Rules Past Format Battle Stadium SQSA

Sorry, what I'm really asking, is that you can only enter Pokemon in ranked battles that were bred in Galar? The official rules just say "Galar Pokedex" Was it like that in sun/moon? I'm not sure now.

Does anyone know if re-introduced HA Pokémon such as unaware Clefable are eligible for the Battle Stadium.

Like if I breed it on my SS game is it able to partake in ranked battles.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
This is how it works in the actual games. Unlike Smogon Tiers, Battle Stadium community has no ability to make administrative Decisions.

We have no intentions of breaking how the game actually handles legality. Whatever will be legal on the rated ladder WILL be free to use in the Battle Stadium PS Ladder. The only difference is when a tournament host decides that a legality change inbetween a tournament round will be applied in the next round of the tournament.
Ideally, considering this community is still a smogon community even if within the cartridge framework, I would hope our tours are locked between major updates. It seems like its only minor things for this one so it seems silly to make a big fuss about it, but if for example one of the flexible date expansion passes were released mid tour, I would hope for the sake of competitive integrity that we DO NOT add the update to our tour until the tour concludes, not just inbetween rounds.

I know DW has already made a statement more or less confirming the tours will made started based on the release of the expansions, but just in the case somehow this doesnt happen, I just want my stance to be very clear.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you mean in the actual game, or just on Showdown? I'm really disappointed to find out my pokemon from generation 6 and 7 cannot particpate in ranked battles, has it always been this way? I swore I could use what I transferred from XY to Sun/Moon in ranked battles? Am I wrong?
Gen 6 purged anything obtained in gen 5 or earlier. Gen 7 battle spot did allow mons obtained in gen 6 but VGC only allowed those obtained in gen 7. battle stadium seems to be following the VGC rules this gen so I guess it’s following the gen 6 / gen 7 VGC precedent.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in future seasons transferred mons are allowed. At the very least there will undoubtedly be an online competition that allows them. For now though you’ll have to use your transferred mons as parents in gen 8. as for what decisions TPCi makes regarding this; we have absolutely zero idea...

RIP aerial ace Ttar atm :psycry:

what are some good checks and counters for g-max lapras? I know dracovolt can ohko it but I have the worst luck with accuracy if my dynamax runs out and I'm a bit tired of using it.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
what are some good checks and counters for g-max lapras? I know dracovolt can ohko it but I have the worst luck with accuracy if my dynamax runs out and I'm a bit tired of using it.
What I like to do is stall out dynamax and punish afterwards. Take advantage of lapras’ meager attacking stats and freeze dry turning into ice type resonance to beat it. Bulky waters, Maranga spd corviknight, WP tar, band darm and most importantly, big boy lax are all super viable options that arent too niche.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah from using Lapras, Snorlax seems to completely own it. Those using Lapras offensively tend to have Thunderbolt over Sheer Cold because they need to hit Water-types while G-maxed. Ttar is also awesome as it eats water moves and ends up reverse sweeping lol

I also had some trouble against Infiltrator Weakness Policy Dragapult with U-turn, the Max Flutterby weakens the Lapras and usually activates the WP, and then knocks out with a STAB move. The problem with that set though is it struggle to fit 4 good moves on (darts, phantom, fly/acro, steel wing, u-turn, tbolt, flame).

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ferrothorn is also disgustingly good against it... The only risk you have to worry about vs. G-Max Lapras is that a 130 BP G-Max Resonance (Sheer Cold) is a 24.6% chance to 2HKO against a Max Hp/+Def Ferro without Leftovers trying to switch directly in... other than that, if Ferro A) is already in safely vs. Lapras, B) has any notable SpD investment, C) has Leftovers, or D) Lapras uses literally any other move on the switch-in (even 120 BP G-Max Resonance from Freeze-Dry is a 3HKO at best), Ferrothorn wins 1v1 by stalling out the Lapras' Dynamax with Leech Seed + Protect. This will also let it burn out Aurora Veil once Lapras goes back to normal. You do have to be wary of Sheer Cold after G-max wears off, but once Aurora Veil is gone and Lapras is weakened enough, it will be safe to finish it off with Power Whip without fear of trigging Weakness Policy

Hi! Need advice on my BSS team on how do make it better.
Pokepaste here: https://pokepast.es/0bdf09ffae7db3b1

Here are the team details:
Dragapult sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

