Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

:sm/kricketune:
:bw/kricketune:
:Kricketune:
Kricketune-Mega
Stone Name: Kricketite
Bug->Bug/Psychic
Swarm/Technician->Telekinetic Tunes (When this Pokémon enters the battle, the terrain becomes Psychic Terrain until and cannot be removed unless the ability Arena Rock or Grounded removes it, or until this ability is no longer active for any Pokemon. Arena Rock clone for Psychic Terrain.)
HP: 77->77 (+0)
Attack: 85->14 (-71)
Defense: 51->104 (+53)
Special Attack: 55->115 (+60)
Special Defense: 51->63 (+12)
Speed: 65->111 (+46)
Total: 384->484 (+100)
New moves: Quiver Dance, Roost, Expanding Force, (Psychic and Psyshock for flavor)

Ooooooooookay. So we hashed this over on the Discord and just so you all know, this sub is council approved. The -71 Attack may look strange, but in reality, I switched the Attack and Special Attack stats first, and then did -41. Why? Because Beedrill loses 30 points in Special Attack upon Mega Evolution and Kricketune has 11 points less. This minmax was thus deemed legal. Everything else was balanced so the sub wouldn’t be busted as a Quiver Dance Sweeper with council consultation as well, haha. Thanks to Hematite and Inkbug for the help!

Anyway, this sub is built as a unique Quiver Dancer. It possesses solid physically defensive capabilities, as well as good special attack and speed. It aims to set up with Quiver Dance and click Expanding Force/Bug Buzz. However, this sub has some cool nuances as well. First of all, its horrific coverage limits it to Hidden Power to nail Steels. However in doing this, it gives up Roost, which means it can’t Recover HP from its SR weakness that it can’t circumvent because it can’t use boots. So it has to choose between coverage and longevity, which proves to be a major balancing factor. However, thanks to Psychic terrain, it can set up without fear of otherwise dangerous priority. Overall, Kricketune-Mega is a great Quiver Dancer with good overall bulk and strong offensive options.

Design wise, it rises into the air with purple energy pooling around it. It grows a pair of large wings but doesn’t use them... A mysterious tune emanates from its body.

Last edited:
H...hey, uh, we aaare gonna veto this, I'm afraid.

You might not know this, but the most problematic part of Dracovish has always been its Choice Band sets. Its Choice Scarf sets may be more consistent - they're often considered the more viable or reliable option due to getting the Fishious Rend boost more often - but Choice Band is what actually got it banned, both in Gen 8 OU and in National Dex. The problem with that set is not its Speed - it's that when it does get the boost, there is no way to stop it. Remember that switching out to something faster doesn't work, because it still gets the boost on switch-ins - if you get Dracovish into battle against anything slower than it (and base 70 is faster than many defensive Pokémon with proper investment!), there is absolutely no stopping it from hitting something on your team at full power.
On the whole, Band Dracovish was banned not because it could always win, had too many good matchups or consistently contributed a lot to its team, but because when it did have a good matchup, the game was basically over at team preview - it damaged the integrity of the tier by requiring that every single team had a dedicated counter (usually a Water Absorb Pokémon that wasn't worth running for any other purpose) or just resigning to lose to it, even though it wasn't necessarily the "best Pokémon" or one of the most common. It's not a matter of being too good - it's just matchup-fishy (vishy?) and uncompetitive.

This Bibarel is one point faster than that, so you can't really claim that its Speed makes it less broken than Dracovish, and it also hits 93% as hard as Choice Band Dracovish.
(And it also has Swords Dance.)
Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak aren't inherently broken moves, but this Mega has exactly what it needs to make it so. I think the only way I would accept this is if you got rid of Strong Jaw and traded it for an Ability that doesn't boost Attack, base power or Speed at all or you could keep this and drop Fishious Rend, because Bibarel is not a fish, does not have gills, and generally has no flavor reason to have such a move.

EDIT---

I'm sorry - you edited this in while I was typing my last veto, so I didn't see it until after I posted it. This also definitely isn't okay. It hits way too hard with Close Combat, especially for something with that good a Speed tier, and Fighting/Flying is amazing coverage. I would require, like, 130 Attack or less and no boosting Ability.

---

Unrelated update: slate 13 is coded, so it should be playable as soon as the pull request is accepted!
This is the same pull request I keep mentioning that has attempted fixes for all of the bugs in the current version, so I'm very excited for it. Hopefully that will be allowed through in the near future!
(I'm sorry about the wait - I always try to submit patches however efficiently I can, but that doesn't affect how soon it gets accepted and patched in, haha.)
Oh... I removed fishous rend, and gave Stararaptor intimidate instead.

:staraptor:
Mega Staraptor
New Ability
: Relentless (When this pokemon is at 1/2 HP or less, its attack is boosted by 30% and cannot be lowered by any means.)
Type: Normal / Flying

New stats:
HP: 85
Attack: 150 (+30)
Defense: 95 (+25)
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 75 (+15)
Speed: 130 (+30)
(585 BST)

New moves: what no
Description: Staraptor loves to use recoil-inducing moves. Those induce recoil, making it significantly easier to KO. What do you do? You turn the recoil damage from harming you into benefitting you. Do I need to explain this any more?

JonAmon 25

Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
is a Pre-Contributor

Type: Fighting / Water
Ability: Strong-Willed (Thick Fat clone for Psychic and Ghost type moves)
Stats:
HP: 79
Atk: 85 > 115 (+30)
Def: 60 > 100 (+40)
SpA: 55 > 45 (-10)
SpD: 60 > 100 (+40)
Spe: 71
New Moves: Bulk Up, Recover, Drain Punch, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang, Body Press

Description: According to the Pokédex, Bibarel is a hard worker, so it’s Mega becomes much stronger and bulkier (exemplified by its fighting type). It becomes much dumber and braver in the process, causing Psychic type moves less effective to its smaller brain and making Bibarel fearless against Ghosts. From a competitive standpoint, being able to set up Simple boosted Swords Dances or Bulk Ups and then Mega Evolving into a much stronger and bulkier form is incredibly threatening, especially with reliable recovery and STAB Body Press. It can also become even bulkier with Amnesia + Bulk Up and attempt to sweep with Body Press.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:dp/staraptor:
:staraptor: Mega Staraptor
New Ability
: Stormy Feathers: When weather is up, this pokemon's STAB moves cannot miss and its primary type changes depending on the weather. (Sun=Fire, Rain=Water, Sand=Rock, Hail=Ice)
Type: Normal/Flying

