Media Videogame thread

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1027120/Bravery_Network_Online/

I kinda feel like people here should know about bravery network, since it's heavily based on competitive pokemon. I played a demo/beta/whatever of it a while back, and it's very good.

Some things I remember about it:
- gets rid of pretty much all RNG
- "type chart" simplified a LOT
- but lots of interesting status effects and things like that which are like... actually designed for competitive play? so I think that makes up for some of the lost complexity in the type chart.
- there's also like a meter mechanic and some other stuff.

i want to get back into it but haven't had much time, but competitive pokemon heads should definitely check it out.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems as though the great unpinning has been damaging to this thread.

Just gonna say it: everybody on this website should probably pick up new pokemon snap. It's a pokemon spin off game, which means it's not made by Game Freak, which means it is automatically good. I have had some long discussions with people over the last several months about the quality of pokemon games and (what I feel to be a ) deterioration in game design with the main series, but pokemon snap completely solves this by having a (fun!!) gameplay gimmick that just happens to live in the pokemon world. The amount of wonder that this brings is amazing. So many times I have started a course and gone "wow! Luxray!" or "wow! sharpedo is in the game!" or "wow! Drampa is here!". I've never felt this way in the main series, where I meticulously plan the team to include a handful of favorites that I already know exist.

It's got more content than the original, tons of QOL fixes, great visuals, it's got everything. There's about 12 courses in the game, plus a few one-off "boss" stages. The original only had six (plus mew), so it's already a step up. These courses are longer, have about double the pokemon count from the original, have branching paths, and have much more pokemon that can be triggered to do something interesting. AND, each course has at least 3 "levels" that switch up the events that occur and which pokemon show up, AND most stages have a day/night flip, so there's enough content here to satisfy. If you know what you're doing, the original stages can all be cleared in under an hour (a speedrun is 20 minutes lmao). I spent three hours on the first stage (repeating different levels and day/night, of course).

The grading system is revamped to include 1-4 "star" system, where star is the rarity of what the pokemon is doing. Each pokemon can only have one picture accross the game, but this is one for each star. So in the original your best pikachu pic would be the surfboard, but then what about pokeflute electric pikachu and all the other pikachu in the rest of the game? This time, that isn't a problem, since every state a pokemon is in is sorted automatically into 1-4 levels of rarity and then graded from there. Basically, there are more opportunities to get good pictures for every pokemon in the game (200+).

Seriously, if you're a pokemon fan (and everybody on this site is), you should get this game. There is so much love shown to the franchise here.

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Seems as though the great unpinning has been damaging to this thread.

Just gonna say it: everybody on this website should probably pick up new pokemon snap. It's a pokemon spin off game, which means it's not made by Game Freak, which means it is automatically good. I have had some long discussions with people over the last several months about the quality of pokemon games and (what I feel to be a ) deterioration in game design with the main series, but pokemon snap completely solves this by having a (fun!!) gameplay gimmick that just happens to live in the pokemon world. The amount of wonder that this brings is amazing. So many times I have started a course and gone "wow! Luxray!" or "wow! sharpedo is in the game!" or "wow! Drampa is here!". I've never felt this way in the main series, where I meticulously plan the team to include a handful of favorites that I already know exist.

It's got more content than the original, tons of QOL fixes, great visuals, it's got everything. There's about 12 courses in the game, plus a few one-off "boss" stages. The original only had six (plus mew), so it's already a step up. These courses are longer, have about double the pokemon count from the original, have branching paths, and have much more pokemon that can be triggered to do something interesting. AND, each course has at least 3 "levels" that switch up the events that occur and which pokemon show up, AND most stages have a day/night flip, so there's enough content here to satisfy. If you know what you're doing, the original stages can all be cleared in under an hour (a speedrun is 20 minutes lmao). I spent three hours on the first stage (repeating different levels and day/night, of course).

