Media Videogame thread

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi hi all, summer is about over, school is starting again, so I figured I’d recap the games I’ve played over the summer, most were for the first time but a few were replays to affirm my opinion on them. I may get around to doing longer reviews of some of these eventually, but those take an insane amount of work, so I decided to do some shorter reviews instead. I'll do a few games in this post, and might make another for the other games I played

Thunder Force IV (known in the US as Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar)
tf4 title.png
fleet.png
caterpillar.png

System: Genesis, also has a Switch port (but I played on Genesis)
Release Year: 1992
Genre: Shmup
Completion Notes: 1CCed Normal Mode, thinking of going back and playing Hard and possibly Maniac mode at some point.

Let's get the most well-known aspect of this game out of the way: Thunder Force IV's OST is fucking INCREDIBLE. The Genesis's FM Audio soundchip is a bit controversial since it's more obtuse and less versatile than the SNES's sequenced audio, but composers Takeshi Yoshida and Toshiharu Yamanishi (had to look them up since I don't know their names :/) expertly use it to produce some killer rock music, reflected in the game's most iconic track, Metal Squad. Like seriously, if you don't think the Genesis is capable of amazing music, LISTEN TO METAL SQUAD. The thing is though, TFIV’s soundtrack isn't limited to the composers flexing their technical mastery of making unique video game music, but it’s all legitimately well composed and catchy too: the game straight-up has good tunes. Metal Squad's roaring guitars are mindblowing the first time you listen to it, yes, but once the initial excitement wears off it still holds up because of how enjoyable that melody is; I still find myself humming the song's hook and love the lead-in to it. You can find similarly excellent rock in the heroic start to the game, Fighting Back, Sea of Flames, which fits well with one of the game's most intense stages (not hardest mind you), and the awesome credits theme Stand Up Against Myself. The soundtrack isn’t even just limited to this sound; TFIV still has plenty of less metal tracks like the wonderful melodies of Space Walk and Sand Hell, the intense Battle Ship and The Danger Zone, which perfectly complement the game's most climactic moments, and the beautiful tune you hear at the end of a run, Because You’re the Number One. The one disappointment in the OST is the boss themes, as a lot of them feel very same-y, or at the very least short/repetitive, though not bad (Phantom, however, is an extremely well-fitting song for the game’s toughest boss fight). Ultimately, while I don't necessarily love EVERY song, none of the songs are bad, and the excellent stuff very much outweighs the decent/meh stuff.

Much like Plok and Streets of Rage, I think people focus a lot on the game's OST and end up forgetting that Thunder Force IV itself is still a damn good game. Thanks to its faster processor (BLAST PROCESSING if you will) alongside its more hardcore appeal, the Genesis tended to be a much better system than the SNES when it came to Shmups, considering how the likes of Gradius III were quite prone to lag, and Thunder Force IV is quite possibly the best Shmup to come out on 16-bit consoles. Its greatness really comes down to its excellent production values and how they complement the gameplay. We've already established how good TFIV's OST is, but alongside that is the incredible sound design. The sound of exploding enemy ships, bullets hitting bosses...the swift yet brutal sound of your own death, it all helps make for an exhilarating experience. The graphics too are damn good, from the design of bosses, to the detailed backgrounds and parallax scrolling (although they get less interesting in the 2nd half of the game), to even the sprite effects and animations used to explosions and bullets. While it may seem minor to bring this stuff up, they subtly help make the game incredibly satisfying to play compared to most other Shmups of the time. TFIV generally has a steady framerate, but unfortunately, it does have its moments of lagging like crazy, and you can make the game lag on the fly by using the sprite-intensive Blade or Hunter weapons, which can feel a bit cheap, but sometimes you need that edge in gameplay.

