Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

I'd say that when it comes to spectrier people are getting too focused on the fact that spectrier can beat any of its' counters and forget that to beat its' counters spectrier needs to sacrifice the ability to fight other counters or forms of counterplay. for example, to counter blissey, it absolutely needs CM, disable and a non ghost attacking move.Thats 3 moves that it's not running because it wants to(if it could get away with it, it would prefer nasty plot to CM, coverage to disable and not to be forced to forgo either a STAB attack or substitute), and it heavily reduces its' general power. Also, people forget that you can counterplay it as a team. Take for example that set that counters blissey. Does it still counter it if toxic spikes are up? hell no it dies before being able to CM. This is where you would say "but then you need 2 pokemon to take care of one"; but can you honestly say that you are using blissey, the best all around special wall in the tier, JUST to take care of spectrier? Or that you are using toxic spikes just to counter spectrier? In general I'd say people expect to just take care of an opposing pokemon by sending in one of your dudes that counters it, but I'd say it's kinda nice to have to use combinations of moves and pokemon to handle different things, if those moves and pokemon can do other useful things outside of countering that pokemon.

Also it kinda needs to be said, sometimes spectrier will just clean house. It's a cleaner pokemon, it wouldnt suck if it couldn't do it. it can absolutely kill like 4-5 pokemon in a sweep and that's what you will remember, and not how your opponent got to this situation by chipping your resist, killing your special wall and checking for scarfers on your team as well as possibly keeping the field clear of tspikes,screens and other stuff that heavily hinders it.

That said, I do think the pokemon is very powerful and absolutely capable of some ridiculous feats, and that there is exists some variant of it that 6-0s any or almost any team, but for every variant that does that to your specific team, there are like 5 variants that don't, and can indeed feel very weak against what you specifically are running (like any choice set against ttar or blissey, or hell even urshifu or something like that). It's like everyone has that one traumatic experience with it that makes them imagine a monster spectrier coming in out of the gate with +1 spattack, a sub and 6 moveslots every game, and that is coloring their perception of it.

I will say that I'm writing this not as a way to say spectrier is weak or something, it's obviously not, but just as a person that doesn't like the idea of prematurely banning stuff, and instead leaving time to try to adapt to it, and only using bans as a far off last resort to things, and I might also be playing a bit of the devil's advocate here, which I like doing whenever people are starting to put attention to potential problems to offer a bit of a counterpoint, just for due consideration.

Instead of joining the debate on what is broken and what is not, I would just like to talk about just how solid Tapu Fini is at the moment at holding balance together. Fini really felt quite scuffed when Zygarde and Kyubey were still around as it's really finnicky to fit on the same team with Zygarde (since if you switch from Fini to Zygarde to eat an Electric attack, Zygarde can't just Glare the switch-in due to Misty Terrain), and balance as a whole was getting broken apart by those two.

Tapu Fini is a utility counter that can take on the "big three" of balance breakers at the moment in Pheromosa, Spectrier and Urshifu, especially when paired with Wish support. Fini is able to avoid the 2HKO from just about anything these 3 can throw out, and unlike Toxapex, Tapu Fini is immediately threatening a KO against Pheromosa and Urshifu, while just facetanking anything that isn't Specs Spectier (which Fini still tanks 2 hits from, while dealing 50+% with Knock Off). And that's not to mention the decent matchup that Fini has against many of the other high tier threats.

The main problem with Fini is still in the lack of reliable recovery, and as such a reliable Wish-passer is required for Fini to always be healthy to check the relevant threats. Fortunately, Clefable is a really solid partner in a double-Fairy defensive core for balance. Also happens that bulky Ground types like Hippowdon as well as Flying types like Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Moltres etc are excellent partners which also got better since Zygarde and Kyubey can no longer set-up on them for free.

Last edited:
I wanted to share some love for Adamant Scarf Darmanitan:

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Trick

Poor guy is in RU now yet I still find it a very fun mon to use in OU. You would be running a kinda slow scarf compared to others, yet it still outspeeds everything non-scarfed bar Regieleki. And even if you ran Jolly you would need to run away from scarf Latios and scarf Base 100s. The rewards of Adamant can be sweet:

:Kartana: :Pheromosa: KO'd by Flare Blitz /U-turn momentum if they run away

:Heatran: Predict the switch and quake it

:Toxapex: 252+ Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Nidoking: 252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 366-432 (120.7 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Spectrier: 252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Spectrier: 444-523 (130.2 - 153.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Cinderace: KO by quake / U-turn momentum if it runs away/ U-turn high damage if Suckerpunch

:Blaziken: Even after one speed boost is still slower and gets KO'd by quake

:Melmetal: 252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 434-512 (91.9 - 108.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

:Magearna: lol

And that's without counting other fast attackers that receive neutral damage from FB yet barely survive or they simply don't. It can't be burned. And also Trick that needs no explanation and does wonders crippling Clefable :Clefable:, Mandibuzz :Mandibuzz:, Zapdos :Zapdos:, Pert :Swampert: , Dnite :Dragonite: . Sure you gotta run away (not turn) from every Lando-T but that's a fair price and your team should be ready for Lando-T anyway.

:Victini:
Of course Victini is the competition here but Flare Blitz does more damage than V-Create thanks to Darm's massive Atk stat and Sheer Force. And Earthquake is better against Heatran than Bolt Strike. The speed tier feels a lot more comfortable on Victini but if it's scarf it's weaker, and if it's Jolly Banded we now have two different kind of mons (scarfer and wallbreaker) so you can't really say one is better than the other, both are great at what they do.

Overall fun mon that needs some prediction, looking for someone to make it shine.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Nidoking didnt receive changes, but the tier has positioned itslef in such a way that Nidoking's talents are better suited.
I actually disagree lol I think it's actually a lot worse in the current tier by a pretty hefty amount. but what do i know, i just only used it for several gens with great success but whatever. I think nidoqueen is a lot better this gen in this tier which is why I brought it up

bmc023 : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-memetagame-discussion-was-a-mistake.3621042/post-7696289
I wish they logged chats in ou but this part of the thread is a good example

Last edited:
You know, I'm actually surprised that the Dauntless Shield glitch on the Calculator has yet to be fixed. I don't blame the coders since no one cares about Zamazenta (and I'll be honest, I didn't notice it either).

But anyway, the people have spoken and many players would like to see Zamazenta-C tested for OU.
I have already given my opinion on the matter before, and Kyurem-B/Zygarde being banned hasn't changed the fact that its combination of power, bulk, and speed would be too much for OU.

