Project OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 87 - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting for SubToxic. Choiced elecs r shit+not being able to switch moves turns Zera from batshit threatening to omega lame.
(though in the future try to have a more unique set if you're using the same item as someone else)
Note taken, but I don't see how the sets are comparable outside of item choice—WU+Shuca is much more comparable to BU than to AOA wrt how it functions.
I was on the verge of voting the AoA Shuca Berry set (because it is similar to mine), but that Naive nature over Jolly should be more explained in my opinion: what are the KOs achieved with a neutral nature on the SpA? I don't know.
4 SpA Zeraora Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 230-272 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4- SpA Zeraora Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 206-244 (49 - 58%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's not strictly necessary, but it'd be kinda sucky to not have that KO guaranteed if they WishPort into it or whatever. U can run jolly if u want for the slighly improved Clef MU, but given the lack of a boosting item it's nice to have the slight power bolster. It KOs Seismi slightly earlier too fwiw—2 SR SIs+1 layer of Spikes is enough to KO with Naive whereas Jolly almost never even cracks 75%, which is esp. useful considering it could just get WishPorted back up later on to continue checking Rotom or whatever else.

I was on the verge of voting the AoA Shuca Berry set (because it is similar to mine), but that Naive nature over Jolly should be more explained in my opinion: what are the KOs achieved with a neutral nature on the SpA? I don't know.

On a side note, I am surprise because nobody posted a Choice Band set....strange: it would be my second choice if it was possible to submit a 2nd creative set.
On the AoA Shuca set, I'm pretty sure the Naive nature is just to ensure that a spammable move (volt switch) does decent damage. Similar to why Torn-T ran hasty or naive sets on occasion last gen. Thanks for the vote btw.

On the Choice Band set, I was tossing up between picking Band and Specs myself. In the end the vast majority of Zera's counters are physically based, and the way it gets around said counters is through steroids bulking up, or carrying the correct coverage move and switching moves. Band means you can't do that.

I've got to go with SPecs by ReadtheMango. I messed around with it replacing Focus Blast with Aura Sphere and it worked just as well.
Thanks for the vote and feedback. Will add Aura Sphere as an option on the set.

In other news, I'm especially liking all of the toxic and taunt sets this week. Smart way to get around counters. Same with that fuego CM set. My only problem with the toxic sets is their inability to deal with an up and coming counter G-Weezing. Therefore my vote has to go to Calm Mind.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Note taken, but I don't see how the sets are comparable outside of item choice—WU+Shuca is much more comparable to BU than to AOA wrt how it functions.
I meant more unique as in not one of the standard movesets, but it's probably fine in this case because you explained the value of the set well and I do see the merit of it. I was just thinking "item someone else already used + standard moveset" would be a lazy submission, but considering the quality of your submission isn't bad I think it's a good idea if we look at it on a more case-by-case basis in the future, so you're good.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/zeraora:

Time to conclude the voting! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 16 is SubToxic by Amir. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And let's move towards the next Cycle!

Cycle Seventeen - Excadrill
:ss/excadrill:

Thanks to huge Attack stat further augmented by Swords Dance, cool STAB combination covering the majority of the metagame, and decent enough Speed tier, Excadrill holds its place as one of the top offensive threats in the metagame. It may be a terrifying sweeper with Sand Rush and paired with a Sand setter, a wallbreaker with Mold Breaker, or even a suicide lead for hyper offenses. Of course, Excadrill is also one of the few viable hazard removers of the tier due to its access to Rapid Spin. So, we want you guys to toy with the mole's movepool and bring us some real heat here!

Banned Sets
:leftovers:|:life orb:|:focus sash:

The deadline is Wednesday 6th of May. Good luck!

~~

On another note, we got a new amazing banner! Huge thanks to lyd for making it for us!

Amir

Banned deucer.
Toxic Mold Breaker Excadrill

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 172 HP / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock / Iron Head

The idea behind this set is a very fat mole which sponges hits from special attackers, spins away hazards and lures in fat grounds and tries to weaken them for teammates using Toxic.
This set may work well with electric types that enjoy he removal of these fat grounds.
The reason for this spread is well just max speed to speedtie opposing drills outside of sand. 172 HP EVs which hits 404 hp, a lefties number and 84 SpD just to absorb random special moves that may be fired at driller. such as hex's from Dragapult, Flamethrower from Hydrei (94% chance to live from modest LO from full), has a good chance to live a CC from lefties Zeraora. This set loves to be partnered with hazards and even hex pult.