The grading system is revamped to include 1-4 "star" system, where star is the rarity of what the pokemon is doing. Each pokemon can only have one picture accross the game, but this is one for each star. So in the original your best pikachu pic would be the surfboard, but then what about pokeflute electric pikachu and all the other pikachu in the rest of the game? This time, that isn't a problem, since every state a pokemon is in is sorted automatically into 1-4 levels of rarity and then graded from there. Basically, there are more opportunities to get good pictures for every pokemon in the game (200+).

Seriously, if you're a pokemon fan (and everybody on this site is), you should get this game. There is so much love shown to the franchise here.
Can confirm, I'm a massive fan of the original and I was really worried that a sequel wouldn't have the same soul, but it turns out it had all that and more. Phenomenal game

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly the only big issue I have with New Pokemon Snap is that it can be a real grind, though thats largely due to the massively expanded amount of content it has compared to the OG game.

Otherwise, I whole heartedly agree: it's easily a contender for the best Pokemon Spinoff, and is probably the best Pokemon game we've gotten in like, at least half a decade or so, if not more!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
and is probably the best Pokemon game we've gotten in like, at least half a decade or so, if not more!
Sun and Moon was released in 2016 so... I'll let you off on that one

Just so this isnt a one-liner: My wishlist is looking saucy after a barren 2020. New Snap, Crash 4 Switch port, BDSP/Legends and Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga... yum

idk if this is the right thread, but I'm trying to get back into some games, is there anything rn that's really huge (apart from genshin and valorant) feel like games (especially console ones) aren't that big right now and there isn't as much interest compared to before

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
So I've been getting reproduction boxes for my cartridge-only retro games for a while now and I thought I'd share some pictures and info. I've been using GoBoxIt on Etsy to get them. They do boxes for all kinds of consoles, even Virtual Boy stuff! The quality is just astounding, I'd argue it's better (and maybe even cheaper price-wise) than buying CiB games that use cardboard. This is miles better than just shoving all these in little game cases, I can actually display my games that I previously couldn't. Hell, I don't really have to worry about sun bleaching or other environmental damage when I know these are just replicas.

Most recently, I ordered some boxes for my Gen 1-2 Pokemon games as part of my long-term quest to get all my cart-only games into boxes. It cost me quite a bit due to the amount and me asking for inserts, but it was absolutely worth it. I couldn't have asked for anything better. They certainly look good on my shelf now, should have done this years ago. It's a bit crowded now with the massive amount of new boxes though, so maybe I should try to score a bigger shelf...
jay peg.jpg
20210504_143510.jpg

I'm particularly happy with Pokemon Crystal since I actually had a manual for this laying around. Having it somewhere that isn't in a drawer is just a load off my mind with how hard-to-get these are becoming. I also have to applaud the attention to detail with the Japanese games where they used plastic inserts; compare with my authentic JP Gold here.
jay peg 3.jpg
jay peg 4.jpg

Overall, this shop has become my new favourite place for restoration stuff and I don't see that changing down the line. If anyone has any old games they want to stow away in something more flashy, I strongly recommend looking into reproduction boxes. I especially recommend this to collectors of the ol' cardboard stuff.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So I've been getting reproduction boxes for my cartridge-only retro games for a while now and I thought I'd share some pictures and info. I've been using GoBoxIt on Etsy to get them. They do boxes for all kinds of consoles, even Virtual Boy stuff! The quality is just astounding, I'd argue it's better (and maybe even cheaper price-wise) than buying CiB games that use cardboard. This is miles better than just shoving all these in little game cases, I can actually display my games that I previously couldn't. Hell, I don't really have to worry about sun bleaching or other environmental damage when I know these are just replicas.

Most recently, I ordered some boxes for my Gen 1-2 Pokemon games as part of my long-term quest to get all my cart-only games into boxes. It cost me quite a bit due to the amount and me asking for inserts, but it was absolutely worth it. I couldn't have asked for anything better. They certainly look good on my shelf now, should have done this years ago. It's a bit crowded now with the massive amount of new boxes though, so maybe I should try to score a bigger shelf...
I'm particularly happy with Pokemon Crystal since I actually had a manual for this laying around. Having it somewhere that isn't in a drawer is just a load off my mind with how hard-to-get these are becoming. I also have to applaud the attention to detail with the Japanese games where they used plastic inserts; compare with my authentic JP Gold here.

