Project Ubers Player of the Week #1: Cromagnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Nayrz with idea from Arii Stella
Banner by my good friend Six

Welcome to Ubers Player of the Week! I'll be interviewing top Ubers players that have had success and are respected in the community. You will be able to ask questions to the player I interview by commenting on this post. Everyone cannot be interviewed but you can VM me or DM on Discord suggestions, hope you enjoy!

:eternatus: cromagnet :zacian-crowned:

Favorite Pokemon?

:celesteela:

Most Known For

Performance in UPL VIII with the Dapper Dracovish, success in SS and the guy that got Zesty into Pokemon.

Any backstory on your name?

I actually don't know where it came from. My cousin suggested that I name one of my crobats cromagnet back in DPP when I was like 9 or 10 years old. I have asked several times how he came up with that name and he doesn't remember, so the true origin was lost to time.

How did you get into competitive Pokemon?

I've been playing Pokemon for 15 years now and I would always build teams and battle my friends with "competitive teams" that were actually really bad. I found Smogon in 2015 and starting playing more seriously from then on out. I started out playing ORAS OU and starting doing AG and Ubers in gen 7 along with doing smog tours rather than just ladder.

Favorite Ubers Generation? Least favorite?

Gen 7 is absolutely my favorite. It's a rather large meta with a lot of room for innovation and coming up with wacky sets. I never really thought it was wildly unbalanced either. I really have only played USUM and SS but I would have to say ADV would be my least favorite just due to my inexperience in it and the mechanics being significantly different.

Thoughts on the current state of SS? Excited for the next DLC?

Getting back to what I was saying about a wildly unbalanced meta, I think SS is pretty unbalanced. I do like the meta but building can get pretty daunting as you continue to build. For building balance, Zacian has 2 switchins and Eternatus has 3 viable (counting Chansey and Blissey as one mon) switchins. Add on top of that insane threats like Excadrill and breakers with no switchins like Lunala, and teambuilding can get restrictive. I found ways to overcome this a bit, like discovering the power of Rotom + Wish and using spin balloon Excadrill as a hazard control that doesn't make the team passive. I just feel like, especially when building balance, there's those overwhelming, almost ubiquitous threats that force you to run certain Pokemon that makes you feel like you've already built a team before.
With that being said, I like the meta overall. I'm a big fan of how dmax users like Volcarona and Dragapult can be good. The meta being restrictive to only allow a handful of dmax-reliant sweepers reminds me of how megas made select Pokemon viable. I also like how other mons in lower tiers (like Urshifu, Mandibuzz, Togekiss, etc) can find viability. I think that when DLC 2 comes out the meta will be more insular with the old ubers coming through to dominate the meta. I am pretty excited for the DLC overall though. I think it will be a unique blend of all gens previously, taking Pokemon from gens 6 and 7 without primal formes or megas. Should be interesting to see if the new Pokemon will help to balance the meta out a little bit more, like adding a new answer for Zacian.

What do you think about the current Dynamax restrictions? Do you think it should be altered ?

I like the current restrictions. It balances dmax in a way that there's few offensive threats that are too overwhelming, such as dmax Zekrom which is borderline unstoppable in Galar Dex AG. It also enables some Pokemon to act as emergency checks to the huge threats like Zacian. I think the dmax ban should be added to. Some things like Kyurem-B and maybe even Excadrill should be suspected or quickbanned. It would prevent the meta from being wildly unbalanced rather than the moderate unbalance from stuff like Zacian. I could also see things like Kyurem-W coming down since dmax like won't make them busted. I'm very happy to see the restrictions in place for DLC 2, since dmax Yveltal, Xerneas, and Zygarde are very busted in National Dex AG and they would be even moreso in a meta with standard clauses and no Arceus.

Do you agree with the Baton Pass ban? Do you think anything else should be banned or suspected outside of Dynamax?

I was a huge advocate for the baton pass ban, I never understood why every gen we go through this same cycle with baton pass being legal for a little bit or the whole gen and then we find it unhealthy. I am from AG, so I have plenty of bad experiences with baton pass. As far as other things being banned, I think this gen is really close to the others in terms of banned things so I think we're good.

Do you have a favorite playstyle to use in Ubers?

I'm a big fan of balance, you got your offensive threats and defensive Pokemon to fall back on. Balance has been my staple through 2 gens and all the tiers I've played. I relied on balance for the majority of UPL but dabbled in offense when I realized its the key this gen. So balance is my favorite but I also am a growing fan of hazardless screens.

Favorite game you've witnessed?

