Unpopular opinions

Right? Foolishness.

The thing about GOAT Mainline Game Platinum is that yes, you really have incredible options at your disposal and yes, a lot of major battles also are pulling up with a full clip, and not just near the endgame with Lucian and Cynthia, I'm talking about Roark's Pursuit Cranidos, Jupiter's Skuntank in Eterna making Team Galactic look like a real threat, Fantina's Mismagius having the Hearthome Pokémon Center look like Vermillion's Center in the Anime...

What is SEVERELY underrated is the sheer number of legit good options Platinum offers for team building.

Let's start with the starters. We're talking about a game where all starters are legit good.

Infernape needs no introduction and neither does Empoleon, but Torterra might legit be the best in-game Grass Starter.

We're talking about a mon that gets Curse, Leech Seed, Wood Hammer, Crunch and Earthquake by Level-Up. Razor Leaf is early and Bite comes in time for the dreaded Fantina match-up.
Coverage? A wealth of Rock moves via TM to pair up with Earthquake. Rock Tomb, Slide, and Stone Edge are all available to it. Crunch also helps against tricky matchups like Lucian.
Speed? Rock Polish may be late, but it's nigh-uncontested and turns Torterra into a bulky, hard-hitting, and fast mon that can pull off quick sweeps even in the E4.
Matchups? With that coverage? You're only in real, real trouble against Candice and Flint. Everyone else can be taken down with a good set and a little preparation. It legit has good matchups due to its offensive prowess too, most notably against Volkner.

Now you might be asking, "Sure, Torterra for A. Who else?"

Who else? Here's a list that can only be rivaled by SwSh's broken raids.

Besides the obvious Starter + Staraptor, Luxray and Garchomp, there's also Gallade, Gliscor, Floatzel, Scizor, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Porygon-Z, Gardevoir, Rotom, Gengar, Houndoom, Froslass, the Eeveelutions, Roserade, Magnezone, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Electivire, Milotic, Probopass, Togekiss, Tentacruel, Yanmega, Rampardos, Machamp, Bronzong, Medicham, Lucario, Bastiodon, Weavile, and Abomasnow.

All kinds of mons that require all kinds of effort or not, but all of them are at least not going to be liabilities. You can easily pick a team out of this list without picking the staple Platinum MVPs and still have a pretty good team.

Oh yes, Gabite with EQ + Rock Tomb and Dragon Rage, very broken indeed...

CAN'T EVEN GET PAST FANTINA'S MISMAGIUS.

Hype up No Eviolite Gabite until post-Distortion World as broken in-game brehs.

View attachment 300808

View attachment 300809

That's a good looking team bro, good job. Nice catch with the Vespiquen, that 1:8 Fem rate is no joke.

Oh yeah, another one for the list.

Yeah, you are really right though, But Gibble evolves into Gabite at level 30? ( don't remember ) and then you can get fire blast, after you get strength I think you can get earthquake on it, and dragon claw on level up, which is pretty good early on, so by the 4th gym you might already have gabite i think (?) Giving you a pretty good dragon stab move fairly early on, But he mostly picks up momentum twoards the end. when he evolves into garchomp. Why I'm really supportive of the line is because I used one and it wrecked, ( even as a gabite ) so get it in like the 3rd hour, throw the exp share on it, and by the 5th gym it has to be a gabite, and then you got a psudeo legendary mid stage that isnt a shelgon. Also, garchomp/gabite can have a super effective move against every single like major trainer i think ( maybe not lucian idk )
So overall, you can get the guy in less than around 5 hours, so he's really good. I say get infernape because you can already have a amazing early grass type in roserade, so infernape is honestly the best choice over rapidash, ( fire is basically essential to any normal playthrpugh team, ) and fire has some of the best matchups in the game as a whole, so i say inferanpe is the best one overall. ( Also, if you want a full replacment to tortrra, pick up a tangela in the great marsh and get a tangrowth around like level 35 ) and infernape also is the best starter on their own, so infernape is all around the best choice. This doesn't make sense lol.

Edit: This is a really puny argument, so sorry. I'm just being really defensive.

Yeah, you are really right though, But Gibble evolves into Gabite at level 30? ( don't remember ) and then you can get fire blast, after you get strength I think you can get earthquake on it, and dragon claw on level up, which is pretty good early on, so by the 4th gym you might already have gabite i think (?) Giving you a pretty good dragon stab move fairly early on, But he mostly picks up momentum twoards the end. when he evolves into garchomp. Why I'm really supportive of the line is because I used one and it wrecked, ( even as a gabite ) so get it in like the 3rd hour, throw the exp share on it, and by the 5th gym it has to be a gabite, and then you got a psudeo legendary mid stage that isnt a shelgon. Also, garchomp/gabite can have a super effective move against every single like major trainer i think ( maybe not lucian idk )
So overall, you can get the guy in less than around 5 hours, so he's really good. I say get infernape because you can already have a amazing early grass type in roserade, so infernape is honestly the best choice over rapidash, ( fire is basically essential to any normal playthrpugh team, ) and fire has some of the best matchups in the game as a whole, so i say inferanpe is the best one overall. ( Also, if you want a full replacment to tortrra, pick up a tangela in the great marsh and get a tangrowth around like level 35 ) and infernape also is the best starter on their own, so infernape is all around the best choice. This doesn't make sense lol.

