who would win in a fight- 1 billion lions or 1 of every pokemon (roughly 900)?

lions or pokemon?

• 1 billion lions

Votes: 43 17.4%
  • 1 of every pokemon

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • neither of them are real...

Votes: 26 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always a fan of abusing game mechanics to beat seemingly impossible numbers.

Assumption 1: Greninja outspeeds the lions
Assumption 2: Lions do not have access to useful status moves

Turn 1: mat block is used, preventing attacks from the enemy team. Team-wide speed control (tailwind, Water/Grass Pledge combo, spam Icy Wind/String Shot/Bubble/etc.) is applied. Perish Song is used. Prankster can be given to a Spotlight user if other speed control is insufficeint.

Turn 2-4: Spotlight is used, directing all enemy attacks into a pokemon that has used King's Sheild or Obstruct. At the end of turn 4, Perish Song has its effect, eliminating all lions but leaving pokemon with Soundproof intact.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
The lions are atheists
This is funny and I liked your post because of this line.

This is a really dumbass arguement tho. A billion of anything is a fuckton. So billion lions aka the kings of a billion jungles easily take the cake.

PP or not, i figure a billion lions could crush every single pokemon pretty easily, either 1mil per pokemon or 1bil all on top of 1 and then they just move on to the next one
what about moves that hit the whole field? primal groudon will EQ and 1 billion lions will all just die, and even if they survive they're getting bopped by primal kyogre's surf and darkrai's dark pulse and rayquaza's dragon ascent etc etc

if there's sufficient distance/time for the pokemon to throw a few attacks theres no way lions are surviving this. even if the mons and the lions are starting right next to each other, what's the base speed of lions anyway? I don't think they can take multiple STAB attacks that hit the whole field, one after the other

Every Pokemon, eh?

This will take a while.

FIrst things first. Pokemon can kill. Confirmed by the Pokemon Adventures manga and several Dex entries.

Anyways, let's talk Legendaries, Mythicals, etc. Here are some examples.

Dialga
Idt lions can manipulate time so, they'll be stuck as they'd be picked off.

Eternatus
Y'know that fight in SSBU's World of Light where you play as Master Hand and take down puppet fighters? Master Hand = Eternamax. Puppet fighters = lions. And it's commonly known that it's near impossible to lose this fight as Master Hand.

Kyogre and Groudon
First of all, both mons can instantly cause global effects (severe droughts and storms). Yes, there'd be 1 billion lions. But they're stuck on Earth, aren't they?

Second, I know that you've ruled them out cos they're infamous for trying to take each other down several times before. But one thing that's always happened is that they've teamed up on multiple occasions while taking down a common threat. Example: Pokemon Adventures manga, Ruby Sapphire Arc during the climax.

Sure, no more legendaries.

Machamp
Basically unrivaled in terms of strength.
Fire Red: "Its four ruggedly developed arms can launch a flurry of 1,000 punches in just two seconds."

Tyranitar
Fire Red: "Its body can't be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies."

Magcargo
Sapphire: "Magcargo's body temperature is approximately 18,000ºF/10,000ºC"
Surface temperature of the sun: 10,000ºF/5,600ºC

Infernape
Pearl: "It is beaten by none in terms of quickness."

Gardevoir
Sapphire: "Gardevoir has the psychokinetic power to distort the dimensions and create a small black hole."

Dusclops
Ruby: "It is said that its body is like a black hole."

Charizard
Ruby and Sapphire: "It breathes fire of such great heat that it melts anything."

Gigantamax Corviknight
Sword: "Imbued with Gigantamax energy, its wings can whip up winds more forceful than any a hurricane could muster."

Ok sure, no dex entries either.

Mega Gengar
Imagine lions trying to take down a dimension-hopping shadow.

Pokemon based on lions
They'll know how they act, attack, defend, tactics, etc.

Every flying type, mons with Levitate, mons that can levitate based on their sprite/logic (eg psychic abilities)
Gee I wonder if lions can fly. Oh wait. They can't. Time to rain hell from above.

Ok sure, no more mons. Moves time.

Moves with multiple targets
The number of lions won't matter too much. Too spaced out and worried about PP? Get a Psychic type mon to round them up in a small space. Oh wait. Gardevoir and Dusclops.

Whirlwind/Roar
Cya.