During the inevitable test for Zam-C, I think people should use or look out for some of these sets.

More Standard sets:
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Rusted Shield
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Howl
- Close Combat
- Behemoth Bash/Crunch/Iron Head
- Wild Charge/Ice Fang

This is going to be one of the most common sets you'll find with Zamazenta-C. Howl is undesirable, but it's the best Zamazenta-C has to offer with power, as it can not hold an item like other 130 Atk Pokemon can. At least it has more PP than Haze, so it can actually Stall out a Toxapex trying to Haze it. Close Combat 1 of 3 (yes 3) Physical fighting attacks it can use, the other 2 being reversal and revenge, so Close Combat is going to the standard STAB move. Behemoth Bash/Iron Head is its other STAB, the former having more power, while the latter has more PP while still having respectable power, and both hit Fairy super effectively and Ghost and Psychic neutrally. Crunch is able to hit Ghost and Psychic types super effectively. Wild Charge is able to hit Slowbro and Toxapex if you lack Crunch, and Ice Fang for Landorus-T. The 236 Speed and neutral nature makes sure Zamazenta-C outspeeds positive nature base 110s. Zamazenta-C really needs Adamant for more power, but if you go Jolly, 248 EVs will have you outspeed +1 neutral nature Blaziken. The 20 HP isn't much, but it helps Zamazenta-C survive.
And btw, look at how bulky this mon is.
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. +1 20 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 284-336 (86 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
1/8th of a chance to survive a Close Combat from Choice Band Urshifu, with just 20 HP EVs. Barely any investment. So Zamazenta-C has the bulk to set up properly.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Behemoth Bash
- Wild Charge

A nearly unstoppable cleaner. Zamazenta-C, with the combination of Bulk and its serviceable power can carve through a weakened team with ease, and there will be very little retaliation that they can do to stop Zamazenta-C. It's bulk with just 252 HP is astronomically bulky. Not even an Adamant CB Landorus-T's Earthquake can OHKO it.
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 282-332 (72.6 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
at +2 Spe, you outspeed nearly everything, even when uninvested. The things that can outspeed you at +2 require set up or multiple Pokemon (such as Hawlucha with Terrain and Excadrill with Sand). None of those Pokemon are able to KO Zamazenta-C either.
However, since Zamazenta-C in this set lacks Howl, you really have to weaken the opponent's team before hand.

Some good teammates:
Rapid Spinners and Defoggers:
Hazard removers is going to be pretty essential for Zamazenta-C, as spikes are going to be one of Zamazenta-C's counter play. Having no leftovers, Heavy Duty Boots, and the only recovery being Rest, Spikes will become extremely popular as a means to deal with Zamazenta-C and for helping Zamazenta-C to score KOs. Since it's immune to non-Corrosive Toxic, Sand, having titanic bulk, and being x4 resistant Stealth Rock, it's very resilient to residual damage. Only Hail, burns, Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, and of course Spikes. Rapid Spin will most likely be preferred due to the allowance of keeping up your own hazards on the field. Those same Rapid Spins, like Pheromosa and Regieleki, can par well as they can use U-turn and Volt Switch, while also bait in defensive Pokemon such as Toxapex or Ferrothorn, or flat out beat Pokemon such as Moltres and Tornadus-T for Zamazenta-C. Good defoggers can help aid Zamazenta-C too. Defoggers that can threaten Toxapex are appreciated, and those who can absorb burns easily. Depending on the coverage you pack on Zamazenta-C, you should adjust accordingly.

Clerics/Healers:
The other of Zamazenta-C's weaknesses is its lack of healing outside of Rest, which takes several turns to use. So having a Cleric to heal your Zamazenta-C can definitely be worth it. It's extremely hard to kill directly, even without investment, as it can tank the strongest super effective hits OU has to offer with ease. Now imagine the frustration a player must feel, after having gotten a half HP on Zamazenta-C only for it to immediately be healed up, or for you to had a chance of status it, for it to have a teammate cure that status. Dragonite is a great Pokemon for Heal Belling Zamazenta-C as it also gets Defog as well as being only weak to Ice, Dragon, Rock, and Fairy, 3 being resisted by Zamazenta, and Fairies being cleaved by Zamazenta-C. Meanwhile, Dragonite also resists Fighting/Fire, and is immune to Ground. Clefable is also a good option as it can pass wishes to Zamazenta-C, and also can absorb status very well.

:Heatran::Magnezone:
Like any Pokemon, Trappers are always a pretty good teammate. While Zamazenta-c can win a 1v1 against Pex, Skarm, and Corviknight, it would prefer not to waste all its Close Combat PP or be burned by Scald. So getting to trap these pesky stops is greatly appreciated on Zamazenta-C's part.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but back in ORAS nidoking was brought up as an exceptional counter to the flagship OU queenie Clef Moonblast/CM/Softboiled/TWAVE set. Nidoking will always have a solid niche in switching into a mon on a third-to half of all teams and proceeding to fire off an attack that will either be resisted by Lando-T or bop it with ice beam. If Clef is at the top of OU, Nidoking will carve out a niche as a balance breaker with at least 2 guaranteed switch ins per match.

Last edited:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Behemoth Bash
- Wild Charge

A nearly unstoppable cleaner. Zamazenta-C, with the combination of Bulk and its serviceable power can carve through a weakened team with ease, and there will be very little retaliation that they can do to stop Zamazenta-C. It's bulk with just 252 HP is astronomically bulky. Not even an Adamant CB Landorus-T's Earthquake can OHKO it.
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 282-332 (72.6 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
at +2 Spe, you outspeed nearly everything, even when uninvested. The things that can outspeed you at +2 require set up or multiple Pokemon (such as Hawlucha with Terrain and Excadrill with Sand). None of those Pokemon are able to KO Zamazenta-C either.
However, since Zamazenta-C in this set lacks Howl, you really have to weaken the opponent's team before hand.
I know you mentioned not needing Speed investment, but I think it's worth it to at least outspeed Jolly Rush Excadrill unless you absolutely need 252 HP for something I'm not aware of. All you need is 44 Speed EVs to do so at +2, which barely cuts into its bulk like at all. The Bandorus hit is still taken fairly comfortably lmao: 252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 212 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 282-332 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, you'd need way more investment for Adamant max Speed Hawlucha; 176 Speed to be exact, which I don't find to be worth it, personally.

