Videogame thread

Snessy!

I COULD BE BANNED!
Finished Yo-kai watch 4 recently, amazing game. The battle system is fun, the dungeons are some of the best parts of the game (though there are only around 5 and some are pretty short), the game looks great, the side modes are fun, and even the quests are fun and worth doing. I've heard the story is good too, but I don't speak Japanese. The only problems I have are that the postgame can be really grindy, and that the framerate on the switch version isn't that great. Other than that, nothing. It's really sad that this sold so horribly. Level-5 should make the next Pokemon game, it would be the best the franchise has seen in years.

Yo-kai watch 3 is still better though

Amaranth

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Finished Yo-kai watch 4 recently, amazing game. The battle system is fun, the dungeons are some of the best parts of the game (though there are only around 5 and some are pretty short), the game looks great, the side modes are fun, and even the quests are fun and worth doing. I've heard the story is good too, but I don't speak Japanese. The only problems I have are that the postgame can be really grindy, and that the framerate on the switch version isn't that great. Other than that, nothing. It's really sad that this sold so horribly. Level-5 should make the next Pokemon game, it would be the best the franchise has seen in years.

Yo-kai watch 3 is still better though
Yooo I used to love Level-5 RPGs like Inazuma Eleven as a kid, really sick games. I got my hands on Yo-kai Watch 1 and it was cute too, is the rest of the series worth my time? Does it ever get really challenging? I think my main gripe with both the Inazuma Eleven games and Yo-kai Watch 1 is that you could put in a shitload of effort to get a sick team but there's never really anything to reward you for it in-game, if those games had multiplayer pvp stuff for example I'd probably drop a happy couple hundred hours on them lmao

Snessy!

I COULD BE BANNED!
Yooo I used to love Level-5 RPGs like Inazuma Eleven as a kid, really sick games. I got my hands on Yo-kai Watch 1 and it was cute too, is the rest of the series worth my time? Does it ever get really challenging? I think my main gripe with both the Inazuma Eleven games and Yo-kai Watch 1 is that you could put in a shitload of effort to get a sick team but there's never really anything to reward you for it in-game, if those games had multiplayer pvp stuff for example I'd probably drop a happy couple hundred hours on them lmao
Yo-kai Watch 2 is definitely the hardest in the series. At the end of the game there's a difficulty spike that basically requires you to grind in previous chapters if you don't want a softlock. The postgame has 2 bosses that are absolutely brutal as well. The easiest game in the series is the 3rd game because of the reworked battle system, but that game has one of the best postgames I've seen ever. There's also an online/local multiplayer mode that you can unlock REALLY early that's super fun, but makes the main story even easier with the rewards you get from it. Both games have online vs matches (you can still find people playing online in 2 for some reason), and the people who still play them are oddly competitive. It's really hard to win without preparing a perfect team beforehand.

Amaranth

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Yo-kai Watch 2 is definitely the hardest in the series. At the end of the game there's a difficulty spike that basically requires you to grind in previous chapters if you don't want a softlock. The postgame has 2 bosses that are absolutely brutal as well. The easiest game in the series is the 3rd game because of the reworked battle system, but that game has one of the best postgames I've seen ever. There's also an online/local multiplayer mode that you can unlock REALLY early that's super fun, but makes the main story even easier with the rewards you get from it. Both games have online vs matches (you can still find people playing online in 2 for some reason), and the people who still play them are oddly competitive. It's really hard to win without preparing a perfect team beforehand.
Oh my that's fantastic, will probably check them out then. Thanks a lot

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1027120/Bravery_Network_Online/

I kinda feel like people here should know about bravery network, since it's heavily based on competitive pokemon. I played a demo/beta/whatever of it a while back, and it's very good.

Some things I remember about it:
- gets rid of pretty much all RNG
- "type chart" simplified a LOT
- but lots of interesting status effects and things like that which are like... actually designed for competitive play? so I think that makes up for some of the lost complexity in the type chart.
- there's also like a meter mechanic and some other stuff.

i want to get back into it but haven't had much time, but competitive pokemon heads should definitely check it out.

GatoDelFuego

Fly away on venga airways
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems as though the great unpinning has been damaging to this thread.

Just gonna say it: everybody on this website should probably pick up new pokemon snap. It's a pokemon spin off game, which means it's not made by Game Freak, which means it is automatically good. I have had some long discussions with people over the last several months about the quality of pokemon games and (what I feel to be a ) deterioration in game design with the main series, but pokemon snap completely solves this by having a (fun!!) gameplay gimmick that just happens to live in the pokemon world. The amount of wonder that this brings is amazing. So many times I have started a course and gone "wow! Luxray!" or "wow! sharpedo is in the game!" or "wow! Drampa is here!". I've never felt this way in the main series, where I meticulously plan the team to include a handful of favorites that I already know exist.