The main support of this team. Thanks to its blistering speed, it is usually first to move and set up screens. Dragon Darts is so that it isn't too passive and goes through subs thanks to Infiltrator. Curse is a get out option so I wouldn't have to get damaged on the switch, and it also gives chip damage to the opponent and forces switches if they don't want to take Curse damage. But even with screens up, it still gets 2HKO'd by strong moves. Please help with a new EV spread for this guy.
Togekiss - #468 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Don't let her adorable appearance fool you! Once it Dynamaxes and boosts its speed with Airstream, you're in for some trouble! The given EV spread gives Togekiss some bulk while still able to hit hard and outspeed Jolly Pults at +1. Nasty Plot is for free setup on passive Pokemon. Togekiss only has problems with Rhyperior, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. Please give me advice on how to deal with them!
Excadrill - #530 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Covers Togekiss's weaknesses! Excadrill hits even defensive Pokemon hard even without an SD boost, since he's kinda frail, he'll take a lot of damage over time and her longetivity is limited by Life Orb, and it's walled by Corviknight. Please help with Excadrill's set.

Cloyster - #091 - Serebii.net Pokédex

I'm CloysterCube! Why wouldn't he be on this team? Anyway, he was a great wincon for my team in the lower tiers of ranked battles as people there never bothered to bring defensive walls. Now I hardly bring it on the field because of the frequent appearances of defensive walls on higher tiers. Basically, I only bring it for Mimikyu, Rhyperior, and especiallly Darmanitan. It still gets useful chip damage to Ferrothorn and Toxapex at +2 and even outspeeds Scarf G-Darmanitan at +2! Just need advice on positioning it better.
Ferrothorn - #598 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Without this guy, the team will struggle against Dracovish! Able to shrug off physical hits. Ferrothorn will just Leech Seed and just stack Curses until it recovers more than it takes. With screens up, it won't be out of the field with just one Fire move.
Pokemon Sword and Shield Shiny Rotom-Heat 6IV-EV Trained ...

I won't bring Ferrothorn every time, so I'll need this guy out on the field to cripple fast sweepers to ease the opposition. The given EV spread allows it to tank hits before even putting screens into account! Sitrus Berry is for recovery, and Nasty Plot + Overheat for wallbreaking, plus Volt Switch for scouting and maintaining momentum.

So what do you guys think? So far got to Rank 9, but if I want to get to Master Ball next season, I'm gonna need to improve my team, and I'll need your help with it.

P.S: I apologize for making it longer than a "simple question".

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi! Need advice on my BSS team on how do make it better.
Pokepaste here: https://pokepast.es/0bdf09ffae7db3b1

Here are the team details:
Dragapult sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

The main support of this team. Thanks to its blistering speed, it is usually first to move and set up screens. Dragon Darts is so that it isn't too passive and goes through subs thanks to Infiltrator. Curse is a get out option so I wouldn't have to get damaged on the switch, and it also gives chip damage to the opponent and forces switches if they don't want to take Curse damage. But even with screens up, it still gets 2HKO'd by strong moves. Please help with a new EV spread for this guy.
Togekiss - #468 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Don't let her adorable appearance fool you! Once it Dynamaxes and boosts its speed with Airstream, you're in for some trouble! The given EV spread gives Togekiss some bulk while still able to hit hard and outspeed Jolly Pults at +1. Nasty Plot is for free setup on passive Pokemon. Togekiss only has problems with Rhyperior, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. Please give me advice on how to deal with them!
Excadrill - #530 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Covers Togekiss's weaknesses! Excadrill hits even defensive Pokemon hard even without an SD boost, since he's kinda frail, he'll take a lot of damage over time and her longetivity is limited by Life Orb, and it's walled by Corviknight. Please help with Excadrill's set.

Cloyster - #091 - Serebii.net Pokédex

I'm CloysterCube! Why wouldn't he be on this team? Anyway, he was a great wincon for my team in the lower tiers of ranked battles as people there never bothered to bring defensive walls. Now I hardly bring it on the field because of the frequent appearances of defensive walls on higher tiers. Basically, I only bring it for Mimikyu, Rhyperior, and especiallly Darmanitan. It still gets useful chip damage to Ferrothorn and Toxapex at +2 and even outspeeds Scarf G-Darmanitan at +2! Just need advice on positioning it better.
Ferrothorn - #598 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Without this guy, the team will struggle against Dracovish! Able to shrug off physical hits. Ferrothorn will just Leech Seed and just stack Curses until it recovers more than it takes. With screens up, it won't be out of the field with just one Fire move.
Pokemon Sword and Shield Shiny Rotom-Heat 6IV-EV Trained ...

