Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Nothing. It's unviable. Zarude is completely walled by Tomohawk, and struggles to make meaningful progress against Pokemon like Astrolotl, Mandibuzz, and Toxapex to name a few. It's not worth using and has no effect on the VR.
That answers my question then.

are there pokes with offensive presence that can switch into volkraken decently?
it just hits way too hard at most of its resists, its like Darkshifu.
i dont want to have to resort to blissey, or spdef pex, or arghonaught on my BO team.
thanks for any suggestions.

edit: thank you for the great feedback Zephyr2007

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
are there pokes with offensive presence that can switch into volkraken decently?
it just hits way too hard at most of its resists, its like Darkshifu.
i dont want to have to resort to blissey, or spdef pex, or arghonaught on my BO team.
thanks for any suggestions.
Hey! I think defensive Rotom-W is the best switchin atm, mostly because of the SE damage it can hit with. Besides that. Slowbro, Slowking, and honestly any other specially bulky water or dragon that's fairly viable and not weak to PGem or it's stabs should do. Honestly, Volk isn't all that common atm due to how vulnerable it is to revenge killers, how the most common variants (specs and scarf) can be taken advantage of fairly easily, and the ubiquity of Slowking, so i'm not sure if you need to worry about it if i'm being honest.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Cyclohm, Teleport Slowking, Pajantom, Toxapex, Teleport Blissey are all very viable mons that fit very well onto BO and beat Volkraken pretty damn reliably. There are hard counters such as Seismitoad, but I'd not rec using them. All of these fit well into defensive pivot roles on that playstyle thanks to either being well, Cyclohm/Pex, or being able to easily generate momentum.

Okay, given that I've been frequenting the forums for the Crown Tundra DLC, I'd be curious to know how thew new mons will affect the CAP metagame as well.
What developments do you guys think is most likely now that the Crown Tundra is well and fully out?

Howdy! This is mostly a simple question, I’m just weird.

anyway, I’m needing advice for a few teams. Problem is, the metagame they’re in matches none of the game ones - pokemon can (usually) have up to two abilities (still have to be abilities they could legally have), not restricted to four move slots, and the main stat is level and the rest kind of doesn’t matter so much.

If I was looking for advice (which I am) on these teams where would be the best place to put this, and should I be explaining what I know about this unusual metagame in the OP?

(if anyone’s curious it’s basically a role play - it’s a creative game but also still can be competitive)

thank you for reading

Probably quite late to ask of this, but is there any chance we can get a separate ladder / meta for "CAP (pre-dlc2)" ?
I'd still like to test teams for cap28 playtest. Though it's not a major inconvenience for me to ask people in chat.

Probably quite late to ask of this, but is there any chance we can get a separate ladder / meta for "CAP (pre-dlc2)" ?
I'd still like to test teams for cap28 playtest. Though it's not a major inconvenience for me to ask people in chat.
Given that the normal CAP ladder is already pretty inactive, I think there would never be enough people to justify creating a ladder for the pre-DLC metagame. If you want to test teams for the CAP 28 Playtest, I recommend you to simply ask in chat. Many people are still in that tournament, so I'm sure you'll find people to test with.

Is there a megathread for intergenerational changes? If not, could someone link me to the thread where Voodoom's HA was changed? Thanks!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Why doesn't libra pop up when I type "libra" in the builder ? (take this as a suggestion more than a genuine question)
Because "equi" is a much better shortened name than "libra," duh. Joking aside we could look into this if it's a popular request.

Is there a megathread for intergenerational changes? If not, could someone link me to the thread where Voodoom's HA was changed? Thanks!
Voodoom didn't have a hidden ability until Generation 7, where it received Cursed Body.

Because "equi" is a much better shortened name than "libra," duh. Joking aside we could look into this if it's a popular request.

Voodoom didn't have a hidden ability until Generation 7, where it received Cursed Body.
Ah thanks, I realize I was thinking of Revenankh.

