Media Videogame thread

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Egg Guardian in Age of Calamity is ridiculously cute and I love how they give hom that stylized tapestry sprite. He's like a cyberpunk doggo. Do wish there was a third mission in the demo where you could play Zelda from the start.
I like that the game appears relatively non-linear, you can choose which path you want to go down first rather than being forced to acquire the champions in a specific order.
The maps appear to be completely to scale and therefore are just huge, which is great.

Want to see if I can actually get all the goodies before the full release on the 20th.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
is anyone else playing hades?? I bought it on switch a few months ago and can't put it down

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Ratz Instagib

This is it. Despite never being mentioned in this thread (as far as i can tell), this is the best game of its type - the go really fast and instantly kill people type. And that type of game is very very fun. If you thought railguns were fun in Quake then this is the ideal game for you.

These are the 5 core tenets of this game:
1) your left click is hitscan and instakills other rats. infinite ammo short cooldown​
2) your right click sends out pulses which you can use the knockback from to send your little rat body flying across the map at ridiculous speeds​
3) bunny hopping (even though you are a rat not a bunny) exists and makes you go insanely fast​
4) the maps are normal human rooms. except you are a rat so everything is comparatively huge (which is a very entertaining and fun concept)​
5) you are a rat​

If you think that using your totally radical (ratical??) mountain dew guzzling carpal tunnel inducing pure gamer skill to fly around the map and click on other gamers is fun, then you need to purchase Ratz Instagib.

I will admit that the low of this game, when you go 0-15 in a match, is pretty bad. But the high of jumping off a humongous chair, flying halfway across the map in a quarter of a second, and instakilling three people is truly incredible.

Unfortunately this suffers the same problem as all old low player count shooters, which is that everyone who's playing now has been playing since release and is 100 times better than you. Makes it so that the lows are much much more frequent than the highs. The game is still fun though, and if it bothers you that much then 'git gud'.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Finally got my hands on Manifold Garden after its Steam release, spoiler-free review ahead.

I was expecting something along the lines of Antichamber, which is one of my favorite games ever, but I got a walking simulator with easy puzzles here and there instead. Now to be clear it's a brilliant walking simulator, but I thought I was going to get a puzzle-focused experience and was hit with a very heavy ambiance-focused experience instead.

The puzzles very often have their difficulty artificially inflated by obfuscating things. Ideally you never want the players to spend any time figuring out the "what", you want them to spend all their time figuring out the "how" - but there are many cases in this game where I spent more time figuring out where I needed to go and what I needed to do than actually doing it. If this game wasn't so outrageously pretty it would be a failure purely in terms of puzzling gameplay. There are many smaller, cheaper puzzle games that offer a much more satisfying experience strictly in terms of puzzling - Parallax comes to mind.

The game is amazing if you're not worried with the quality of the puzzles and just want to look at pretty geometry with some eureka moments sprinkled in, but it didn't really deliver on my expectations and it could have been so much more if it had better puzzle design. I expected a 9/10 game, but I only got a 7/10. I don't regret the purchase, I just hoped this game would be a bit more than what it is

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh hey I managed to find time to actually finish a video game !

Bucky O'Hare
System: NES
Release Year: 1992
Developer/Publisher: Konami
Genre: Action Platformer
Completion Notes: Beat Normal Mode, I'm not enough of a sadomasochist to play Hard Mode lmao

Based on a short-lived animated series adaptation of an eponymous comic (basically a TMNT wannabe), Bucky O'Hare was released pretty late into the NES's lifespan, and yet hilariously this hidden gem of an NES game seems to be more remembered than the TV show or comic it's based on. The game itself was directed and primarily designed by Masato Maegawa in his first ever game directorial role, and he would leave Konami very soon after this game's release to found the much-loved studio Treasure (a company I've talked about before, will talk about in this review, and will bring up plenty more times in the future :p). Not only that, but this game also has several staff members who would later join Maegawa at Treasure, most notably Hideki "NAMI" Suganami. Between all this, as well some trademark graphics effects (the way letter rotate and move around on the stage start and Game Over screens is pretty reminiscent of effects used in Treasure's Genesis titles) and design philosophies, I'm inclined to call this the game that really started the foundation of Treasure.

