Videogame thread

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Anyone like Paladins or Hollow Knight?
I played a lot of Paladins a few years ago. I had access to Overwatch, but Paladins ran a lot smoother on my older PC. I got into the meta and stuff, but the addition of a new hero every week made it hard to keep up with. I also hated the Viktor changes they made, and some of the characters added at the time just seemed stupid. If I'm ever looking to play and team based shooter, I just play Overwatch, haven't touched Paladins in a few years

Huge fan of Hollow Knight. Easily top 10 games of all time. I'm quite invested in the lore, and I can't wait for Silksong.

So I've been thinking of a kinda ridiculous hypothetical since earlier today. I just think it'd be an interesting discussion topic, so here I go.

I'm sure a lot of you know about how certain companies (namely Nintendo) have built a reputation for being really picky around fangames and hitting them with DMCAs. But what if they not only didn't do that, but went so far as to officially absorb these fangames?

Now, I know companies have worked with fans in the past, the most well-known example in recent memory being SEGA's hiring out of Christian Whitehead and friends to make Sonic Mania, as well as lots of Valve's library being built off mods. But what I'm thinking of goes beyond this. Going back to Nintendo, what do you think might've happened if rather than taking down games like Uranium and Prism they had instead paid their developers some sort of royalty fee to have those games put on the EShop, perhaps after some internal vetting to meet their polish standards? If something like this were to happen and succeed, what would the implications be for the industry at large?
I believe TPC did something similar like that- They hired an artist who posted art on Deviantart showcasing Pokemon if they really existed to help make the costumes for the Detective Pikachu Movie. Not video game, but fan art made professional nonethless.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Egg Guardian in Age of Calamity is ridiculously cute and I love how they give hom that stylized tapestry sprite. He's like a cyberpunk doggo. Do wish there was a third mission in the demo where you could play Zelda from the start.
I like that the game appears relatively non-linear, you can choose which path you want to go down first rather than being forced to acquire the champions in a specific order.
The maps appear to be completely to scale and therefore are just huge, which is great.

Want to see if I can actually get all the goodies before the full release on the 20th.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
is anyone else playing hades?? I bought it on switch a few months ago and can't put it down

Ratz Instagib

This is it. Despite never being mentioned in this thread (as far as i can tell), this is the best game of its type - the go really fast and instantly kill people type. And that type of game is very very fun. If you thought railguns were fun in Quake then this is the ideal game for you.

These are the 5 core tenets of this game:
1) your left click is hitscan and instakills other rats. infinite ammo short cooldown​
2) your right click sends out pulses which you can use the knockback from to send your little rat body flying across the map at ridiculous speeds​
3) bunny hopping (even though you are a rat not a bunny) exists and makes you go insanely fast​
4) the maps are normal human rooms. except you are a rat so everything is comparatively huge (which is a very entertaining and fun concept)​
5) you are a rat​

If you think that using your totally radical (ratical??) mountain dew guzzling carpal tunnel inducing pure gamer skill to fly around the map and click on other gamers is fun, then you need to purchase Ratz Instagib.

I will admit that the low of this game, when you go 0-15 in a match, is pretty bad. But the high of jumping off a humongous chair, flying halfway across the map in a quarter of a second, and instakilling three people is truly incredible.

Unfortunately this suffers the same problem as all old low player count shooters, which is that everyone who's playing now has been playing since release and is 100 times better than you. Makes it so that the lows are much much more frequent than the highs. The game is still fun though, and if it bothers you that much then 'git gud'.

Finally got my hands on Manifold Garden after its Steam release, spoiler-free review ahead.

I was expecting something along the lines of Antichamber, which is one of my favorite games ever, but I got a walking simulator with easy puzzles here and there instead. Now to be clear it's a brilliant walking simulator, but I thought I was going to get a puzzle-focused experience and was hit with a very heavy ambiance-focused experience instead.

The puzzles very often have their difficulty artificially inflated by obfuscating things. Ideally you never want the players to spend any time figuring out the "what", you want them to spend all their time figuring out the "how" - but there are many cases in this game where I spent more time figuring out where I needed to go and what I needed to do than actually doing it. If this game wasn't so outrageously pretty it would be a failure purely in terms of puzzling gameplay. There are many smaller, cheaper puzzle games that offer a much more satisfying experience strictly in terms of puzzling - Parallax comes to mind.