Leer, Growl, etc
Basic moves. Although they also effect multiple at once. Pair with a Follow Me and grab the lions attention and you've pretty much got them all. Oh and, Hypnosis works with this too.

Attract
You know how dangerous that move can be.

And when all else fails, we have RNG and the soft reset button on our side.

GG.

Last edited:
List of pokemon that can take on an infinite amount of lions provided they dont get tired PART ONE, KANTO EDITION ("tiredness" is not a pokemon mechanic and if you think it should be included thats just another thing you'll have to retcon.)

1: Charizard. Can Fly. frick your lion ladder we all know thats a joke. " Its wings can carry this Pokémon close to an altitude of 4,600 feet. It blows out fire at very high temperatures " " Its fiery breath reaches incredible temperatures. It can quickly melt glaciers weighing 10,000 tons."

self explanatory, fire breathing is not a pokemon move, it is a natural ability the pokemon has, like machamp punching. Charizard, given enough time, can solo any amount of lions by virtue of its flight and projectiles.

2: This is theoretical but Alakazam an IQ of 5000 would likely easily create victory.

I'm not sure how, but thats the point, this pokemon is unfathomably smarter than all of us, it knows billions of ways for the pokemon to win that I cant even think of. Also good luck killing it, it can literally teleport, and has telekenisis.

3: Previously discussed, but Machamp. and yes it can fuckin hit behind it, it has 4 arms.

When something can punch 1000 times in 2 seconds with only 4 arms, that’s 125 punches per second per arm. Assuming it’s punch distance is half a meter (a generously low estimate) each fist is moving 125 meters per second (because it has to withdraw the hand after each punch). This converts to 450 kmph, faster than the fastest opportating bullet train in the world, the Shanghai Maglev. And there’s 500 of these punches. Per second.

In addition you say lions could surround and take out machamp by sheer numbers, but the size of the average lion is extremely limiting in this regard, i’d say only 30 or so lions could make contact with machamp at the same time, any more and they literally just wouldn’t fit.

let’s not pretend any lion even among billions is getting a single scratch upon this creature, who is firing off 500 bullet train punches that are stated to each move mountains, per second.

4: Golem is a more boring example but nevertheless is unkillable by lions.

I would like to include graveler here, as lions simply are not capable of dealing with a sentient rock, but unfortunately no info is given on its durability, so i shall refrain from doing so

Golem however, is explicitly stated to be “capable of blowing itself up. It uses this explosive force to jump from mountain to mountain.” and
“so durable, even high-powered dynamite blasts fail to scratch its rugged hide.”

Lions DO NOT HAVE THE FIREPOWER to deal with golem. And while it would take golem many more years to kill all the lions than the other pokémon, it is capable of blasts that can propel itself, an incredibly heavy pokemon, large distances, so this could be easily utilized to blow up some kitty cats.

5: in a very similar fashion to Golem, Cloyster finds itself on this list. While lacking in offensive capabilities, it still is harder than diamond, and can withstand bomb blasts. Tooth and nail is not enough here. Cloyster’s ability to attack while impervious to attack would be its key to a very very very (very) slow victory.

6: i was having fun with this list until i got to Onyx

lame. boring. is as hard as diamond and like, hits stuff with it’s tail ig. While not a dominant threat in the pokémon food chain it is literally immortal in this lion meta, so gets on this list by technicality.

7 and 8: Rhydon and Rhyhorn. Capable of not being scratched by cannon balls, 1000 times stronger than human bones, yada yada you know the drill. Interesting footnote, with the wording chosen for the rhyhorn, it’s hide is in all likelyhood stronger than any known material and any pokémon.

9: Gyarados is virgin charizard. Can fly, but not as high, breathes fire, but not as hot. Nevertheless is still enough to be untouchable by lions and burn them to ashes.

10: Ditto technically should not be on the list of pokémon able to solo the lions as it is useless on its own, but it is capable of becoming any broken pokémon and having its characteristics. If you have any issue with the longevity of its transformations remember that it can just untransform and retransform. and don’t give me any crap about switching, ditto can def untransform, ditto’s in the wild aren’t trapped as pokémon forever.

11, 12, and 13: Legendary birds.
see above, charizard and gyara.
Pokémon with flight and long distance attacks are inherently ridiculous in this matchup. with the amount of elemental control these 3 pokémon have there should be no questioning their place on this list.

14: Dragonite: zzzzzzzzzzz

flys.
kills stuff.
can’t be killed cuz it flys.