I won't bring Ferrothorn every time, so I'll need this guy out on the field to cripple fast sweepers to ease the opposition. The given EV spread allows it to tank hits before even putting screens into account! Sitrus Berry is for recovery, and Nasty Plot + Overheat for wallbreaking, plus Volt Switch for scouting and maintaining momentum.

So what do you guys think? So far got to Rank 9, but if I want to get to Master Ball next season, I'm gonna need to improve my team, and I'll need your help with it.

P.S: I apologize for making it longer than a "simple question".

I'd definitely say drop Rapid Spin on Exca, say it's bad in BSS, and move on, but lemme clarify why because I do agree Rock weakness is significant and is probably bleeding free losses to Tyranitar or Hippowdon.

Rapid Spin is bad despite all the Rock weak Pokemon because every setter you can identify on preview beat Excadrill hard. Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Seismitoad, etc. Clefable is the only setter that really loses to Excadrill, but many of these wont even be Stealth Rock at all, making it a tough call on team preview. Your 3 main attackers all being crippled by rocks not only suck in terms of the switch damage, but also because Tyranitar just ravages your team due to all the rock-type weak Pokemon that can't trade well vs it at all. Something like Rotom-H -> Rotom-W, or using CB Darmanitan or GMax Lapras which can offensively pressure Hippowdon, or using Grimmsnarl as your screener instead to deny Rocks with Taunt, or have another taunter like Corviknight. Or you could use Grass Knot on your Togekiss instead, lead Togekiss and flinch a few times into Grass Knot range. Or you can do some combination of that + tweak the rest of the team. None of these changes are going to instantly win vs Hippowdon teams, but it's going to give you a way out. Alternatively you can take out one of your SR weak Pokemon and max that instead - you don't have to stop rocks from going up to have success in BSS.

Of these, CB Darmanitan, Grimmsnarl, and Corviknight are also notable for alleviating some of your Tyranitar woes, it's not something you see a ton of anymore, but you do struggle against it.

If you don't do many of the changes I'd definitely recommend leading Cloyster so you can kill the Hippowdon right away. They'll probably Yawn or Roar rightaway to deny your setup, which is still awkward and vs Yawn you have to choose between rocks going up & having Cloyster fall asleep, but gets rid of a problematic Pokemon into low HP.

I’m considering most of your advice but I’m not sure turning Rotom-H into Rotom-W, it’s key resistance to Fairy and the ability to check Corviknight helps me a lot.

Also, I use Rapid Spin as a way to boost speed against mons faster than Excadrill.

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping if i could ask a question regarding BSS in how to play it. more specifically how to build teams for it. I think i am able to figure out how to play the tier itself in terms of knowing how to pick your leads and when to dynamax etc. But the hardest part of BSS for me is the teambuilding. It's a bit overwhelming for me since i come from a 6v6 background through OU/Monotype, and it's hard to really think of pokemon that cover all your bases in all scenarios when you can only pick 3 per battle compared to the usual 6. If it's ok may i ask about this aspect of BSS? Sorry for the long question.

I think the gist of it is: look at the top threats in the format, and have a plan how to answer them and their common partners while being able to execute your own strategy.

To give a simple example: how are you answering Max Airstream momentum from something like Togekiss or Gyarados? Do you have a fat Yawn Snorlax in the back; do you bring reverse-Speed control with Trick Room Mimkyu mode; are you employing a Sash/Scarf user that can manage to overcome it somehow; do you bring Screens mode; do you simply rely on offensive Mimikyu to trade Dynamax with Max Guard and Disguise; or, are you going to be playing for offensive momentum yourself before the opponent's sweeping plan ever comes online?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping if i could ask a question regarding BSS in how to play it. more specifically how to build teams for it. I think i am able to figure out how to play the tier itself in terms of knowing how to pick your leads and when to dynamax etc. But the hardest part of BSS for me is the teambuilding. It's a bit overwhelming for me since i come from a 6v6 background through OU/Monotype, and it's hard to really think of pokemon that cover all your bases in all scenarios when you can only pick 3 per battle compared to the usual 6. If it's ok may i ask about this aspect of BSS? Sorry for the long question.
I think the best way to start out is to build with a specific strategy/wincon in mind. start with a 2/3 mon core you want to bring majority of the time, then fill out the remaining slots with situational picks you’ll bring if your opponent has certain pokémon the main core loses to. If you can work a secondary (or third) core into those remaking 3-4 slots then you’ll find the team feels a lot more flexible.