The game is amazing if you're not worried with the quality of the puzzles and just want to look at pretty geometry with some eureka moments sprinkled in, but it didn't really deliver on my expectations and it could have been so much more if it had better puzzle design. I expected a 9/10 game, but I only got a 7/10. I don't regret the purchase, I just hoped this game would be a bit more than what it is

Head banana of the Yiga Clan.

Also Sooga omg. This guy is absolutely insane.

Edit 1: I spoiler tagged it.
Edit 2: I misspelled something in the spoiler.
Edit 3: I made this edit log.

Oh hey I managed to find time to actually finish a video game !

Bucky O'Hare
System: NES
Release Year: 1992
Developer/Publisher: Konami
Genre: Action Platformer
Completion Notes: Beat Normal Mode, I'm not enough of a sadomasochist to play Hard Mode lmao

Based on a short-lived animated series adaptation of an eponymous comic (basically a TMNT wannabe), Bucky O'Hare was released pretty late into the NES's lifespan, and yet hilariously this hidden gem of an NES game seems to be more remembered than the TV show or comic it's based on. The game itself was directed and primarily designed by Masato Maegawa in his first ever game directorial role, and he would leave Konami very soon after this game's release to found the much-loved studio Treasure (a company I've talked about before, will talk about in this review, and will bring up plenty more times in the future :p). Not only that, but this game also has several staff members who would later join Maegawa at Treasure, most notably Hideki "NAMI" Suganami. Between all this, as well some trademark graphics effects (the way letter rotate and move around on the stage start and Game Over screens is pretty reminiscent of effects used in Treasure's Genesis titles) and design philosophies, I'm inclined to call this the game that really started the foundation of Treasure.

Just at a glance, Bucky O'Hare has all the marks of being a damn good NES game. Graphically, the game is fairly but good nonetheless, with plenty of big sprites on-screen at once and decent amounts of detail. Does the game look as eye-pleasing and well-animated as Kirby's Adventure, Gimmick, or Fire n Ice? Are the sprites as detailed at Metal Slader Glory? Are the backgrounds as impressive as the ones in Ninja Gaiden III? Well, the answer to all of these questions is, no, not really, but by keeping things simple, Bucky manages its main claim to fame: The performance. I can't recall experiencing any lag at all, and even sprite flickering is something I can barely remember. For an NES game with not only large sprites, but a large number of them on screen at any one time, this is utterly insane. Bucky O'Hare may not look like a technical marvel, but having played a good number of NES games, it sure as hell plays like one and might be one of the most gracefully aging NES games I've seen, to the point where it basically plays like a modern 8-bit indie game (we'll touch on this stuff later on actually). The OST is excellent, though it doesn't come as much of a shock since Konami's 90s NES games consistently had quality soundtracks. Every single level theme fits the stage well while remaining catchy and rocking and having those signature Konami DPCM drums, prime examples being Green Planet, Red Planet, and the super underrated Yellow Planet, though my favorite songs are the ones for the last two stages, Center of Magma Tanker and Escape.

Bucky O'Hare on the surface seems like a Mega Man clone: You run, you jump, you shoot, and you've got a special move that you can use when charging your weapon. You're given 4 stages to choose from at the start, and for each stage you clear you unlock a new character, whom you can switch between on the fly, with each character sharing the same health bar, but having different shot types and charge moves. Then once all 4 are unlocked, you'll go through 4 harder stages to finish off the game. In terms of the playable roster we have Bucky, who can shoot rapidly forward and upwards while having a high jump as a charge move. Next, there's Blinky, whose shot travels in a downwards arc, but is more powerful and can break certain blocks, plus Blinky has a hover for his charge move. Deadeye's shot is a slow three-way shot and can climb around walls for his charge shot. Jenny's charge shot is cumbersome to use, but is also the best at killing bosses when mastered, making her great for optimal play and possibly a forerunner for some similar design decisions Treasure would put in their games (i.e. Phoenix Force in Alien Soldier). Lastly, there's Willy, who is very much like Mega Man in that we can only shoot straight and can charge his shot, but the weapon itself is strong and very easy to use. Despite all these colorful descriptions, however, you'll probably find yourself sticking to Bucky for most of the game, and only later on will your other characters prove to be useful.

