Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hello, I created this account several years ago and I have not used it since. As my email address and date of birth are associated with it, I'd like to delete this account (or "close" it), but the "contact us" link in the Help > Terms and rules section redirects to the same page. Who can I talk to about closing my account, or at least replacing my personal data with dummy data?
Send me a pm and we can go over the details for this.

My friend and I are having a bet on how you pronounce Smogon. He says it's pronounced "smōgon" (first o has a long o sound). I say it only has short o sounds because your logo has a Koffing and it can learn the move Smog, hence the short o. Who's right?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My friend and I are having a bet on how you pronounce Smogon. He says it's pronounced "smōgon" (first o has a long o sound). I say it only has short o sounds because your logo has a Koffing and it can learn the move Smog, hence the short o. Who's right?
Smogon is derived from Koffing's German name, so however that is pronounced should be the correct one, imo

Tldw; this vid describes a way to get Pokémon from previous gens into current gens. This could allow a slew of previously lost moves to return to current Pokémon. Ex: Poochyena with heal bell.

Sorry if she uses devices/programs that the community thinks is cheating/inauthentic

GreaninjaF4n

Banned deucer.
How do you post about movesets? So, I know that you just post, but it seems like I'm gonna take extra precautions. So, can I try to post about a moveset, and the movesets they write here needs to be edited and stuff. Just asking, so how does this forum work with movesets?

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How do you post about movesets? So, I know that you just post, but it seems like I'm gonna take extra precautions. So, can I try to post about a moveset, and the movesets they write here needs to be edited and stuff. Just asking, so how does this forum work with movesets?
I believe you go to the respective forum for whichever format / tier you would like to suggest a set (Moves) for and will need to get approval from a Quality Control (QC) member or above. It seems like this is regards toward an analysis perhaps?

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Is there a guide to how to use colons to create images? For instance, typing :ss/minior: gets you :ss/minior:, the red core form. I've figured out that :ss/minior-meteor: :ss/minior-meteor: works for meteor form, but I can't seem to get any other colors of core with commands such as :ss/minior-green: or anything similar?

Really though more than an answer to the specific Minior question I'd just like a link to a guide to this feature. I also want to play around with Florges coloring and the way typing :itemname: can get you some items (for instance :lava-cookie: :lava-cookie: works but :rage-candy-bar: doesn't).

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've seen some people requesting for commands for types, like :ice:, :fairy: w/e, and I think that's very useful too. Also, I can't seem to get any gen 3 sprites. both :adv/pikachu: and :rse/pikachu: don't show any sprites

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
I've seen some people requesting for commands for types, like :ice:, :fairy: w/e, and I think that's very useful too. Also, I can't seem to get any gen 3 sprites. both :adv/pikachu: and :rse/pikachu: don't show any sprites
Where have you seen people requesting these? I've looked and can't find any discussion of this feature anywhere on the forum.

I've messed with Showdown and comp play on and off for years now, and I'd like to get into it more. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I'm supposed to get started on this site. Every discussion I've seen is stuff that I don't know enough about to contribute to, and I've seen many people suggesting I hold off on starting a thread for a while. I mainly just want to find some people to talk to, get more comfortable in the community, and learn more about teambuilding and the various metagames. I seriously don't know where to go.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've messed with Showdown and comp play on and off for years now, and I'd like to get into it more. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I'm supposed to get started on this site. Every discussion I've seen is stuff that I don't know enough about to contribute to, and I've seen many people suggesting I hold off on starting a thread for a while. I mainly just want to find some people to talk to, get more comfortable in the community, and learn more about teambuilding and the various metagames. I seriously don't know where to go.
Have you joined the Smogon Discord server. There we have several users who could help you and provide real-time feedback regarding any questions / concerns you may have. Click this to join the official server.

Alpha

Banned deucer.
Is there any easier way to get alerted for all the suspect tests happening around across all tiers?
Afaik, other than clicking on "Watch" on all metagames forums so you get notified when a suspect test thread is posted, no.

Make also sure you have this enabled (Profile -> Preferences)
Screenshot_20201001_080935.jpg

I don't know where to post this. Is there any resource to filter pokemons by multiple moves or abilities that you could point me to?
For example let's say I wanted to see all pokes that can use Spikes and Stealth Rock at the same time, or any other combination of moves/abilities.
Is there a way to do that? Please help and thanks.

Reactions: FNH

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I don't know where to post this. Is there any resource to filter pokemons by multiple moves or abilities that you could point me to?
For example let's say I wanted to see all pokes that can use Spikes and Stealth Rock at the same time, or any other combination of moves/abilities.
the ps teambuilder can do that for you! click create team for any given tier and then put the moves/abilities/etc you want in the search bar and it'll show you every pokemon that can do that.
for example, if you want every pokemon that learns stealth rock + spikes in UU or below:

hope that helps o/

Sijih

game show genius
Tagging on to what Lilburr said, if you're more comfortable with text commands in the vein of minecraft commands or command line stuff, you can go into any Pokemon Showdown chat room (including public rooms and battle chats) and type in:
Code:
/ds spikes, stealth rock
or
Code:
/ds move 1, move 2
to find a pokemon with that combo of moves. The command is really robust and you can use it to search for a bunch of strange combinations of abilities/moves/types. (To see more type in '/help ds')

Hey I have an idea

Basically I was wondering if it would be possible to create a separate space for those of us without PR access to discuss PR threads. I know you'll want to keep PR pure for the elites and their stooges, but I was thinking if there was like a subforum where PR threads/posts were automatically mirrored or something, that plebs such as myself, who really care about competitive pokemon and have actively contributed to the community at large but haven't concerned themselves as much with gratifying your bureaucracy, can comment on proposed changes. As mentioned, this would be a separate space, so you'd be free to ignore the masses like you currently do, it's just it would be nice to, you know, talk about this shit without spamming the respective subforum every time someone brings up something worth discussing. As it stands it feels like I can't even discuss many changes or otherwise voice my opinion because I haven't kissed enough ass, and suppressing speech doesn't seem like something that's a good idea for place dedicated to discussion, such as an internet forum.

If you decide you actually care about your community, there could even be some measure to nominate or vote certain posts to be added to the actual PR thread, thus eliminating the need for proxy posting, but I know I'm dreaming big here, perhaps my grand vision is too much for smogon staffers to handle- imagine, smogon, actually respecting the community, even those as semi-independent as the RBY community. No, perhaps I am too bold... I'm sure this will never happen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)