New stats: 85/90/70/140/90/110
HP: 85 (+0)
Attack: 120 --> 90 (-30)
Defense: 70 (+0)
Special Attack: 50 --> 140 (+90)
Special Defense: 60 --> 90 (+30)
Speed: 100 --> 110 (+10)
(BST) 485 --585

New moves: Hurricane, Weather Ball, Earth Power, Thunder, Solar Beam, (Sandstorm), (Hail)
Description: Ok there are very few weather abusing megas. In fact, the only viable ones who don't straight up set up weather are swampert and houndoom. I like this staraptor sub because it's good outside of weather, it can counter other weathers and it's a weather abuser that doesn't care about weather wars. Say you have a sun team with Mega-Staraptor in it and your opponent has a tyranitar. Most sun abusers would be a lot worse if tyranitar switched in and removed the sun. That is not the case with staraptor. While tyranitar may not be its best matchup, if we look at other setters such as hippowdon or pelipper which are both 2hkoed by hurricane and can't do much back, you can see why staraptor would be worth putting on a team. It also can somewhat deal with weather abusers such as mega-swampert or venusaur. Outside of weathers, it can still hit hard with its hurricane or earth power which helps it hit steel, rock or electric types that resist flying. Overall, this is a versatile mega that functions best in weather but that can still be good outside of it.

:dp/kricketune:
:kricketune: Mega Kricketune
New Ability
: Refreshing Song: When this pokemon uses a sound move, both it and adjacent allies recover 25% health and have their status cured.
Type: Bug/Steel

New stats: 77/15/111/105/111/65
HP: 77 (+0)
Attack: 85 --> 15 (-70)
Defense: 51 --> 111 (+60)
Special Attack: 55 --> 105 (+50)
Special Defense: 51 --> 111 (+60)
Speed: 65 (+0)
(BST) 384 --> 484

New moves: Metal Sound, Flash Cannon, Parting Shot, Sparkling Aria, Boomburst
Description: With one of its arm turning into a harp with metal strings and the same happening to the guitar-like pattern on its chest, Mega-Kricketune uses its last arm to play songs that revitalize allies that hear them. Mega-Kricketune will most likely heal every turn and can force switches with Metal Sound and Parting Shot both letting it heal as well. It can also deal with fire types that could threaten it by using Sparkling Aria. It can use Sticky Web and Heal Bell for team support, and even use a healing Perish Song with infestation. With its incredible healing and team support, Mega-Kricketune will be a very good addition to teams thanks to its good and versatile support.

:dp/bibarel:
:bibarel: Mega Bibarel
New Ability
: Water Compaction
Type: Water/Ground

New stats: 79/95/130/55/110/41
HP: 79 (+0)
Attack: 85 --> 95 (+10)
Defense: 60 --> 130 (+70)
Special Attack: 55 (+0)
Special Defense: 60 --> 110 (+50)
Speed: 71 --> 41 (-30)
(BST) 410 --> 510

New moves: Shore Up, Earthquake, Flip Turn, Body Press, Iron Defense, (Sandstorm)
Description: Mega Bibarel is used to tougher environments such as the seaside. There, it makes its dam with mostly wet sand. Competitively, Mega-Bibarel uses one of the best defensivee types that being water/ground while having good bulk, reliable recovery in Shore Up, Stealth Rocks and the ability to pivot with Flip Turn. It can also use Water Compaction to take repetitive hits from physically oriented water types and boost the power of its Body Press.

Last edited:

New Typing: Grass/Ground

New Ability: Weak Armor

New Moves: Earthquake, Seed Bomb, Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, Shore Up,

HP: 79 - - >79 (unchanged)
Atk: 85 - - >135 (+50)
Def: 60 - - >80 (+20)
SpA: 55 - - >45 (-10)
SpD: 60 - - >80 (+20)
Spe: 71 - - >91 (+20)
BST: 410 - - >510 (+100)

Bibarel has covered itself in the materials it uses to build dams. So it basically now has armor made out of mud and plants. The armor probably won't hold out for long, since it’s just mud and plants, so I gave it Weak Armor. It’s added moves are just for STAB, except for Stone Edge, which is good coverage. Shore Up kind of makes sense, cuz it’s rebuilding its armor.

New Typing: Dark/Flying

New Ability: Stern Glare: (Intimidate clone. Upon Mega Evolving, lowers the opponent’s Special Attack by one stage. Same ability that my Luxray sub had.)

New Moves: Parting Shot, Taunt, Encore, Obstruct, Knock Off

HP: 85 - - >85 (unchanged)
Atk: 120 - - >150 (+30)
Def: 70 - - >90 (+20
SpA: 50 - - >60 (+10)
SpD: 60 - - >80 (+20)
Spe: 100 - - >120 (+20)
BST: 485 - - >585 (+100)

Copy and paste the description for my Luxray submission, and replace all the times it says Luxray with Staraptor. Yeah, it’s just my Luxray sub, but this time it’s a flying type. You can run Pursuit if the immense stat lowering scares someone into switching, which is something the Luxray couldn’t do. Plus it has Roost for a healing option.

Typing: Bug

New Ability: Simple

New Moves: Clangorous Soul, Giga Drain

HP: 77- - >77 (unchanged)
Atk: 85 - - >15 (swapped with SpA, -40)
Def: 51 - - >76 (+25)
SpA: 55 - - >155 (swapped with Atk, +70)
SpD: 51- - >76 (+25)
Spe: 65 - - > 85 (+20)
BST: 384 - - >484 (+100)
DELELELELELELELELELELE WHOOOOOOOOOOOP

Edit: I added Staraptor and Kricketune!
Edit 2 Kricketune now gets Giga Drain.

