Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Might be worth it to teach Slowbro a boosting move to see if it changes the category.
Wait so you're saying that the game calculates 4 possibilities:

att-->def
att-->spdef
spatk-->def
spatk-->spdef

and determines which of the 4 produces the highest damage output, and bases it on that? Because I was assuming there were only 2 possibilities, att-->def and spatk-->spdef.
I was assuming that it draws from special attack no matter what.

Might be worth it to teach Slowbro a boosting move to see if it changes the category.

I was assuming that it draws from special attack no matter what.
For the first point regarding the boosting move, it does change. Refer to this post:

Not sure if it’s been said already, but Shell Side Arm is adaptive. I faced off against a wild Throh. My G-Slowbro went for SSA and it was initially the physical variant. Then, Throw went for Bulk Up, increasing Defense. The next SSA became the special attacking variant, going after the SpDef and ignoring the defense boost from Bulk Up.

edit; this also counts for your own stat boosts. A Buneary used Flatter on me, increasing my SpA. Like the Throh example, my SSA was physical at first, then changed to Special after the boost.
I'm honestly not convinced it strictly pulls from the Special Attack stat no matter what, like Psyshock does. When I tested this scenario with both a physically offensive spread (Adamant 252 Attack, 0 SpA) followed by a specially offensive spread (Modest 252 SpA, 0 Attack), using a Level 55 G-Slowbro vs a Level 60 wild Chansey, both scenarios resulted in G-Bro OHKOing the Chanseys.

Refer here:
edit: Here’s a relevant calc:

Lvl 55 0- Atk Slowbro Poison Jab vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 Def Chansey: 225-265 (57.9 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This assumes Slowbro is Poison-type and Poison Jab is 90 BP. This also assumes SSA actually does pull from the Attack stat when calculating against the opposing Defense stat. Now, here’s the same scenario but with the Adamant nature and Attack EVs:

Lvl 55 252+ Atk Slowbro Poison Jab vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 Def Chansey: 348-409 (89.6 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

The Chansey in the wild most likely had less Defense IVs because they consistently got OHKOd.

Let's clear this up for good.

Can moves like Fleur Cannon, Fiery Dance, Shore Up, Shadow Bone, who belonged to a cut Pokémon and were not selectable, be used now that their original owners are back?

Let's clear this up for good.

Can moves like Fleur Cannon, Fiery Dance, Shore Up, Shadow Bone, who belonged to a cut Pokémon and were not selectable, be used now that their original owners are back?

Edit: should note that Kinesis had the "This move is gone" description, unlike the other moves where they were just unavailable to any Pokémon in the game, and so still had their normal description even though they couldn't be used if hacked in.

Last edited:
That's not it. Quick Draw actually shows then it activates.

I suspect the "fast slowpoke" are actually kinda like Eternatus, unique pokemon that you are not able to obtain and not identical to the regular slowpokes.

Edit: small thinking: those Slowpokes only have status moves... I wonder if they just gave them Prankster as ability.
It's simpler than that. The Slowpokes have a +6 Speed boost. I just pulled up the boost page and there it was.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'm curious about a few things: How does Corrosion Gas work? Does it target every pokemon on the field, or only the opponents or everyone except self?

Secondly, there was an illusion bug in cartridge where going to summary when an illusion pokemon came in revealed who it was. Did that get fixed? Or is that still bugged?

Someone please figure out how Lash Out works with regards to the bit about hazards mentioned on Serebii.

Because if it's really a "attacking Dark-type (almsot) Defog" that's...kinda crazy good?

Someone please figure out how Lash Out works with regards to the bit about hazards mentioned on Serebii.

Because if it's really a "attacking Dark-type (almsot) Defog" that's...kinda crazy good?
" This attack also removes the effect of Reflect, Light Screen, Aurora Veil, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on the target Pokémon's side of battle. It also removes the effects of all Terrains on the battlefield if it has been set up by a Pokémon using moves or abilities. "

What the fuck, it's a 75 base power unblockable, unTauntable Defog? Serebii definitely has a lot of errors right now so I'm like 70% sure this is just placeholder text accidentally copied from Defog, as they both share the same text word for word.

I hope you're right though because this would be super good if it really works that way.

Asking if poltergeist counts as a contact move. All of the serebii entries for new moves lists them as non contact which doesn’t make sense for quite a few of the physical ones.

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Okay, since I was super excited about the implications of this move, and serebii happened to have incorrect information on it. I recruited Chico the Parakeet to help me test the move Lash Out. (also thanks to xJoelituh for getting me off my duff to actually test this.)
lashout.PNG

Rather than linking the 8 or so videos, I've included them in this Drive link.

