Rock pretty often. Rotom-H also doesn't match up very well against Seismitoad, which is still one of the best Stealth Rock users. If you absolutely need the role compression, it can work, though.

I see that Melmetal is being suspected. When I went to go load up a team with him it said he was banned. Is there a time for when the ladder will be allowed to use him.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
I see that Melmetal is being suspected. When I went to go load up a team with him it said he was banned. Is there a time for when the ladder will be allowed to use him.
Not exactly, it will be implemented when a programmer is available to do it

Forgot to ask something else here lol
What is the most standard Sand team in the current meta? (feel free to drop a PokéPaste if you want lol)
Clefable / Hippowdon / Ferrothorn / Excadrill / Rotom-H / Dragapult, a sand team built by FLCL, has been making some big waves lately and is by many considered to be the best sand team in the current metagame.

What spreads/sets have you guys been experimenting with on CB melmetal? I've been using 16 speed EVs to creep hat/reuni. 252 attack adamant, rest hp.

Iron bash
EQ
Thunderpunch
Superpower

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Hello hello, is there any way to deal with Conk in Stall? This mon give me troubles

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hello hello, is there any way to deal with Conk in Stall? This mon give me troubles
A good way of easing your matchup against Conkeldurr is putting 136 Speed EVs on Clefable to outspeed it. Having a Ghost-type on your team also helps as it makes Conkeldurr's Fighting STABs and Facade less spammable, but you have to watch out for Knock Off of course.

Reactions: R8
A good way of easing your matchup against Conkeldurr is putting 136 Speed EVs on Clefable to outspeed it. Having a Ghost-type on your team also helps as it makes Conkeldurr's Fighting STABs and Facade less spammable, but you have to watch out for Knock Off of course.
Doesn't investing so heavily in speed worsen clef's matchup against most of the other things its supposed to check (like dragapult for example)? Is it worth it when defensive clef can't even OHKO conk, and conk basically kills clef in return?
Is there no better alternative way to deal with it?

Ruft

OU Leader
Doesn't investing so heavily in speed worsen clef's matchup against most of the other things its supposed to check (like dragapult for example)? Is it worth it when defensive clef can't even OHKO conk, and conk basically kills clef in return?
Is there no better alternative way to deal with it?
You're definitely right that it worsens its matchup against other threats, but that's why you usually see teammates like Snorlax (which Clefable checks Conkeldurr for) and Corviknight on (semi-)stall to help check those. Clefable does 78.6 - 92.8% with Moonblast and considering burn chip I definitely think it's worth considering it if you're weak to Conkeldurr because you're using Snorlax for instance.
There are other ways to play around or pressure Conkeldurr like using Togekiss and/or offensive Ghost-types, but the question specified stall which usually doesn't feature these.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Isn't this prediction reliant? Clefable doesn't really like to switch in Facade
Does a pokemon walling Conk exists?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)