Last edited:
New Ability
: Simple / Unaware / moody -> Forgetfulness
(moves used against this pokemon only deal damage, and moves that don't do damage fail)

Type: Water / Normal

New stats:
HP: 79 -> 79
Attack: 89 -> 130 (+41)
Defense: 60 -> 80 (+20)
Special Attack: 55 -> 45 (-10)
Special Defense: 60 -> 80 (+20)
Speed: 85 -> 93 (+8)
(510 BST)

New moves: Metronome , Fire Fang
Description:
Bibarel is now the definition of the term "Bulky Offense". It has excellent role compression, a unique typing, Simple before it mega evolves, and more. Forgetfulness is because of this funny scenario I pictured where Bibarel just forgets that he's frozen in a block of ice and kills a Abomasnow with Fire Fang. Metronome is there for some comedy, and to reference the disobedience effects.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
New Ability
: Simple / Unaware / moody -> Forgetfulness
(moves used against this pokemon only deal damage, and moves that don't do damage fail)

Type: Water / Normal

New stats:
HP: 79 -> 100 (+21)
Attack: 89 -> 130 (+41)
Speed: 85 -> 93 (+8)
(510 BST)

New moves: Metronome , Fire Fang
Description:
Bibarel is now the definition of the term "Bulky Offense". It has excellent role compression, a unique typing, Simple before it mega evolves, and more. Forgetfulness is because of this funny scenario I pictured where Bibarel just forgets that he's frozen in a block of ice and kills a Abomasnow with Fire Fang. Metronome is there for some comedy, and to reference the disobedience effects.
You can't add point to HP. Also you started off with the wrong attack and speed base stat, attack should be 85 and speed should be 71

View attachment 281401
Mega Bidoof
New Ability
: Simple/Unaware/Moody-> Strong Jaw
Type:
/
--->
(Keep as Normal-Water if this isn't allowed)

New stats:
Attack: 85 -> 145 (+60)
Special Defense: 60 -> 90 (+30)
Speed: 71
(510 BST)
New moves: Ice Fang,Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang
Even though I don't see why pure Water wouldn't be allowed, I still think Normal/Water would be better so it can make use of Strong Jaw Hyper Fang.

:bw/kricketune: Mega Kricketune

Ability:
Swarm/Technician -> Clearance (On entry, apply Defog (applies defog before being hit by entry hazards))
Typing: Bug

Stats:
HP: 77
Atk: 85 -> 142 (+57)
Def: 51 -> 1 (-50)
SpA: 55 -> 132 (+77)
SpD: 51 -> 1 (-50)
Spe: 65 -> 131 (+66)
BST: 384 -> 484 (+100)

New Moves: U-Turn, First Impression

Flavour: Kricketune becomes the literal representation of a stick bug, having its body become extremely small and frail, although that allows it to move at incredibly high speeds.

Competitive: Mega Kricketune shares with Mega Garbodor access to the best form of removal in the entire game, but dies to literally any attack. Unlike Mega Garbodor, Mega Kricketune is extremely potent offensively, possessing STAB U-Turn and First Impression off of a great 142 Atk stat. It also has a great speed tier, outspeeding the majority of the metagame (only Ash-Gren, Mega Lop, Pult, Zeraora, Mega Butterfree, Mega Jolteon, Mega Archeops, Mega Talonflame, Mega Lycanroc-Midday, Mega Lycanroc-Dusk, Mega Boltund and Megapult), one of which gets destroyed by First Impression. A lot of bulkier pokemon have to deal with this thing coming in from Teleport, clearing hazards, and then U-Turning right back out to a Pokemon that threatens them.

:bw/slowbro: :bw/blissey: :bw/clefable:
Slowbro, Blissey and Clefable all partner Mega Kricketune in that they provide a free switch-in to it through Teleport. That's about it but they're a crucial part of its team.

:bw/kyurem:
Kyurem is a great partner to Mega Kricketune because it almost never wants to run Heavy-Duty-Boots, meaning that Kricketune can consistently remove the rocks that would constantly hamper Kyurem. I chose Kyurem specifically because it, to me, is the best way of covering its weaknesses, its Ice and Ground coverage covering the majority of the resistances to Kricketune's bug moves.

:kricketune: :slowbro: :kyurem: :magearna:
This core is extremely strong as it contains the 2 partners I listed along with Mega Kricketune of course, as well as Magearna who covers Kyurem's weaknesses very well, and Kyurem covers Magearna's weaknesses also.

:bw/bibarel: Mega Bibarel

Ability:
Simple/Unaware/Moody -> Patchwork Fortress (For every hazard on either side of the field, this pokemon gains a boost to both defenses (activates upon mega evolving and every time it switches in afterwards))
Typing: Normal/Water

Stats:
Atk: 85 -> 115 (+30)

Def: 60 -> 95 (+35)
SpA: 55
SpD: 60 -> 95 (+35)
BST: 410 -> 510 (+100)

New Moves: Refresh, Life Dew

Flavour: Bibarel sits atop of a fortress-like dam, made out of random bits of wood and other things (hence 'patchwork' and the way the ability works, the idea being that it uses the hazards to help build the fort), the actual fort itself has oars at the bottom, because its creating this over the water.

Competitive: Mega Bibarel has a weird niche in being on a team that will always not be carrying removal, usually carrying Stealth Rock and Spikes of their own. If the opponent fails to stop 3 layers of spikes and rocks going up, Bibarel can easily come in and set up a swords dance before clearing out the rest of the team (if the opponent also sets up their own Stealth Rock, M-Bibarel will be at +5 in both defenses! At that point banded CC from Urshi-R never 2hkoes). It benefits from a teammate thats able to punish Defog. Refresh and Life Dew can be used in conjunction as a more safe alternative to Rest, although they take up 2 moveslots rather than one.

:bw/skarmory: :bw/ferrothorn:
Skarmory and Ferrothorn both have access to Spikes and Stealth Rock, which partners Mega Bibarel extremely well. Skarmory is listed before Ferrothorn because it isn't weak to Fighting.

:bw/bisharp:
Bisharp is here because it punishes Defoggers that would otherwise seriously hamper Bibarel.