Hello, I'm new to CAP, I came around because I find the idea interesting and fun. I've taken a look at the recent sample teams and saw that they were updated quite a while ago, and I'm sure the metagame has evolved since then. Are there any other places to get relevant teams? Am I being too picky and those teams work just fine? Maybe if there is a team archive from the recent CAP Snake Draft, that could help me. I just don't want to use an outdated team or such when learning the meta, but maybe all I need is experience on the ladder. Sorry if I've been rambling off.

Second Question: How do bans work? Reading through this thread and others I've seen that pokemon were banned in the past, but there's no suspect threads like I'm accustomed to. I assume that there is some sort of decision making body that decides to ban pokemon every now and then? Elaboration would be nice, if there is more to elaborate on.

Thanks for any replies, I'm trying to learn this meta. I feel like CAP is growing right now, as a lot of smaller youtubers are starting to play it. Maybe that's just me? Anyways have a great day.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Sample teams will be up soon; we just had CAP Snake Draft and top players, that is, those players who provide sample teams, generally don't want to share teams during team tours. We're in the process of creating them right now and should have them up in a week or so. Teams from Snake are being posted to the CAP Bazaar.

Bans are generally handled by council using the assistance of surveys of high-level players; Astrolotl and Equilibra nerfs were done using the input of the post CAP PL survey. We have done suspects in the past, which are generally used for any time we need to ban an OU pokemon as there's less complexity there than a nerf.

Last edited:
Sample teams will be up soon; we just had CAP Snake Draft and top players, that is, those players who provide sample teams, generally don't want to share teams during team tours. We're in the process of creating them right now and should have them up in a week or so. Teams from Snake are being posted to the CAP Bazaar.

Bans are generally handled by council using the assistance of surveys of high-level players; Astrolotl and Equilibra nerfs were done using the input of the post CAP PL survey. We have done suspects in the past, which are generally used for any time we need to ban an OU pokemon as there's less complexity there than a nerf.
Thank you! Just a question: what were the Astrolotl and Equilabra nerfs? Is there a forum where I can see what and why they were nerfed? thanks.

Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions, but how do teams usually prep for Spectrier? It's in A rank but the only ghost resist I see in A rank is Blissey (other than Urshifu which doesn't often cut it for balance, at least in OU). Do people rely on the general special bulkiness of libra and astrolotl? Astrolotl is 2HKOed and Equilibra doesn't have recovery. Maybe I am missing something.

Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions, but how do teams usually prep for Spectrier? It's in A rank but the only ghost resist I see in A rank is Blissey (other than Urshifu which doesn't often cut it for balance, at least in OU). Do people rely on the general special bulkiness of libra and astrolotl? Astrolotl is 2HKOed and Equilibra doesn't have recovery. Maybe I am missing something.
you can use colosoil or hydreigon

The Spect answers that have seen The most play lately are SpD :Tyranitar: and defensive :Hydreigon: which are the most solid options imo. Cap also has its own option in :Colossoil: Colossoil, which is a physical dark/ground type with Guts. It can run an
Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 72 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
set that eats Spects attacks decently, as well as an
He is Outside (Colossoil) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 228 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect
set, that kinda has some more utility otherwise but obviously is frailer.

Mandibuzz cancheck some Sets as well, but it isn’t a surefire option.

Also Urshifu S is banned as we usually followup every ban from OU

The Spect answers that have seen The most play lately are SpD :Tyranitar: and defensive :Hydreigon: which are the most solid options imo. Cap also has its own option in :Colossoil: Colossoil, which is a physical dark/ground type with Guts. It can run an
Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 72 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
set that eats Spects attacks decently, as well as an
He is Outside (Colossoil) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 228 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect
set, that kinda has some more utility otherwise but obviously is frailer.

Mandibuzz cancheck some Sets as well, but it isn’t a surefire option.

Also Urshifu S is banned as we usually followup every ban from OU
I think it's worth noteing that Astrolotl:Astrolotl:is often used as a scout for Choiced Spect to prevent your dark type from geting burned and hexed

EDIT:It's also worth noteing that :Tyranitar: and :Hydreigon: are more common because they can also can check :Astrolotl: meaning that it's a great partner for it because it can knock off there items and set spikes to chip :Tyranitar:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)