Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hey guys, I have a question about speed. I'm new to competitive battling, and have been trying to find my feet with it, especially grasping EV allocation. I've been encountering frustrating instances of Seismitoads, Copperjahs, etc. out speeding my max speed Noivern, Boltund and the likes. Even after trick room has ended (if it was even used) they seem to be quick, and although Choice Scarf (which was suggested as the culprit) could be a reason, I can't see so many people equipping slow mons with it too often when it would only realistically make them marginally faster?

Can anyone explain and ease my frustration? Cheers!
Theres a variety of factors that could influence this - would you mind sharing what format you were playing and if it was cart or showdown. VGC has things like tailwind and max airstream that affect speed.

If you were playing in a Nat Dex format, might there have been a Zoroark on the opposing team that you mistook for whatever slow mon it was disguised as?
Nope, OU. They were definitely the mons they appeared to be, frustratingly..

Do you have a replay showing what happened? There may be a field condition or stat chan or something that you’re overlooking, but without more context it’s difficult to say what’s going on
No I haven't got replays, but I'll get one the next time it happens and post it here! No stat changes as they'd be switched out and just finish off my Noivern no problem, and don't think there were field conditions in play

Theres a variety of factors that could influence this - would you mind sharing what format you were playing and if it was cart or showdown. VGC has things like tailwind and max airstream that affect speed.
OU format, and I was playing on Showdown. As far as I was aware, asides from trick room a couple of times there had been no other speed enhancing moves/abilities affecting them, so unless a held item could increase their speed enough I'm stumped tbh

OU format, and I was playing on Showdown. As far as I was aware, asides from trick room a couple of times there had been no other speed enhancing moves/abilities affecting them, so unless a held item could increase their speed enough I'm stumped tbh
Since you are playing OU, could you show screenshots of your pokemon in the teambuilder to confirm they are setup correctly?

Hey guys, I have a question about speed. I'm new to competitive battling, and have been trying to find my feet with it, especially grasping EV allocation. I've been encountering frustrating instances of Seismitoads, Copperjahs, etc. out speeding my max speed Noivern, Boltund and the likes. Even after trick room has ended (if it was even used) they seem to be quick, and although Choice Scarf (which was suggested as the culprit) could be a reason, I can't see so many people equipping slow mons with it too often when it would only realistically make them marginally faster?

Only other thing I can think of is potentially they have quick claw on the mons. Just pay attention to the chat during a battle next time this happens and see if it says anything about a quick claw popping off.

Swift swim Seismitoad maybe

Speaking of Libero Cinderace, I’ve been thinking about taking an All-Out Attacker approach, similar to how I ran Greninja in previous gens. Was thinking something like this. Haven’t played in a while, so this is a rather simple one:

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt

I would like feedback on this set, if possible. I know well that I’d need to pair with a defogger (or Excadrill) since I’m foregoing boots, as well as something to take Hippowdon on.

Only other thing I can think of is potentially they have quick claw on the mons. Just pay attention to the chat during a battle next time this happens and see if it says anything about a quick claw popping off.
Ah checking the chat is a very good idea, thank you. I'll keep an eye out!

What do people use to counter Cinderace? It seems like it has a move it can click for every switch. The only thing I can think of that can switch in reliably is Hippo.

What do people use to counter Cinderace? It seems like it has a move it can click for every switch. The only thing I can think of that can switch in reliably is Hippo.
Offensively WoW HexPult and BU Zeraora do decently against it, along with common scarfers like Togekiss and Hydreigon. Unaware Quagsire is also a decent check. Unless they HJK on the switch (hard to do with ghost meta) Quag isn't 2HKO'd by anything.

In terms of more experimental stuff there's a lot of bulky grounds that you could mess around with. Runegrigus is something that comes to mind as a fun counter with that HJK immunity and Pyro resistance. Torkoal and Golisopod are both niche mons that do well against all of its commonly run moves, but they struggle long term due to a lack of recovery. This paragraph is completely theorymonning but due to the newness of Cinderace the meta hasn't had time to adjust to its presence yet.

Offensively WoW HexPult and BU Zeraora do decently against it, along with common scarfers like Togekiss and Hydreigon. Unaware Quagsire is also a decent check. Unless they HJK on the switch (hard to do with ghost meta) Quag isn't 2HKO'd by anything.