:bibarel: :skarmory: :bisharp: :landorus-therian:
This core is pretty strong as explained from Mega Bibarel's analysis and its partners, Lando-T is there because its Flyinium-Z set deals with Fighting types pretty well, and its general coverage supports the team nicely.

:bw/staraptor: Mega Staraptor

Ability:
Intimidate/Reckless -> Showdown (Whenever this Pokemon is on the field, Heal Block is active on both sides, Regenerator is blocked from activating when the opponent switches out (it isn't blocked by normal Heal Block))
Typing: Normal/Flying

Stats:
Atk: 120 -> 140 (+20)
Def: 70 -> 85 (+15)
SpA: 50 -> 75 (+25)
SpD: 60 -> 80 (+20)
Spe: 100 -> 120 (+20)
BST: 485 -> 585 (+100)

New Moves: Super Fang, Role Play

Flavour: The idea of this is that Staraptor is a bird of prey, and has the speed and stamina to endlessly chase another Pokemon, giving them no time to stop and rest (heal), while it constantly chasing something also stops Staraptor from resting (healing).

Competitive: Mega Staraptor fulfils a very unique niche in being able to stop an opponent from healing completely, decently matching up against Toxapex, bullying Tangrowth and Amoonguss, really bullying Gliscor, etc. Its bulk isn't perfect, especially with Brave Bird's recoil, however, that's where Super Fang comes in: getting a 50% damage off against something that cant heal is nice because it puts it in range of presumably Brave Bird, or allows Staraptor to catch it on the switch with its other insane option: Pursuit. Against something like Gliscor who almost always switches to not take toxic damage + Super Fang, it provides nice damage that slowly chips away through the opponent.

:bw/excadrill:
Excadrill is a nice partner to Mega Staraptor as it covers its weaknesses pretty well and threatens pokemon like Tapu Koko which destroy Staraptor.

:bw/heatran:
Heatran appreciates Staraptor being able to deal with pokemon such as Gliscor, or being able to weaken Toxapex enough that Heatran no longer cares about it.

I don't really have a core for this one.

:Bibarel: Mega Bibarel
New Ability
: Unaware
Type: Normal/Water

New stats:
HP: 79 -> 79
Attack: 85 -> 105 (+20)
Defense: 60 -> 110 (+50)
Special Defense: 60 -> 100 (+40)
Speed: 71 -> 71
BST: 410 -> 510

New moves: Slack Off
Description: Shuts down set up sweepers while having many ways to boost itself in front of the neutered sweeper such as Curse and Swords Dance. Slack Off gives it reliable recovery so it can consistently do its job. Its bulk may seem underwhelming but it's actually quite bulky when you take Unaware and Slack Off into account.

:Staraptor: Mega Staraptor
New Ability
: Hard Comb: Rock Head clone
Type: Normal/Flying

New stats:
HP: 85 -> 85
Attack: 120 -> 160 (+40)
Defense: 70 -> 100 (+30)
Special Attack: 50 -> 60 (+10)
Speed: 100 -> 100
BST: 485 -> 585

New moves: None
Description: A no non-sense wallbreaker. Hard Comb allows it to use its powerful STAB moves Double-Edge and Brave Bird without the worry of recoil. It also has STAB Quick Attack to pick off weakened and frail faster threats. It also has an improved bulk that allows it to take a hit or two.

:Kricketune: Mega Kricketune
New Ability
: Soundbug: User's Bug-type moves are now considered sound moves and their power is boosted by 20% (Reverse of Liquid Voice / -ate abilities)
Type: Bug

New stats:
HP: 77 -> 77
Attack: 85 -> 145 (+60)
Defense: 51 -> 51
Special Attack: 55 -> 35 (-20)
Special Defense: 51 -> 51
Speed: 65 -> 125 (+60)
BST: 384 -> 484

New moves: Cross Chop, Psycho Cut
Description: DELELELE whooOOOP! Mega Kricketune's Bug-type moves can now bypass Substitutes thanks to them being sound-type moves. Unlike other sound moves, Kricketunes' sound Bug moves remain physical. I decided to give the ability a power boost as it's so frail it needs to deal as much damage as possible. Its best move Leech Life now gets 96 power and heals itself of the residual damage it has taken (hazards, Iron Barbs, etc.). Cross Chop is its strongest Fighting moves that makes sense for it flavor-wise and is useful to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Gigalith. Psycho Cut gives it super effective coverage on Toxapex and other Poison-types.

:bibarel:
Mega Bibarel
New Ability
: Hard Worker (All HMs get a 1.5x boost.)
Type: Normal / Water

New stats:
Attack: 135 (+50)
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 121 (+50)
(BST: 510)

New moves: Fly
Description:
Cut, Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Fly and Rock Smash get powerful boosts, while its stats are optimized for physical sweeps. It’s a cute idea that will likely not be too successful in such a powerful metagame, or be voted for that matter. (EDIT: the irony lol)

Mega Staraptor
New Ability
: Rock Head
Type: Fighting / Flying

New stats:
Attack: 150 (+30)
Defense: 80 (+10)
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 80 (+20)
Speed: 140 (+40)
(BST: 585)

New moves: Wild Charge
Appearance:
Comb becomes hard and glistening, and becoming a grayish color. White spots on Staraptor turn a light red, with its back pupils becoming red. The tips of its wings end in an obtuse triangle trailing back, with the wings becoming shinier.
Description:
Obscene Brave Birds, Double-Edges and Wild Charges coming off a 150 Attack and no recoil! Unfortunately no Reckless for Attack boosts, but it’s still much better than it originally was. Higher defenses also help it Defog better, although it is still weak to Stealth Rocks.
Wanted to make it Fighting/Flying but I can’t do that unfortunately. Wait I can do that. Interesting. Looks like I didn’t read the rules properly.
Also realized that giving it Head Smash is probably not the best idea.

:kricketune:
Mega Kricketune
New Ability
: Dominator (On sendout AND when an opponent switches in, if one of this Pokemon’s stats are lower than the opponent’s, that stat gains +1. Ability can activate for all applicable stats.)