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Opinions on some of my favorite (and least favorite) shit to use.
Good shit
:ss/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 8 HP / 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Hex
- U-turn/Shadow Ball
- Dragon Darts
- Thunder Wave/Wisp
Outspeeds Modest Mosa and garuntees a 3hko on Bliss. If -Spdef nature, 8 HP garuntees you will always live a cinderace sucker punch from full. Otherwise, just dump the 8 hp in Atk. Or keep it there, its pretty miniscule. Thunder is an option over Status for if you're confident to connect them and want to dominate Tapu Fini while still spreading status. Would not recommend unless you're a several time lottery ticket winner, or using Rain Pult for..some reason.
This should not surprise literally any person ever but Dragapult is still amazing. It excels in pretty much every offensive matchup and maintains great activity vs fat teams due to its spammable stab and proficiency in spreading status. This is still a top 10 mon, you can slap this on a huge amount of teams and have it work, between Specs, Hex, and the admittedly semi niche DD (the rise of non Fplay Mandi helps it a little). This mon isn't any worse, give it a shot and put down HDB Mosa for a bit, the defensive utility and a downright busted stab is well worth the barely noticeable speed loss and more noticable moveslot issues.
:ss/Amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet/Black Sludge/HDB
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play/Stomping Tantrum/Stun Spore
Zneon got to Amoong before I could muster up the give a damn to write a decently lengthy post again so I won't talk about this for too long, but one thing really worth keeping in mind with this mon is that its the ONLY Specs Magearna switchin that doesn't take so much from Volt Switch that it can't consistently regen it off, which is a really big deal, not to mention it blanks Specs Mage lacking Flash Cannon entirely, though Fluer does do about 49% because Magearna is a balanced pokemon, so be wary about letting it drop too low.
:ss/terrakion:
Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn/Aerial Ace
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Wanna hit Buzzwole or Slowbro? Up to u gamer.
Walls do not exist here, only Stone Edge misses.
Ok but seriously, this benefits a lot from Moltres and Zapdos being, well, a thing, and functions as a pretty damn solid Balance breaker, getting plenty of oppurtunities off of Heatran, Urshifu, and just general pivoting. Also Future Sight but you could pair a brick with Future Sight and it would be unwallable so lul. Anyways, Its stabs are stupid spammable and this metagame is alot more kind to it than the prediction hell that was beating Clef+Corv+Pex with 8 Stone Edges. Give it a shot if you're tired of Urshifu and want something with a bit more speed and surprise factor to it, fun mon.

Good shit but I Don't Really Have as Much to Say
:ss/latios:
All its sets are amazing man lol
Busted mon with solid defensive utility, if i can fit this on a team its an invaluable member both offensively and defensively. Specs w/ Stabs Mystical Trick and Life Orb Roost both put in tons of work consistently and are a pain to switch into, while being reasonably quick compared to wallbreakers of its caliber, which you usually find around the base 90 speed tier.
:ss/garchomp:
Same deal as Latios
This mon is infinitely useful in pretty much every MU, like it's a garchomp, if you weren't expecting greatness you're crazy. SD, Tankchomp, and CB (mostly a cheesy set I won't lie lol) combine make up a pretty splashable and consistent mon. Top 15 mon at least, Its just really not a mon you should need explained much lol.
:ss/aegislash:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute/King's Shield
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
there's probably a more optimized spread but w/e lol
Blanks pretty much every Mosa (Throat Chop is practically non existent) and dominates teams who use Ttar/Blissey as their Ghost resist (Spoiler: A whole lot of them RN). Abuse your broken typing to get an entry point and sit there spamming Shadow Ball behind a Sub/with the safety of King's Shield to scout.
:ss/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 56 SpA / 100 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
It's like a Mandibuzz but its weak to bug in exchange for holding Lefties and hard checking Heatran, while dealing with Spectrier a bit better. It isn't an Excadrill switchin so that can cause some weird problems while trying to build around it. V useful on sun and a neat fat team pick.
:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
Local massive steel boy has no switchins besides Corviknight, more at 8.
Good set, give it a try if you're tired of CB's prediction heavy nature and AV's hatred of Recover spam.
:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Protective Pads
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
It's a good breaker and Protective Pads let you Knock Zappy+Molt to break past later on in the game with zero risk. Definitely a great, consistent breaker with solid defensive use in checking SD Rilla, Urshi-Rapid, Kartana, etc. Use the paper cut, its a cool mon.

Dissapointing
:ss/victini:
HDB mixed sets are cool I guess but CB is ultra prediction reliant and Cinderace exists as a much more sustainable, speedy, and versatile Fire that has more power behind its non Fire moves.
:ss/blacephalon:
Specs is very mediocre and suffers from not having multiple choice items to trick VS fat and Scarf is ok but there's other forms of speed control that don't require as much support as this one. SubCM is just blatantly terrible and Spectrier does what that set wants to do better while remaining more useful VS. Balancey builds.
:ss/hawlucha:
It's absolutely worthless vs. Fat and HO has a lot more options to handle it nowadays. Next to no setup opportunities and a lot of Mosa/Urshi prep overlaps with this.

I'm not gonna touch on the easy like bait bannables because honestly its just really boring and I wanted to talk about mons I cared enough about while using to form an opinion on them.

Last edited:
Opinions on some of my favorite (and least favorite) shit to use.
Good shit
:ss/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 8 HP / 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Hex
- U-turn/Shadow Ball
- Dragon Darts
- Thunder Wave/Wisp
Outspeeds Modest Mosa and garuntees a 3hko on Bliss. If -Spdef nature, 8 HP garuntees you will always live a cinderace sucker punch from full. Otherwise, just dump the 8 hp in Atk. Or keep it there, its pretty miniscule. Thunder is an option over Status for if you're confident to connect them and want to dominate Tapu Fini while still spreading status. Would not recommend unless you're a several time lottery ticket winner, or using Rain Pult for..some reason.
This should not surprise literally any person ever but Dragapult is still amazing. It excels in pretty much every offensive matchup and maintains great activity vs fat teams due to its spammable stab and proficiency in spreading status. This is still a top 10 mon, you can slap this on a huge amount of teams and have it work, between Specs, Hex, and the admittedly semi niche DD (the rise of non Fplay Mandi helps it a little). This mon isn't any worse, give it a shot and put down HDB Mosa for a bit, the defensive utility and a downright busted stab is well worth the barely noticeable speed loss and more noticable moveslot issues.
:ss/Amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet/Black Sludge/HDB
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play/Stomping Tantrum/Stun Spore
Zneon get to Amoong before I could muster up the give a damn to write a decently lengthy post again so I won't talk about this for too long, but one thing really worth keeping in mind with this mon is that its the ONLY Specs Magearna switchin that doesn't take so much from Volt Switch that it can't consistently regen it off, which is a really big deal, not to mention it blanks Specs Mage lacking Flash Cannon entirely, though Fluer does do about 49% because Magearna is a balanced pokemon, so be wary about letting it drop too low.
:ss/terrakion:
Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn/Aerial Ace
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Wanna hit Buzzwole or Slowbro? Up to u gamer.
Walls do not exist here, only Stone Edge misses.
Ok but seriously, this benefits a lot from Moltres and Zapdos being, well, a thing, and functions as a pretty damn solid Balance breaker, getting plenty of oppurtunities off of Heatran, Urshifu, and just general pivoting. Also Future Sight but you could pair a brick with Future Sight and it would be unwallable so lul. Anyways, Its stabs are stupid spammable and this metagame is alot more kind to it than the prediction hell that was beating Clef+Corv+Pex with 8 Stone Edges. Give it a shot if you're tired of Urshifu and want something with a bit more speed and surprise factor to it, fun mon.

