SS OU Deep Sea Dragons (1900 Rain Team)

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
dragapult-3.pngdracovish-2.pngpelipper.pngferrothorn-2.pngclefable-5.pngtoxapex-4.png

Before we get into this RMT, 2 things of note: For one, this 1900 climb was not from scratch, but from 1500 where I was chilling before making this team. Secondly, this team is rough around the edges, so going for twave hax as a wincon is quite necessary sometimes. W/that out of the way, lets get to it.
Proof of peak etc etc:
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 3.46.28 PM.png

What better time to post a vish team other than during its suspect? Anyways, Dracovish wasn't the original piece that lead to this teams creation, but in fact:

dragapult-3.png

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Hex
- Thunder

Specs dragapult has been falling out of favour, so I wanted to try out the specs hex set some friends were telling me about. This guy is both a breaker and your wincon, depending on the matchup you face. Basically you wanna play him aggressively, denying setup mons free turns while also capitalizing on mons such as clef that usually function as status absorbers. A status'd clef takes heavy chunks from hex, and is hardly a switch in to this monster. Thunder isnt just for show either. A big rise in primarina warranted its use, and it works.

dracovish-2.png

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Outrage

Not much to say here. I tried banded for more breaking power but then mons like rotom heat randomly become problematic, outspeeding everything bar dragapult who they can just go clef on. This guys job is just outspeed offensive threats and hit them where it hurts w/rain boosted rend. Psychic fangs for Toxapex/kommo, outrage to guarantee a desperation kill on a dragon type, and crunch to ease certain 50-50's.

pelipper.png

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog

This gens rain abusers are extremely poor. Dracovish is essentially the only one, and defensive peli hardly walls anything in the tier, so specs as a massive breaker in rain works very cleanly on this team. Weather ball in rain is 100BP stab boosted by rain with full accuracy, hurricane is stab 110 w/full accuracy in rain, uturn provides momentum and defog eases webs matchup. You dont ever defog unless its webs, you just out-hazard them if they set up anything else. This mon can be prediction heavy, but the one solid spdef mon in the tier gets easily 2hko'd by any of the stabs, so if you get your early 50-50's right then no wall stands in your way.

ferrothorn-2.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Protect / Power Whip / Body Press

Now we get to our defensive mons. Ferro is our steel type, our Zeraora soft-check and our spiker. Knock is overall good utility, removing healing and or boosting items always benefits the team in some way. Leech + lefties provides solid longevity for ferro and the rest of the team if played well, which is necessarily w/the lack of wish clef. The last slot has been a pain to decide. Well played primarina sets up on too much and kills too much, so I wanted whip. Bisharp matchup can be very hard so I wanted press. Protect helps getting extra leech damage on threats like Zeraora, and, more importantly, scouts Kyurem. I used protect 90% of my games, but almost every loss I did have was usually due to being mono knock off, so fill that slot as you see fit.

clefable-5.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

While I did originally like the idea of compressing clef into a rocker and to also use it to spam twave to cripple things for draga's hex or slow them down for pelipper, I felt like I might hate the lack of wish heals. However, I can safely say I haven't at all. Wish is great but rocks/wave clef's flow on this team is insane, and it still provides support in other more aggressive ways than WishTP does. People often feel safe staying in/going hard to so many pokemon worth waving like clef, ferro, corv, gengar, pex, aegislash etc. It does a solid job as a rocker too, so I love it on this team.

toxapex-4.png

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic Spikes

Lastly, the demon itself. Baneful bunker is also for kyurem scouting, and for checking vish (especially now that I'm setting rain for them). Also helps beat down Zeraora via poison into barbs/leech. Any poisons from bunker, any burns from scald, or any toxic's from tspikes all build to dragapult winning the endgame.

Threatlist

:Dragapult: WispHex is super duper annoying. You can bank on clef tanking any hit and twaving as a main way to beat it though

:Excadrill: If ferro is low and this thing sets up SD/Spin its basically game over. Keep heavy pressure on it, go hard into ur offensive mons.

:Bisharp: Pray ferro + pex beat it down

:Aegislash: See above

Kyurem and Vish are usually problems for rain, but since I ran protect ferro they never once bothered me. W/O tech u can lessen other threats, but make these 2 scarier.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/412f93794d87eacf

Last edited:
Nice team Acey. Though I'd hardly call it rain with three walls, no Damp Rock and no Swift Swimmer. The abusers are worse this gen compared to previous gens yes, but they really help deal with annoying fast things like Zera and SD + Spin Excadrill, which you are weak to.

Body Press on Ferro does check Bisharp and keep Exca from being greedy, so it's worth it as the fourth slot.

I've used this team a bit and I've found that it has too hard of a time breaking through opposing Ferrothorns.
The switch into Ferrothorn is Ferrothorn, just click Knock Off. A knocked Ferrothorn is 2HKOed by the 3 breakers.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I've used this team a bit and I've found that it has too hard of a time breaking through opposing Ferrothorns.
Vs ferro you knock, twave para and just get aggressive with the two specs users to beat it down. One of the 2 will likely get knocked off, so u need to decide which is less valuable during that game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)