New stats:
Attack: 83 (-2)
Defense: 79 (+28)
Special Attack: 83 (+28)
Special Defense: 79 (+28)
Speed: 83 (+18)
(BST: 484)

New moves: Close Combat, Focus Blast, (Optional: Earthquake, Earth Power, Stone Edge, Power Gem)
Description:
I was so frustrated at the lack of any good role Kricketune could fulfill (Technician has nothing good to abuse; its stats were too low for an effective suicide lead) that we’re confounded by low stats that I just gave up. Until... my mind produced this incredible idea that let its stats be beneficial instead of hampering it! Now, when faced against powerful opponents, it can set up immediately; and the stronger the opponent, the higher the chance of getting more boosts! It is entirely possible to get an effective No Retreat through this.
Unfortunately, Kricketune still has a ton of flaws. A Weakness to Stealth Rock without being able to wear Heavy-Duty Boots, a substantially lackluster movepool, being forced to take up a Mega slot, lack of defensive options for stall teams and not too high offensive stats or speed even when boosted are just some of a myriad of problems. However, smart switching, proper team support and smart matchups (as well as a good pick of luck!) can make this Pokemon a very good Pokemon that can easily snowball out of control, being a very deadly sweeper under the right circumstances.
And it also discourages switching!

Hematite if this isn’t completed when you see it then just don’t be put it in the vote Cool I’m done
How do you like Kricketune?

Last edited:

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
True... So thanks
What's the theme gonna be for Slate 15?
Hey, not to bring this topic up again, but:

ChoiceScarfed , please edit your previous posts instead of making new short posts with new short comments. If you have short questions to ask, I know you've joined the Discord, your name is in the user list.

Having lots of short, quippy posts in the thread makes it more difficult to organize and compile our submissions, plus every post notifies everyone that's following the thread, regardless of whether it's important or not. At that point it's really just inconsiderate, you know?

(If you want to get into an argument with me about how this is also an irrelevant post that notifies people for no reason, please do so in the Discord, where I am usually online. Okay? Okay. I will not respond if you prod me about this in the thread, because I don't want to waste everyone's time. Consider this a final warning.)

Hey, not to bring this topic up again, but:

ChoiceScarfed , please edit your previous posts instead of making new short posts with new short comments. If you have short questions to ask, I know you've joined the Discord, your name is in the user list.

Having lots of short, quippy posts in the thread makes it more difficult to organize and compile our submissions, plus every post notifies everyone that's following the thread, regardless of whether it's important or not. At that point it's really just inconsiderate, you know?

(If you want to get into an argument with me about how this is also an irrelevant post that notifies people for no reason, please do so in the Discord, where I am usually online. Okay? Okay. I will not respond if you prod me about this in the thread, because I don't want to waste everyone's time. Consider this a final warning.)
Last short comment, I swear, but... I can't find the link to the discord.

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Last short comment, I swear, but... I can't find the link to the discord.
Thank you for understanding !
It's at the bottom of the first post, quoted below. It says you're a member already, though.

We have a Discord server for Megas for All version 7! You can find it here. This link isn't supposed to expire, but it has a few times before, so just yell at me if it does and I'll fix it! OTL

:ss/kricketune:
Mega Kricketune
Type:
Bug
Ability: Cacophony (automatically summons Perish Song upon switch-in or mega evolution)
Moves: Dual Wingbeat
Stats:
HP: 77​
Att: 145 (+60)​
Def: 81 (+30)​
SpA: 25 (-30)​
SpD: 81 (+30)​
Spe: 75 (+10)​

Cacophony is back again, and about time too. And this time, it's in the mood to kill everything. Do I think this is viable? No. Do I think this is fun? Yes. Cacophony puts a stop to any setup sweeper without Soundproof (so just Kommo-o), and can help to rack up hazard damage by forcing switches. However, since Perish Song affects everyone on the field, that also applies to Mega Kricketune, who would otherwise like to use Swords Dance, and who is a hazard-weak Pokemon without recovery.

For flavor, the energy from Mega Evolution has warped Kricketune's melodies and turned them into dubstep, i.e. the real-world equivalent of Perish Song.

New Ability: Simple / Unaware / Moody -> Floodgate
(When another Pokémon boosts its stats, or when entering battle against a Pokémon with boosted stats, Mega Bibarel floods the field to create a swamp around the opposing team for four turns.)
Type: Normal/Water

New Stats:
Attack: 85
Defense: 60 -> 140 (+80)
Special Defense: 60 -> 100 (+40)
Speed: 71 -> 61 (-10)
(510 BST)

New moves: Slack Off, Parting Shot
Description:
This Mega Bibarel is meant to be a unique anti-setup Pokémon. It can punish offensive opponents for boosting by setting up a swamp and temporarily granting its own team a major offensive advantage - a debuff to the opposing team's Speed great enough that even the fastest setup sweepers can be outsped by most of its allies.
Its own new moves are meant to expand on this niche, Parting Shot allowing it to ensure its allies a safer switch from boosted opponents and Slack Off enabling it to serve a defensive role so it's not dead weight against non-boosting opponents.
Its role as a wall is actually especially interesting in context, as setup is a common wallbreaking method and its Ability not only invalidates but severely punishes it. I felt this was important to capitalize on Floodgate and make its capacity to punish setup more meaningful; what use would an anti-setup Ability be on a Pokémon that doesn't invite setup in the first place?
In addition to its new moves, Bibarel still has access to a ton of options that might be useful for a defensive role: Stealth Rock for general support, Yawn and Toxic to get setup sweepers out of the picture as efficiently as possible, Taunt as an anti-stall measure, and maybe Curse and Swords Dance? (It isn't exactly an offensive Pokémon, but if it's meant to tank hits and last long, it might be able to get multiple boosts in - Return is a nice STAB to have, and while it won't be hitting as hard as other setup users do, a Swords Dance can at least get it on par with some other non-boosting wallbreaker Megas!)
There are plenty of ways for Mega Bibarel to fit onto a team, and I think having this many options could also lend itself to a great deal of creative freedom when using it - I would really enjoy having a Pokémon like this in the meta!