Overall, this shop has become my new favourite place for restoration stuff and I don't see that changing down the line. If anyone has any old games they want to stow away in something more flashy, I strongly recommend looking into reproduction boxes. I especially recommend this to collectors of the ol' cardboard stuff.
This reminds me, it's a bit off topic, but, do you know the best place to get old Pokemon toys? Not necessarily figurines, but little plastic toys. I bought around 100 1-inch bootlegs figs, but I'm looking for something official and a tad bigger. eBay? Etsy?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This reminds me, it's a bit off topic, but, do you know the best place to get old Pokemon toys? Not necessarily figurines, but little plastic toys. I bought around 100 1-inch bootlegs figs, but I'm looking for something official and a tad bigger. eBay? Etsy?
Not too educated on this sorta stuff, but I've found eBay to be a good place. I've managed to get boxed old wind-up Pokemon toys from Japan in the past, and that's the least of what you can find out there. There's prolly other places, but I don't personally know of them. A quick Google search brought up this place too, if it helps.

TC

Banned deucer.
started playing resident evil village today (the games still not fully downloaded on the ps4 so i cant play for now, i also havent seen any walkthrough video so abstain from spoilers if someone answer this), chris killed my wife with like 10000 shots he also kidnapped my baby and i end up in a town full of monsters, theres a creepy old lady (idk her name) who talks about my baby. I had like 6 bullets and 120391203483924128030 enemies around so i had to run a lot when i was most likely going to die the enemies stopped attacking me because something called them back... I died doing this 2 times, this reminds me a lot of the village in RE4 where you had to kill 15 enemies to survive, this time i didnt had enough ammo to deal with them so maybe i was supossed to stay alive for x amount of time or i had to get to an exact place to survive. I got 2 medallions and placed them in to a gate wich leads in to the dimistrescu (or whathever the name is) castle where i was somehow more fucked up than i initially was, i met there some particular enemies it also looks like the whole place is managed by this mother something. Then instead of killing me there they released me and make me run for my life because thats more fun i survived enemies and traps and thats where i end up my gameplay
for now the game haves a lot of similarities with RE4 wich was of course a masterpiece of action+horror with the difference of the camera view and all the uncertainty around the history
why chris killed my wife and also kidnapped my baby girl rose?
how i end up on this village?
it also looks that rose is on this village?
what happened to chris?
i didnt play RE7 but it looks liek ethan tried to move on from what happened in RE7 his wife was kinda creepy/weird af so i didnt really care about her death, ethan also looks kinda traumatized or someshit like that maybe its all an hallucination in his head lmao

Monster hunter stories is so much fun. What a blast to play. Stealing eggs, getting items, managing armor, and monsties. Despite being an RPG and needing some grinding, it still manages to be really fun. I love completing the subquests.

My favorite monstie is Zamtrios. I haven't finished the game yet, but it's such a resistant monster with good skills.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bought a bunch of stuff for my birthday a month ago. Now that im finally back home ive gotten a chance to gaze at my spoils :D

PXL_20210518_225409239.jpg

GBA game is Sonic Advance 3. I also bought Ninja Saviors on Switch but Amazon keeps delaying their physical copies grrrrrrr

Am super stoked I finally got Contact though! Been trying to grab this game for a few years now. Funny thing is I swiped a Buy it Now for $30, and then immediately after I did the Great Price Spike of March 2021 happened, so the latest auction for this game (earlier this month) ended at over $70 lol, though with COVID restrictions easing up i expect game prices to slowly get back to normal

Unfortunately, I've realized there are many games coming out this year (and Ring Fit) that I also want to buy aaaaaaa

Also bought an artbook by Yasushi Suzuki that contains work he did for sci-fi media. It's got some work he did for Zone of the Enders and Xenoblade Chronicles X, though more importantly for me, he was the lead artist behind Ikaruga and, one of my now all-time favs, Sin and Punishment Star Successor :)

PXL_20210518_230842297.jpg

PXL_20210518_230928685.jpg

Considering that this is the closest thing to "official merch" for Star Successor I'm super happy to have this. It also comes with a bonus CD with more stuff, so I'm pretty excited to see what its got (Star Successor info is annoying to find on the English-speaking web)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Currently playing Ori and the will o wisps and am in looooooove. Got it on sale for the switch, could not be happier.