What makes Bucky O'Hare stand out from Mega Man, however, is the gameplay design. Classic Mega Man has very meticulous level design that often requires some careful consideration before you act on top of moderate speed and a slightly floaty jump. Bucky O'Hare is not only a bit more loose and a lot more nimble with its movement, leading to precise platforming and a faster-pace (both of which I like more!), but the actual level design feels like the developers just had a billion different level ideas and just decided to put in a bit of EVERYTHING. Levels don't really focus on just one or two ideas and build them up like Mega Man, they constantly jump around, with some screens expanding on previous ideas and some ideas only appearing briefly before getting dropped. Take Blue Planet for example, we start from a platforming screen that requires you to break ice blocks, then there's three screens of moving snakes (see below) that you need to carefully walk across while not dying, then a platforming screen introducing enemies that can dissolve platforms followed by an autoscroller screen on an ice floe the disintegrates, followed by a screen where you have to make enemies break the floor so you can descend to the ground level, followed by a platformer screen where you have avoid vertically moving crushers, followed by - do you see where I'm getting at here?? To be honest, I really like just how many different ideas the developers here are playing with, especially considering how bland the level design of some NES games (cough Ninja Gaiden) are. Plus, these ideas are generally well-executed, and I think Bucky O'Hare's play control and movement/physics are probably the best of any NES game I've played. The levels themselves are obviously quite meaty too: Despite only having 8 stages, Bucky is definitely not a short playthrough even when you've mastered it. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this level design is messy and unfocused, as not every screen is as polished as it should be. The reliance on using every possible idea also leads to stupid oversights like how you can't actually start the game with Blue Planet, you need to beat Green Planet and unlock Blinky before you can break those ice blocks. Not to mention, there are occasional duds in the level design, most notably the last screen of Yellow Planet (see above), which is a frustrating pseudo-autoscroller requiring you to repeatedly jump between fast moving "mine carts" or else you die instantly. It's probably the longest screen in the game and it boils down entirely to memorization and twitch reflexes.

Oh right, did I mention? Despite being based on a kid's cartoon, Bucky O'Hare is a SHOCKINGLY hard game. It seems innocent enough at first too, as Green Planet, the stage you'll probably start with, isn't all that bad, but the difficulty ramps up very quickly from there. There are a ton of different things that can kill you instantly in this game, and you will find yourself dying repeated times to many different screens in the game. At times it gets downright absurd, as some bosses or enemies will instantly kill you on contact, and some have attacks that are instant kill. Incidentally, a lot of enemies will do pittance to your life bar, letting you brute through the cannon fodder, though you still need to watch out for repeated hits or enemies that deal significantly more damage, and obviously the bosses will still kill you very quickly. There is a silver lining to all this though: Bucky O'Hare is one the most forgiving games on the NES. Not only are there password saves for every single stage (including the last 4, take that Mega Man!), but every screen in the game counts as a checkpoint. Game Overs will reset you at your last checkpoint, the only thing you end up losing are your life upgrades, which does suck for boss fights (and is especially painful for the brutal first part of the game's final boss), but it's still really refreshing to play an NES game that doesn't make you play everything you've already mastered repeatedly just to take a crack at the part you're stuck on. The brutal difficulty but forgiving design kinda reminds me of a modern indie game: I humorously think that this game could pass off as one if you just gave it a synthwave soundtrack, flashier sound effects, and included a "Press A to Restart" every time you died. Anyways, this forgiveness does make the often comical difficulty a bit easier to swallow and fun even. Yeah, that boss at the end of Magma Tanker was utterly insane, but I can't really think of any NES boss anywhere near as dynamic and exhilarating. But again, it still sometimes feels like this game goes way overboard, and the developers seem to use this as an excuse to make challenges that require prior knowledge in order to not die instantly. Honestly, if Ninja Gaiden had similar quality-of-life features, I'd definitely call Bucky O'Hare the harder game, so even though Bucky has these nice features, I hesitate to recommend this game to more modern gamers trying to get their feet wet with old-school games.