---

New Ability: Swarm / Technician -> Executioner

New Stats:
Attack: 85 -> 151 (+66)
Defense: 51
Special Attack: 55 -> 25 (-30)
Special Defense: 51
Speed: 65 -> 119 (+64)
(484 BST)

New moves: Dual Wingbeat
Description:
Okay, so I was looking for ways to make Fell Stinger viable, and... I was initially going to go for Technician, but I realized that Executioner (our Mega Bisharp's Ability, by DrPumpkinz) is actually a much more effective way to achieve the same thing in a directly synergistic way (always more fun than a straight unconditional BP change) while also buffing its other moves.
Incidentally, Dual Wingbeat has an interesting interaction with Executioner - if the first hit is enough to get the target below 50%, the second hit will still be boosted. This means Kricketune can use its Ability for a 25% boost overall even on targets that are slightly above 50% health.
I was thinking this would probably run something along the lines of Fell Stinger + Leech Life + Dual Wingbeat + Brick Break, which is about the best coverage it can get with its STABs? Executioner Fell Stinger is its main niche, and Leech Life gives it moderate sustainability during its sweep, but its incredible frailty still leaves it pretty easy to force it out with anything with priority or anything naturally faster. You'd need a fair bit of team support to make use of it, but its offensive potential is no joke if you can maneuver it into an ideal position for a sweep!

---

EDIT: I'm also doing a Staraptor!

New Ability: Intimidate / Reckless -> Preening
(At the end of each turn, if Mega Staraptor did not sustain direct damage from an attack, its HP is restored by 1/8.)
Type: Fighting/Flying

New Stats:
Attack: 120 -> 145 (+25)
Defense: 70 -> 85 (+15)
Special Attack: 50 -> 55 (+10)
Speed: 100 -> 130 (+30)
(585 BST)

New moves: None for now
Description:
This Ability is actually based on one from Pokémon Uranium - "Rebuild," exclusive to their Fakemon Gargryph! I thought it worked well here for a few reasons, so I decided to use it as the basis for my Mega Staraptor.
Fighting/Flying is a super good attacking type, so I wanted to be relatively tame with my buffs here - gaining STAB on Close Combat is big in itself! I was actually going to make its Attack a bit lower than this at first, but we discussed it on the Discord and it sounds like it does need at least this much.
Mega Staraptor's new Ability, Preening, is meant to create distinctive battle style that rewards bold play and decisive momentum grabs and offers a safety net to enable them and it's being used in a totally different way from Gargryph!.
Mega Staraptor's offensive presence alone should grant it plenty of safe turns to recover HP, including both forced switches and any turn when it acts before its target and knocks it out.
That said, Preening also works especially well with its STAB moves! Brave Bird usually has a drawback in its recoil damage, but it becomes much safer to use when Staraptor can has such passive recovery this great.
Meanwhile, Close Combat usually makes a Pokémon much easier to revenge and more vulnerable to priority by lowering its defenses - but as we know from Gliscor, one of the key benefits of 1/8 recovery is how well it enables Substitute! With Preening, Staraptor can set Substitutes more reliably and at much less cost than almost any other Pokémon, and one turn to set this up give it a ton more leeway in taking risks later and acts as insurance against Scarfers and priority users, not to mention that it goes on to guarantee more safe Preening until the turn after it's broken.
It looks like everyone else is playing up the savage and combative side of Staraptor (and that is reflected here as well, with its type change and with the kinds of moves and strategies Preening enables), but it's also noted as a vain and fussy Pokémon, which I thought was a pretty fun excuse for an Ability like this. Mega Staraptor goes to great lengths to maintain its appearance even during battle - whenever it has a free moment and isn't under attack, you can bet it'll be making sure its comb is in perfect form! Have to look cool when you're cleaning teams.

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
:ss/Bibarel:
Mega Bibarel
Type:
Normal/Water ---> Normal/Water
Ability: Simple/Unaware/Moody ---> Wood Chipper (Contact moves deal double damage to Grass-types)
HP: 79 ---> 79
Atk: 85 ---> 145 (+60)
Def: 60 ---> 100 (+40)
SpA: 55 ---> 35 (-20)
SpD: 60 ---> 100 (+40)
Spe: 71 ---> 51 (-20)
Added Moves: Close Combat, Slack Off, Wood Hammer

Description: As a beaver, Bibarel should have the upper hand against plants, so this Mega is just that. Competitively, Bibarel is a frightening wallbreaker, now being able to break through Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and other bulky Grass-types.

252+ Atk Mega Bibarel Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 308-366 (84.6 - 100.4%)
252+ Atk Mega Bibarel Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 288-342 (71.2.6 - 84.6%)
252+ Atk Mega Bibarel Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 138-164 (39.2 - 46.6%) ok ferro

252+ Atk Bibarel Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 372-440 (105.6 - 125.0%)

:ss/staraptor:
Mega Staraptor
Typing:
Normal/Flying ---> Fighting/Flying
Ability: Intimidate/Reckless ---> Defiant
HP: 85 ---> 85
Atk: 120 ---> 155 (+35)
Def: 70 ---> 95 (+25)
SpA: 50 ---> 50
SpD: 60 ---> 80 (+20)
Spe: 100 ---> 120 (+20)
Added Moves: None

Description: Nothing too weird here. Competitively, this Mega can be used as an anti-Defog or anti-Intimidate measure, much like Bisharp.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
:ss/kricketune:

/

Ability: Harmonize (Upon using a sound move, a side condition is set onto the user's side of the field that guarantees attacks to land for 3-4 turns so long as they aren't OHKO moves.)

Atk: 85
Def: 101 (+60)
SpD: 121 (+70)
Spe: 35 (-30)
New Moves: Parting Shot, U-turn, Roost, Disarming Voice, Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough

Reasoning
:

Kricketune has needed some help for so long, and its sound lemotif has a lot of room to play with, and I thought what better way to touch on that than with a bard sort of Pokemon? Bards are usually support teammates, and I wanted my Mega Kricketune to reflect that. It has a better defensive typing, actual defenses, recovery, slow momentum, and, most importantly: an incredible utility ability that allows for it to very effectively facilitate offense by guaranteeing their attacks to land for a few turns. There are a few obvious implications with this: such moves as Sing, Grass Whistle, or Hypnosis gain viability, alongside very strong offensive options like Zap Cannon and Inferno which are neutered by a reprehensible accuracy. Alongside Kricketune being able to plant webs, remain alive, and utilize options like Perish Song and Heal Bell to both support its team and utilize its ability, Kricketune goes from a Suicide Webs lead into a very potent cleric and Balance Mega. Plus, although its defensive typing has some great merits, it is also restrained by a bevy of weaknesses, including to Stealth Rock, and chip damage makes it very hard to use when pressure is being aptly applied to it. Nonetheless, it can be very strong in the right hands.