Wow that's a tall order, but I'd probably have to say the game of PDC vs Poek from like 3 years ago. PDC lets Poek's Bisharp get up to +3 attack, uses z stealth rock on the sucker punch, lives the +3 sucker on the next turn and takes out the Bisharp. Crazy game and one of those times a somewhat-overlooked feature really saves someone. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-303307

Do you look up to any Ubers Players?

Yeah I look up to Ubers players that have helped me a lot during my time playing like PurpleGatorade and my good buddy Zesty. KyogreF4n, Orch, and Garay Oak are other super solid players I've been watching for a long time.

Congratulations on winning UPL! Care to tell us your experience as a Dapper Dracovish and the tournament as a whole?

It was a wild tour! I went into it very nervous since it was my first big PL and doubted myself quite a bit at first. The beginning was rough coming up with ideas and shaking off the nerves but I got going pretty quick and had a good idea to build around almost immediately every week until semifinals tiebreak. The tour began to drag on at the end since the idea well dried up but we were able to overcome and bring some good teams out there.
The team was very supportive and Icemaster and Purple Gatorade were always there for me and would help me bounce ideas around. They were always able to help during the few times I would run with an idea until Thursday and then we'd find something wildly wrong that we had to scrap the team entirely, such as my original screens not being able to deal with thunder wave at all. The real mvp of our SS core for me though was Shivam3299 who I brought on as a helper. We had great testing in AGPL and that translated over to UPL. He would throw a ton of different teams at whatever I was bringing so we had a pretty solid idea of individual threats or cores and could tell pretty early whether a team would work in most mus or not.
Dave and Abs were very supportive managers too and I really liked their hands-off approach of not telling me what to use. The entire team was all great players and great people and made the tour the most fun tour I've been a part of.

Any advice to new players looking to break into Ubers?

For advice to new players, I'd have to say to get as much experience as possible. Play ladder, play tours, ask prominent players for games to better yourself. Get into the meta now while its small and the building is somewhat formulaic to jumpstart the Ubers experience. In terms of getting into a tour like UPL, networking is key, getting to know people who can help sell you or may even be a manager who can draft you.

Could you provide us with a team you've made and explain the thought behind it?

:Urshifu-Gmax: :Togekiss: :Blissey: :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: :Rotom-Wash: :Eternatus: (click for import)
Here's my favorite team I've built in UPL. I asked Icemaster randomly one week if he thought togekiss paraspam could work and he thought it could. I previously had a paraspam pre-DLC but it didn't work too well since it didn't have a breaker. Here I called upon my week 1 tech and brought body slam Urshifu to act as a breaker, for momentum, and as a para abuser. Togekiss is standard and my way to air slash flinch everything down. This is the team where I discovered Rotom + Wish so I have Blissey to provide that as well as act as a t-waver. Rotom provides an amazing MU vs hazard stack (basically any hazard setter), rain, sand, and can take a hit from pretty much any one Pokemon, paralyze it, and of course be wished up later. Dusk Mane is the chosen rocker with T wave. Eternatus is there for the utility it provides and has shadow ball to help lure in Lunala.

Personal Question: I heard you're into hip hop, do you have a favorite rapper?

I'm a big fan of underground rap, so artists like Rittz, King ISO, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Kxng Crooked, and Locksmith I'm a big fan of.

=

Thanks for your time answering these questions Cromagnet! Feel free to ask questions below in the thread!

Random questions:
Do you have beef with anyone?
Something you like/support but everyone dislikes?
How does the idea of lifting dmax clause when dlc 2 comes and running a suspect or whatever later sound?
just to see if dmax checks dmax, maybe something like "dmax zekrom vs dmax don" (a bit silly ik)
Do you play any other ss metas besides Ubers and AG?

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Congrats on winning UPL! A few questions on your opinion on the meta:
What do you think is the most overhyped playstyle or mon rn?
Are there any really underrated or underused mons/sets you think could be impactful in the meta rn?
Favourite dmaxer to use? Not necessarily the best just most satisfying to click buttons with.
What do you think the order of the weather teams are from best to worst typically?