The actual gameplay is a tad standard, though it's so well-polished that it really doesn't matter. Each level has some great midbosses, set-pieces, and/or gimmicks. Obviously your ship is plenty of fun to control, with an adjustable movement speed and a good number of fun weapons that you can switch between on the fly. However, two weapons stand out as particularly centralizing: Hunter, which you get in Stage 2, shoots out a ridiculous amount of homing bullets that will invalidate pretty much every enemy besides bosses and mid-bosses, and even then it's still useful on a few boss fights, and the Thunder Sword, a close-range charged attack you can use starting at the halfway mark that is stupidly powerful and can be used to quick-kill bosses. That does bring up one of the other issues with the game: A lot of the bosses are just way too long when you're lacking in weapons, which makes for some fights that are rather tense and unnerving, since you'll really feel the tension of trying to win the fight without hitting the Game Over screen, but for the easier boss fights that you know how to win with the right weapons, it can just serve to be a frustrating drag.

But, there’s really no beating around the bush on what the game's main point of contention is: the difficulty. If you're inexperienced with Shmups like I was, be warned that, like a lot of classic Shmups, Thunder Force IV is HARD. Like, really fucking hard.

I think I’ve been playing this game on and off for over 2 years and I only finally managed to finally beat the game earlier this year, and then it took a few more tries to 1CC it. Unlike Ninja Gaiden, which eases players in with its surprisingly easy opening stages before entering bullshit territory, TFIV has no issue sending unassuming players (i.e. me) to the Game Over screen partway through Stage 1. Also, as with most shmups, TFIV has one-hit kills and limited continues if you hit the Game Over screen, so expect to be replaying the same levels over and over until you've mastered them, only to get stuck on whatever comes next and be prepared to do everything all over again. Considering how short TFIV is, at around 45-60 minutes, I guess you could compare it to a Roguelike in that sense...though obviously the repeat playthroughs are static. Additionally, whatever weapon you have currently equipped is lost upon dying. After Stage 2, the next time you can get Hunter is on Stage 8, so you better not die while using it or else Stages 3, 5, and 6 are going to much harder. While there are frequent Shield power-ups that give you a few extra hits before dying, death still comes swiftly in TFIV. While dying almost always feels deserved, part of that feeling comes down to just how clearly unrelenting the game is. There is unfortunately still a noticeable amount of cheap deaths, and there is a BIG focus on memorization and replaying the game constantly to learn of ideal strategies to finishing the game. I personally really like this tactical aspect of challenging games, it's one of the reasons I think Katana ZERO is so excellent, but because of its limited continues and just how tough it is, Thunder Force IV is a particularly daunting and sometimes frustrating experience. It also doesn't help that some of those tactics boil down to "don't lose Hunter" or involve purposely shooting with Hunter or Blade to lag the game so that it's easier to dodge things.

And yet, I still managed to get through it all. As hard as Thunder Force IV was, fact is that the game was also satisfying as hell to play. When you are in a winning position, it simultaneously feels like a power fantasy, and yet you're also just barely gliding over the hand of Death. I definitely felt accomplished being able to say I beat the game considering how much effort it took to get there. Still, at the end of the day, Thunder Force IV is a 16-bit Shmup, and you can only make a 16-bit Shmup so good. The game's difficulty is honestly not that bad once you know the game front-to-back (well okay, what game isn't) but it takes an insane amount of time just to get to that point, and that's only on Normal mode. I've tried playing on the Hard and Maniac difficulties, and they are noticeably tougher than Normal, I can't even cleanly beat the first few stages on those modes. As great as it is, Thunder Force IV isn't a game I can give a general recommendation given how hard it is (even on Easy), but if you're a fan of Shmups/Bullet Hells or are looking for a challenge, then I'd highly recommend you go check it out. Be aware that if you're playing TFIV on an older emulator like Kega Fusion, the game will be less lag-prone than on console, which seems good on the surface, but it will often result in the game being a tad harder than it should be.

High 7 to Low 8 / 10 (Legit good).

To the Moon
to the moon.png
to the moon 2.png
to the moon 3.png

System: PC, Mobile, Switch (I played on PC)
Release Year: 2011
Genre: Adventure, Walking Simulator
Completion Notes: Beat it before back in 2017, beat it again recently to confirm my opinion on it.

To the Moon is not a good game. It sucks saying that to a much-adored indie game, but I honestly did not like this one, and that's coming from someone who's played a fair share of Adventure/Visual Novel games.