Just at a glance, Bucky O'Hare has all the marks of being a damn good NES game. Graphically, the game is fairly but good nonetheless, with plenty of big sprites on-screen at once and decent amounts of detail. Does the game look as eye-pleasing and well-animated as Kirby's Adventure, Gimmick, or Fire n Ice? Are the sprites as detailed at Metal Slader Glory? Are the backgrounds as impressive as the ones in Ninja Gaiden III? Well, the answer to all of these questions is, no, not really, but by keeping things simple, Bucky manages its main claim to fame: The performance. I can't recall experiencing any lag at all, and even sprite flickering is something I can barely remember. For an NES game with not only large sprites, but a large number of them on screen at any one time, this is utterly insane. Bucky O'Hare may not look like a technical marvel, but having played a good number of NES games, it sure as hell plays like one and might be one of the most gracefully aging NES games I've seen, to the point where it basically plays like a modern 8-bit indie game (we'll touch on this stuff later on actually). The OST is excellent, though it doesn't come as much of a shock since Konami's 90s NES games consistently had quality soundtracks. Every single level theme fits the stage well while remaining catchy and rocking and having those signature Konami DPCM drums, prime examples being Green Planet, Red Planet, and the super underrated Yellow Planet, though my favorite songs are the ones for the last two stages, Center of Magma Tanker and Escape.

Bucky O'Hare on the surface seems like a Mega Man clone: You run, you jump, you shoot, and you've got a special move that you can use when charging your weapon. You're given 4 stages to choose from at the start, and for each stage you clear you unlock a new character, whom you can switch between on the fly, with each character sharing the same health bar, but having different shot types and charge moves. Then once all 4 are unlocked, you'll go through 4 harder stages to finish off the game. In terms of the playable roster we have Bucky, who can shoot rapidly forward and upwards while having a high jump as a charge move. Next, there's Blinky, whose shot travels in a downwards arc, but is more powerful and can break certain blocks, plus Blinky has a hover for his charge move. Deadeye's shot is a slow three-way shot and can climb around walls for his charge shot. Jenny's charge shot is cumbersome to use, but is also the best at killing bosses when mastered, making her great for optimal play and possibly a forerunner for some similar design decisions Treasure would put in their games (i.e. Phoenix Force in Alien Soldier). Lastly, there's Willy, who is very much like Mega Man in that we can only shoot straight and can charge his shot, but the weapon itself is strong and very easy to use. Despite all these colorful descriptions, however, you'll probably find yourself sticking to Bucky for most of the game, and only later on will your other characters prove to be useful.

What makes Bucky O'Hare stand out from Mega Man, however, is the gameplay design. Classic Mega Man has very meticulous level design that often requires some careful consideration before you act on top of moderate speed and a slightly floaty jump. Bucky O'Hare is not only a bit more loose and a lot more nimble with its movement, leading to precise platforming and a faster-pace (both of which I like more!), but the actual level design feels like the developers just had a billion different level ideas and just decided to put in a bit of EVERYTHING. Levels don't really focus on just one or two ideas and build them up like Mega Man, they constantly jump around, with some screens expanding on previous ideas and some ideas only appearing briefly before getting dropped. Take Blue Planet for example, we start from a platforming screen that requires you to break ice blocks, then there's three screens of moving snakes (see below) that you need to carefully walk across while not dying, then a platforming screen introducing enemies that can dissolve platforms followed by an autoscroller screen on an ice floe the disintegrates, followed by a screen where you have to make enemies break the floor so you can descend to the ground level, followed by a platformer screen where you have avoid vertically moving crushers, followed by - do you see where I'm getting at here?? To be honest, I really like just how many different ideas the developers here are playing with, especially considering how bland the level design of some NES games (cough Ninja Gaiden) are. Plus, these ideas are generally well-executed, and I think Bucky O'Hare's play control and movement/physics are probably the best of any NES game I've played. The levels themselves are obviously quite meaty too: Despite only having 8 stages, Bucky is definitely not a short playthrough even when you've mastered it. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this level design is messy and unfocused, as not every screen is as polished as it should be. The reliance on using every possible idea also leads to stupid oversights like how you can't actually start the game with Blue Planet, you need to beat Green Planet and unlock Blinky before you can break those ice blocks. Not to mention, there are occasional duds in the level design, most notably the last screen of Yellow Planet (see above), which is a frustrating pseudo-autoscroller requiring you to repeatedly jump between fast moving "mine carts" or else you die instantly. It's probably the longest screen in the game and it boils down entirely to memorization and twitch reflexes.