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Random questions:
Do you have beef with anyone?
Something you like/support but everyone dislikes?
How does the idea of lifting dmax clause when dlc 2 comes and running a suspect or whatever later sound?
just to see if dmax checks dmax, maybe something like "dmax zekrom vs dmax don" (a bit silly ik)
Do you play any other ss metas besides Ubers and AG?
1. I try to stay out of beef with people, so if I do I either forget or its one sided.
2. I absolutely don't think dmax restrictions should be lifted at DLC 2. I have a working knowledge of SS Natdex AG, and I know that dmax mons, especially yveltal are insane. That's a meta with arceus, MULTIPLE arceus, everywhere. However, AG will switch to Galar Dex when DLC 2 comes around so it will basically be Ubers + free dmax. But overall I think it would create a crazy unbalanced meta.
3. Only AG and Ubers. I tried OU a bit but I just can't get into it. I still try to play SM OU any chance I get though.
Congrats on winning UPL! A few questions on your opinion on the meta:
What do you think is the most overhyped playstyle or mon rn?
Are there any really underrated or underused mons/sets you think could be impactful in the meta rn?
Favourite dmaxer to use? Not necessarily the best just most satisfying to click buttons with.
What do you think the order of the weather teams are from best to worst typically?
1. I think KB is pretty overrated. I'm more of a believer than I was 2 months ago but I think its really overhyped.
2. I tried to use a few underused mons that can work well. Small techs like shadow ball etern on lunala weak teams or body slam urshifu are helpful for evening out mus. Not really underused, but rotom-w is the best fogger in the game rn. It comes in literally for free on the main rockers and spikers in the tier and sets off defog. Its so nice as a wish receiver too due to its stellar typing and ability. It's also an exca check. So think of a better corviknight. Really upset why its not higher in viability but we'll get there. I also like Zamazenta a lot. Its generally outclassed by Urshifu because they do similar things but Urshi has better stabs and fires off moves more freely. But Zamazenta has higher bulk and speed and it busts past a lot of checks meant to stop physical attackers broadly, like Quag and Corvi. It just requires a lot of prediction.
3. My favorite dmaxer has to be excadrill, mainly because its so strong but also because its so versatile and you can tack it on a ton of teams. Ground is also a crazy nice typing. Gmax zard is a close second though.
4. Sand > rain > sun > hail. Hail isnt even a thing, I debated aurora veil for a solid 2 minutes in UPL but grimm is a lot better of a screens setter. Sun is very powerful but a high risk/high reward thing. Rain is strong but tougher to use than sand because its easier to just tack ttar and exca on a team than peli and rain abuser.

The Bomb

Banned deucer.
Question time!

1)Cereal/Milk/Bowl/Spoon (in correct order)
2) What is the sexiest play you have ever made in a PS! game about which you are still proud of?
3)Thoughts on the upcoming DLC?
4)If I am cro, who is my bro?
5)Pass me your playlist pls
6)Any new tiers you want to catch upto outside the ones you play?

Last edited:
Hey heatmagnet,
1) If you had the opportunity to be any person in the Ubers/AG community for one day, whom would you choose and why?
2)If you could go back in time to change any play you've ever made in an Ubers/AG game, what is the single play your would have chosen?
3) What is your favorite type of food, and why is it Indian?
4) Whats your priority? AG or Ubers?
5)How does it feel knowing you're going to complete the treble, winning AGPL, UPL, and AGTT? lol

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
1. What's your favorite post on Smogon?

2. What's a playstyle that you think you could improve at?

3. What mon, in any tier/gen, is one that you think is the most overrated?

4. Similarly, what mon, in any tier/gen, is one that you think is the most underrated?

5. What are some activities that you like to do outside of mons?

6. What's a language that you wish you knew?

cromagnet

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Question time!

1)Cereal/Milk/Bowl/Spoon (in correct order)
2) What is the sexiest play you have ever made in a PS! game about which you are still proud of?
3)Thoughts on the upcoming DLC?
4)If I am cro, who is my bro?
5)Pass me your playlist pls
6)Any new tiers you want to catch upto outside the ones you play?
1. Bowl, cereal, spoon, milk
2. That's a tough one, but this game comes to mind. I stayed in on his kart with my gliscor on the defog and set up rocks. Was a good matchup for me for sure. There's more but it's been so long I can't remember.
3. I'm pretty excited for it, it'll help make all metas on PS feel more complete, I hope.
4. Everyone :]
5. https://open.spotify.com/user/cromagnet_?si=FuAKdwSOTqOdOfEu9rPMxQ
6. I've been wanting to get back into OU again,I didn't like it at the beginning of the gen but I'd like to try it out again.
Hey heatmagnet,
1) If you had the opportunity to be any person in the Ubers/AG community for one day, whom would you choose and why?
2)If you could go back in time to change any play you've ever made in an Ubers/AG game, what is the single play your would have chosen?
3) What is your favorite type of food, and why is it Indian?
4) Whats your priority? AG or Ubers?
5)How does it feel knowing you're going to complete the treble, winning AGPL, UPL, and AGTT? lol
1. Me
2. I'm still kicking myself for not clicking sball week 2 of UPL when my Eternatus was in vs Dusk Mane. Would have won me the game but that's what happens when you play too quick.
3. I'm a huge fan of Italian/Mediterranean food.
4. I think I can do both!
5. I don't know about AGTT, but it's awesome winning both PLs I got into this time around. It was a lot tougher to win UPL though, especially in playoffs.
1. What's your favorite post on Smogon?