(if you're wondering, yes, these spike balls will kill you instantly if you touch them and don't shoot your way through them)

The scariest part of the game's difficulty is that there's actually a Hard Mode hidden in the game, where the main difference is that EVERY hit kills you instantly, turning those sections where you could brute force your way through into the stuff of nightmares. While it doesn't appear on the title screen, it's accessible by typing in the password "HARD!". And no, you won't get any valid passwords while playing Hard Mode, so you have to play it all in one go, making it a bit less appealing to play through for me. Granted, this mode was originally meant to be an anti-piracy protection, so it's probably not intended to be balanced in the slightest, although Treasure is a developer that expects some players to master their game, so who knows. Still, the fact that some people SPEEDRUN the game on this mode, albeit still dying numerous times, is both amazing but also just plain terrifying.

I've always found it to be kinda annoying that NES games are often rated more based on their impact than their raw quality, when the reality is that not only do a lot of games not hold up by modern standards, but many of the best NES games came out in the 90s when no one was really paying attention to the console (and some were, worse yet, Japan-exclusive). I do truly believe Bucky O'Hare is one of the very best games on the NES just because of how solid the game is across the board, though I always hesitate to call any NES game truly great simply due to their limitations. Bucky honestly came close to showing me just how versatile you could make an NES game (and at a third of the size of Kirby's Adventure at that), but it still has a few legitimate issues with its difficulty balancing and scattershot level design. Still, I would recommend checking it out, it's just a shame this game based on an obscure license, so it's probably never getting a re-release, and even before COVID physical carts went for around $80-100 online. So maybe go emulate it if you're interested in playing...just be prepared for a wild ride. Less experienced gamers should play some Mega Man games first.

Mid to High 7 / 10 (Legit Good)

Re: Age of Calamity

I like Breath of the Wild, but I'm not sure this game is for me. Especially at its asking price. I've heard lots of people criticize its genre (seemingly rightfully so) and I know the Warriors series is quite cynical in its DLC practices. I played the demo, but more thought, "This is a thing", it not really impressing me or vice versa. And the game really does not seem like $60. More like $40 max. It is not on the same level of BotW. Like, barely, if at all, close. Maybe I'll get AoC some year, when I can find a copy for like $20 or less. For now, it's not really seeming "for me".

Guess I have to wait and hope BotW 2 will be good, which I'm doubting. Or at least, I doubt it'll be as good as the first one. I don't consider myself a Zelda fan, as BotW was the only I've played a lot, and as I understand it, it's quite different from most of the rest of the series. Merely consider myself a BotW fan as such.

Re: Age of Calamity

I like Breath of the Wild, but I'm not sure this game is for me. Especially at its asking price. I've heard lots of people criticize its genre (seemingly rightfully so) and I know the Warriors series is quite cynical in its DLC practices. I played the demo, but more thought, "This is a thing", it not really impressing me or vice versa. And the game really does not seem like $60. More like $40 max. It is not on the same level of BotW. Like, barely, if at all, close. Maybe I'll get AoC some year, when I can find a copy for like $20 or less. For now, it's not really seeming "for me".

Guess I have to wait and hope BotW 2 will be good, which I'm doubting. Or at least, I doubt it'll be as good as the first one. I don't consider myself a Zelda fan, as BotW was the only I've played a lot, and as I understand it, it's quite different from most of the rest of the series. Merely consider myself a BotW fan as such.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the series, but from what I've played through so far, Age of Calamity is really fun! It's a lot more story based than BoTW, but I honestly like it a lot. The battles are a lot different, but in all honesty, I've actually liked Age of Calamity more than BoTW, but that's probably because I'm a total sucker for a good story in a video game.

Also yeah, I wish BoTW 2 is going to be fun, but I'm not sure if it's going to stand up to the hype that it's getting.