Oh right, did I mention? Despite being based on a kid's cartoon, Bucky O'Hare is a SHOCKINGLY hard game. It seems innocent enough at first too, as Green Planet, the stage you'll probably start with, isn't all that bad, but the difficulty ramps up very quickly from there. There are a ton of different things that can kill you instantly in this game, and you will find yourself dying repeated times to many different screens in the game. At times it gets downright absurd, as some bosses or enemies will instantly kill you on contact, and some have attacks that are instant kill. Incidentally, a lot of enemies will do pittance to your life bar, letting you brute through the cannon fodder, though you still need to watch out for repeated hits or enemies that deal significantly more damage, and obviously the bosses will still kill you very quickly. There is a silver lining to all this though: Bucky O'Hare is one the most forgiving games on the NES. Not only are there password saves for every single stage (including the last 4, take that Mega Man!), but every screen in the game counts as a checkpoint. Game Overs will reset you at your last checkpoint, the only thing you end up losing are your life upgrades, which does suck for boss fights (and is especially painful for the brutal first part of the game's final boss), but it's still really refreshing to play an NES game that doesn't make you play everything you've already mastered repeatedly just to take a crack at the part you're stuck on. The brutal difficulty but forgiving design kinda reminds me of a modern indie game: I humorously think that this game could pass off as one if you just gave it a synthwave soundtrack, flashier sound effects, and included a "Press A to Restart" every time you died. Anyways, this forgiveness does make the often comical difficulty a bit easier to swallow and fun even. Yeah, that boss at the end of Magma Tanker was utterly insane, but I can't really think of any NES boss anywhere near as dynamic and exhilarating. But again, it still sometimes feels like this game goes way overboard, and the developers seem to use this as an excuse to make challenges that require prior knowledge in order to not die instantly. Honestly, if Ninja Gaiden had similar quality-of-life features, I'd definitely call Bucky O'Hare the harder game, so even though Bucky has these nice features, I hesitate to recommend this game to more modern gamers trying to get their feet wet with old-school games.

(if you're wondering, yes, these spike balls will kill you instantly if you touch them and don't shoot your way through them)

The scariest part of the game's difficulty is that there's actually a Hard Mode hidden in the game, where the main difference is that EVERY hit kills you instantly, turning those sections where you could brute force your way through into the stuff of nightmares. While it doesn't appear on the title screen, it's accessible by typing in the password "HARD!". And no, you won't get any valid passwords while playing Hard Mode, so you have to play it all in one go, making it a bit less appealing to play through for me. Granted, this mode was originally meant to be an anti-piracy protection, so it's probably not intended to be balanced in the slightest, although Treasure is a developer that expects some players to master their game, so who knows. Still, the fact that some people SPEEDRUN the game on this mode, albeit still dying numerous times, is both amazing but also just plain terrifying.