As for move options: Parting Shot and U-turn allow for Kricketune to get right out of there; Parting Shot, specifically, has a really cool variable in being a Sound move in of itself, letting its ability activate upon use of the move. U-turn lets Kricketune not be Taunt fodder, however. Roost gives Kricketune longevity; if Scizor/Scyther can have it, why can't Kricketune? Everything else is simply to give Kricketune some STAB options, with Disarming Voice and Dazzling Gleam being added mostly for flavor.

Flavor:

tba

Dex Entry:

tba
-----
:ss/bibarel:

/

Ability: Fortify (For every stat boost active on the field upon entry/mega evolution, including those on the user's side of the field, the user gains +1 defense for every boost detected. If there are over 2 boosts detected and the user is statused, the status will be cleared.)

Atk: 115 (+30)
Def: 80 (+20)
SpD: 110 (+50)
New Moves: Body Press, Drain Punch, Bulk Up, Shore Up, Wood Hammer

Reasoning:

On the surface, Mega Bibarel looks really underwhelming. It isn't minmaxed for any efficient BST gain, and it only gets Drain Punch as far as new STAB options go. So, what's the catch? The catch lies in its ability: Fortify, which completely reaps off of the insane boosts Bibarel can get off of a Simple boosted Swords Dance or shiny option in Bulk Up. Upon Mega Evolving, it dons a very all or nothing nature, where it is capable of winning games on the spot with gigantic defense boosts as explosive as its initial boosts, as well as giving itself even easier setup even post evolution with new reliable recovery in Shore Up. Interestingly, Mega Bibarel can also be used as a failsafe against physical sweepers, gaining defense boosts that allow for it to take them on more immediately upon switch-in; however, the ability is mostly designed around giving Mega Bibarel the ability to act as a bulky, explosive win-con that acts somewhat similarly to BD Kommo-o in nature.

A few things of note: Drain Punch gives it a new STAB option that isn't obscene, yet still supports its bulky sweeping design; Bulk Up is a stronger variant of Curse that lets it more freely use Water STAB moves that aren't Waterfall; and, lastly, Shore Up gives it much needed reliable recovery that also gives it the ability to act as a more defensive ally if needed, thanks to its much nicer defensive typing. Wood Hammer is mostly for flavor, but can probably be used in a few fringe cases. Also, if you're into it, it gets Amnesia as well, if you want to take that route and make Mega Bibarel the most horrible thing to face. For that, I opted to give it Body Press as well, to make it so you have the ability to run this thing in numerous ways, have an extra way to take advantage of the new Fighting-type and Defense boosting gimmick, and so it's not a one trick pony.

I find it hilarious that my Mega Bibarel can just hit +6 defense in just 2 turns with Bulk Up + Fortify. I think that's a record?

Flavor:

tba

Dex Entry:

tba
-----
:ss/staraptor:

/

Ability: Vanity (Dark-type attacks ignore type effectiveness, whether it's super effective or not very effective.)

Atk: 135 (+15)
Def: 90 (+20)
SpA: 50
SpD: 95 (+35)
Spe: 130 (+30)
New Moves: Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Foul Play, Taunt, Bulk Up, Parting Shot, Dark Pulse, Torment, Beat Up

Reasoning:

It seems there's a weird thing with me making the beginner birds jacks of all trades, but, screw it, I'm doing it. My Mega Staraptor is all about the offensive utility aspect of the Dark-type, as its ability Vanity grants it with unresisted Knock Offs, Sucker Punches, and Foul Plays; though, as a balancer, they lose their super effectiveness against Ghost and Psychic types. That being said, being able to actually hit Fairy, Fighting, and other Dark types neutrally is a godsend for it, allowing for it to throw off Knock Offs with near complete freedom, removing items and chunking bulky Fairy-types that plague the metagame, such as Clefable and Magearna. On top of this, Mega Staraptor has pre-mega Intimidate, which only further bolsters its effectiveness on every front.

Plus, this submission would give base Staraptor Knock Off, which could be the thing Staraptor needs to break past BL.

Mega Staraptor can be run in a myriad of ways, which is the whole point! It can be run with Bulk Up to capitalize on its unresisted STAB Sucker Punch/Knock Off, but it can also be run as an offensive pivot or offensive utility Pokemon with great options like Foul Play, Taunt, and Parting Shot now in its arsenal. All of its move additions reflect this splashability as an all arounder Dark-type, all while giving Staraptor some extra STAB options. For comparison, think of this as a toned down Yveltal, with potentially nuclear Dark moves to dish out, but having a lot of defensive utility to bat as well.

Flavor:

tba

Dex Entry:

tba

yuh

Last edited:
:ss/Staraptor:
Mega Staraptor
Type:
Normal/Flying
Ability: Reckless
Moves: Dual Wingbeat
Stats:
HP: 85​
Att: 150 (+30)​
Def: 120 (+50)​
SpA: 50​
SpD: 60​
Spe: 120 (+20)​

Nothing too spectacular. Staraptor really likes its Reckless ability, so I kept it while also letting it run Intimidate pre-Mega. I also took a page out of some of the top megas like Salamence, Scizor, Metagross, Mawile, and Heracross (that's more megas than I initially thought, actually) and poured a bunch of points into Defense for some reason.

Staraptor is already almost good. It doesn't need anything crazy to be viable.