This is why you’ll see lots of teams that are just “screens lead > sweeper 1 > sweeper 2 > etc. X 3” or “sand + excadrill + mimikyu + wallbreaker 1 + wallbreaker 2 + filler.” These teams want to bring their main core majority of the time, OR bait the opponent into overprepping for the main core, only to then lose to something in the back the didn’t expect.

Trying to build a goodstuffs team right of the bat is tricky to get right before knowing the format too much, but if you choose 6 of the following you’ll usually be fine lol:
  • Mimikyu
  • Snorlax
  • Dragapult
  • Togekiss
  • Excadrill
  • Corviknight
  • Lapras
  • Rotom
  • Aegislash
  • Gyarados
Of course then the trouble is picking sets that go together, and then picking your 3 at team preview is less straight forward than when picking around a defined strategy like sand/screens etc.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Looking at the list of mons you put down. Electric coverage is more important than ever.
Well that’s one of the reasons the Rotom formes are so popular, but them being basically the only viable electric-types also makes the electric-weak pokémon in my list above even more viable.

There are also really good ground-types available; Excadrill, Diggersby, Rhyperior, Gastrodon etc can all be used with very little opportunity cost. So using an electric-type to check Gyarados / Corviknight / Lapras also requires a solid check to these threatening Ground-types. This is why Rotom-W is arguably the best Rotom (or Electric-type for that matter) and why Rotom-C is seeing actual use this gen.

Non-STAB electric coverage is also quite weak, as Pokémon weak to electric also happen to be quite bulky, forcing you to run actual Electric-types.

I think the best way to start out is to build with a specific strategy/wincon in mind. start with a 2/3 mon core you want to bring majority of the time, then fill out the remaining slots with situational picks you’ll bring if your opponent has certain pokémon the main core loses to. If you can work a secondary (or third) core into those remaking 3-4 slots then you’ll find the team feels a lot more flexible.

This is why you’ll see lots of teams that are just “screens lead > sweeper 1 > sweeper 2 > etc. X 3” or “sand + excadrill + mimikyu + wallbreaker 1 + wallbreaker 2 + filler.” These teams want to bring their main core majority of the time, OR bait the opponent into overprepping for the main core, only to then lose to something in the back the didn’t expect.

Trying to build a goodstuffs team right of the bat is tricky to get right before knowing the format too much, but if you choose 6 of the following you’ll usually be fine lol:
  • Mimikyu
  • Snorlax
  • Dragapult
  • Togekiss
  • Excadrill
  • Corviknight
  • Lapras
  • Rotom
  • Aegislash
  • Gyarados
Of course then the trouble is picking sets that go together, and then picking your 3 at team preview is less straight forward than when picking around a defined strategy like sand/screens etc.
Ok that makes sense, Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Hello all. Another Smogon newcomer but not necessarily new to the BSS format. I'm getting close to breaking triple digit ranks.

I say that not to brag, but to add to what can't say is talking about with experience. I may be close to triple digit ranks, but I'm on like my 7th or 8th team concept which doesn't even account for all the different variations I ran of each concept. It kind of sucks, but you really do just have to get in there and get your butt kicked a lot before you normally start to feel comfortable with all the nuance of the format. My biggest piece of advice would be not to worry about rank (I've been as low as 80k;) embrace the learning process, keep some notes and take pleasure in absorbing as much knowledge as possible. Enjoy the journey and not just the destination. Check out the Singles Team Bazaar topic to see how other teams work too; I know I've spent a lot of time lurking in there.

Anyway, glad to finally be here and I'm hoping to post my own team soon.

I like trying out different mons than the standard Dragapult/Mimikyu/Togekiss/etc. I'm looking into Malamar right now - anybody got a good set for it? Obviously Superpower and Dark STAB but what other moves/EVs/nature?

So now that we have a solid release date for Isle of Armor on June 17th, do we know how this coincides with the June ranked season? Will the DLC Pokemon be available for use immediately or will they be banned until the start of the next season?

So now that we have a solid release date for Isle of Armor on June 17th, do we know how this coincides with the June ranked season? Will the DLC Pokemon be available for use immediately or will they be banned until the start of the next season?
If it's anything like when Home opened giving us access to the Kanto and Alola starters, we'll have to wait until July to use the new Pokemon.

Coming from VGC and I’m clueless on how the current singles meta works. How should a team be structured? I’ve been wanting to build one of my own but I find myself hitting roadblocks when it comes to building solid cores and finding support.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I’m clueless on how the current singles meta works.
haha cinderace go brrrr

How should a team be structured? I’ve been wanting to build one of my own but I find myself hitting roadblocks when it comes to building solid cores and finding support.
on a serious note, welcome! what have you got so far? anything to work from would be a great help, it’s tough to give advice from scratch this gen. it’s why we don’t have a dedicated teambuilding guide somewhere here yet.