Good shit but I Don't Really Have as Much to Say
:ss/latios:
All its sets are amazing man lol
Busted mon with solid defensive utility, if i can fit this on a team its an invaluable member both offensively and defensively. Specs w/ Stabs Mystical Trick and Life Orb Roost both put in tons of work consistently and are a pain to switch into, while being reasonably quick compared to wallbreakers of its caliber, which you usually find around the base 90 speed tier.
:ss/garchomp:
Same deal as Latios
This mon is infinitely useful in pretty much every MU, like it's a garchomp, if you weren't expecting greatness you're crazy. SD, Tankchomp and CB (mostly a cheesy set I won't lie lol) combine make up a pretty splashable and consistent mon. Top 15 mon at least, Its just really not a mon you should need explained much lol.
:ss/aegislash:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute/King's Shield
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
there's probably a more optimized spread but w/e lol
Blanks pretty much every Mosa (Throat Chop is practically non existent) and dominates teams who use Ttar/Blissey as their Ghost resist (Spoiler: A whole lot of them RN). Abuse your broken typing to get an entry point and sit there spamming Shadow Ball behind a Sub/with the safety of King's Shield to scout.
:ss/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 56 SpA / 100 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
It's like a Mandibuzz but its weak to bug in exchange for holding Lefties and hard checking Heatran, while dealing with Spectrier a bit better. It isn't an Excadrill switchin so that can cause some weird problems while trying to build around it. V useful on sun and a neat fat team pick.
:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
Local massive steel boy has no switchins besides Corviknight, more at 8.
Good set, give it a try if you're tired of CB's prediction heavy nature and AV's hatred of Recover spam.
:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Protective Pads
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
It's a good breaker and Protective Pads let you Knock Zappy+Molt risk free to break past later on in the game with zero risk. Definitely a great, consistent breaker with solid defensive use in checking SD Rilla, Urshi-Rapid, Kartana, etc. Use the paper cut, its a cool mon.

Dissapointing
:ss/victini:
HDB mixed sets are cool I guess but CB is ultra prediction reliant and Cinderace exists as a much more sustainable, speedy, and versatile Fire that has more power behind its non Fire moves.
:ss/blacephalon:
Specs is very mediocre and suffers from not having multiple choice items to trick VS fat and Scarf is ok but there's other forms of speed control that don't require as much support as this one. SubCM is just blatantly terrible and Spectrier does what that set wants to do better while remaining more useful VS. Balancey builds.
:ss/hawlucha:
It's absolutely worthless vs. Fat and HO has a lot more options to handle it nowadays. Next to no setup opportunities and a lot of Mosa/Urshi prep overlaps with this.

I'm not gonna touch on the easy like bait bannables because honestly its just really boring and I wanted to talk about mons I cared enough about while using to form an opinion on them.
Just info: the 8 HP EVs on Pult should go 100% to defense. Not even a question. Did you know that 8 defense EVs on Pult make sure that Pult will always live an adamant Cinderace Sucker Punch from full. That's why I always use 248 spatk on my pults. Little known fact but very useful.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Haven't made a post in a while, and had good responses and discussion on the last one I did, so why not? Let's talk about something else today. :blobwizard:

:tyranitar: :excadrill:
(click for import)

I've always been a big sucker of sand ever since SM's Mega Tyranitar + Exca teams, a simple yet effective core that can fulfill a plethora of roles single-handedly, therefore, is a good core to utilize in SS OU. This core simply achieves so many things on its own. First, the core provides you both a defensive and an offensive counterplay against Spectrier. Tyranitar doesn't mind too much Spectrier thanks to Rest, having an option to nullify Will-o is so great. The sandstorm does two things, one being boosting Tyranitar's Sp. Def even higher while the other is nullifying the Leftovers recovery. Even when Tyranitar is burnt it is a slightly favorable roll to break Substitute of Spectrier with 3 Hits coming from Rock Blast. As for Excadrill, it can outspeed Scarf Spectrier under Sandstorm, how cool is that! Moving on, this core covers much-needed hazards. Tyranitar provides Stealth Rock while Excadrill removes entry hazards. Rapid Spin boosting Speed also occasionally allows Excadrill to be threatening without the assistance of Sandstorm.

Teammates like Clefable, Tangrowth, and Slowbro/Slowking make excellent partners for the core. Carrying Knock Off and Thunder Wave, Clefable can cripple about anything and create more openings for Excadrill, while uncommon Heal Bell can be used to cure the sleep of Tyranitar. Moreover having Magic Guard as its ability allows Clefable to absorb status for the two as well. In terms of utility, Tangrowth shares a similar goal, spreading sleep and removing items with Knock Off. It's typing also patches the core's biggest two weaknesses by covering Water- and Ground-types. It is ridiculously bulky physically, so can make good use of Rocky Helmet against foes like Band Melmetal and Band Urshifu and punish U-turn users like Landorus-T, while Regenerator only compliments its physical bulk by allowing it to regain lost HP without risk. Slowbro works well as an addition to the two Pokemon as well, along with the core. They prevent Cinderace from 6-0ing you, and risk-free pivoting with Teleport against fat stuff is extremely helpful to Excadrill. Future Sight forces in undesired switches and causes unwanted 50-50s for your opponent, and they make good Regenerator cores with Tangrowth.