15: Mewtwo.

i’m not explaining why fricking mewtwo could solo any and i mean ANY amount of lions.

Who was NOT mentioned: I would like to clarify my reasonings for excluding some pokémon from this list.
-flying types without inherent projectile ability
some flying types suffer from needing to use pokémon moves to attack lions at a distance, meaning best case scenario they can only kill a couple hundred (so, useless). In addition, flying types that utilize melee tactics will be eventually brought down by lions, meaning it’s silly to think they could solo the lions. Why it would be very difficult for lions to kill things like butterfree, they would eventually land, and without the ability to clear huge swaths of lions like dragonite or charizard, they would probably be taken out.

-frail underground pokémon
one might think that pokémon like diglett and sandslash would be useful, but unlike onix, they are vulnerable to attacks, and would be unable to attack a lion without risking injury without using pokémon attacks, which have limited pp.

-fire types
while many lions would die and it would be cruel and painful, lions could take out pokémon too hot to touch, as they are still vulnerable to physical trauma.

-steel types
there are no details regarding the hardness of mangeton, so i’m assuming it’s just steel. this is a BILLION lions. you’re not getting through a billion lions with boring old stainless steel, you’re getting scratched and dented into dust, even if you take 10s of thousands with you.

-ghost types
OP specifically mentioned that the lions are typeless. I don’t really know what this is supposed to say, they’re mostly fighting with lore and physical abilities not pokémon rules, but i’ll respect the OP’s wishes and say gengar would get chomped.

just want to point out that if the number of pokémon seem low compared to the total amount of pokémon likely able to solo the lions, this is because this is kanto, gen one, and the power creep and ridic-ness is very low, heck they only have like 5 legendaries.

and that concludes round one, kanto edition. Will be taking a break here to sleep and let people yell at me for the pokémon i forgot about.

This is a really dumbass arguement tho. A billion of anything is a fuckton. So billion lions aka the kings of a billion jungles easily take the cake.
lions are c class animals in terms of power, a billion bears, perhaps they might have a chance but lions, easy food considering each pokemon only has to kill 1.1 million lions. And considering how mons like ttar can eat whole mountains or how torkoal mere presence is as hot as the sun that would be easy work

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
man i hate this topic of discussion

just gonna get the elephant in the room out of the way and say that dex entries shouldn't be taken seriously in any capacity. they can be consistently considered to be not valid feats or evidence. not like it really matters when indestructible tyranitar won't survive the suffocating pressure of a million lions piling onto it, and the piling up lion corpses serving as a shield to the elements ensure that even traditionally untouchable things like magcargo will inevitably be smothered as well, but you should realize that when you cite a dex entry as fact you're advocating for some physically impossible universe-destroying physics to take place here that won't exactly end in a victory for either side nor would it really be how any reasonable interpretation of this scenario would go.

but the PP argument is honestly the big one that matters, and people are too hung-up on interpreting it by the absolute literals of game mechanics rather than what they mean. pokémon are living creatures with a finite amount of energy they can exert before exhausting their ability to battle. this is canon information by any interpretation of their existence and solidified by the PP game mechanic.
Charizard, given enough time, can solo any amount of lions by virtue of its flight and projectiles.
like it's actually appalling to me that i had to read a post like this and every single shitty argument presented within it that i don't want to waste my time picking apart. charizard, flying and breathing fire, can supposedly solo infinity lions just by flying in the air indefinitely and never getting tired while it spews an unlimited amount of energy out of its mouth. both of those are impossible by any interpretation of either biology or game mechanics. it'll kill a bunch of lions, no one would ever question that, but it literally cannot fly forever, sooner or later it'll have to land and at that point it'll be forced into honest combat against a horde, where it will inevitably eventually be overwhelmed. a charizard is not defeating 1,111,111 by virtue of "it has wings", that fact can't be argued against by saying "it can fly so it can defeat infinity lions which is even more than a million is".

and this is where the broader PP argument comes in. even the overpowered legendary pokémon cannot stay engaged in combat forever. they will get tired and end up in a position where they can be overwhelmed afterward. they are mind-bendingly destructive and absolutely monstrous, but they are not infinite and unending sources of energy that can just keep on attacking until the 1 billion lions eventually run out. the existence of the PP mechanic and any basic interpretation of how biology works ensures this fact.