:sm/staraptor:
:bw/staraptor:
Staraptor-Mega
Normal/Flying->Normal/Flying
Stone Name: Staraptorite
Intimidate/Reckless->Caduceus Wings (When this Pokemon receives recoil damage, it does not receive recoil damage and is instead healed by the amount of damage it would receive.)
HP: 85->85 (+0)
Attack: 120->130 (+10)
Defense: 70->85 (+15)
Special Attack: 50->80 (+30)
Special Defense: 60->85 (+25)
Speed: 100->120 (+20)
Total: 485->585 (+100)
New Moves: Dual Wingbeat, Lash Out
So I feel like the main things holding base Staraptor back in competitive are its extremely low longevity due to its reliance on recoil/defense lowering attacks paired with its poor defenses and typing, and its average speed tier. This build aims to maintain Staraptor's extreme power as a wallbreaker while granting it three things: a method of healing while remaining offensive, a small boost to its bulk, and a much-needed improvement to its speed tier. Uniquely, this Mega Evolution actually prefers to stay in its base form for a few turns to take advantage of the higher wallbreaking power until its HP is low enough that it should Mega Evolve and heal up a bit. The new moves are mostly just the ones I feel like it would probably get if it was in Sword and Shield even though they aren't viable on Mega Staraptor. So uhhhh yeah.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! Just here to announce a couple of updates!

Slate 13 is now playable, and just about all known bugs have been fixed!
Unfortunately, there are a small handful of issues left:

- It is not currently safe to use any Pokémon holding :raichu: Raichunite, :lycanroc: Midday Lycanite, :lycanroc-midnight: Midnight Lycanite or :lycanroc-dusk: Dusk Lycanite (whether it's the intended holder of the item or not). The server will crash when the holder enters battle - please do not use any teams that include these items for now!
- Meanwhile, :garbodor: Mega Garbodor is entirely safe to use, but Trash Compactor doesn't work perfectly.
- Mega Garbodor is not immune to hazards.
- While Mega Garbodor does clear hazards, this is not displayed properly, making it difficult to keep track of which hazards have been cleared and which hazards are actually present. (This part is purely visual and does not impact the effect in battle.)

Both of these issues have been corrected in the currently-pending patch!
The patch is live! Every Mega Evolution can be used safely and should work as intended!
On that note, Scoopapa helped me to set up a way for me to test the code myself before it goes live - these bugfixes have both been confirmed to work, and starting from the next patch, you can expect any future patches to be bug-free on launch!
This also means that Scoopapa needs less time to review them before they approve them, which will lead to a more efficient update cycle from both of us in the future!
I'm so excited about this - patches to the mod will be running way more smoothly from now on!

I should also add that :butterfree: Dust Scatter does function properly to the extent that spore and powder moves can affect any Pokémon regardless of being Grass-type, holding Safety Goggles or having the Ability Overcoat, but it does not allow Stun Spore to paralyze Electric-types or Poison Powder to poison Poison- and Steel-types.
This is something I have tried to solve in many different ways, but it just doesn't seem to be possible at the moment. Mateeus has confirmed in the past that it would acceptable to exclude this part of the Ability if it's unfeasible to code, and it seems that is the case; for the foreseeable future, the Ability will be considered complete as it is, and it is not expected that this effect will be added to it.
(That said, Mega Butterfree has made a surprising impact on the mod as it is - it's currently one of the strongest Mega Evolutions already, and Sleep Powder with no immunities has proven to be more than enough of a benefit to Quiver Dance sets! It's generally accepted that Stun Spore and Poison Powder would not have been competitively relevant moves on Butterfree regardless, so this change should not have a negative effect on its viability.)

Now, then... how about that slate 13 update?
:luxray: Mega Luxray, :archeops: Mega Archeops and :talonflame: Mega Talonflame are all implemented and fully functional! Their Mega Stones are called Luxrite, Archeonite and Talonflite. (You can also find this on the spreadsheet as usual!)
The nerf we chose to apply to :dragapult: Mega Dragapult has also now taken effect! Recover is no longer a part of Dragapult's learnset, and Mega Dragapult's stat spread has been altered to be less optimized than before, including a major cut to Speed. Its new stats are as follows:
1602538762914.png
We are still open to making further modifications (including if it turns out that it needs to be buffed from here, which is something that concerned Mateeus), but the community on Discord generally agreed with this as a first step. After we've tested it, any future balance concerns can still be raised in the thread or on the Discord, preferably supported with battle experience.

Speaking of the spreadsheet, we also have a new tab on it showing Speed tiers of all of our Mega Evolutions!
Additionally,
Mega Lycanroc (Midday Form) now has sprites (by me!), although they may be updated in the future with some QC by inkbug, and these are on the sheet as well.
You can check out all of the other sprites and design concepts for the mod so far in the gallery here! They aren't visible on DH yet, unfortunately - we're still looking into how to set that up - but we have some more plans for how to use them in the future!
Edit: I have had the wrong link here this entire time

Speaking of balance changes, we've discussed a handful of others, including a potential buff to :flareon: Mega Flareon in the form of reliable recovery (most likely access to Morning Sun) and a nerf to :reuniclus: Mega Reuniclus in the form of a Special Attack reduction (with any lost points going into its currently-minimized Speed stat). Sorry, guys - this one was my own sub! Since having the chance to use it in practice, we've found that I underestimated the potency of Two-Minded Psycho Boost and the sheer variety of sets it would be able to pull off; its low Speed wasn't as effective a balancing factor as I anticipated.
That said, there's been very little testing so far - and none at all since a minor error with Reuniclus was fixed yes, Mega Reuniclus and Mega Gothitelle are actually the right types this time... sorry - so we're not sure about any future suspect tours just yet (although you can stay tuned for news on a special event that we plan to announce alongside slate 12!).
We just currently have our eyes on these two, and playing the mod for yourself and sharing your thoughts on the Discord is the best way to make your voice heard and contribute to the balance of the mod!

Lastly, this is a reminder that submissions for the current phase will close on Wednesday, October 14 at 3:45 PM (GMT), or in a bit under 43 hours. (You still have plenty of time to go!)

Edit: also I implemented the Dracovish ban in accordance with the National Dex meta, made Zarude legal because for some reason it wasn't, and renamed Cinderacite -> Cinderite and my own custom Ability Grounded -> Down-to-Earth, both thanks to suggestions from inkbug!

EDIT: The latest bugfix patch is live!!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)