Ok, let's dissect this. For Gabite, Gible evolves at Lv. 24. You don't need Strength to catch it or get EQ in Plat, only the Bike.

As soon as you catch it, it's going to be an excellent member of your team assuming you give it EQ. EQ + Early Dragon Rage is not something to scoff at.

The thing about Gabite is that it evolves at Lv. 48. For reference, Giratina is Lv. 47 in the Distortion World. This means you'll be using Gabite for the majority of the game.

Gabite definitely does have the movepool to keep up, but not the stats. This is definitely not a broken mon in-game especially when you have to consider the whole segment between Celestic Town and Snowpoint filled with Ice and snow everywhere. One Ice Shard and you got a dead dragon. And it's everywhere.

As for the starter thing, Roserade and Torterra play completely differently. Rose does not have the kind of coverage Torterra has or its setup potential. It plays much more like a classic Grass-type, but with the advantage of being very fast once fully evolved.

The point about Torterra is that it's a good starter. Sure, it may not be the best and Sinnoh doesn't really have a lot of options when it comes to Fire-types, but that doesn't mean Torterra is on the same boat as say, Chikorita and Snivy. Picking the Grass Starter in Platinum doesn't mean you're playing on Hard Mode like in most of the other games.

Also, plenty of games in this franchise where Fire isn't a super valued type. Most notably the Kanto games.

The thing about Mismagius is that yes, you're not going to have a hard counter for it. However, you do have some good neutral options that may or may not solo it, like say, Bite Grotle, Crunch Floatzel, or Staravia if you're more defensively minded.

But since the odds of a clean sweep are almost 0... You can imagine how people react to her.
Im guessing then that fantina is a bit like whitney but actually hard (i dont remember having issues with whitney, as even if my team composition was trash i could catch something useful for her gym that could wall it, especially if it was female). They probably should have dropped shadow ball for something a bit less devastating, or maybe just kept skunky as an catchable option

They probably should have dropped shadow ball for something a bit less devastating, or maybe just kept skunky as an catchable option

Nah, that's weak-minded.

It's fine to have a tough boss every once in a while. It builds character.
Ain't no point in complaining about how braindead easy SwSh's Leaders are if Fantina gets people whining. Ain't no shortage of options out there, just win the neutral matchup.

Im guessing then that fantina is a bit like whitney but actually hard (i dont remember having issues with whitney, as even if my team composition was trash i could catch something useful for her gym that could wall it, especially if it was female). They probably should have dropped shadow ball for something a bit less devastating, or maybe just kept skunky as an catchable option
what do you mean you’re guessing lmao, this whole convo started because you said that platinum gives you too many options that break the game. How can you say that without seeming to have that much knowledge about the important battles (or how good Gible is, for that matter)

Anyway, yeah, Platinum Fantina’s hard for the same reason Whitney is: in both cases you’ve got a strong ace that can deal heavy damage and will probably outspeed your whole team, while also potentially haxing past your defensive answers (Attract, Stomp flinches, Confuse Ray, Sp. Def drops), plus it’s backed by one or two mons that aren’t usually that threatening but can be super annoying (Clefairy’s Metronome, Encore, and Cute Charm; Duskull’s Will-o-Wisp; Haunter’s Hypnosis).

It’s good though. These kinds of Gym Battles are memorable because they’re fun and satisfying to get past, even with the hax elements.

what do you mean you’re guessing lmao, this whole convo started because you said that platinum gives you too many options that break the game. How can you say that without seeming to have that much knowledge about the important battles (or how good Gible is, for that matter)
I often say i'm guessing just to make sure, since i dont remember having any difficulty with fantina on the times i played, but cant really dispute it rn lol

Ok, let's dissect this. For Gabite, Gible evolves at Lv. 24. You don't need Strength to catch it or get EQ in Plat, only the Bike.

As soon as you catch it, it's going to be an excellent member of your team assuming you give it EQ. EQ + Early Dragon Rage is not something to scoff at.

The thing about Gabite is that it evolves at Lv. 48. For reference, Giratina is Lv. 47 in the Distortion World. This means you'll be using Gabite for the majority of the game.