Gen 8 rewards proactive strategies more than any meta so far, there’s almost no room to play reactively and switch checks into threats. A lot of teams have a strict wincon in mind at the teambuilding stage, whereas previous gens allowed more flowcharting mid-game or even at team preview. “Goodstuffs” teams do exist, but they’re mostly 6 goodstuffs mons crammed together than anything clever, which aim to lead well and win three 1v1s.

Most teams will have a main “mode” of 2-3 mons that get picked over and over, with mons to bail you out against counters to the main wincon to swap in. Things like Trick Room Mimikyu + Rhyperior or Lapras will have 3-4 alternative leads designed to win specific lead / endgame 1v1s so Mimi+Sweeper can win a 2v2 and seal the game. Set-up teams usually feature a main lead, a backup lead for particular threatening opposing leads, 2-3 sweeping options, and a filler slot. Webs teams usually have a fossil mon + Dragapult checks...

So basically,
  1. think of how you want to win games
  2. how are you going to initiate that?
  3. what safeguards you against things that hard wall that wincon?
an alternative framework is
  1. what do you want to lead with mainly?
    • what counter-leads this? how can you avoid losing any and all momentum if you run into this lead?
  2. do you have a mimikyu check?
    • does this thing just come in and Swords Dance and reverse sweep you?
    • does this thing just come in and Trick Room and reverse sweep you?
  3. BONUS for current meta: do you have a Cinderace check or gameplan? can you position yourself so it doesn’t get a free 1v1, or worse, 1v2 on your team?

like I asked earlier, do you have ideas in mind already? if not, probably best to grab a rental team and hit the ladder to see if you run into anything interesting. or go onto the Pokémon HOME app and see if there’s anything in the top 20 most used mons you’d like to build around. then let us know so we can actually help.

haha cinderace go brrrr

on a serious note, welcome! what have you got so far? anything to work from would be a great help, it’s tough to give advice from scratch this gen. it’s why we don’t have a dedicated teambuilding guide somewhere here yet.

Gen 8 rewards proactive strategies more than any meta so far, there’s almost no room to play reactively and switch checks into threats. A lot of teams have a strict wincon in mind at the teambuilding stage, whereas previous gens allowed more flowcharting mid-game or even at team preview. “Goodstuffs” teams do exist, but they’re mostly 6 goodstuffs mons crammed together than anything clever, which aim to lead well and win three 1v1s.

Most teams will have a main “mode” of 2-3 mons that get picked over and over, with mons to bail you out against counters to the main wincon to swap in. Things like Trick Room Mimikyu + Rhyperior or Lapras will have 3-4 alternative leads designed to win specific lead / endgame 1v1s so Mimi+Sweeper can win a 2v2 and seal the game. Set-up teams usually feature a main lead, a backup lead for particular threatening opposing leads, 2-3 sweeping options, and a filler slot. Webs teams usually have a fossil mon + Dragapult checks...

So basically,
  1. think of how you want to win games
  2. how are you going to initiate that?
  3. what safeguards you against things that hard wall that wincon?
an alternative framework is
  1. what do you want to lead with mainly?
    • what counter-leads this? how can you avoid losing any and all momentum if you run into this lead?
  2. do you have a mimikyu check?
    • does this thing just come in and Swords Dance and reverse sweep you?
    • does this thing just come in and Trick Room and reverse sweep you?
  3. BONUS for current meta: do you have a Cinderace check or gameplan? can you position yourself so it doesn’t get a free 1v1, or worse, 1v2 on your team?

like I asked earlier, do you have ideas in mind already? if not, probably best to grab a rental team and hit the ladder to see if you run into anything interesting. or go onto the Pokémon HOME app and see if there’s anything in the top 20 most used mons you’d like to build around. then let us know so we can actually help.
Being able to reliably beat/check Cinderace is critical. Last night I was down 3 to 1 with only Cinderace left and ended up sweeping to win. Any good team should have a way to prevent that from happening, but that's easier said than done.

So far, Ive noticed that there tends to be some moves that are banned on the ranked ladder. Only once Ive found so far being Knock Off, but im assuming there has to be more that Im missing. What other moves or items are banned from use in ranked battle stadiums? For instance, this pokemon is not usable in ranked for some reason I cant figure out why:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 4 Spe
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I thinking stealth rock or toxic must be banned on ladder since he works fine in casual play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)