I've always found it to be kinda annoying that NES games are often rated more based on their impact than their raw quality, when the reality is that not only do a lot of games not hold up by modern standards, but many of the best NES games came out in the 90s when no one was really paying attention to the console (and some were, worse yet, Japan-exclusive). I do truly believe Bucky O'Hare is one of the very best games on the NES just because of how solid the game is across the board, though I always hesitate to call any NES game truly great simply due to their limitations. Bucky honestly came close to showing me just how versatile you could make an NES game (and at a third of the size of Kirby's Adventure at that), but it still has a few legitimate issues with its difficulty balancing and scattershot level design. Still, I would recommend checking it out, it's just a shame this game based on an obscure license, so it's probably never getting a re-release, and even before COVID physical carts went for around $80-100 online. So maybe go emulate it if you're interested in playing...just be prepared for a wild ride. Less experienced gamers should play some Mega Man games first.

Mid to High 7 / 10 (Legit Good)

Re: Age of Calamity

I like Breath of the Wild, but I'm not sure this game is for me. Especially at its asking price. I've heard lots of people criticize its genre (seemingly rightfully so) and I know the Warriors series is quite cynical in its DLC practices. I played the demo, but more thought, "This is a thing", it not really impressing me or vice versa. And the game really does not seem like $60. More like $40 max. It is not on the same level of BotW. Like, barely, if at all, close. Maybe I'll get AoC some year, when I can find a copy for like $20 or less. For now, it's not really seeming "for me".

Guess I have to wait and hope BotW 2 will be good, which I'm doubting. Or at least, I doubt it'll be as good as the first one. I don't consider myself a Zelda fan, as BotW was the only I've played a lot, and as I understand it, it's quite different from most of the rest of the series. Merely consider myself a BotW fan as such.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Late on posting this here by a few days but TWEWY SEQUEL WOOOO :D

The World Ends With You (the DS version at least) is my favorite game of all-time aside from the Hoenn Pokemon games, and it's one that I've been dying to have a follow-up to. I'm personally really glad that they seem to be using a (mostly) different cast of characters this time rather than a true story continuation since I feel like the first game's story ended quite nicely, but TWEWY's sense of style/metropolis theming, unique soundtrack, and compelling gameplay design are something I've really wanted to see more of. I know the battle system this time around is completely different, but, as much as I love the DS gameplay, to me what TWEWY is all about is creating a battle system that is unique, fleshed-out/nuanced, exhilarating, and makes the most of a game console's capabilities. If this sequel's gameplay can do that, we're golden, although the fact that this is not a Switch exclusive makes that last point a little questionable for me.

The first sequel teaser was in TWEWY's mobile port 8 years ago (before I even played the DS version myself), the first leaks I saw suggesting a sequel was in production were over 3 years ago, it's been 2 years since TWEWY's Switch port, and several months since the announcement of the anime adaptation. Needless to say, this sequel's been a long time coming. Anyone else here excited for this?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the series, but from what I've played through so far, Age of Calamity is really fun! It's a lot more story based than BoTW, but I honestly like it a lot. The battles are a lot different, but in all honesty, I've actually liked Age of Calamity more than BoTW, but that's probably because I'm a total sucker for a good story in a video game.

Also yeah, I wish BoTW 2 is going to be fun, but I'm not sure if it's going to stand up to the hype that it's getting.
Even if people like you find it fun, it's still not helping the case of me finding it too expensive for my tastes and for what I'm getting out of it. :( Just got to wait it out here.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even if people like you find it fun, it's still not helping the case of me finding it too expensive for my tastes and for what I'm getting out of it. :( Just got to wait it out here.
Unfortunately, 60 bucks is the going rate for a first party A1 Switch title, and the likelihood you'll ever find it on sale is incredibly low.

Personally I'm finding it quite enjoyable as mash up of BotW and Warriors mechanics. They chose a really solid foundation to build upon for a Warriors installment and their presentation is excellent. It's worth the 60 bucks.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Me with Overwatch. It's a multiplayer shooter. Every MP shooter in existence sells for, like, $20 max even before discount prices. Some are free! Overwatch released and it's... $40 on PC if you even realize the unadvertised "standard" edition exists, otherwise $60 including on console. For a MP shooter! How daft of Blizzard! I don't give a shit how high-quality the presentation or even the gameplay is, there's just not enough meat on these bones to sell it for full AAA game price. It's laughable! It took almost four years before they halved the base price (Jan 2019) and IIRC you still can't even buy the "standard" edition on consoles, so that means it's still $30 there. It's a shame because it's a fun enough game, but the asking price is just too high.