2. What's a playstyle that you think you could improve at?

3. What mon, in any tier/gen, is one that you think is the most overrated?

4. Similarly, what mon, in any tier/gen, is one that you think is the most underrated?

5. What are some activities that you like to do outside of mons?

6. What's a language that you wish you knew?
1. Another tough question. I don't know about my entire time on smogon, but probably the meme of the Sableye teaching the Zubats from AGPL.
2. As funny as it sounds, stall. I always fear using it because I never want to sit down to a mind-numbing half hour or hour long game. Plus there's always the risk the other person will bring it and that's even worse.
3. I think Lando-T in USUM OU is pretty overrated. It's good and the best mon in the tier, but it doesn't deserve all the talk it (used) to get about being banned or suspected.
4. I always loved Gastrodon (green and blue version) in gen 7 OU. It usually rose and fell as far as tiers go throughout the tear, would go OU during OLT then back down to PU every other time. But I think its a very solid Pokemon and it can be super good in some matchups. One of my favorite teams even had Mega Scizor, Gastrodon, Zapdos, and banded Zygarde and was such as strong and solid team.
5. I keep tropical fish, that's the main one outside of research and school.
6. Physics

What are your thoughts on regarding Mega Rayquaza should it be freed?
What word of five letters has only one left when two letters are removed?
You live in a one story house made entirely of redwood. What color would the stairs be?
What has six faces, but does not wear makeup, has twenty-one eyes, but cannot see? What is it?

cromagnet

What are your thoughts on regarding Mega Rayquaza should it be freed?
What word of five letters has only one left when two letters are removed?
You live in a one story house made entirely of redwood. What color would the stairs be?
What has six faces, but does not wear makeup, has twenty-one eyes, but cannot see? What is it?
1. Freed to ubers or freed to gen 8? No to the first, yes to the second along with all megas.
2. Money
3. No stairs
4. Dice

Edit: and I only need to look up question 2

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Favourite old gen as far as non Ubers go?
Is zesty as handsome irl as his pictures lead one to believe?
If you could ghost yourself for only ONE turn with the knowledge you have now, what game would you pick? What would the turn be?
Favourite movie you watched this year?

Gratz on winning UPL again, by the way!

cromagnet

Favourite old gen as far as non Ubers go?
Is zesty as handsome irl as his pictures lead one to believe?
If you could ghost yourself for only ONE turn with the knowledge you have now, what game would you pick? What would the turn be?
Favourite movie you watched this year?

Gratz on winning UPL again, by the way!
1. SM OU is my favorite metagame period.
2. Absolutely :]
3. Tall order, can't really think that far back. But recently, I was playing gen 7 ou in a discord tour and I made all the wrong plays thinking this guy was going to double with his Tornadus to prevent it from being para'd by my Zapdos's static. Well I was wrong and he just didn't care and made a ton of wrong plays.
4. I actually haven't watched a new movie this year surprisingly. But I did rewatch Revenge of the Sith with my roommate before the pandemic hit which was fun,

Favorite moment during UPL? Least one?

Ever tried to play an instrument?

What do you think Ubers community needs to be better? Or do you think it’s good as it is?

If you have to erase one music style from existence, which would you pick?

Do you think you are addicted to Pokémon or you feel like you can drop it anytime you want?

cromagnet

Favorite moment during UPL? Least one?

Ever tried to play an instrument?

What do you think Ubers community needs to be better? Or do you think it’s good as it is?

If you have to erase one music style from existence, which would you pick?

Do you think you are addicted to Pokémon or you feel like you can drop it anytime you want?
1. My favorite moment was of course when Ice won vs Royal and we won the whole thing. Least favorite was having to build for finals.
2. I used to play percussion for a number of years, I don't remember much of it though.
3. I like the community, but I'm still relatively new so maybe there's a lot I don't know.
4. Probably country
5. I can drop it any time I want and there were times I dropped it, like when my studies got really tough, without making the conscious decision to. Stuff just piled up and it got to the point I couldn't get on mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)