I'm surprised I like it so much since I've never really been able to get into metroidvanias like hollow knight (although I may go back and try that again), but this one plays closer to a zelda game? Anyway, am not even halfway through and the visuals, gameplay, and story have me hooked.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Woooo I finished Zone of the Enders, been a bit since I've cleared a game. It was pretty good! Time to write a lot about a game for no reason, though I'll try to keep it shorter this time

1622340817878.png
1622340546101.png

Zone of the Enders
Developer/Publisher: Konami
System: PS2 (I am personally playing the PS3 HD Collection port)
Release Year: 2001
Genre: 3D Action Beat 'em Up / Mecha

Zone of the Enders is best known because people only bought to play the MGS2 demo, and because it's a "Hideo Kojima Game", even though Kojima mainly served as a producer. As a result, the story isn't anything super complicated; I'll spare you a plot synopsis but you can pretty quickly that it is...subtly inspired by Evangelion, with some classic AI tropes in there too (ala Terminator 2, Metroid Fusion, etc. Maybe ZoE is a bit original in this regard but the ideas definitely feel familiar). I am surprised to hear that the localization was considering one of the game's biggest problems. Don't get me wrong, the voice acting isn't good, especially given the poor cutscene lip sync (and there's no option to use Japanese audio as far as I can tell) but it certainly isn't bad. The voices match the characters well enough, though some of the delivery isn't as natural as it should be. But I think the story still works; it really comes down to the game's small scale and characters. The game isn't about a hero and the plot isn't really about saving the world (though you do end up doing that I guess), it's just carrying out a simple but important task and watching our characters grow as that happens. I don't think Leo is whiny and his general anxiety about everything is perfectly understandable, and his steady growth and interactions with ADA to become someone better: Finding a purpose beyond survival and, more importantly, be willing to the "illogical" thing of doing brave things even in the face of near-certain death. And watching ADA grow with him, and seeing his interactions slowly develop with other characters, it's all super endearing. Zone of the Enders's plot and premise isn't super original, and it really feels like a prologue to something bigger, but its nature and the way it's told really makes the game so much more pleasing to play.

Come to think of it...I don't really have much to say about the gameplay. 3D Action Beat 'em up, mech combat so you can fly around, it's nothing particularly complicated. There's like a weapon system or something but it's not particularly useful, and as cool as the bosses are most of them just involve camping with projectiles, while most enemies are dealt with melee. It does get repetitive and mindless at points (which I'll get to), but it's very satisfying nonetheless, and I think that's what matters most. I'd hope Hard or Very Hard makes the game a bit more interesting. The music isn't anything to write home about either, but there are definitely some good tracks (City Area, both the piano version and main version of Flowing Destiny, the final boss theme)

Now, despite all this praise, I don't think the game is great per se. The graphics on this PS3 port aren't very good seeing as it's just a sharpened up PS3 game that has still has meh draw distance and the occasional pop-in. The performance is also uh...questionable, with some bleh framerates especially in the Mountain stage, though as a retro game nerd it's far from unplayable and I've seen worse in Youtube vids of some AAA games. I have heard the PS2 port runs better but then you have to play it in SD, so pick your poison there (apparently the 2nd Runner HD port was patched to have better performance so I'm hoping for the best). But my main of contention with this game is the middle third (dare I say middle half) which...is pretty bad to be honest. While the first third is linear with the occasional side objective and the last third is completely linear, for this middle section the plot and pacing screeches to a halt as the game basically becomes a series of fetch quests interrupted by fairly mindless battles. You're constantly blocked from progress because there's some item you need to unlock something, that item is often located in previous areas and may even be locked behind a password, which is an item you'll need to grab from somewhere else, meaning you'll be constantly poking your head into old levels hoping to find what you're looking for; there's one particular item you need that isn't even marked on the maps so I just gave up and resorted to a guide rather than waste another hour. This section really only serves to pad out the game to 4-5 hours, when I would've been perfectly fine with a 3 hour campaign.

