Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Does Conkeldurr have any switch-ins? Like in the entire game? I keep trying to build teams that don't auto lose to Conk + Pivot and I'm at a total loss. Not even Slowbro can beat it, so the DLC won't affect this issue. How do I deal with this bastard?

• Sad
Reactions: UHX
Does Conkeldurr have any switch-ins? Like in the entire game? I keep trying to build teams that don't auto lose to Conk + Pivot and I'm at a total loss. Not even Slowbro can beat it, so the DLC won't affect this issue. How do I deal with this bastard?
The G-weezing is the rare pokemon that you don't need to have any prediction to switch in. Its ability removes the boost from guts, takes damage not that hard and threaten the Conk with strange stream

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 113-133 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- 31.3% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk burned Conkeldurr Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 80-95 (23.9 - 28.4%)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
People blow up how hard it is to deal with Conkeldurr. If you need a hard response you can use G-Weezing like the above post said or you can run something like Colbur Cofagrigus, but realistically you're probably better running softer responses unless you're using stall or whatever. Provided you have something like faster Ghost/Psychic + ≥1 of Corv/PysDef Clef/Mew/whatever, your balance team should be able to play around it with a bit of guesswork, as you can force it to play games between CC/Facade and Knock. Needing to catch you on switch-in to 2HKO is a pretty common theme with Conk, and that can be easily taken advantage of provided you don't play like a moron around it. Also Colbur Slowbro counters Conkeldurr, so yes it will help.

If you run Cinderace as your only way to RK healthy Conk, make sure to carry something bulky that can directly threaten it such as Brave Bird Corv, as Mach Punch deals 50% to it (notable if they're running smth like Conk+Hippo that can make Cinder take 6 bajillion chip damage). If you run 24 Def on Clefable you can take a Facade from full health in a pinch, although obviously that's not recommended unless you no longer need Clef bc it just becomes dead weight after taking 1. Obviously PhysDef Clef takes it on much better, as it forces Conk to catch it on switch-in.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is almost everything locked right now, including the Pokemon threads with builds? Is it cause of the DLC/we're redoing everything?
Yes, everything will be locked for a short time to allow us to gather correct data, put up new resources, and prevent misinformation around new moves like Scale Shot etc. In the meantime, you can discuss the DLCs either on Discord or in the Pokemon Showdown room, and the new threads should be up pretty soon, probably shortly after the DLC is programmed for Showdown.

How are we looking right now concerning implementing DLC in the PS? Not trying to sound impatient, just curious! When will it it go live (presumably)?

So Magnezone is back but it lost Hidden Powet this gen, which would make it hard for it to deal with Scizor.

But I still love this dude and I really want it to work, so I brought a set that may help it in these new meta (Although tbh, I'm not well-versed in OU, but I'm open for suggestions)

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Substitute gives Magnezone set-up opportunities, and can save from attacks. It would mainly set-up in Corviknight and Skarmory, but it could find other opportunities by forcing switching or against more defensive mons. Iron Defense + Body Press is pretty self-explanatory: boost your defense up and go crazy. Charge Beam is there to not only deal with Skarm, Corv and Aegislash, but also it gathers some boosts for Magnezone, specially to deal with mons that may resist or be immune to BP.

Defense is maxed so you can 2HKO Ferrothorn at +2 and also even allows to survive one Earthquake from Excadrill and OHKO back. Speed is enough to outspeed max speed Conkeldurr (had no idea which other spred to use, but you need at least 84 HP for Magnezone to survive an EQ from Excadrill after your subs was broke and you got 2 rounds of Leftovers)

If anyone wonders what do I mean, the scenario here is: Magnezone set-up its subtitute, the opponent switches out, Excadrill comes in, Magnezome get Leftovers recovery. Excadrill uses EQ, breaks the sub, Magnezone sets-up Iron Defense, gets more Leftsovers recovery. Finally, Excadrill uses EQ again, Magnezone survives and KOs Excadrill with BP.

Niche scenario, but it may save you.

As I said, I'm open for suggestions if you think I should change the spread. And of course I want to read what you think of this set!

IP edit: merged posts, please avoid double posting

Last edited by a moderator:
So Magnezone is back but it lost Hidden Powet this gen, which would make it hard for it to deal with Scizor.

But I still love this dude and I really want it to work, so I brought a set that may help it in these new meta (Although tbh, I'm not well-versed in OU, but I'm open for suggestions)

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Substitute gives Magnezone set-up opportunities, and can save from attacks. It would mainly set-up in Corviknight and Skarmory, but it could find other opportunities by forcing switching or against more defensive mons. Iron Defense + Body Press is pretty self-explanatory: boost your defense up and go crazy. Charge Beam is there to not only deal with Skarm, Corv and Aegislash, but also it gathers some boosts for Magnezone, specially to deal with mons that may resist or be immune to BP.