In terms of more experimental stuff there's a lot of bulky grounds that you could mess around with. Runegrigus is something that comes to mind as a fun counter with that HJK immunity and Pyro resistance. Torkoal and Golisopod are both niche mons that do well against all of its commonly run moves, but they struggle long term due to a lack of recovery. This paragraph is completely theorymonning but due to the newness of Cinderace the meta hasn't had time to adjust to its presence yet.
With Libero out now, I don't believe Dragapult can be considered an offensive check any longer, sadly. Pseudo-STAB Sucker Punch has a chance to OHKO after Rocks.

252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 270-318 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

The one way I could think of Dragapult still combating it is if you predict the Sucker Punch and WoW in response, since I believe Cinderace will become Dark-type even if the Sucker fails. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I also don't recall if becoming Fire-type again through either switching out or using Pyro will keep it burnt, or if it will heal that when it's Fire again.

Additionally, Runerigus does not actually resist Pyro Ball. It still has massive bulk and only takes 31.8 - 37.5% when fully invested in Defense, but Pyro Ball is neutral on both Ground and Ghost. Libero Sucker Punch actually does more damage to Rune (36.2 - 43.7%), but could be interfered with by Wandering Spirit. With clutch switches, you can lock it into an undesired type and either hit back (if it's still Fire), or use that time to set hazards or even burn it (if Dark/other).

What do you guys think about revenge killer scarf ace? This is the set I've been using, any feedback is welcome ^^

Cinderace @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch

I've been out of the loop a few weeks now. When did Cinderace get Libero? Were there any other significant updates to OU (aside from the Draco ban)?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I've been out of the loop a few weeks now. When did Cinderace get Libero? Were there any other significant updates to OU (aside from the Draco ban)?
The starter hidden abilities came out on Tuesday. The most recent update other than the Dracovish ban goes back to the Arena Trap ban in March I believe (Melmetal was tested in April but it didn't lead to anything), so no.
Be on the lookout for the installment of the first DLC, The Isle of Armor, on the 17th though.

Ema Skye

Work!
I have been using SubDisable Dragapult to lock it out of Sucker Punch. Has been pretty successful as it eases Sucker Punch prediction and it creates the opportunity for burns. Pyro Ball still does so much damage though and if it keeps spamming it, it can't get burnt.

With the starters getting their HAs its pretty obvious that Cinderace and Rillaboom should use them, but should Inteleon? I feel like sniper is better than torrent, but figured I should ask.

With the starters getting their HAs its pretty obvious that Cinderace and Rillaboom should use them, but should Inteleon? I feel like sniper is better than torrent, but figured I should ask.
Inteleon has always struggled in OU. Its frailty and inability to break prominent defensive Pokemon such as Toxapex means it is heavily out classed by other offensive waters. If you are set on using it, the people in the Metagame Analysis Thread have talked a bit about Crit sets vs Specs.

i've always thought that status condition are kind of broken and i don't think i'm the only one since something like the sleep clause exist and some got even nerfed directly by gamefreak, still now burning, poisoning and paralysis( that i especially hate and want the skip turn mechanic removed since it transform the game in haxxmon) are overall really common, so i wonder, why does aromatherapy has never been really played other than in hard stall ? do i overate the power and impact of status conditions ?

i've always thought that status condition are kind of broken and i don't think i'm the only one since something like the sleep clause exist and some got even nerfed directly by gamefreak, still now burning, poisoning and paralysis( that i especially hate and want the skip turn mechanic removed since it transform the game in haxxmon) are overall really common, so i wonder, why does aromatherapy has never been really played other than in hard stall ? do i overate the power and impact of status conditions ?
They are powerful yes and that's why they're so common. Aromatherapy and heal bell don't have great distribution, so it's hard to find a user to fit onto most teams who's drawbacks don't outweigh the cleric support. You may need to change your playstyle to respect the impact of status. Remember that you can choose which pokemon gets t-waves or burned. If you have a TTar in and you DD as they bring in clefable, and then you chose to DD again or to go for a stone crit while they T-wave you, that's on you for not switching out to something that doesn't mind paralysis as much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)