But yeah Zone of the Enders was fun. Honestly, the story was the through-line that made this a fun time for me, though the gameplay was fun for what it was. Go play it I guess, or play the sequel, it's apparently much better and includes a quick summary of this game's plot. 7 / 10

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
20210530_124856.jpg

Broke: "Whoa are those rare GameCube games?"
Woke: "Yo is that a stand for the esteemed Game Boy Advance SP?"

Indeed, I'm getting into buying display stands for handheld consoles. I've got a bunch so far, covering virtually my entire handheld library. I particularly like the design of the GBA SP one despite the "stand" function being nothing but thoughts and prayers. The rest lack logos and are just acrylic things that still look good, they're not just not this.

I've never been a big fan of handhelds almost solely for unboxed ones being nightmares to display, so hopefully these will be able to change that. They're surprisingly cheap too, about £10 each. No reason not to get them if you're into handheld collecting and not yet imprisoned for it.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Currently playing Ori and the will o wisps and am in looooooove. Got it on sale for the switch, could not be happier.

I'm surprised I like it so much since I've never really been able to get into metroidvanias like hollow knight (although I may go back and try that again), but this one plays closer to a zelda game? Anyway, am not even halfway through and the visuals, gameplay, and story have me hooked.
Welp just finished 100%ing it save for some achievements. It was a fantastic game start to finish, great controls, great platforming, interesting bosses and escape sequences, beautiful music and visuals. Literally my only complaint was that it was difficult to tell at times what was foreground and what was background, which made for some odd platforming sequences at times, but deaths are forgiving and didn't detract from my overall experience.

Easy 10/10

Oglemi

Borf
Just finished up Hollow Knight

Aesthetically the game is pleasing and creepy, the gameplay, namely platforming and boss fights, is very tight, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to complain about it a bit but it should be stated it was a very, very good game.

My major complaints stem from the deaths being pretty punishing but at the same time the game being heavily focused on difficulty, with bosses requiring multiple attempts to learn their patterns. I get that this is the appeal for some, but needing to re-traverse platforming sections multiple times just to get back to the fight drug out the game a bit much for me, at least until I got the dream gate warp (and even then there are some sections where you are literally 5 minutes away from a station, namely Deep Nest).

The lack of handholding was refreshing but it went almost too far in not directing you anywhere; had the game simply given you a name of where you need to go and nothing else, I would have found navigating more enjoyable. That said, I ultimately found my way without much difficulty and I was constantly surprised by how much the game map kept expanding.

The limitations on combat was almost more annoying than anything, particularly the game's affectation with flying enemies and your character's inability to swing outside of the cardinal directions. Had I been able to swing diagonally in the air I think I would have enjoyed the combat nearly 100% more, but as it was it was still very good and satisfying every time I beat a boss or tough enemy.

Overall a very good game but would not place it above Ori imo. Ultimately comes down to how much you enjoy boss fights I think. Easy 8 or 9 out of 10 for me

Anyone have good recommendations for long play time RPGs with replay value? I've replayed like Skyrim + Fallout + Monster Hunter more times than I can count on my fingers and I wanna play something new. Open to anything that's on PC or the Switch n_n. RPGs that are more action oriented are probably more up my alley. Hell even any Pokemon ROM games would be fine too. Just need a game to kinda waste my free time with!

Anyone have good recommendations for long play time RPGs with replay value? I've replayed like Skyrim + Fallout + Monster Hunter more times than I can count on my fingers and I wanna play something new. Open to anything that's on PC or the Switch n_n. RPGs that are more action oriented are probably more up my alley. Hell even any Pokemon ROM games would be fine too. Just need a game to kinda waste my free time with!
What about Xenoblade Chronicles? I played 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, which is rare for me as I prefer turn based RPGs to real time. The original has also been remastered in HD and I hear that’s great too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)