Same with PUBG, which rolled in a couple years later with a bare-ass arena shooter of sorts for $30. No thanks, y'all, I'll stick with Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 for those prices, or if I'm paying up I believe console-first shooters like CoD and whatnot still have campaign modes that actually offer added value for your money spent.

Reactions: BP

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I'd say wait a couple months and buy a preowned physical copy if you (rightfully imo) think it's too expensive. New game prices drop off a cliff around that time and don't rise back up for a few years.

I've been in the hunt for PS5 since it's release. Not sure what it's like if you're outside of NA but I've heard Canada also has it pretty bad too. I've taken about a dozen Ls now including driving 45 min to two separate stores in addition to the one in my hometown all turning me away. Oh well. Hopefully I'll score big on Monday.

This is my first venture into the Playstation universe. I have a good idea of the PS5 exclusive games I'll be picking up, but all I really know I want from PS4's library is Spider-Man and Persona 5. If anyone has any recs that I could snag on or before Monday for cheap lmk!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Thinking about the time Lego City Undercover casually dropped one of the most badass finales to any game I've ever seen or played

So I got Age of Calamity over a week ago and am close to 100%ing it.... The game really isn't that great IMO. The map, mission, etc. variety can suck and the game just lacks much depth. Hell, BotW has more depth in like....everything... And I mean everything. Even the combat. AoC isn't total garbage and the gameplay isn't a total wash, but this really was a cynical cashgrab more than anything. Really regret not doing what I wanted to do and just wait longer to get the game (if even). The bashers and and negative reviews where right about this game. There's really not much here. This was my first time playing a game in this genre, and for my sake, I should skip any others in it.

And yeah, the plot was total garbage and totally contrived. And it somehow makes BotW's barebones plot look competent. Granted, I can just ignore it on replays and just play, but the gameplay is lacking too.

There's not much real positives to this game, but I can name a few. Some of the music is great (Naboris's theme being amazing for example). The Yiga Clan were quite entertaining and where much better villains than Astor. Also,
while they still lack depth as characters, it was nice to see the Champions much more present and alive. I also kind of like that they lived, undeserved though it might be. This might the only thing from AoC I'd miss in BotW.

Also, I can play as Sidon. He's hard to use, but he's fucking Sidon.

That's about all the positives I have to say for this game.

If you're undecided on getting the game and are thinking about getting it, skip it. Avoid it. Or get it on sale. Unless you like this genre of course. This game is a cynical cash grab I fell for hook, line, and sinker. However, even though I fell for it, it doesn't mean I can't spare others from my naivety. If you want more BotW, you won't get it in this game. If you want to get more backstory on BotW, you won't get much of it here. If you want meaningful gameplay, again, you won't get much of it here.

Feel free to ignore that last paragraph if you like the Warriors genre. This is my first entry into it, and I don't have any other experience with others in its genre to compare it to,

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is my first entry into it, and I don't have any other experience with others in its genre to compare it to,
I haven’t played Age of Calamity, but I think the original Hyrule Warriors is very good, so I think it’s worth giving that a shot at least before dismissing the genre. The depth in that game came largely from how well you balanced your map control, especially while dealing with bosses, and I remember finding Hyrule Warriors both challenging and very rewarding to play (even more so when I re-visited it on hard mode when it came out on Switch).

I’ve never played FE Warriors or any of the Dynasty Warriors games tho so I can’t comment on those.