It is laughable to compare Regieleki to Spectrier, when it:

1) Has a significantly worse stab, as there’s plenty of good ground types;
2) Has even worse defenses and no substitute, making priority a bigger issue for it;
3) Has no utility outside of screens, explosion, and rapid spin, and sets with those aren’t really sweeping sets;
4) Doesn’t have an ability that boosts its special attack after every KO; and
5) Has no way to break past the things that beat it (outside of... choice band assurance after they switch into hazards while you get a critical hit? Or explosion, but then you’re out for the count too)

Regieleki has a niche as a fast screens setter that can either boom or deal good damage with transistor electric moves, and choice sets are workable if you build teams around them, but the two aren’t really all that comparable.

Spectrier absolutely deserves to be looked at once things settle though, it’s annoying as hell and probably over centralizing
I think what they do have in common is they're matchup reliant. A well prepared team will keep either from accomplishing much of anything, though a team weak to either is in for a rough time. I'd contrast this with something like Volcarona which is a good Pokemon but can be played around in many cases without specific attention in the team builder. I think what makes Spectrier a bigger problem though is that it can only be prepared for with a much smaller pool of choices than Regieleki. I think Regieleki would only be a problem down the road if the strategies it enables demands a much smaller set of countermeasures.

Pluim

formerly goodra4thewin
I'd say that when it comes to spectrier people are getting too focused on the fact that spectrier can beat any of its' counters and forget that to beat its' counters spectrier needs to sacrifice the ability to fight other counters or forms of counterplay. for example, to counter blissey, it absolutely needs CM, disable and a non ghost attacking move.Thats 3 moves that it's not running because it wants to(if it could get away with it, it would prefer nasty plot to CM, coverage to disable and not to be forced to forgo either a STAB attack or substitute), and it heavily reduces its' general power. Also, people forget that you can counterplay it as a team. Take for example that set that counters blissey. Does it still counter it if toxic spikes are up? hell no it dies before being able to CM. This is where you would say "but then you need 2 pokemon to take care of one"; but can you honestly say that you are using blissey, the best all around special wall in the tier, JUST to take care of spectrier? Or that you are using toxic spikes just to counter spectrier? In general I'd say people expect to just take care of an opposing pokemon by sending in one of your dudes that counters it, but I'd say it's kinda nice to have to use combinations of moves and pokemon to handle different things, if those moves and pokemon can do other useful things outside of countering that pokemon.

Also it kinda needs to be said, sometimes spectrier will just clean house. It's a cleaner pokemon, it wouldnt suck if it couldn't do it. it can absolutely kill like 4-5 pokemon in a sweep and that's what you will remember, and not how your opponent got to this situation by chipping your resist, killing your special wall and checking for scarfers on your team as well as possibly keeping the field clear of tspikes,screens and other stuff that heavily hinders it.

That said, I do think the pokemon is very powerful and absolutely capable of some ridiculous feats, and that there is exists some variant of it that 6-0s any or almost any team, but for every variant that does that to your specific team, there are like 5 variants that don't, and can indeed feel very weak against what you specifically are running (like any choice set against ttar or blissey, or hell even urshifu or something like that). It's like everyone has that one traumatic experience with it that makes them imagine a monster spectrier coming in out of the gate with +1 spattack, a sub and 6 moveslots every game, and that is coloring their perception of it.

I will say that I'm writing this not as a way to say spectrier is weak or something, it's obviously not, but just as a person that doesn't like the idea of prematurely banning stuff, and instead leaving time to try to adapt to it, and only using bans as a far off last resort to things, and I might also be playing a bit of the devil's advocate here, which I like doing whenever people are starting to put attention to potential problems to offer a bit of a counterpoint, just for due consideration.
Sorry for the short one, I just need to say; The problem is Spectrier's checks have to get lucky which set they are running. The problem comes when you are facing it and you are unsure what set it is, so you have to guess what it is running. Most teams have 2 Spectrier checks at best, and being there as many sets as there are, you have to guess what set Spectrier is running. If you choose wrong, you are put in a huge disadvantage, even losing if it can snowball. Just because it can't beat every mon with one set doesn't say it is fair, look at Dracovish. Seismitoad was on most teams, yet it was banned. Spectrier forces the opponent to make a guess on what you are running, turning the game into pure chance.

I've always been a big sucker of sand
I just want to quickly bandwagon off of this to post a set that's a little bit cute, but still quite useful when you can pull it off - Weather Ball + Nasty Plot Tornadus-T in Sand. This allows you to, primarily, hit and kill Zapdos, that would otherwise wall you, with Weather Ball (Rock).

This allows Tornadus-T to more comfortably break teams that it otherwise could not, while also enabling Excadrill, which is also otherwise walled by Zapdos (unless you squeeze rock slide onto its set). Zapdos is quite decent right now, and serves as a very nice check to common variants of both Tornadus-T and Excadrill - this set essentially seeks to punish teams that rely on Zapdos in these match-ups by cleanly removing it, rather than trying to overwhelm it with Hurricane + Sand chip.

What moves and spread you use on Tornadus-T are entirely up to personal preference and the needs of the team; what is required however, are the moves Weather Ball and Nasty Plot, as well as 128SpA Ev's to guarantee the OHKO on max HP Zapdos at +2, if using Heavy Duty Boots over Life Orb. I favor boots myself, as the extra longevity is nice when you are often chipped by sand, but Life Orb does allow you to break Blissey & Chansey with Focus Blast much more easily if sand is not up.

Sample set:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Knock Off / U-Turn / Defog
- Weather Ball
- Nasty Plot

The calculation for Weather Ball (Rock) vs Zapdos is provided here:

+2 128 SpA Tornadus-Therian Weather Ball (100 BP Rock) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Sand: 384-452 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO .

:kyurem:
Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 244 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost

Loved this guy in SM and it's back and better than ever. I've been playing around with dual Pressure core (with :Suicune:) after seeing someone mention it earlier in this thread and it's really good. Ice/Ground is nearly perfect neutral coverage as shown with Mamoswine, and Freeze Dry just makes it better.

Most standard balance's only check to it is Blissey or Clefable, and both are taken advantage of by the ever-splashable best mon in OU Heatran. Many teams have no switch ins and with HDBs Kyurem has insane longevity. In a pinch, it can also do some ridiculous feats with Pressure, like stall out eight or ten of Clefable's Moonblasts 1v1 in a pinch. EVs hit 404HP and speed to creep max speed Heatran.