Let’s tackle the basic problems. The graphics: They are bland as hell due to the game being built in an old version of RPG Maker. By extension, the game’s interfaces and controls are very clunky and the game also lacks much in the way of settings on PC, resulting in the game always being fullscreen in an incredibly low resolution. The soundtrack is boring, some of the songs feel cliche, but most are moody piano tunes that are largely forgettable due to bleeding together. The gameplay basically boils down to running around a clunky RPG overworld to find certain interactables and solving some extremely basic tiles puzzles, hell even the tile puzzles disappear after Act 1, and your movement speed varies depending on what part of the game you are on, making some sections incredibly slow. There is an interesting puzzle in Act 2, but I’m pretty sure I solved it with an incorrect solution.

That leaves the game’s narrative. It is true that To the Moon is a narratively driven game, but it is NOT a good narrative. The story itself is compelling enough and has a cool setup: Look through a terminally ill patient’s memories and change them so that they remember themselves being an astronaut and going to the moon before they die. It’s pretty melodramatic and bland, but it has a very moody atmosphere and is fairly fleshed out, as things set up in Act 1 do have a pay-off. The more consistent problems, however, are the characters and writing. The characters are bland as hell and lack much in terms of personality or anything interesting; I can’t recall the names of most of the cast let alone describe them. The two playable characters have personality, but they also totally break the game’s serious tone with some really cringe-inducing writing that sometimes devolves to just referencing things; it occasionally becomes a little too obvious that this was an indie game made in 2011 (Doctor Who references? Really?). I know it makes sense narratively for these characters to act this way, since this is just another day of work for them, but it doesn’t make for an entertaining experience. The story is enjoyable enough for Act 1, but Act 2 is largely a waste of time and the developments at the start of Act 3 are eye-rolling. But then we get to the climax and ending, which are awful. The finale doesn’t make any sense narratively (How the HELL is River the one preventing Johnny from going to the Moon, the loss of his brother is the fundamental reason) and is INCREDIBLY emotionally manipulative considering that sappy song during the disappearance sequence and how it back-pedals on all of that right afterwards.

When I took all of this into account, I realized something…To the Moon has nothing going for it. The graphics are mediocre, the gameplay is mediocre, the soundtrack is mediocre, and they even managed to botch the story. At least with other flawed Adventure games that I've played, there was something they had going for them. Time Hollow was also kinda bland and had lackluster gameplay, but it was a more solid experience overall, had some interesting ideas, and a half-decent ending. Snatcher also suffered from a massively disappointing finale, but the rest of the game up to that point was great across the board. Metal Slader Glory's plot was messy, contrived, and had mostly weak characters, but for a 1991 NES game, it still had one surprisingly good character in Elena, and the game itself had some extremely impressive (and at times forward-thinking) gameplay sequences and graphics. (I should talk about this game some time lol). While I hesitate to call To the Moon outright bad, since it wasn’t a straight-up pain to play, I can’t say I came out of this game with a positive outlook.

High 3 to Low 4 / 10 (Not Good). Might do a full review on this one…though I’ll need to replay the game again uggggh

Super Mario Galaxy
288495-super-mario-galaxy-wii-screenshot-title-screen.png
leaf mario.png
dark matter.png

System: Wii, Wii U eShop (I played on Wii)
Release Year: 2007
Genre: 3D Platformer
Completion Notes: Beat this over 10 years ago as a kid, but I didn't get all 120 Stars at the time. Got 60 Stars, and was working on getting all 120 before the announcement

Welp this is a coincidence, I was revisiting Super Mario Galaxy for the first time in 10 years and they announced the Switch port xd

But really, this game is excellent. The planet gameplay and physics system still makes for one the most magical gameplay experiences I've ever had. There really is nothing quite like leaping off the edge of the planet and feeling gravity take its course. Sure, the non-planet levels are more standard Mario fare, but they're still very fun, and they at least help break up the pace from the more grand and serious levels. Soundtrack obviously has stellar peaks as well. Really my main complaints are the non-timed Purple Coin missions, which are a massive slog to get through, especially if you end up dying, and the low-res graphics, which are really starting to show their age on modern TVs, so I'm really excited to play the game again in HD :D . I've also noticed the game's levels are shorter and easier than I remember, but I guess that's just what happens with the passage of time, and they're a blast to play regardless.