I haven’t played Age of Calamity, but I think the original Hyrule Warriors is very good, so I think it’s worth giving that a shot at least before dismissing the genre. The depth in that game came largely from how well you balanced your map control, especially while dealing with bosses, and I remember finding Hyrule Warriors both challenging and very rewarding to play (even more so when I re-visited it on hard mode when it came out on Switch).

I’ve never played FE Warriors or any of the Dynasty Warriors games tho so I can’t comment on those.
My comparison with the original HW:
+ Items reskinned as runes, and much improved. Easier menu setup means using them on reaction is actually feasible, and they now have different properties for each character
+ There's a lot less waiting when fighting major enemies, since being able to perfect dodge means there's more to enemy attacks than holding block
+ movesets as a whole seem more diverse, though that may be due to the sheer number of characters in the original
+ you can buy at least some of the materials you need for character upgrades

+- no direct ranking system means that you aren't going to need to reset for a stray hit at high levels, but also means you can just brute-force pretty much anything if you have enough items stocked up

- While the representation is quite good on BotW, the most you're going to see as a reference to any other Zelda game is a similarly-designed corner of a map
-Finding koroks is more of a pain than skulltulas, since there's no indication of where they are on the map. They're also more tied to character progression, and you need to unlock the ability to see how many there are in a stage
- I don't like the rod system. If they're supposed to be commonly used, why not have them refill between levels? If they're too powerful to be spammed, why give so many opportunities to get more uses within a level? It just feels like they needed to have breakable weapons somehow because that was one of the most (in)famous traits of BotW.
-similarly, healing items not being refreshed between levels is a pain, and they seem to drop less frequently than rod ammo
-less overall content than the original, but it has had several years of iteration to build it up. larger-scale side missions don't seem to be present.
Final take: good on its own, but doesn't outclass Definitive Edition. The less you need to rely on the L-button menu (rods and healing items), the better off it is.

So, today, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 was released... and I might have already 100%ed it.

1607469864409.png

The game is exactly what I expected, a more polished version of the first game (apart from a notable slowdown when Risukuma is using his final spell).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the game has a Spanish translation. Even if it does not have Spanish voice acting, or the hilarious artistic licenses done by the English version (as it seems the script was directly translated from japanese), it's something I did not see coming, and I liked it. And I did not notice any major mistakes, either.

The only real complaint I have is that, for the English voices, some character recycle spell sounds from the first game. Some alt voices (such as those of Schezo and Dark Prince, and all but the first two of Draco's spells) are EXACTLY the same as in the first game, which is really disappointing, given the Japanese audio was all re-recorded. I will stick to Japanese audio this time.

Last edited:
Another two months have passed, and a new season of Fall Guys has begun. Season 3 has definitely shown a lot of promise wit its initial release. 7 new minigames, a crown prestige rank for the sweaty tryhards including golden costumes, and some quality of life improvements such as a bulletin board and being able to leave a show mid rounds. Same deal with my previous Fall Guys posts, I'm gonna rank the minigames from my least fav to my most fav.

Big Fans: B
This was the mid-season minigame for season 2, so I'm not gonna count it in the ranking. Just know that I think it's a fun and solid minigame. Now onto the real ranking.

7: Thin Ice: C-
Ya know how Hex-A-Gone is often considered one of the best minigames for its high skill ceiling, strategy, and overall enjoyment? What if they made a new Hex-A-Gone and took out everything that made the original Hex-A-Gone fun? This is what Thin Ice is, and it's just... not that fun. Granted it's not Royal Fumble bad, but there's still a lot of flaws. Thin Ice is a Winter Hex-A-Gone with three layers clumped together, and instead of going away immediately, they go away overtime after they've been stepped on 3 times. Major problems with this, mainly, there is little to no strategy in the game. Since the layers are all clumped together with no separation, trying to get a layer for yourself is close to impossible, which takes away most, if not, all of the strategy in the game, and it basically makes it a matter of reacting on the fly and pray that your opponents have fewer tiles than you do. While it is still somewhat enjoyable, there are too many flaws with it to give it any grade higher than a C.