Flaming Mole
:ss/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

The best Corviknight bait out there. With Flame Orb equipped(inactivated) and Fling, it is almost certain to get one opposing check to be burned, which are Corviknights, Ferrothorns, Seismitoads, Kommo-o, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, all of these does not appreciate a burn and will further cripple their usability. The usual Rapid Spin as hazard remover+speed incremental, with 144 speed(248), a +1 Speed will hit 372 which outspeeds Rotom-Heat and Cinderace. Earthquake+Iron Head as STAB. 84 Defense EV is applied to live a Guts boosted Conkeldurr Mach Punch, 28 SpD EV allow it to live 2 Draco Meteors from Specs Dragapult.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1107717038 Corviknight busted turn 1
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1107704584 Dragapult busted turn 21
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1107699553 Seismitoad busted turn 1

Last edited:
I think this set is cool
Excadrill
252atk/252speed
Nature: Jolly/ Adamant
Sand Force
@Eject Button
- Endure
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin/Swords Dance/Substitute/Stealth Rock

So this might not be as great as the sand rush set, however if you want a pure wallbreaker this can get the job done. There is alot it can do either clean up hole punch and set up rocks. It is self explanitory with sand force making its Earthquake extremely powerful as with adamant it can 2hko fully phys def Ferrothorn and Mandibuzz with Earthquake/rock slide respectively which is no easy task. Sand must be up to get the boost however once it is, it will not be an issue getting it back up with eject button and endure combo letting it switch to Hippowdon(or tyranitar) so put sand back up or pivot to something that can take care of opposing mons threatening Excadrill like Conkeldurr. Nothing is switching in without getting Ohkod or severely crippled...sorry clefable. Thanks guys this was fun, thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Gigalith is the crucial partner you needed with this set since it brings sand and has the move: Gravity.
The idea is pretty simple: Many teams rely on Corviknight to deal with Excadrill. Once the gravity and weather is set up, Band Excadrill shall have the insane power with almost none-resist Earthquake smashing the opposites team unless they bring Hippowdon.
The Nature depends on whether you want to hit things harder or have the confidence when compete with other's Excadrill
Toxic is for the Hippowdon (It's annoying and can live 2 hits so the support is needed) and also for some emergency moments (like cosmic power mew)
In general, it could have a big advantage when opposite team's drill answer is only Corviknight, but should have some struggles when Hippowdon is there.

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 386-456 (96.5 - 114%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 354-416 (88.5 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 165-195 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 178-210 (42.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 319-376 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 241-285 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 219-258 (52.8 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Reserving Trap Drill

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 60 Def / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Sand Tomb / Iron Head
- Protect

In testing, this thing was very interesting. Originally this set was conceived to punish common switch-ins to Excadrill not named Corviknight. It does this job pretty well. It beats out or otherwise severely weakens Seismitoad and Hippowdon in particular. Toad especially, which is why I pair this set with either or both Zeraora and Band Dracovish. These two Pokemon deal with Excadrill's main counter, Corvi. In a symbiotic relationship, Excadrill deals with their counters as well, minus Ferrothorn (which isn't much of a counter anyway). Excadrill will always live a move from Hippo and Toad (if they lack investment), so you can tank a hit from them as a last resort as well.

The given EVs allow Excadrill to utilise one of its best assets, its speed, while maximizing Substitute bulk with 101 HP subs. The amount of pressure that Excadrill puts out means that most mons slower than it will switch out, allowing for free Subs on the switch into said normal counter. From here you have two options. 1) Toxic said switch-in to spread status, which is generally your best option. 2) Sand Tomb said switch-in, trapping it and slowly whittle it down, which is a solid option against Toad. If you predict Hippo's recovery correctly you can end up getting both Sand Tomb and Toxic on it. Not to mention, if you have already spread toxic to these Pokemon, this set works even better. Making Salazzle and Rotom-H carrying Toxic solid options for teammates as well.

Also works wonders against Bisharp, who will always Sucker Punch if you have not revealed your set. Even Sand Tomb, as piddly as it is BP wise, will do enough damage to Bish to be a winning matchup, even if it's at +2.

So it goes Sub on Sucker -> Sand Tomb for 36.1 - 42.8% damage -> Protect -> Sand Tomb again for the culture, or Sub if you're chicken (only chance Bish has to outpredict you). -> Protect -> Sub on Sucker again -> Sand Tomb if not dead (or if in sand range, Protect).

Iron Head is an option on this set if you want a pure Sub Toxic set, and don't like using an Excadrill walled by Clef.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)