this is where the main question comes in. exactly how much destructive power can the legendary monsters output before they inevitably run out of energy and get swarmed in their exhausted state? interpretations will inevitably vary due to the wild inconsistencies of portrayals and the extrapolations that can be drawn out of literal game mechanics, but personally i am heavily inclined to say that 1 billion is simply too many. i think that between the big destructive contenders of box legendaries+a few others (~25 or so total depending on your interpretations of destructive feats and power), each would need to take out about 40 million lions each in maybe 40 or so of their most powerfully destructive attacks available before (which is why i'm estimating PP on the lower side). can these apparent gods take out manage to take out 1 million lions per use of Roar of Time or Spacial Rend? people like to extrapolate these creatures to interpretations of god-level near-infinite power, but personally i'm extremely doubtful. heck, i'd even feel uncomfortable estimating the destructive power of any one individual attack to be even in the realm of the hundreds (hundreds are a LOT, i mean SERIOUSLY), these things just are not infallibly powerful in that sense. they can take out a lot of lions, but a) estimating their destructive power per attack in the realm of millions seems unbelievably high and generous to me, and b) they literally cannot keep this up forever and an army of 1 billion is plenty enough to turn this entire ordeal into just a waiting game.

and this is a pretty charitable interpretation where the lions are just sitting there waiting to be attacked until their opponents get tired enough to be beatable. each legendary will be swarmed from all directions and be forced to adequately defend themselves however they can, and while many will be able to do so competently, they all literally do have only a finite amount of hp that will not last them forever while they try to stay in the fight for as long as they can.

overall i wholeheartedly believe that the lions are taking this. there are certainly feats that can call the conclusion into question, things like spacetime and planetary manipulation or "lol isnt arceus god tho lets just ignore its actual combat feats" are certainly unbelievably powerful assets to have on their side, but i can't personally see any interpretation where it's enough raw power to take out as many as 1 billion. it's not like every time a pokémon uses a move like surf or earthquake we see entire cities getting destroyed from the collateral, and even the stronger legendaries just can't keep up the fight forever and will lose the ability to defend themselves eventually.

some of these arguments have me wondering if you guys are seeing the number 1,000,000,000 and thinking that it's something like 1.5 times the size of 1,000,000, or maybe 3 times the size of one thousand, considering that humans are notoriously bad at interpreting numbers linearly rather than logarithmically.

Last edited:

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
no :) Magcargo answer waiting room
Legitimate Username beat me to it, but you guys are really disappointing for putting so much stock in Pokedex descriptions. Pokedex descriptions are unreliable and are most likely exaggerated or are flat out wrong.

The girl from this anime/movie screenshot is not straight up dead.

Havi

three of swords
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
dex entries be capping fr, we putting 10 of them lads charging to magcargo and it's getting crushed.

steel/rock types being untouchable to lions. you know that is another potrayal of fluent capanese - you can damage them with tackle, what's stopping a pack of jacked four legged specimen clawing their way through their fraud steel/rock skins. they different from the real thing.

all the flying mons firing out hurricanes/gusts/hyper beams from above. we stalling them out until the homies tire out and land. that's not possible? 1 billion of them will find a way.

legendary pokemon are not as powerful as y'all think, heck in anime potrayals the god of pokemon can get trapped in mf concrete, not to mention most of the time the damage they doing is threatening a town or an area around that size at best. they each clapping 50k sure but again it will tire out and get absolutely munched.

edit: leppa berry shenanigans to replenish pp. that is a strategy only possible with a trainer commanding them to do so. you reckon the first thing trevenant will do after seeing a swarming sea of enraged jungle beasts is skill swapping harvest to its leppa berry homies? idk about that

1 billion is a lot, allez les lions
also mfw my good friend RyanX disregarding my foolproof kyogre counterplan :psycry:

Last edited:

Peary

Drip Haver
The lions would win. After thinking it through, the pokemon will most likely run out of PP before they can defeat 1,000,000,000 lions, and then they will either lose from struggle or be defeated by the lions.

Even if every pokemon that exists had 4 moves with 64 PP, that is only 228,608 PP, which is far less than 1,000,000,000.
The biggest threats here are Arceus, Dialga, and Kyogre. Kyogre can flood the earth, Arceus is "god", Dialga can manipulate space-time. I still don't think the pokemon have enough PP to deal with 1 billion, unless they have access to a ton of leppa berries.

ALLEZ LES LIONS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)