6: Snowy Scrap: C+
This is a team minigames where each team has a small snowball. The objective is to push your snowball into snow tiles to make it bigger. First two teams to make it to 100% qualify to the next round. Might sound very enjoyable, and while it is enjoyable, there's just one TIIIIINY flaw holding it back. Griefers. The problem isn't grieving itself, but more that it feels way too powerful in this minigame. You could have 4 people pushing your snowball, and have it completely ruined by a single griever. Yes, it only takes one! Rock n' Roll does suffer from a similar issue, but it felt balanced there because your ball was constantly on a downhill, giving the pushers an advantage. Here however, the pushers do not have that luxury. The only way to counter it is to grief yourself, which then causes the pacing of the minigame to come to a crawl, and then nobody's having fun. If they fixed it so that grieving is nowhere near as strong, then it would be B+/A- easily, but until then, the best it's getting is a C+/B-.

5: Pengwin Pursuit: B
No that is not a misspelling, that is how the minigame is spelled. This is a 3 team minigame with three pengwins. The goal is to grab and hold on to the penguin, and every second you hold on to it your team gets a point. Top 2 teams when the time runs out qualify to the next round. This one will probably be one of the better team minigames as time goes on. It's fun, easy to understand, and a decent amount of strategy as well. The only real problem with the minigame is that since you're slower when holding the pengwin, it can quickly become a bit of a mess where you have 20 beans dog piling one of the pengwins, but other than that, it's pretty solid.

4: Roll Off: B+
The second new finale, and one that's actually fun too. You can probably know what it is based off of the name alone, but in case you don't, Roll Off is a finale version of Rollout. When I first heard of it via the Fall Guys Discord, I was most intrigued. Rollout is often considered one of the more boring minigames in Fall Guys, so I wondered how they'd execute a finale version of it. What they did to finalize it up is by making the rollers faster overtime and to have the slime rise overtime as well. This combinates into a rather intense and fun finale. My only complaint is that I feel the rollers pick up speed a bit too quickly. It only takes like 3-4 cycles for the rollers to go at mach 3, when compared to Jump Showdown's far more balanced speed, and I can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed when it takes less than a minute for the rollers to go mach 3. Still a very fun minigame, but I'm gonna wait for a speed nerf before I give it any grade above B+

3: Ski Fall: B+
A Hoopsie Daisy Spin off, but GOOD this time (TAKE NOTES HOOPSIE LEGENDS). In this minigame, you go through bronze, silver, and gold hoops to earn points. Bronze is 1, Silver is 2, and Gold is 3, except the one at the end which is worth 5. Score 15 points, and you qualify to the next round. While the player collision can make it frustrating at times, especially one your first couple attempts at it, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun. If only Hoopsie Legends was fun.

2: Tundra Run: A-
Why is it that the basic races always end up being some of the best minigames of the new seasons? Is it because I qualify from them 99% of the time? Is it because I like how they play? Perhaps to both of those. This minigame is definitely a great first impression of the new season (since this is probably first of the new minigames you're gonna get). It gives you a nice taste of the obstacles to come, slippery ice, punchers, snowballs that get bigger as they roll about, fans that blow you away, and tiles that shoot you across the map upon stepping onto them. Overall, a very solid minigame.

1: Freezy Peak: A+
To put it simply, it's Tundra Run but better. The obstacles are far more fleshed out here than in Tundra Run, the Layout of the map is arguably better than Slime Climb, and the minigame is some of the most fun there is. Not much else to say, it's just an incredibly fun minigame.

So that's my ranking of the season 3 minigames (and Big Fans) from least to most favorite. Do you agree/disagree with it and what changes would you make to it. Make sure to let me know.

