The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

This year I played a bunch of games from my childhood as a way to destress. Right now I'm playing Pokémon Platinum. On the way to the 7th gym I found a shiny Snover with a quiet nature, which is a big deal for me since I don't have a single competitively viable shiny Pokémon.

Once I've arrived in Snowpoint City, I decided to talk to all the NPCs just in case they have something to give (I didn't do this when I was a young and missed a lot of free items). There's this girl who wanted to trade a Haunter for a Medicham and I happen to have one since I caught a Meditite earlier in the game and included it on my team. This trade looked to good to be true, but I remember hearing that you can get a Gengar in Sinnoh and thought this was the way to get it, so I accepted the trade. You can guess what happens next.

What sucks about this is that the last time I saved was before I caught that shiny Snover, so now I'm officially stuck with her Haunter if I want to keep Snover.

Fuck you Mindy :fukyu:

Something I did only five minutes ago:
  • raise Hatterene to Lv. 64 with candies so it learns Magic Powder
  • go to Split-Decision Ruins
  • select electric pattern
  • send out Hatterene to use Magic Powder on Regieleki, so I can then use Thunder Wave on it
  • realise I did not bring a Pokémon with Thunder Wave to the battle
I had something like that happen to me, but it was trying to paralyze Moltres with a Klefki's Thunder Wave.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This year I played a bunch of games from my childhood as a way to destress. Right now I'm playing Pokémon Platinum. On the way to the 7th gym I found a shiny Snover with a quiet nature, which is a big deal for me since I don't have a single competitively viable shiny Pokémon.

Once I've arrived in Snowpoint City, I decided to talk to all the NPCs just in case they have something to give (I didn't do this when I was a young and missed a lot of free items). There's this girl who wanted to trade a Haunter for a Medicham and I happen to have one since I caught a Meditite earlier in the game and included it on my team. This trade looked to good to be true, but I remember hearing that you can get a Gengar in Sinnoh and thought this was the way to get it, so I accepted the trade. You can guess what happens next.

What sucks about this is that the last time I saved was before I caught that shiny Snover, so now I'm officially stuck with her Haunter if I want to keep Snover.

Fuck you Mindy :fukyu:
TBF to Haunter, he's not that bad of a Pokemon to use. 115 Special Attack and 95 Speed makes him a pretty threatening sweeper and learns plenty of good moves. Like I once used a Kadabra in my Diamond playthrough even though I had no way to evolve it, yet it held its own just fine. I'll admit I don't remember if I took it to challenge the League, but I never thought "I need a better Pokemon" while I had it.

I have having a goof off battle with my little brother who wanted me to see the effects of Metrinome, a move that at the time I didn't even know existed. (Emerald Version by the way, I was 13 and uncompeditive)

I used a Togetic that a friend gave me at level 100, he, a togepi at level 5...

I use fly, togepi used Meterinome---> Sandstorm
Togepi used protect, Fly fails

The rest of the battle (20 turns or so...) went on in this mannor...
At least until sandstorm killed the togetic, which for some reason had no healing moves. I was defeated by a level 5 Togepi!!!
Umm... Unless your brother had a Tyranitar(Since until Gen VI, weather abilities made the weather stay until it was overwritten by another weather), there was no way that Sandstorm would last more than 5 turns. Unless they kept calling sandstorm after the first one ended.

Last edited:
You know how in the Sinnoh games you begin with you and Barry looking for Mesprit?

First time I played that, he went back in his house cause he forgot something.

I was like, "No prob, do your thing." Then I waited. And waited. For over 5 minutes I waited. I even restarted the game thinking it was freezing.

Then I tried going after him to pick his stuff up. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Doing online battles on Victory Station today. It was Landorus-T against Dynamax Metagross.

“ Great! All I have to do Max Guard and I should win right? “ Well, I go over to Dynamax. Only for Joy Con drift to occur... I misclick and select Rock Slide.:facepalm:

Well, that was embarrassing thing to say the last.