The details of the testing are below:

First test -

Turn 1:
Dugtrio and Toxapex lead versus Arcanine and Stuntank lead. No stat drops. Dugtrio sets Stealth Rocks. Stuntank does 34 to Toxapex with Lash Out.

Turn 2:

Arcanine drops Stuntank's speed with bulldoze. Stunktank does 72 damage to Toxapex. This proves it procs off allies lowering your stats.

Dugtrio faints and Growlithe switches in at the end of the turn, inflicting intimidate.

Turn 3:

Squirtle switches in and takes stealth rock damage. This proves Serebii is incorrect, the move does not clear hazards. Since that's defog's effect, I think we all assumed that. Lash out deals 22 damage - this is at -1, so that's 75 BP. This proves that intimidate at the end of the previous turn does not boost the move. (This is important later)

Second Test -

Turn 1:

Arcanine and Stuntank lead versus Toxapex and Growlithe lead. Intimidate activates. Lash out deals 48 to Toxapex (once again, this is -1, so that's 150BP). This proves that intimidate lead does boost the power on turn 1.

Third Test -

Turn 1:

Arcanine and Stuntank lead versus Toxapex and Dugtrio. Dugtrio is swapped to Growlithe, intimidate activates. Lash out deals 42 to Toxapex (so 150BP). This proves Lash Out activates on an intimidate switch-in.

Fourth Test -

Turn 1:

Arcanine and Stuntank Lead versus Toxapex and Dugtrio. Dugtrio is switched to Growlithe, intimidate activates. Arcanine uses bulldoze, Stuntank's speed is lowered (so two stat drops). Lash out deals 46 damage to Toxapex. This proves the move won't double twice. (also kind of assumed this, but doesn't hurt to confirm it!)

Fifth Test -

Turn 1:

Arcanine and Stuntank Lead versus Toxapex and Dugtrio. Arcanine uses bulldoze, Stuntank's speed is dropped. Lash out deals 67 damage to Toxapex (Doubled, but a very low roll this time).

Turn 2:

No stat drops. Stuntank deals 33 damage to Toxapex (75BP at +0). This proves that the boost will not persist.

Many of these I kind of assumed - the primary goal behind this was to test if it procced off allies reducing your stats, and it does. I forsee implications in VGC, as a certain fuzzy wrestler can operate offensively under trick room and is weak to bulldoze, so it can get +2 and start launching +2 150BP STAB Lash Outs under trick room.

Last edited:
Serebii says that lash out "removes the effect of Reflect, Light Screen, Aurora Veil, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on the target Pokémon's side of battle." The tests so far seem to have only confirmed it doesn't remove hazards from your side of the field. Can someone test this?

McCoolDude

Just a fat shark
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Serebii says that lash out "removes the effect of Reflect, Light Screen, Aurora Veil, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on the target Pokémon's side of battle." The tests so far seem to have only confirmed it doesn't remove hazards from your side of the field. Can someone test this?

This is actually a good point and I wish I had thought to test it. Drat. However, that's still just the exact wording of defog, which only removes screens from the target's side, but hazards from both.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please reread my post, I tested it with Light Screen on my side and it was not removed by the opponent's Lash Out.

Sorry, I somehow misread your post and assumed that both stealth rock and light screen were on the same side of the field ... which doesn’t make any sense and definitely isn’t what you said. My bad

What non-negotiable tasks does Kubfu have to carry out before evolving, so that we might be able to figure out the minimum legal level Urshifu can exist at?
Water
  • Psyduck (Level 65)
  • Krabby (Level 66)
  • Marill (Level 67)
  • Poliwhirl (Level 68)
  • Kubfu (Level 70)
Dark
  • Zorua (Level 65)
  • Scraggy (level 66)
  • Inkay (Level 67)
  • Krokorok (Level 68)
  • Kubfu (Level 70)
That is an interesting question.

The absolute 'reasonable' upper ceiling is almost certainly 40.

A Jolly 252/31 with Choice Scarf reaches 160 speed. That should be faster anything other than the Kubfu and Poliwhirls depending on their nature/EV/IV. At 40, Kubfu learns Dynamic Punch. No reason you can't confusion hax your way to victory trivially in the Dark tower, with more difficulty in the Water tower.

I'm going to guess the Dark tower can be cleared earlier than 40, with Superpower spam depending on Inkay/Kubfu/Scraggy's movepool. Choice Banded/Choice Scrag Superpower crit clears Zorua, Krokorok as early as 35.

But if you are going with Bright Powder, I don't see a 'technical' minimum assuming your attacks do enough damage before all their PPs run out.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)