I played my Suicune pretty poorly but here's an example replay vs standard offense that gets straight up 6-0'd by Kyurem as it comes in freely on Slowking and Subs up whenever it wants: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1231098018-76gruugd568ya5vl8kbv7cf3raf3fbppw

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
this is true in SM too; this was not caused by regieleki, lol.
to be fair, this isnt true at all in SM. you didnt really need a ground type like at all in SM, and I straight up didn't run one and go to the top of the ladder a few times. last gen this was caused or rather pushed solely by tapu koko --- which I have said on many occasions is broken. Ast0rga brings up a pretty good point that ive actually said in chat but no on forums and it's definitely worth looking into, because it actually was caused by the regi. that shit kos dragons from full. it's actually pretty ridiculous how constrained things are

Last edited:
I wanna talk about :Slowbro: and complex bans in general. I know this is a can of worms, but I do think it merits some more discussion, even after so long.

Firstly, TeleSight or FuturePort or whatever, it's dangerous when combined with a sweeper. I don't think any OU viable mon can tank Band-Urshifu-SS + FuturePort, and the combination is very spammable, as any Psychic resist is hit hard by both of Urshifu's stabs and power. FuturePort is also busted as it is a slow pivot, allowing fast HO pokemon to be brought in for free, as well as giving :Slowbro: free healing, ready to come out for another FuturePort combo.

I think we can all agree that :Urshifu: and the other mons this combo is used with, like :Melmetal: :Cinderace: :Pheromosa: :Magearna: , all of which are potentially ban-worthy, however, like Jordy said, all of them are fairly manageable with a good balance team.

We can all also agree that :Slowbro: normally is fine, he's a valuble check to many physical threats in the meta, and with Teleport, he's a great slow pivot that fills the role of a bulky water quite well.

FuturePort + Sweeper on the other hand, is ridiculous to deal with more than once, and there are more threats than just FuturePort in the meta.

This is where I have to go into uncharted territory, I think Complex Bans are fine and really should be implemented.

*BOOs from the Smogon Council*

Here me out, I have been a non-contributing member since the Gen 6 Lando-I ban, and I have seen many anti-Complex Ban arguments, most of which I feel aren't quite convincing.

Let me also iterate and reiterate the fact that this post/ramble is no attack or insult at any of the members of the Council, the main purpose of this post is to find an actually convincing argument against complex bans. If this gets actually considered, which it most likely won't, I'd be pretty happy

Let me address the most common ones:-

1. The slippery slope.​

I hate this fallacy with a burning passion, not cos of Smogon though, it makes no sense to me and I'll show why.​
The common answer that has the SS fallacy says that if we ban X combo of moves, what is stopping Y combo from being banned? What is stopping Z combo from being banned? They claim that there's nothing that stops people for clamoring for the next complex ban.​
Here's my response, the OU council has tried its best to be transparent and even though I don't agree with every decision they make (and I don't even have to), they have shown that they are very capable handling a community the size of OU. The recent SS OU survey further proves my point. The fact that Zaz-C is even being considered for a serious OU test speaks volumes to how much they are willing to accommodate, but also restrict at the same time.​
I sincerely believe that the majority of the player base is mature enough to understand that everything that they lose to isn't broken, equating that those players know the difference between a strong mon and an OP one, like :Landorus-Therian: in SM OU. I don't think any person in the top 500 or even 1000 thought seriously that Lando-T needs to be banned.​
Yes, there are the immature players who clamor for a :Toxapex: ban just cos Finchinator suggested it in IoA, but the council has shown that, outside of mild annoyance, they can handle them fairly well. I believe that they can discard those suggestions too.​
What does this mean? This means that the genuinely competitive members of the community and the council can easily discuss and limit how far a complex ban discussion goes.​
Here's an example​
Let's take :Cinderace: retest in IoA​
The council can make a list of options or "negotiations" to show the limits that they are willing to go for the bans​
  • Option 1 - No ban
  • Option 2 - Complex Ban: HDB + :Cinderace:
  • Option 3 - Complex Ban: U-Turn is not allowed on :Cinderace:
  • Option 4 - Full Ban
Of course this is an example, but it illustrates my point. You can keep a Mon in the tier, who normally would rock through the tier, in a neutered state to be a somewhat healthy presence in the meta.​
You could do the same with :Slowbro:
  • Option 1 - No Ban
  • Option 2 - Complex Ban: Teleport and Future Sight aren't allowed on the same set for :Slowbro:
  • Option 3 - Complex Ban: Teleport and Future Sight aren't allowed on the same set for any mon
  • Option 4 - Full Ban on Teleport
  • Option 5 - Full Ban on :Slowbro:

Option 5 isn't optimal as Slowbro is used to check so much, like :Blaziken: if this mon will ever be used. Option 1 wouldn't be too well appreciated by most people, as it really isn't too fun to play against. You are left with complex Bans, with varying levels of complexity. You will always leave someone disgruntled with either option, at least this system allows some compromise on all sides, which I believe is key for a healthy community.​
The Council can moderate the options to their wish here too, and the slippery slope doesn't come into play as long as the Council is united in their approach, which really shouldn't be too hard, you really can't have infighting while presiding over a community like this, especially when every sub-OU tier has to emulate it as well.​
The slippery slope just doesn't come into play, unless you take every suggestion seriously (I guess this also falls there too)​
2. It's too Complex for newer players​
Again, this just doesn't make too much sense either, Smogon is already complicated for many newer players, and it does take some time to get used to and Complex Bans don't help out much in this regard, many people that I know who joined Smogon were perplexed at the existence of tiers, clauses like Sleep, Baton and Evasion, as well as the fact that some abilities were just illegal, even though they were shown to be available, as well as different Pokemon forms and the fact that some mons have to be shiny to have a particular move.​
You could make a valid case that those examples aren't too egregious compared to Complex Bans, but most new people just go to AG and dick around with either an legendary team or the PIMPNITE team that they saw once, I don't think we are being too intimidating by adding some more Bans (with proper discourse and reasoning of course)​
Furthermore, the number of great guides of newer players has massively increased, BKC's and Finchinator's channels are the ones that come to my mind rn.​