Man, I hate Joy-Con drift.:puff:

I had my first shiny encounter in PMD DX yesterday, the higher-level lickilicky in Mt. Freeze. I make sure to disable attacks on party members 2 and 3 since I'm unlikely to OHKO it with the leader.

Unfortunately, this was during the postgame quest so slot 1 was in fact not the Magneton that was the only one I had been regularly bringing on missions for the last 10 hours of playtime and who I was playing as, it was the swampert I was forced to take. That knew a room-wide AoE in Blizzard. That I hadn't told them not to use.

When the Gen I games came out on Virtual Console I was playing Yellow and right before the second gym I deleted Pikachu's Thundershock because my hand slipped when trying to learn a new move. None of my other Pokemon had any Grass/Electric moves, and Pikachu's next non-Status Electric move is at level 26, which was about 10 levels more than it was when I deleted Thundershock.
Speaking of Virtual Console, not me but my brother: He got Blue when it came out on VC and chose Squirtle as his starter, but nicknamed it "Squixx" because he couldn't find the backspace button.

When the Gen I games came out on Virtual Console I was playing Yellow and right before the second gym I deleted Pikachu's Thundershock because my hand slipped when trying to learn a new move. None of my other Pokemon had any Grass/Electric moves, and Pikachu's next non-Status Electric move is at level 26, which was about 10 levels more than it was when I deleted Thundershock.
It happens to everyone. I remember having to battle Misty again because I mashed a bit too much and overwrote Mega Punch for Bubblebeam. :psytear:

Hey Ironmage, I think in like the Colosseum games like there,s a glitch were if you catch a shiny Pokemon you have to go through the entire purification process and because of a glitch, you would have to get the shiny AGAIN basically, so even if you caught it it would still probably revert to normal.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So basically I had collected all my Pokemon into Pokemon Bank, a couple of shiny pokemon, legendaries, level 100 Pokemon, and just important pokemon I had collected over time through many playthroughs. The shiny Pokemon were my shiny Tangrowth and shiny Jumpluff, which were my first shiny Pokemon ever. I also had many other shiny Pokemon from wonder trades and just general trades. I had a bunch of legendaries gathered from X, Alpha Sapphire, and I was also storing a bunch of Pokemon for my brother. Many Pokemon I had were from special play throughs I had too, along with many fully levelled Pokemon.
So from Pokemon Bank, I moved all of them into either Alpha Sapphire or X. I kept them in there for a while and then decided I wanted to start a new play through of them. What I didn't notice is that I had moved all my Pokemon from Pokemon Bank into the games... and yes I deleted the save files. It took me a couple of months after that to realise my Pokemon Bank was empty, and then I realised that I had deleted every Pokemon I previously had and I didn't even notice it until a couple of months after.

So basically I was playing Alpha Sapphire for the first time and I wanted to catch Virizion (which was only available for a set time of day I believe). I only had 35 ultra balls (used up my masterball on Kyogre) and every time I attempted, I would run out of balls/Virizion would struggle to death. Instead of doing the logical thing and buying more ultra balls, I would reset and try again another day. So after about 5 or so resets, the Virizion that appeared was shiny. And I had 35 ultra balls. And they ran out :'). I was panicking and saw the premier ball's description, which said it was made to commemorate a special event. Thought maybe it had an increased catch rate for shinies and used it, and surprisingly, the Virizion was caught. Till this day I have no idea how what was potentially my greatest fuck up turned into the best thing that ever happened to me in a pokemon game. Lesson learnt, now I always carry 35 pokeballs everywhere I go.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
i once ran a physical blissey in one of my dppt runs. always wondered why it couldn't do damage.
To be oddly fair, the Chansey family is one of three Pokemon families that learn Egg Bomb (other being Exeggutor and Mew (only in Gen I, though thanks to the virtual console version of Gen I you can have a Mew with Egg Bomb now)). Now Egg Bomb isn't that great of a move, 100 Power at first looks great but it has 75% accuracy and no secondary effect. But to add onto it's uselessness, at no point for the Pokemon that naturally learned Egg Bomb has it been useful for them. Normal moves were Physical between Ben I & III and when the split happened they kept Egg Bomb Physical even though the only two Pokemon families that learn it are Special-based (Exeggutor and sorta Blissey at least, Chansey couldn't do much with it no matter what).