I'm too lazy to write anything too long, so I'll just say it:
I love almost everything about it to the point where the things I hate about it were just some minigames like Blockhead or racing with Kai in Yoshpet. The visuals are timeless, the gameplay utilizing your Celestial brush in puzzles and combat is great, and the music sounds so good and I love it a lot, when I play videogames I will always try to enjoy the music(I refrained from listing these themes cause it would be too much). The battles were fun with them using strong Divine Instruments' combos combined with your brush techniques for big damage and Floral Finishers with different brush techniques and strategies to handle each enemy. I like how the story constantly makes you think that you've defeated the darkness then the narrator right after says that the dark cloud moves somewhere else for you to explore.
I'm no game reviewer and my writing's rusty but my experience with the game makes me think that it's great and I recommend it for those who want a good action-adventure game. Plus, it's on many platforms, like Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 2, Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, with the HD versions by Hexa Drive made from the PS3 onward.

Thoroughly enjoying Immortals: Fenix Rising so far (about eight hours in). The puzzles are sharp, there's a lot of enemy variety and the story is pretty great. Its a goof-off game that totally does seem like it was inspired by an AC Odyssey glitch that created a giant cyclops, and that it was a passion project. It is a BOTW clone only on the surface, and I'd go as far to say that it has a bunch of high points over BOTW. It's way more colorful and lively, has less dead space in the map (though with a smaller map), and much better combat. The combat, perk and potion systems are all very well done. Lots of weapon and armor skins and mounts available. Will see where it goes from here but as of right now this game is def worth it. Note I'm playing this on XBox One, idk if there's issues with the switch version (feels like this is the type of game that pushes the current switch boundaries).

Last edited:
Ratz Instagib

This is it. Despite never being mentioned in this thread (as far as i can tell), this is the best game of its type - the go really fast and instantly kill people type. And that type of game is very very fun. If you thought railguns were fun in Quake then this is the ideal game for you.

These are the 5 core tenets of this game:
1) your left click is hitscan and instakills other rats. infinite ammo short cooldown​
2) your right click sends out pulses which you can use the knockback from to send your little rat body flying across the map at ridiculous speeds​
3) bunny hopping (even though you are a rat not a bunny) exists and makes you go insanely fast​
4) the maps are normal human rooms. except you are a rat so everything is comparatively huge (which is a very entertaining and fun concept)​
5) you are a rat​

If you think that using your totally radical (ratical??) mountain dew guzzling carpal tunnel inducing pure gamer skill to fly around the map and click on other gamers is fun, then you need to purchase Ratz Instagib.

I will admit that the low of this game, when you go 0-15 in a match, is pretty bad. But the high of jumping off a humongous chair, flying halfway across the map in a quarter of a second, and instakilling three people is truly incredible.

Unfortunately this suffers the same problem as all old low player count shooters, which is that everyone who's playing now has been playing since release and is 100 times better than you. Makes it so that the lows are much much more frequent than the highs. The game is still fun though, and if it bothers you that much then 'git gud'.
I love Quake! If you are a beginner, you have to be patient while they will kill you all the time, but somehow you will notice that you are already killing a lot, and then you will love this game

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finished Ikenfell a couple days ago and I think it's really worth the minor hype it's gotten and more as a great little RPG. Took me ~19 hours doing almost all of the side content but the whole thing was pretty top notch, music's great, exploration is great, battle system is very different and fun. The final boss is also just, very different than I think anything I've ever played although not in a bad way. My closest frame of reference would have to be Mother 3 although not the same emotionally. I don't know how to articulate it and wouldn't want to spoil it anyway, but it left a really strong positive impression alongside the ending to the point where I really wanted to recommend the game. I believe it's also still on sale on the switch eshop and free with gamepass so there's that.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have been gifted and obligated to play through Trails in the Sky significantly ahead of the backlog schedule. Boy is that prologue long. Classic JRPG goodness, though, aww yeah.
played the currently playable 9 games in the legend of heroes series

LOVE IT

my order was cold steel 1 / cold steel 2 (my intro to the series) then read up and realized there were other games

so went back and played sky 1 / sky 2 / sky 3 / zero no / ao no / cold steel 3 / cold steel iv

specifically love the different levels of plot...continent level / country level / city level / individual level

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)