Late on posting this here by a few days but TWEWY SEQUEL WOOOO :D

The World Ends With You (the DS version at least) is my favorite game of all-time aside from the Hoenn Pokemon games, and it's one that I've been dying to have a follow-up to. I'm personally really glad that they seem to be using a (mostly) different cast of characters this time rather than a true story continuation since I feel like the first game's story ended quite nicely, but TWEWY's sense of style/metropolis theming, unique soundtrack, and compelling gameplay design are something I've really wanted to see more of. I know the battle system this time around is completely different, but, as much as I love the DS gameplay, to me what TWEWY is all about is creating a battle system that is unique, fleshed-out/nuanced, exhilarating, and makes the most of a game console's capabilities. If this sequel's gameplay can do that, we're golden, although the fact that this is not a Switch exclusive makes that last point a little questionable for me.

The first sequel teaser was in TWEWY's mobile port 8 years ago (before I even played the DS version myself), the first leaks I saw suggesting a sequel was in production were over 3 years ago, it's been 2 years since TWEWY's Switch port, and several months since the announcement of the anime adaptation. Needless to say, this sequel's been a long time coming. Anyone else here excited for this?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the series, but from what I've played through so far, Age of Calamity is really fun! It's a lot more story based than BoTW, but I honestly like it a lot. The battles are a lot different, but in all honesty, I've actually liked Age of Calamity more than BoTW, but that's probably because I'm a total sucker for a good story in a video game.

Also yeah, I wish BoTW 2 is going to be fun, but I'm not sure if it's going to stand up to the hype that it's getting.
Even if people like you find it fun, it's still not helping the case of me finding it too expensive for my tastes and for what I'm getting out of it. :( Just got to wait it out here.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even if people like you find it fun, it's still not helping the case of me finding it too expensive for my tastes and for what I'm getting out of it. :( Just got to wait it out here.
Unfortunately, 60 bucks is the going rate for a first party A1 Switch title, and the likelihood you'll ever find it on sale is incredibly low.

Personally I'm finding it quite enjoyable as mash up of BotW and Warriors mechanics. They chose a really solid foundation to build upon for a Warriors installment and their presentation is excellent. It's worth the 60 bucks.

Celticpride

Dance Like Nobody's Watching
is a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, 60 bucks is the going rate for a first party A1 Switch title, and the likelihood you'll ever find it on sale is incredibly low.

Personally I'm finding it quite enjoyable as mash up of BotW and Warriors mechanics. They chose a really solid foundation to build upon for a Warriors installment and their presentation is excellent. It's worth the 60 bucks.
Funny you mention sales, nintendo is having a sale on older nintendo titles until 12/2:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

I can’t remember if this happened last year or not. I believe this sale has trickled down to Best Buy, Gamestop etc

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Past SPL Champion
Me with Overwatch. It's a multiplayer shooter. Every MP shooter in existence sells for, like, $20 max even before discount prices. Some are free! Overwatch released and it's... $40 on PC if you even realize the unadvertised "standard" edition exists, otherwise $60 including on console. For a MP shooter! How daft of Blizzard! I don't give a shit how high-quality the presentation or even the gameplay is, there's just not enough meat on these bones to sell it for full AAA game price. It's laughable! It took almost four years before they halved the base price (Jan 2019) and IIRC you still can't even buy the "standard" edition on consoles, so that means it's still $30 there. It's a shame because it's a fun enough game, but the asking price is just too high.

Same with PUBG, which rolled in a couple years later with a bare-ass arena shooter of sorts for $30. No thanks, y'all, I'll stick with Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 for those prices, or if I'm paying up I believe console-first shooters like CoD and whatnot still have campaign modes that actually offer added value for your money spent.

Plague von Karma

Diolch am eich amser!
is a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher
I'd say wait a couple months and buy a preowned physical copy if you (rightfully imo) think it's too expensive. New game prices drop off a cliff around that time and don't rise back up for a few years.

I've been in the hunt for PS5 since it's release. Not sure what it's like if you're outside of NA but I've heard Canada also has it pretty bad too. I've taken about a dozen Ls now including driving 45 min to two separate stores in addition to the one in my hometown all turning me away. Oh well. Hopefully I'll score big on Monday.

This is my first venture into the Playstation universe. I have a good idea of the PS5 exclusive games I'll be picking up, but all I really know I want from PS4's library is Spider-Man and Persona 5. If anyone has any recs that I could snag on or before Monday for cheap lmk!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)