Gabite definitely does have the movepool to keep up, but not the stats. This is definitely not a broken mon in-game especially when you have to consider the whole segment between Celestic Town and Snowpoint filled with Ice and snow everywhere. One Ice Shard and you got a dead dragon. And it's everywhere.

As for the starter thing, Roserade and Torterra play completely differently. Rose does not have the kind of coverage Torterra has or its setup potential. It plays much more like a classic Grass-type, but with the advantage of being very fast once fully evolved.

The point about Torterra is that it's a good starter. Sure, it may not be the best and Sinnoh doesn't really have a lot of options when it comes to Fire-types, but that doesn't mean Torterra is on the same boat as say, Chikorita and Snivy. Picking the Grass Starter in Platinum doesn't mean you're playing on Hard Mode like in most of the other games.

Also, plenty of games in this franchise where Fire isn't a super valued type. Most notably the Kanto games.

Good words. You write your stuff really well man, and you are right about a lot of things.

It's not fine if the only actually tough battle, not counting the Champion, is the THIRD Gym Leader. It does give, not the impression that they wanted to make a tough battle, but that it was on complete accident.

"What's a difficulty curve?"

Oh, so now we don't count Jupiter as tough?

Good luck steamrolling Gardenia without Staravia or Monferno too.

Oh yeah, Crasher Wake is free too.

Lucian is yet another bum I guess.

Brock.png

Fantina always gets the haters and softs coming out of the woodworks. It's hilarious every time.
Electrode lol.png

Oh, so now we don't count Jupiter as tough?

Good luck steamrolling Gardenia without Staravia or Monferno too.

Oh yeah, Crasher Wake is free too.

Lucian is yet another bum I guess.

View attachment 300845

Fantina always gets the haters and softs coming out of the woodworks. It's hilarious every time.
View attachment 300846

Well, I guess it has something to do with the fact the good choices happen to be Sinnoh Pokémon that fit my "only reptiles (birds included)" criteria, so they didn't cross my mind :P

It's not fine if the only actually tough battle, not counting the Champion, is the THIRD Gym Leader. It does give, not the impression that they wanted to make a tough battle, but that it was on complete accident.

"What's a difficulty curve?"
The thing is that every single pokemon game has one or two MASSIVE spikes like whitney, and in this case, fantina in this case. Saying that having one spike is saying that the whole difficulty curve is wack is just being really ignorant of just about everything else. Like Volt before me, you're kinda dismissing almost everything else. ( and yes, this game does have a sudden and big and steep curve starting at jupiter which kinda pleatues after which is a problem I, as a sinnoh stan, see as a massive oversight) But it;s kinda brash to say that a sudden spike makes the whole difficulty curve wack.

Well, I guess it has something to do with the fact the good choices happen to be Sinnoh Pokémon that fit my "only reptiles (birds included)" criteria, so they didn't cross my head :P

WE don't just have birds, we have CATS!!!
a9df5e4c9819b6029859a14ae97c59be979dcc09r1-500-500v2_00.jpg

Thanks bro, appreciate it. It's really hard because English is not my native language.
quickly before we turn into offtopic, but your english is perfectly fine imo. maybe im biased because it also isnt my main language, but your posts are nice to read.

to go back to topic: I don't like most of the characters in pmd explorers. they're pretty annoying to me, other than partner, grovyle and dusknoir.

i also dont really like how evolution in the first two games comes with loss of character/only happen when you have no character left. in rescuers, evolving means you lose portraits, even the neutral expression one, which is weird because im pretty sure all pokemon have at least the neutral one.
in explorers, its only avaliable after you finish the post game plot, which means that you finished most of character interaction, and also character growth for them. they become quite boring, to be honest. hope this makes sense

to go back to topic: I don't like most of the characters in pmd explorers. they're pretty annoying to me, other than partner, grovyle and dusknoir.

i also dont really like how evolution in the first two games comes with loss of character/only happen when you have no character left. in rescuers, evolving means you lose portraits, even the neutral expression one, which is weird because im pretty sure all pokemon have at least the neutral one.
in explorers, its only avaliable after you finish the post game plot, which means that you finished most of character interaction, and also character growth for them. they become quite boring, to be honest. hope this makes sense

Well, the story is over by the time you can evolve (with the exception of Rescue Team), so it's not like there is any character left, evolving or not...

Well, the story is over by the time you can evolve (with the exception of Rescue Team), so it's not like there is any character left, evolving or not...
i may have written it badly, but thats my issue. i wish you could evolve at least a bit earlier to see those evolutions with your character traits, yknow? when they evolve, its at a point that theres nothing that happens, and it kinda makes it a bit more dull.
its not that big of an issue, but its something that does add up a bit to my distaste of pmd2s characters

Man with how awful the nintendo online is i wouldnt be surprised if they were just dead on arrival. I wouldnt mind if they did put it on the games but like, eh?