If they were to ever bring it back (it was movexit'd in SwSh) it need a major change. I say make it into a Seismic Toss clone, maybe one that works off Water Spout's damage calculations. Also I'd replace Chansey's family Serene Grace with Triage.

Altho I started playing Pokémon in GSC, it wasn't until FR/LG when I did some serious stupid shit. I had no means to verify the information I got, Internet wasn't a thing (thats not to say Internet didn't exist, but from us who were born in the early 90s or late 80s, Internet wasn't a thing in our houses right away like its now, and also information wasn't as widely spread and verified; now you can know every single detail about the content of any game even before its official release), and so everything had to be proven by myself.

It was at the time Deoxys was being distributed in some provinces of Spain. I couldn't go to said events and my father couldn't take me there either, so my only option was to send the game. I wasn't able to do so because one of the requisites was to wrap the game in a "bubble envelope". I didn't know what the fuck was a bubble envelope but, because I had played Pokémon games, I wronly assumed it was an envelope with bubbles in its design. I invested hours upon hours looking for a bubble envelope to no success. And before you ask: "who is it that the dependant never got what you really wanted?" In spanish, there's a strong difference between the prepositions "de" and "con". What I was asking for was a "sobre CON burbujas", in fact, I was asking for a "sobre con diseño de burbujas" or something amongst that line, but what I needed was a "sobre DE burbujas", which btw is this:

https://www.embalara.com/367-large_default/sobre-acolchado-burbujas-220x330.jpg

So my friend, who's clever than me, asked his mom and was able to send the game and get the Deoxys. After he got his Deoxys, I was more desperate than ever to get mine (remember Emerald release was after FR/LG, and we can't clone the mon), and he came with an absurd idea to give me hope. He told me that If I got every Unown in alphabetical order, I'd fight Deoxys and catch him. After some days catching every single Unown in alphabetical order (in FR/LG) I ask him what the fuck should I do with Unown "?" and "!", what was the correct order. I don't remember exactly what he told me but it was a fkn lie anyway. I got nothing, of course. He just answered something like "no sé tío..." (idk dude...). I'd never recover the lifespan I lost there.

Another really stupid thing I did was in DPPl. I didn't know shit about IVs and EVs and some random day I learnt about the second. But! I didn't get to the real point of it. I mean, I knew there was something called EVs that made your Pokémon grow stronger, but I didn't know what the limit was or how were they applied. I bought an Action Replay and started catching wild mons at hight levels, the point being I caught things like lvl 40+ Slaking. That Slaking had no EVs, so when it leveled from level 40 to level 41, its attack jumped in like 17 points. Just imagine my face when I saw a fucking +10+ in 1 stat. I inmediatly did my calcs: if the mon has 202 attack and every level it gets +10, i'll end up with 802 attack OMG. But I couldn't take a photo because I didn't have my own phone (I feel so fkn old lol), so what I did was close the Nintendo DS to put it in stand by mode, and WAIT for my friend to show him the NDS screen (paused at the very moment of the level up). Now picture this everytime a Pokémon got some crazy level up stat like +22 or things like that for legendaries (because some of them were lvl 70 with 0 Evs, so they got a lof of gaining after leveling), me waiting for my friends, sometimes for a couple of hours, sometimes for entire days without playing nor touching the NDS, to show them the mon that would finally end up with 900 in 1 stat.