Yeah okay I don't have much to say about this Galaxy 1; this game's awesome, you know it, I know it, I'm probably going to play this again on 3D All-Stars, let's move on.

Low 9 / 10 (Amazing.)

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (known in PAL as Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies)
maxresdefault.jpg
keeper.png

System: Wii, Wii U eShop (I played on Wii)
Release Year: 2010
Genre: Rail Shooter, Ultra Crazy Action Game
Completion Notes: Beat Normal Isa and Hard Kachi once each, then did several 1CC runs of Easy Isa and Easy Isa+Kachi

Developed by Treasure, a team of Ex-Konami employees known for making crazy and unique action games (Basically, they're the 90s and 00s equivalent of PlatinumGames, albeit without as much commercial success), and published by Nintendo, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is the sequel to a Japan-only N64 title and was released to meh sales but critical acclaim. Unfortunately, Star Successor was completely forgotten by the time of end-of-year awards, as it was not only a niche title, but it released very close to Super Mario Galaxy 2. Even nowadays I rarely see it even mentioned, let alone meaningfully discussed. Star Successor has been sitting on my shelf for a few years now and having played it several times to completion over the past few months, I can confidently say that not only did I have fun with it, but…this is one of my favorite games of all-time. It’s a very short game, a deathless playthrough will last just over 2 hours (though if you’re playing on Normal or Hard mode death is pretty inevitable), but those 2 hours are nothing short of an incredibly paced roller coaster ride of action. The sheer amount of stuff crammed into these levels is insane, I am still finding new level details and enemies with my most recent playthrough. The boss fights are incredible, and the sheer amount of them is insane; in Stage 2 (the tutorial level is considered Stage 0), there are THREE multi-phase boss fights and two other bosses that are still very well fleshed out. You’ll constantly feel like you’ve reached the end of a level when you beat a boss, only for the game to not only keep going, but to somehow top it with an even more incredible boss fight. And it all culminates in a spectacular finale; Stage 7 is definitely a contender for my favorite video game level at the moment thanks to amazing fights, and the bosses at the end of Stage 6 were fantastic too.

And yet, even after you’ve beaten the game, you can replay it on Hard Mode. While Normal Mode is already decently tough, Hard Mode is nothing short of brutal, as every section past Stage 2 is very well capable of killing you, and it demands that you get well-versed with the game's boss fights. And yet, Hard Mode is still plenty fair thanks to its lenient checkpoints. You can attempt to go for a high score, though it requires you to beat the game deathless in one sitting (no save+quitting), hence why my later playthroughs were on Easy, as beating even Normal Mode deathless in one go is a daunting task. It's when going for high scores that you quickly realize Star Successor has an utterly insane skill ceiling, as an optimal score is based on you shooting everything (reminder, there is a LOOOT of stuff that you are capable of shooting at)…and never ever taking damage…and killing bosses quickly (or beating them at the last second for a small bonus)…and staying on the ground rather than the air to get a bonus for how long you’re staying…AND collect hidden medals in each stage obtained for accomplishing secret tasks. Even if you TASed the game, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find the maximum possible score. To top it all off, the controls and combat of the game are surprisingly simple and yet have a shocking amount of depth thanks to your melee attack, which doubles as a parry for enemy projectiles (and yes, hitting enemies with reflected projectiles also gives bonus points), and the game has a wonderful OST by Treasure mainstay Norio Hanzawa, with Arcade game-inspired EDM bangers like the menu theme System, Stage 2, Stage 3 Part 2 [unofficially called Saki], Stage 4 Part 3 [aka Abyss], the Nebulox Boss theme, and the later Major Boss theme [aka War], just to name a few, as I really liked pretty much every song in the game. While there are two particular songs that stand as my favorites, they are unfortunately very spoiler-y due to playing at the very end of the game, but if you’d like to listen to them, they are Morph, which plays in the brilliant final 2 minutes of gameplay, and Anokoroe, the main credits theme.