It's got more content than the original, tons of QOL fixes, great visuals, it's got everything. There's about 12 courses in the game, plus a few one-off "boss" stages. The original only had six (plus mew), so it's already a step up. These courses are longer, have about double the pokemon count from the original, have branching paths, and have much more pokemon that can be triggered to do something interesting. AND, each course has at least 3 "levels" that switch up the events that occur and which pokemon show up, AND most stages have a day/night flip, so there's enough content here to satisfy. If you know what you're doing, the original stages can all be cleared in under an hour (a speedrun is 20 minutes lmao). I spent three hours on the first stage (repeating different levels and day/night, of course).

The grading system is revamped to include 1-4 "star" system, where star is the rarity of what the pokemon is doing. Each pokemon can only have one picture accross the game, but this is one for each star. So in the original your best pikachu pic would be the surfboard, but then what about pokeflute electric pikachu and all the other pikachu in the rest of the game? This time, that isn't a problem, since every state a pokemon is in is sorted automatically into 1-4 levels of rarity and then graded from there. Basically, there are more opportunities to get good pictures for every pokemon in the game (200+).

Seriously, if you're a pokemon fan (and everybody on this site is), you should get this game. There is so much love shown to the franchise here.

Last edited:

Amaranth

Seems as though the great unpinning has been damaging to this thread.

Just gonna say it: everybody on this website should probably pick up new pokemon snap. It's a pokemon spin off game, which means it's not made by Game Freak, which means it is automatically good. I have had some long discussions with people over the last several months about the quality of pokemon games and (what I feel to be a ) deterioration in game design with the main series, but pokemon snap completely solves this by having a (fun!!) gameplay gimmick that just happens to live in the pokemon world. The amount of wonder that this brings is amazing. So many times I have started a course and gone "wow! Luxray!" or "wow! sharpedo is in the game!" or "wow! Drampa is here!". I've never felt this way in the main series, where I meticulously plan the team to include a handful of favorites that I already know exist.

It's got more content than the original, tons of QOL fixes, great visuals, it's got everything. There's about 12 courses in the game, plus a few one-off "boss" stages. The original only had six (plus mew), so it's already a step up. These courses are longer, have about double the pokemon count from the original, have branching paths, and have much more pokemon that can be triggered to do something interesting. AND, each course has at least 3 "levels" that switch up the events that occur and which pokemon show up, AND most stages have a day/night flip, so there's enough content here to satisfy. If you know what you're doing, the original stages can all be cleared in under an hour (a speedrun is 20 minutes lmao). I spent three hours on the first stage (repeating different levels and day/night, of course).

The grading system is revamped to include 1-4 "star" system, where star is the rarity of what the pokemon is doing. Each pokemon can only have one picture accross the game, but this is one for each star. So in the original your best pikachu pic would be the surfboard, but then what about pokeflute electric pikachu and all the other pikachu in the rest of the game? This time, that isn't a problem, since every state a pokemon is in is sorted automatically into 1-4 levels of rarity and then graded from there. Basically, there are more opportunities to get good pictures for every pokemon in the game (200+).

Seriously, if you're a pokemon fan (and everybody on this site is), you should get this game. There is so much love shown to the franchise here.
Can confirm, I'm a massive fan of the original and I was really worried that a sequel wouldn't have the same soul, but it turns out it had all that and more. Phenomenal game

Theorymon

I'M THUNDER IN A CAN
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly the only big issue I have with New Pokemon Snap is that it can be a real grind, though thats largely due to the massively expanded amount of content it has compared to the OG game.

Otherwise, I whole heartedly agree: it's easily a contender for the best Pokemon Spinoff, and is probably the best Pokemon game we've gotten in like, at least half a decade or so, if not more!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
and is probably the best Pokemon game we've gotten in like, at least half a decade or so, if not more!
Sun and Moon was released in 2016 so... I'll let you off on that one

Just so this isnt a one-liner: My wishlist is looking saucy after a barren 2020. New Snap, Crash 4 Switch port, BDSP/Legends and Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga... yum

idk if this is the right thread, but I'm trying to get back into some games, is there anything rn that's really huge (apart from genshin and valorant) feel like games (especially console ones) aren't that big right now and there isn't as much interest compared to before

Plague von Karma

חשוב להתאמן.
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
So I've been getting reproduction boxes for my cartridge-only retro games for a while now and I thought I'd share some pictures and info. I've been using GoBoxIt on Etsy to get them. They do boxes for all kinds of consoles, even Virtual Boy stuff! The quality is just astounding, I'd argue it's better (and maybe even cheaper price-wise) than buying CiB games that use cardboard. This is miles better than just shoving all these in little game cases, I can actually display my games that I previously couldn't. Hell, I don't really have to worry about sun bleaching or other environmental damage when I know these are just replicas.