My facepalm really isn't that bad, all of the Shinies I've found I was totally prepared and caught them, but I did teach most of my Pokémon really bad HM Moves in my old Ruby game. I even deleted ROCK TOMB from my Sceptile, arguably the best Pokémon I had that wasn't Groudon.
That's not too bad lol. Rock Tomb gives you some coverage, maybe you just didn't find a better move to replace it earlier on?

That's not too bad lol. Rock Tomb gives you some coverage, maybe you just didn't find a better move to replace it earlier on?
I taught it to Grovyle really early when I realized it could use it to defend from Fire, Flying, and all the other stuff, but ended up deleting it for Cut.

Also, to add to Sceptile's facepalm, I deleted False Swipe because I thought it was bad, and in all fairness to its capturing usefulness, it is bad--for battles, at least.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This was around 9 years ago and I don't remember much about the details but I was playing in Pokemon Black and White's Battle Subway. I very nearly lost to an NPC whose final Pokemon was Claydol. Under the circumstances I was put under in that battle, I accepted I've completely lost to this Claydol, but wanted to finish off the match anyway. All the sudden, this trainer's Claydol decided to use Explosion and I somehow won just because of that. I would have absolutely lost if it did normal Claydol things aside from blowing itself up.

It was most likely the Cosmic Power Toxic set.
Believe it or not, the quoted post above wasn't the only really or even last close call I had against Claydol.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Steven_Stone#Pok.C3.A9mon_Ruby_and_Sapphire

At one point around 4 years ago, I decided to "speedrun" Pokemon Sapphire (I suck at speedrunning). I've soloed through much of the game with Blaziken and skipped a sizeable amount of trainers. Most of my gym badges were won quite easily. All I pretty much did was catch some low level HM slaves and Kyogre, then headed to the Elite Four. I beat the Elite Four quite easily and reached the final boss, Steven. Steven led with Skarmory. I had a level 67 Blaziken and a level 46 Kyogre so I thought I knew what I was doing. I had a strategy planned! My strategy was to use Bulk Up six times then spam Blaze Kick and Double Kick or something in order to sweep his team with my overleveled Blaziken. I actually went with it. I used Bulk Up six times, then shredded Skarmory with Blaze Kick. I easily beat a couple more of his Pokemon, like Cradily, and Aggron. Then came his Metagross. I used Blaze Kick on Steven's Metagross. It survived, KOed my Blaziken back with Earthquake, and I was confused for a moment as for how that didn't straight up one-shot. Oh wait, Blaze Kick is SPECIAL in Gen 3 !_!. Okay. I sent out Kyogre and dealt with the Metagross, but not without taking a good bit of damage first. Fair enough. Who's next? Claydol. Okay so Claydol outsped my level 46 Kyogre and KOed it with Earthquake. With Blaziken and Kyogre gone, all I had left were low level HM slaves. Fortunately, I also had a lot of revives but not many potions. I was able to keep spamming these heal items on my Pokemon. Unfortunately both Kyogre and Blaziken were not able to do much against Claydol. Claydol kept tanking their attacks with Light Screen. Kyogre also got outsped and KOed anyway. It was quite insane. I eventually ran out of all potion types and could only keep spamming revives on Kyogre and Blaziken. I used up all the HM slaves I could to spam potions on the two. Both Kyogre and Blaziken were frequently getting KOed by Claydol's Earthquake as I was burning through revives. I ran out of revives and all other healing items. Claydol was still there, able to outspeed and KO Kyogre, while being able to take Blaziken's attacks very well. At that point I thought I lost entirely. Blaziken was down. My only Pokemon left was Kyogre. I sent it out and prepared for the final Earthquake. Apparently the Claydol used Ancient Power instead. It... it actually ran out of Earthquakes!!!!!! If it had just one more Earthquake power point I would've lost that match for sure! Kyogre was able to take Ancient Power and beat the Claydol! Steven sent out his final Pokemon, which was Armaldo. Kyogre just blew through that and I won!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)