As much as I'm gushing, and just on a surface level at that, I know Star Successor is not a perfect game. While Star Successor runs incredibly well technically and rarely lags, considering just how much is on-screen at any given time, the graphics themselves are not the most impressive by 2010 standards. Stage 6, as good as its ending is, drags on for a little too long, has sparse checkpoints, and has some relatively subpar and gimmicky bosses. The game is probably too short and content-lacking to please those who don’t care about a high score, since all you get is playing the game or individual stages with 3 difficulties and 3 fundamentally similar characters, there's little in the way of unlockables and it's so disappointing that this game lacks any sort of Boss Rush modes. Those that play for high scores may find the game extremely long by Arcade game standards (which are usually around an hour at most) and may be annoyed at the lack of options for practicing the game. The Wiimote + Nunchuck, as great as it is, is also the only viable control option, as Dual Analog is too slow for how demanding this game's combat gets. But ultimately, these flaws don't hold the game back much in my eyes, as I could just as easily go into extensive detail about how amazing each part of the game is.

It’s depressing how overlooked Star Successor is, especially since it effectively serves as Treasure’s last game. But at the very least, Treasure’s developers can be proud to have ended on the highest note of their careers, at least based on what I’ve played from them. Fans of Action games in general, especially Rail Shooters, Bullet Hells, Character Action Games, and 2D Action games, NEEEEEED to play Star Successor. The physical copies are not even that expensive and it's also available digitally on Wii U eShop. Hell it even plays pretty well on Dolphin with Keyboard + Mouse, just play it any way you can. Please.

Low 9 to Mid 9 / 10 (Amazing.) I REALLY want to do a more extensive review of this game some time, hell I kinda want to do a Youtube review.

Attachments

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I need to play more than 2 hrs of BotW before the new Hyrule Warriors game—that game’s gonna be SIIICK

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I need to play more than 2 hrs of BotW before the new Hyrule Warriors game—that game’s gonna be SIIICK
You know the crazy thing about this...

Remember the climb down the Sacred Grounds before the final battle with Ghirahim and Demise in Skyward Sword? Hyrule Warriors is actually a perfect sort of fit for a scenario which we already saw in a mainline console Zelda game. The fact they are actually integrating it into a canonical Zelda plot is huge. I liked how Hyrule Warriors handled it's plot too, Warriors games don't skimp on story despite the gameplay being a modified Beat-Em Up.

I want to see the events play out even though we know how it ends. Supposedly BotW2 is supposed to be darker than Majora's Mask. I loved how dark MM was. That concept of that mask still scares the heck out of me. I have no idea how the Zelda Team is going to top that. Then again, I had no idea this gem was going to land either...

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
just played gorogoa, it was fun and cute. innovative puzzle game where you drag scenes around a 2x2 grid to progress... kinda hard to explain but nice diversion to while away a few hours

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Gonna toss out a quick niche recommendation to anyone who, like me, has cleared all the Ace Attorneys, Danganronpas, Zero Escapes, even the Professor Laytons and the various one-offs like Ghost Trick, even mystery games with very different ambiance and influences like Obra Dinn, and just cannot fucking get enough of it all.

Play Broken Minds if you get the chance. It's a small project and as such it can be rough around the edges at times, but it still easily draws you in with the peculiar art style and general atmosphere, and more importantly it explores a lot of uncharted territory in terms of what a mystery game can do. Not all of its ideas land perfectly, but it's a bold fucking game which presents a lot of new concepts so there's still a lot to be salvaged here.
I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't spend hours thinking about the writing of mystery videogames, but if you are that kind of person you might want to play this

Finished the Xenoblade Chronicles, as well as the Future Connected Epilouge. Overall, one of the best RPGs I've played, and is a must play for those who love RPGs, especially for JRPG fans.

As for the Future Connected, it was ok. There are a lot of points that either are dropped completely or not explained, like who or what the final boss was, or this antagonist who has grand plans only to be dropped after fighting him. It does really feel like part of a sequel rather than a conclusion. Maybe this episode is a hint to a direct sequel? Maybe in something in similar to Xenoblade Chronicles.