What?

GTS had no problem working for past games on past consoles. We're not talking about streaming the other players every movement like in an action multiplayer game, we're talking about sending back & forth data packages. Actually, it's even more simple then that as you're connecting with a server via the internet instead of another player's game over WiFi.

And if I'm playing my Shield version, why did I have to:

1. Save and turn off my game.
2. Open the Switch version of HOME.
3. Choose my game and transfer the Pokemon from my game into Switch HOME.
4. Turn on my mobile phone.
5. Transfer the Pokemon from my Switch HOME to my Mobile HOME.
6. Put that Pokemon on GTS (remember, GTS is only on the Mobile version of HOME).
7. When my Pokemon is finally traded have to once again make sure my game is off before switching to Switch HOME.
8. Transfer the Pokemon from Mobile HOME to Switch HOME.
9. Transfer Pokemon from Switch HOME back into my game.
10. Continue playing my game.

When instead I could have just:

1. Open Y-Comm.
2. Open the GTS Tab.
3. Put the Pokemon I want to trade in the GTS.
4. Immediately go back to playing my game until notified trade was made.
5. Open Y-Comm.
6. Open the GTS Tab and receive new Pokemon.

The above process taking only a couple of minutes instead of the several how it is now. Plus there's no constant saving or transferring back & forth between applications, it's all one smooth game experience!

Once again, I'm not saying HOME shouldn't have a GTS, on the contrary, since there's Pokemon who are literally stuck in HOME because they can't be transferred to Sword & Shield it does need a GTS just so those Pokemon could be traded (maybe also put in a battle simulator while you're thinking like that, GF). But they didn't need to remove the GTS from the games to do it!

People justify it with server costs, but my rebuttal is why did Bank have to be online anyway? Couldn't they have easily just stored the data on your console?

Putting my cynicism that it's because they wouldn't then be able to charge you a monthly fee, another reason why could maybe be not wanting to full up space on the Switch. Switch has 32 Gigabytes of storage which seems a lot but many of the bigger Switch games can be 10+ GBs. Plus if something happens to your Switch, there goes all your Pokemon. They're technically "safer" on the servers... as long as you pay the monthly hostage fee so that they don't get deleted...

Bro, I made a small post, and you make like a whole like mad lad essay about the stuff, and man, you just explained a whole buisness standpoint. Man. You went all out buckaroo. Kudos to you, absoulute mad lad.

Get used to that on these forums, we look WAY too deep into things sometimes. :blobnom:

Imagine if they made a super minimalist, GB-Color battle simulator for Home?

Also, I keep forgetting that dumpster fire has a mobile and a Switch version with mutually exclusive features.

What a mess. :pikuh:

I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded, circumventing the Switch's inability to have more than one app open at the same time.

But, as I said, "no logic".

I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded.

Anyways, why lock various normal features to the phone version and not the switch version, like, why did game freak make a whole app and stuff while it was basic features that should be on the switch.

Once again, no-one will understand game freak.

Anyways, why lock various normal features to the phone version and not the switch version, like, why did game freak make a whole app and stuff while it was basic features that should be on the switch.

Once again, no-one will understand game freak.
Exactly. It's one thing for the Mobile App to not have everything, but things exclusive to the Mobile App?

Game Freak has vapor for brains.

Imagine if they made a super minimalist, GB-Color battle simulator for Home?

Imagine if they also had alternate Pokemon battling styles like the Battle Frontier & Battle Revolution.
Imagine if they had (Super) Pokemon Contest, Pokeathlon, & Musicals (don't know if they would do Pokestar Studios).
Imagine they had a Poke Pelago.
Image if they had a Pokemon-Amie/Refresh/Camp.

GF could so SO many things that wouldn't take them much extra work as they would have the assets ready and would make the fans not only happy but people want to purchase mobile HOME's premium version!

First a paid service.
Me: Oh, it's nothing, you don't need it other to play splatoon and get a silly little virtual console.
YOU NEED ONLINE TO ACCESS POKEMON
Me:

Remember when Transfers between generations was not only free but could be done game-to-game.
TuKf61l.jpg

I'm trying to use Game Freak logic (as in "no logic") and they may have expected you to use the mobile Home app at the same time you are playing the game, so that you can keep playing while you traded.

Except to do the transfers you need to have your game off. Unless you're expecting the trade to take a while or don't plan of retrieving the trade asap you'll likely have the game off until the trade is done.

Why do we have to pay for a membership to play pokemon online then have to pay more money for another overpriced membership to do what the last one could do, but less.

AND YOU CAN't DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE THE ASSESTS!

Game freak: You're hired.

Back