Most recently, I ordered some boxes for my Gen 1-2 Pokemon games as part of my long-term quest to get all my cart-only games into boxes. It cost me quite a bit due to the amount and me asking for inserts, but it was absolutely worth it. I couldn't have asked for anything better. They certainly look good on my shelf now, should have done this years ago. It's a bit crowded now with the massive amount of new boxes though, so maybe I should try to score a bigger shelf...
jay peg.jpg
20210504_143510.jpg

I'm particularly happy with Pokemon Crystal since I actually had a manual for this laying around. Having it somewhere that isn't in a drawer is just a load off my mind with how hard-to-get these are becoming. I also have to applaud the attention to detail with the Japanese games where they used plastic inserts; compare with my authentic JP Gold here.
jay peg 3.jpg
jay peg 4.jpg

Overall, this shop has become my new favourite place for restoration stuff and I don't see that changing down the line. If anyone has any old games they want to stow away in something more flashy, I strongly recommend looking into reproduction boxes. I especially recommend this to collectors of the ol' cardboard stuff.

Last edited:

chimp

Link Together With All
So I've been getting reproduction boxes for my cartridge-only retro games for a while now and I thought I'd share some pictures and info. I've been using GoBoxIt on Etsy to get them. They do boxes for all kinds of consoles, even Virtual Boy stuff! The quality is just astounding, I'd argue it's better (and maybe even cheaper price-wise) than buying CiB games that use cardboard. This is miles better than just shoving all these in little game cases, I can actually display my games that I previously couldn't. Hell, I don't really have to worry about sun bleaching or other environmental damage when I know these are just replicas.

Most recently, I ordered some boxes for my Gen 1-2 Pokemon games as part of my long-term quest to get all my cart-only games into boxes. It cost me quite a bit due to the amount and me asking for inserts, but it was absolutely worth it. I couldn't have asked for anything better. They certainly look good on my shelf now, should have done this years ago. It's a bit crowded now with the massive amount of new boxes though, so maybe I should try to score a bigger shelf...
I'm particularly happy with Pokemon Crystal since I actually had a manual for this laying around. Having it somewhere that isn't in a drawer is just a load off my mind with how hard-to-get these are becoming. I also have to applaud the attention to detail with the Japanese games where they used plastic inserts; compare with my authentic JP Gold here.

Overall, this shop has become my new favourite place for restoration stuff and I don't see that changing down the line. If anyone has any old games they want to stow away in something more flashy, I strongly recommend looking into reproduction boxes. I especially recommend this to collectors of the ol' cardboard stuff.
This reminds me, it's a bit off topic, but, do you know the best place to get old Pokemon toys? Not necessarily figurines, but little plastic toys. I bought around 100 1-inch bootlegs figs, but I'm looking for something official and a tad bigger. eBay? Etsy?

Plague von Karma

חשוב להתאמן.
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
This reminds me, it's a bit off topic, but, do you know the best place to get old Pokemon toys? Not necessarily figurines, but little plastic toys. I bought around 100 1-inch bootlegs figs, but I'm looking for something official and a tad bigger. eBay? Etsy?
Not too educated on this sorta stuff, but I've found eBay to be a good place. I've managed to get boxed old wind-up Pokemon toys from Japan in the past, and that's the least of what you can find out there. There's prolly other places, but I don't personally know of them. A quick Google search brought up this place too, if it helps.

started playing resident evil village today (the games still not fully downloaded on the ps4 so i cant play for now, i also havent seen any walkthrough video so abstain from spoilers if someone answer this), chris killed my wife with like 10000 shots he also kidnapped my baby and i end up in a town full of monsters, theres a creepy old lady (idk her name) who talks about my baby. I had like 6 bullets and 120391203483924128030 enemies around so i had to run a lot when i was most likely going to die the enemies stopped attacking me because something called them back... I died doing this 2 times, this reminds me a lot of the village in RE4 where you had to kill 15 enemies to survive, this time i didnt had enough ammo to deal with them so maybe i was supossed to stay alive for x amount of time or i had to get to an exact place to survive. I got 2 medallions and placed them in to a gate wich leads in to the dimistrescu (or whathever the name is) castle where i was somehow more fucked up than i initially was, i met there some particular enemies it also looks like the whole place is managed by this mother something. Then instead of killing me there they released me and make me run for my life because thats more fun i survived enemies and traps and thats where i end up my gameplay
for now the game haves a lot of similarities with RE4 wich was of course a masterpiece of action+horror with the difference of the camera view and all the uncertainty around the history
why chris killed my wife and also kidnapped my baby girl rose?
how i end up on this village?
it also looks that rose is on this village?
what happened to chris?
i didnt play RE7 but it looks liek ethan tried to move on from what happened in RE7 his wife was kinda creepy/weird af so i didnt really care about her death, ethan also looks kinda traumatized or someshit like that maybe its all an hallucination in his head lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)