Defense is maxed so you can 2HKO Ferrothorn at +2 and also even allows to survive one Earthquake from Excadrill and OHKO back. Speed is enough to outspeed max speed Conkeldurr (had no idea which other spred to use, but you need at least 84 HP for Magnezone to survive an EQ from Excadrill after your subs was broke and you got 2 rounds of Leftovers)

If anyone wonders what do I mean, the scenario here is: Magnezone set-up its subtitute, the opponent switches out, Excadrill comes in, Magnezome get Leftovers recovery. Excadrill uses EQ, breaks the sub, Magnezone sets-up Iron Defense, gets more Leftsovers recovery. Finally, Excadrill uses EQ again, Magnezone survives and KOs Excadrill with BP.

Niche scenario, but it may save you.

As I said, I'm open for suggestions if you think I should change the spread. And of course I want to read what you think of this set!

IP edit: merged posts, please avoid double posting
My question is what is magnezone switching in on that it then forces out to get that free sub? Magnezone is a reactionary pokemon, who's best case scenario is typically predicting the switch to a trappable mon, and switching in on it the same turn. If you switch into an exca, you die to EQ right away, and if you switch into a ferrothorn, you have to predict right between leech seed and body press (which breaks sub without defense boosts), all the while eating iron barbs every time you attack. It seems like an enormous dedication of resources for not even guaranteed traps.

That said i haven't played with this set, and I am curious to see how zone adapts without hp fire. Body press seems like the way forward rn i'll give u that, maybe we need to change the way in which we play zone, also.

My question is what is magnezone switching in on that it then forces out to get that free sub?
Toxapex, Mandibuzz and some Clefable sets cannot breaks Magnezone's substitute and they don't risk taking a STAB (Expecting Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon). Or choiced attacker locked into moves that Magnezone has a 4x resistance.

And Ferrothorn 1v1 is an interesing case. If you manage to predict the first attack correctly (Sub vs Leech Seed, Iron Defense vs Body Press), Ferrothorn because unable to break the Sub in one turn, allowing Magnezone to gather many boosts from ID, and you can even fool around a use Charge Beam. GG

EDIT: SubElectrium Z Magnezone was a thing in the prior Gen, so it means Substitute is viable

Last edited:
It may be a waste of time to talk about something that doesn't exist anymore, but I need to get it out.
Did anyone else notice yesterday that Urshifu had Dragon Dance on it's movepool on the teambuilder and now it doesn't? I didn't test it since I was dedicated completely to the game, but I noticed today that no one was talking about the set and then found out...that it simply doesn't exist. Was it a bug?
1592548560092.png

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
It may be a waste of time to talk about something that doesn't exist anymore, but I need to get it out.
Did anyone else notice yesterday that Urshifu had Dragon Dance on it's movepool on the teambuilder and now it doesn't? I didn't test it since I was dedicated completely to the game, but I noticed today that no one was talking about the set and then found out...that it simply doesn't exist. Was it a bug?
View attachment 255508
Yes, PS has had some errors with movesets while updating the server.

SHEEPSQUAD

Banned deucer.
hey, doesn't poltergeist show which item is attacking the opponent like for ex: "The Choice Specs is attacking the gardevoir"

I really want to use a contary Lurantis in a future team, as it learns 2 stat lowering moves i could see it being a decent wallbreaker. But still will have issues with fire and flying types, though teammates could help with that.

I know i want to use Leaf storm and Super power, with either a att or spa attack boosting nature and speed lowering nature. Leech life seems best as a third option, but not sure one what to use as a forth move. Psycho cut is a new move it gets thanks to TR, and it would help deal with poison types like toxapex, after a super power boost or 2 should be hitting it hard, and i think goves it the most se coverage but only cant hit the ageslash line well. What options do you guys like?

Last edited:
When tier shifts happen at the end of the month, will the newly introduced pokemon stay in OU or will they drop down to UU if they don't meet the usage threshold?

When tier shifts happen at the end of the month, will the newly introduced pokemon stay in OU or will they drop down to UU if they don't meet the usage threshold?
Pokemon may also drop down to lower tiers if they meet a smaller usage than usual:

OU to UU -> below the 4.52% cutoff
OU to RU -> below 1/15th of 4.52%
OU to NU -> below 1/30th of 4.52%
OU to PU -> below 1/60th of 4.52%

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is the Magearna set for trickroom team rn?
I don’t think there’s a standard one around yet right now, but I’ve seen people fooling with White Herb, something like this:

Magearna @ White Herb
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

I’ve also seen Ice Beam and Leftovers on sets, but for the TR teams I’ve used so far I’ve preferred the fighting coverage.

Usage for June will only count the time after the DLC dropped. It is not a perfect solution but it is a sound compromisse given the conditions.

I Just saw the sample teams thread and have become curious about the spread used for Alolan Marowak

176 HP / 176 Atk / 24 SpD / 132 Spe

What is the reason behind this? What doea ir achieves?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)