As for the Future Connected, it was ok. There are a lot of points that either are dropped completely or not explained, like who or what the final boss was, or this antagonist who has grand plans only to be dropped after fighting him. It does really feel like part of a sequel rather than a conclusion. Maybe this episode is a hint to a direct sequel? Maybe in something in similar to Xenoblade Chronicles.
I believe that's the case, yeah. It's setting up a next step.

Xenoblade DE and Xenoblade 2 take place in parallel universes, with Klaus as Zanza and that other woman becoming Meyneth in Shulks world. Klaus is also the architect in Xenoblade 2. My understanding of the fog king "lore" is that it hints at an interdimensional rift - further tying the two together. It's also made clear that Alvis is the third Aegis from XB2, the one that went missing, judging from his pendent in Xenoblade DE. It also fits thematically, Mythra is the light, Malos the darkness, and Alvis as an agent of balance. In XB2, the third aegis disappeared in an "interdimensional incident" possibly similar to.... the Fog King. The power level difference could also be explained away by Mythra and Malos requiring Drivers to some extent, where in Shulks universe there appears to be no such requirement. See also: Pneuma's true power level after the architect gives her Elysium's admin access. Very similar what Alvis is revealed to be at the end of XB DE.

It seems that XB2 would be the "base" world due to the orbital station being ground zero for the experiement (either that, or its a direct recreation by Klaus). I'm not sure how they would go about combining the combat systems, but all 4 or 5 of the Xenoblade systems are kind of the same so that shouldn't be an issue. So for the next chapter, Xenoblade 3 or however they brand it, would likely see the two worlds coming together.

Last edited:

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
10+ years ago and earlier I couldn't stand JRPGs, but now it seems they're all I'm enjoying anymore in terms of video games. On the bright side, that's a large backlog I can work through and they're mostly pretty cheap thanks to the age! I wonder if it's because they tend to be simple enough that I can pick them up and put them down without a giant up-front investment.

Currently getting through Final Fantasy XIII.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As far as FFXIII goes, one thing that really annoys me about it is a particularly nagging piece of gameplay/story segregation. I just finished the boss of chapter 11. At this point it's established by the narrative that we're on a clock and it's almost up -- everybody's brands have the open eye. But the game expects us to go and grind for a bit in order to make it through the upcoming parts. Given what was established by the narrative though, that makes no sense. I *hate* it when games do that.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
As far as FFXIII goes, one thing that really annoys me about it is a particularly nagging piece of gameplay/story segregation. I just finished the boss of chapter 11. At this point it's established by the narrative that we're on a clock and it's almost up -- everybody's brands have the open eye. But the game expects us to go and grind for a bit in order to make it through the upcoming parts. Given what was established by the narrative though, that makes no sense. I *hate* it when games do that.
The Tales series is pretty infamous for really pressuring you to hurry up to the next story segment because, goddamit, the world's gonna end and our friends are kidnapped dude! But then a ton of really blase, exclusive, time sensitive side quests will open up at the same time, like the spa on the other side of the planet to get those relaxation costumes, like the developers were really convinced you wouldn't just jump to the next story segment.

I think it's a fault a lot of jrpgs fall into lol

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1599964073757.png

I just recently found out about the extra chapters in Celeste, so I'm going back to hunt for Strawberries, B Side tapes, and Crystal Hearts. Its amazing how much you improve at this game, I can mostly waltz through levels I spent ages on before. Revisiting this game is truly a joy, you owe it to yourself to try it out if you haven't already done so

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Tales series is pretty infamous for really pressuring you to hurry up to the next story segment because, goddamit, the world's gonna end and our friends are kidnapped dude! But then a ton of really blase, exclusive, time sensitive side quests will open up at the same time, like the spa on the other side of the planet to get those relaxation costumes, like the developers were really convinced you wouldn't just jump to the next story segment.

I think it's a fault a lot of jrpgs fall into lol
While I'm not as familiar with J-RPGs as I'd like to think, the two games I can immediately think of that dissuade you from sidequesting too much are the SMT Devil Survivor games. Like the Persona games, you are given a limited amount of time each day and can pursue events that may or may not be related to the main story, and doing each one will take up 30 minutes of your in-game time (the games take place over an in-game week), and many of them are only available for a set amount of time (Xenoblade does this too tbf). The catch is that plot-mandatory events might available at the same time as your sidequests, and some of these are also timed in a way. While the game eventually forces you to go to these events, not doing so immediately might get characters permanently killed off because you took too long, so it's best to do them as soon as they're available.