3. Would it help much?​
Whenever people bring this argument, they bring up Aldaron's Proposal, which was extremely controversial and arguably useless.​
I'd argue that a lot has changed since Aldaron's, the Council and the Players have become more experienced overall, and I believe that there is a very large possibility that Complex Bans could help, as shown with the examples above.​
It frankly depends on the Complex Ban, and for that, I'd ask the following questions-​
  • Is the mon an unhealthy part of the meta? Or at the very least, does this mon have no genuine benefits for not being banned?
  • Does this mon constrict team building excessively?
  • Is there no one specific part of the mon which is broken?
If the answer to all of those questions is definitely yes, you are better off using a regular ban. If the answers are mixed, a complex ban might be the better option.​
Let's take :Genesect:
It was unhealthy, it constricted team building and there wasn't any thing about the mon that wasn't broken (Definitely yes to all three questions)​
Let's take :Slowbro:
It's unhealthy with just FuturePort, it isn't very constricting outside of that and the broken aspects of it is FuturePort in conjunction with sweepers. (The answers are mixed, and an OP part of the mon is easily identifiable, thus, a Complex Ban would be better than a straight up ban)​
There is an actual argument I found against complex bans, if the meta shifts enough, the threat would be easier to handle. I'll give an example of something that was ban-able, but later became easier to handle without any new movepool changes or introduction of new Pokémon added to the tier - :Altaria-Mega:
This thing was genuinely being considered as an Uber in early ORAS, yet it later became mediocre. In fact, it feels laughable to even consider it as a potential Uber, considering its middling performance last gen. If the Council were rash, impatient and only willing to hear just a select few people, they'd ban it ASAP. However, that is proven to be not the case at all.​
I feel this should be applied to Complex Bans too, who knows if fucking Flareon comes as a FuturePort counter later on​
I think FuturePort is something that needs to be looked at soon, it is very hard to handle and constricts teambuilding too much

Thank you for reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I personally would like some complex bans, I truly believe that with proper care, they'd help the tier grow and become healthier
Edit: This post is stupid, disregard it, I'll go back to lurking and playing UU​

Last edited:
You can keep a Mon in the tier, who normally would rock through the tier, in a neutered state to be a sTagomewhat healthy presence in the meta.
And here's the point where the argument falls flat. The issue here (as I understand it) is that Smogon does not tier nerfed Pokémon except in very rare cases. (These being Arena Trap/Shadow Tag, Evasion, etc. As it was clear those were busted on anything) All tierings are based on the full potential of a mon, and if the council has the power to decide what a mon can do or not, what would the point of tiers even be?

Not to mention is is far easier to just ban Cinderace instead of arguing and wasting time on what exactly makes it busted (if ace ever was) when banning U-Turn on it might not even solve the problem.

One other problem is nerfing too much: if it was such a drastic nerf, the mon can loose viability to the point where it drops a tier. At that point, the mon uses the broken set in the tier below the one it was considered broken in.

This is the situation as I understand it.

I wanna talk about :Slowbro: and complex bans in general. I know this is a can of worms, but I do think it merits some more discussion, even after so long.

Firstly, TeleSight or FuturePort or whatever, it's dangerous when combined with a sweeper. I don't think any OU viable mon can tank Band-Urshifu-SS + FuturePort, and the combination is very spammable, as any Psychic resist is hit hard by both of Urshifu's stabs and power. FuturePort is also busted as it is a slow pivot, allowing fast HO pokemon to be brought in for free, as well as giving :Slowbro: free healing, ready to come out for another FuturePort combo.

I think we can all agree that :Urshifu: and the other mons this combo is used with, like :Melmetal: :Cinderace: :Pheromosa: :Magearna: , all of which are potentially ban-worthy, however, like Jordy said, all of them are fairly manageable with a good balance team.

We can all also agree that :Slowbro: normally is fine, he's a valuble check to many physical threats in the meta, and with Teleport, he's a great slow pivot that fills the role of a bulky water quite well.

FuturePort + Sweeper on the other hand, is ridiculous to deal with more than once, and there are more threats than just FuturePort in the meta.

This is where I have to go into uncharted territory, I think Complex Bans are fine and really should be implemented.

*BOOs from the Smogon Council*

Here me out, I have been a non-contributing member since the Gen 6 Lando-I ban, and I have seen many anti-Complex Ban arguments, most of which I feel aren't quite convincing.

Let me also iterate and reiterate the fact that this post/ramble is no attack or insult at any of the members of the Council, the main purpose of this post is to find an actually convincing argument against complex bans. If this gets actually considered, which it most likely won't, I'd be pretty happy

Let me address the most common ones:-

1. The slippery slope.​

I hate this fallacy with a burning passion, not cos of Smogon though, it makes no sense to me and I'll show why.​
The common answer that has the SS fallacy says that if we ban X combo of moves, what is stopping Y combo from being banned? What is stopping Z combo from being banned? They claim that there's nothing that stops people for clamoring for the next complex ban.​
Here's my response, the OU council has tried its best to be transparent and even though I don't agree with every decision they make (and I don't even have to), they have shown that they are very capable handling a community the size of OU. The recent SS OU survey further proves my point. The fact that Zaz-C is even being considered for a serious OU test speaks volumes to how much they are willing to accommodate, but also restrict at the same time.​
I sincerely believe that the majority of the player base is mature enough to understand that everything that they lose to isn't broken, equating that those players know the difference between a strong mon and an OP one, like :Landorus-Therian: in SM OU. I don't think any person in the top 500 or even 1000 thought seriously that Lando-T needs to be banned.​
Yes, there are the immature players who clamor for a :Toxapex: ban just cos Finchinator suggested it in IoA, but the council has shown that, outside of mild annoyance, they can handle them fairly well. I believe that they can discard those suggestions too.​
What does this mean? This means that the genuinely competitive members of the community and the council can easily discuss and limit how far a complex ban discussion goes.​
Here's an example​
Let's take :Cinderace: retest in IoA​
The council can make a list of options or "negotiations" to show the limits that they are willing to go for the bans​
  • Option 1 - No ban
  • Option 2 - Complex Ban: HDB + :Cinderace:
  • Option 3 - Complex Ban: U-Turn is not allowed on :Cinderace:
  • Option 4 - Full Ban
Of course this is an example, but it illustrates my point. You can keep a Mon in the tier, who normally would rock through the tier, in a neutered state to be a somewhat healthy presence in the meta.​
You could do the same with :Slowbro:
  • Option 1 - No Ban
  • Option 2 - Complex Ban: Teleport and Future Sight aren't allowed on the same set for :Slowbro:
  • Option 3 - Complex Ban: Teleport and Future Sight aren't allowed on the same set for any mon
  • Option 4 - Full Ban on Teleport
  • Option 5 - Full Ban on :Slowbro:

Option 5 isn't optimal as Slowbro is used to check so much, like :Blaziken: if this mon will ever be used. Option 1 wouldn't be too well appreciated by most people, as it really isn't too fun to play against. You are left with complex Bans, with varying levels of complexity. You will always leave someone disgruntled with either option, at least this system allows some compromise on all sides, which I believe is key for a healthy community.​
The Council can moderate the options to their wish here too, and the slippery slope doesn't come into play as long as the Council is united in their approach, which really shouldn't be too hard, you really can't have infighting while presiding over a community like this, especially when every sub-OU tier has to emulate it as well.​
The slippery slope just doesn't come into play, unless you take every suggestion seriously (I guess this also falls there too)​
2. It's too Complex for newer players​
Again, this just doesn't make too much sense either, Smogon is already complicated for many newer players, and it does take some time to get used to and Complex Bans don't help out much in this regard, many people that I know who joined Smogon were perplexed at the existence of tiers, clauses like Sleep, Baton and Evasion, as well as the fact that some abilities were just illegal, even though they were shown to be available, as well as different Pokemon forms and the fact that some mons have to be shiny to have a particular move.​
You could make a valid case that those examples aren't too egregious compared to Complex Bans, but most new people just go to AG and dick around with either an legendary team or the PIMPNITE team that they saw once, I don't think we are being too intimidating by adding some more Bans (with proper discourse and reasoning of course)​
Furthermore, the number of great guides of newer players has massively increased, BKC's and Finchinator's channels are the ones that come to my mind rn.​

3. Would it help much?​
Whenever people bring this argument, they bring up Aldaron's Proposal, which was extremely controversial and arguably useless.​
I'd argue that a lot has changed since Aldaron's, the Council and the Players have become more experienced overall, and I believe that there is a very large possibility that Complex Bans could help, as shown with the examples above.​
It frankly depends on the Complex Ban, and for that, I'd ask the following questions-​
  • Is the mon an unhealthy part of the meta? Or at the very least, does this mon have no genuine benefits for not being banned?
  • Does this mon constrict team building excessively?
  • Is there no one specific part of the mon which is broken?
If the answer to all of those questions is definitely yes, you are better off using a regular ban. If the answers are mixed, a complex ban might be the better option.​
Let's take :Genesect:
It was unhealthy, it constricted team building and there wasn't any thing about the mon that wasn't broken (Definitely yes to all three questions)​
Let's take :Slowbro:
It's unhealthy with just FuturePort, it isn't very constricting outside of that and the broken aspects of it is FuturePort in conjunction with sweepers. (The answers are mixed, and an OP part of the mon is easily identifiable, thus, a Complex Ban would be better than a straight up ban)​
There is an actual argument I found against complex bans, if the meta shifts enough, the threat would be easier to handle. I'll give an example of something that was ban-able, but later became easier to handle without any new movepool changes or introduction of new Pokémon added to the tier - :Altaria-Mega:
This thing was genuinely being considered as an Uber in early ORAS, yet it later became mediocre. In fact, it feels laughable to even consider it as a potential Uber, considering its middling performance last gen. If the Council were rash, impatient and only willing to hear just a select few people, they'd ban it ASAP. However, that is proven to be not the case at all.​
I feel this should be applied to Complex Bans too, who knows if fucking Flareon comes as a FuturePort counter later on​
I think FuturePort is something that needs to be looked at soon, it is very hard to handle and constricts teambuilding too much

Thank you for reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I personally would like some complex bans, I truly believe that with proper care, they'd help the tier grow and become healthier
The issue with Complex bans is that they make banlists useless because you can basically make every uber mon balanced by just neutering them.For example
is basically balanced for OU as long as you ban water moves from it.Smogon wants to balance tiers by just simply banning pokemon instead of nerfing them to make them adequate for a tier,and if complex bans are used all the time then that means NOTHING in the metagame is broken

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
That's true. If anything, I'd suggest just ban future sight. That's the only thing that makes Slowbro an incredible pain in the ass. That isn't a too complex ban at all since the move single handedly puts a lot of pressure when used. Complex bans would probably just cause some random arguments like you said like why ban that and not this but just banning one move is a lot easier. They did it with baton pass since it is incredibly overpowered when speed boost is passed into a slow wall breaker. Without future sight, Slowbro would just be the same old where it walls stuff like ground types only this time, it can be a good scout with teleport

And here's the point where the argument falls flat. The issue here (as I understand it) is that Smogon does not tier nerfed Pokémon except in very rare cases. (These being Arena Trap/Shadow Tag, Evasion, etc. As it was clear those were busted on anything) All tierings are based on the full potential of a mon, and if the council has the power to decide what a mon can do or not, what would the point of tiers even be?

Not to mention is is far easier to just ban Cinderace instead of arguing and wasting time on what exactly makes it busted (if ace ever was) when banning U-Turn on it might not even solve the problem.

One other problem is nerfing too much: if it was such a drastic nerf, the mon can loose viability to the point where it drops a tier. At that point, the mon uses the broken set in the tier below the one it was considered broken in.

This is the situation as I understand it.
Thanks for the reply, yeah, I understand the problems with it, especially the time related ones

Should I delete it?

The issue with Complex bans is that they make banlists useless because you can basically make every uber mon balanced by just neutering them.For example
is basically balanced for OU as long as you ban water moves from it.Smogan wants to balance tiers by just simply banning pokemon instead of nerfing them to make them adequate for a tier,and if complex bans are used all the time then that means NOTHING in the metagame is broken
Thanks for the reply

That makes a lot of sense, I knew it was a rather stupid post

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Slowbro is good but there’s a lot of overhype with it as to what it offers by itself and mentions of it being great brush under the rug that breakers / sweepers are primarily the issue under the guise of we can handle them fine and that slowbro is what makes them the issue when its the former. Its a status prone mon that uses a bunch of telegraphed plays to function, furthers the weakness to a variety of set up sweepers and mons such as ursh and spectrier, knock off prone, and it’s mentioned like Future Sight just ohkos everything and thats if you’re even able to pull it off well. The move is actually very matchup dependent certain builds wont like it and others can just brush it off without a care. It also works on certain builds you can’t even plop it on everything without considering the above as opposed to something more splashable like Ursh or Lando-T. It has great defensive utility but even with Future Sight in play its still very passive in a largely offensive meta.

That's true. If anything, I'd suggest just ban future sight. That's the only thing that makes Slowbro an incredible pain in the ass. That isn't a too complex ban at all since the move single handedly puts a lot of pressure when used. Complex bans would probably just cause some random arguments like you said like why ban that and not this but just banning one move is a lot easier. They did it with baton pass since it is incredibly overpowered when speed boost is passed into a slow wall breaker. Without future sight, Slowbro would just be the same old where it walls stuff like ground types only this time, it can be a good scout with teleport
Future Sight isn’t a problem on the vast majority of the Pokemon that get it. Why should Slowbro take it away from everyone? It’s the combo of Teleport+Future Sight+Regenerator (which Slowbro is the best at). If it is such a problem then Slowbro or the breakers are the ones that should be examined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)