So dissuading players from doing too many sidequests is definitely possible, but it could be pretty constraining and frustrating for players who just want to do things at their own pace, hence why a lot of games don't do that. And even then the Devil Survivor games still let you grind without penalty.

Surgo

goes to eleven
So dissuading players from doing too many sidequests is definitely possible, but it could be pretty constraining and frustrating for players who just want to do things at their own pace, hence why a lot of games don't do that. And even then the Devil Survivor games still let you grind without penalty.
The thing that gets me is there's a third option that isn't what FF13 is doing but also isn't what you've mentioned (and apparently what FF13-3 does with a countdown clock). It's to just...set it up so you don't have to backtrack or grind. If I'm on a severe clock, the game should neither incentivize (in the form of sidequests) or require (in the form of necessary grinding to get past a section) me to go do something else that's not related to that clock. It should just be purely linear while the clock is running.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Personally Lightning Returns: FF XIII (speed ran it :P), is my favorite of the three, as it's more enjoyable just playing as Lightning and essentially having "control" more so over her actions but I did also enjoy FF XIII and XIII-2 as well.

Really considering buying No Straight Roads. Saw some of the gameplay and cutscenes and it looks really fascinating. At first I thought it looked like an interesting music combat game with cool aesthetics but I realized there's a lot of really great themes in the characters and the plot, and it's quite story heavy. If anyone has played it or looked into it I'd love to hear your opinions.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Video games have been something big to me since I was little until now. In the past when I was around 3 to 5, I used to watch my brother playing games like Super Paper Mario, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy. Although I was only watching, it built my relationship with my brother as we worked together to solve puzzles and mysteries. Eventually after years of watching, I began playing a game my self, PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure! It was a very fun game for me and the first game for me to play and complete. I remember sometimes even convincing my mum to play the vine swing game. During my childhood, I saw video games as an entertainment device but now as I look back I see they were also part of building my relationships and personality. As time has gone, I played lots of video games, Ds, wii, switch, but lately as I've found myself busy with more real life events, I haven't gotten much time to play. Some of my favourite games are Pokemon White 2, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing but they are time consuming and I have lately preferred just chilling on Pokemon Showdown rather than getting up to open a game because it has been helping me work with anxiety problems and allowed me to relieve stress. However, I haven't stopped playing video games entirely, it's just become more mundane and less used by me. If anyone knows any cool calm video games though, please share, I'd like to get back into one

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Recent victim here, 200 hours, A20'd all characters and 100%'d achievements today. Save yourself

Can't wait to try A20 true boss kills tho tbh
i have done this and looking back it was gruelling and not worth it lol

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
i have done this and looking back it was gruelling and not worth it lol
It took me like 5 tries on Silent and Defect each for true boss A20 kills. If u can beat the double boss you can probably beat the true boss tbh, not nearly as hard as I expected

Sorry in advance for ranting a bit, this is something I was reminded of recently that's been on my chest for a couple years.

I play rpgs for the gameplay. I love their complexity and massively enjoy crafting unique and interesting characters and parties. I find story and characters secondary. I feel ... unwelcome? in some discussion of rpgs as a result. And, as stupid as it is to lay everything at the feet of one work, I can't shake the fact that Undertale's success concerns me. It's managed to become a face of rpgs, if not even gaming as a whole, while putting as much effort as possible to tear down your standard rpg gameplay loop. Sure, maybe the intended point is "this isn't 1977 (release date of first edition D&D, built on wargaming roots), we don't need these conventions to tell a story anymore." But that doesn't change that it's telling me "The reason you play games like this is wrong. RPGs are better off when they aren't designed for people like you." You know how there's always that stupid idea with shooters that, since the gameplay is violent, enjoying that gameplay makes you a bad person? To me, Undertale is the RPG equivalent of that.

Is this the price of being art? Losing what I enjoy out of it in the first place? I don't consider that a good deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)