Unpopular opinions

I think a lot of people would very subtly agree with this, and you can tell just how good Gen 3's roster of Pokemon is by how immensely popular many Gen 3 Pokemon are. The Hoenn starters are by far the most beloved set of starters to date aside from maybe the Kanto starters and Greninja. Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert are universally extremely popular and soooo many people love those three. Even their base forms are well known as well (and we all know Mudkip has achieved meme popularity). Beyond the starters though, you have a ton of iconic Pokemon in the fanbase. There's Gardevoir, Aggron, Flygon, Absol, Milotic, and of course Salamence and Metagross as standouts who have massively popular fanbases. Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza are also arguably among the most well received cover legendaries of the lot. Let's not forget how well known the Regis and Latis are, the Regis so much so that we got Regigigas a gen later and even as of late new members to the Regi group.

While the likes of Gens 1 and 2 had a whole lot of dud/not good Pokemon, Gen 3 by far has the biggest fanbase in terms of its Pokemon. Pretty much everyone at least knows many of those Pokemon and there are many of those that have become memorable and iconic over the years and are massive fan faves. It's true that as much as I love say, Gens 4 and 5, even they don't have as many Pokemon that have reached the level of iconic that many Gen 3 Pokemon have achieved.
Well I guess that answers that then. But seriously, thanks for the insightful response. It makes me happy that my love for Hoenn's Pokedex seems to be shared by a large proportion of the fanbase.

Salamance's design is definitely on the lower end for me
No I don't care about the Devilman ref, the wings look like cardboard
Similarly, Volbeat's nose ruins it compared to Illumise who lacks it
And Taillow's beak, though the sprite in RSE hides that. Sadly based on Finches in general having really wide beaks
Otherwise that's it for me for dislikes. I like Castform's other forms a lot better than default

Gen 3 Hoenn had a lot of great mon designs. I gotta stan Gen 4 tho. Especially Starter-wise. Best trio. Hoenn is definitely up there tho.

Gen 6 Hoenn had a bunch of Megas that... ain't it. Manectric is just ridiculous, Sharpedo is also straight-up silly, and Salamence is literally a joke.

All is forgiven tho, they gave my boy Gallade a cape. :swole:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Me

Stupid 2% encounter rate, garbage stats, pincushion-looking tail
Every Pokemon is liked by somebody. Even if its line is garbage in battle it's a wonderful Contest Pokemon if you're into those as a Coordinator. It has a great movepool for contests, especially the Cute category if you're playing the Hoenn games. Its evolution Delcatty is also a great partner for any Coordinator to have and use in contest performances.

It's all about what you're looking for in a Pokemon, so even Pokemon that aren't liked by competitive players for their lack of usefulness or even impracticality in battles in either competitive or in-game playthroughs can still be liked by some people for other reasons, especially if battling aspect is not of their priority. Everyone has different tastes for different reasons, in many cases purely for aesthetic reasons as well.

Must a Pokemon have "stats" and a "movepool"? Is it not enough for it to be cute and pink? :puff:
We already had several of those in Gen 1, two of which also evolved with a Moon Stone, and two of which have actual stats that still see use in competitive play.

I don't actually hate Skitty but its design doesn't do anything for me, and the line seems to add several needlessly difficult aspects together (rare encounter, stone evolution) to no real reward. When they gave its signature move to other Pokémon, well, that kinda removes any real incentive I would ever have to use it.

garchomp is ugly as hell
Definitely agree with this, never really understood the hype behind this guy design wise (ok, maybe I did when I was like 7 but my opinion has changed since then). Maybe this is controversial, but I think Gible is a far better design. I also think that many pseudo first stage mons in general have some of the best designs in the series, with some argubly almost or on par with their final evos. For example, we've got Larvitar, Gible, Deino, Bagon, Goomy and Dreepy to name a few, all of which have phenomenal designs imo. Come to think of it, I would say there's a number of regular first stage (and second stage in a few cases) mons that I prefer or at least hold in as high of a regard as their final stage. Some examples off the top of my head would be, Sandshrew, Numel, Phanpy, Totodile, Trapinch, Bulbasaur, Swinub, Grovyle, Shellos, Litwick, Wooper, Oddish, Spheal, Staryu, Joltik, Lotad, Venipede, Deerling, Shinx, Scyther, Solosis, Gligar and Haunter.

Every Pokemon is liked by somebody.
I'm a fan of Hoenn Zigzagoon.

It's an early-route derp that had enough positives to make it stand out from the horde. Fine early on when you just want a second teammate, then it hits 20 and you teach it Strength. Moveset can easily be any 4 out of Strength/Surf/Dig/Rock Smash/Cut, which just happens to be a base-80 STAB plus SE coverage on every single rock and steel in the game and also a perfect HM slave. Oh, and it passively adds items to your bag, bc why not. Not worth using in battle past about Norman, but it goes from being a solid early normal to a reliable source of items to a very good HM slave. That thing has been a boon to so many of my playthroughs it's scary.

One of the issues with Dexit is that there's literally no mon that GF can cut that won't piss off somebody.

Yes, absolutely spot on! Another fan of Hoenn Zigzagoon! A true masterstroke of a Pokemon both in terms of design and character creation. It's way cooler than Galarian Zigzagoon imo and such an overlooked mon because of its Galarian counterpart. It's probably just nostalgia speaking here but Zigzagoon has always been a very appealing mon to me for some reason and I've always had a soft spot for it. I loved the idea of having a little dude in my party who would pick up free stuff for me as kid and being able to learn so many HMs was extremely useful, especially considering this was at a time when I would only use 2-3 at most in a playthrough.

Lillie: heals your team throughout a long af dungeon with strong trainers
"omg pokemon stop babying me with this walking pokecenter"
Marnie: cheers you which....somehow sharply raises your stats against a weak ass grunt
"marnieeeee i love you best rival ever"
View attachment 306139
Well, I'd rather take a completely average character over a blatant Purity Sue that pretty much has a "LIKE ME OR YOU'RE EVIL!" sign on top of her. Being a walking Pokémon Center is not the problem with Lillie - on the contrary, it's her only redeeming trait.

But I have to agree in that Marnie is being overrated.

Last edited:
Is it popular to hate on Lillie? I thought most people liked Lillie.

She's annoying on subsequent runs because she gets so much screentime, but that's really not an issue with Lillie as a character but more with the fact that we still can't skip cutscenes. I think she's a good character, though I do wish we would have seen more of her transformation. Like sure, she has a different outfit, but I would have liked to have her battle an NPC or something to show the player that she has changed.

Lillie: heals your team throughout a long af dungeon with strong trainers
"omg pokemon stop babying me with this walking pokecenter"
Marnie: cheers you which....somehow sharply raises your stats against a weak ass grunt
"marnieeeee i love you best rival ever"
View attachment 306139
Almost forgot about Marnie.

Which makes sense, because she's pretty much a cardboard cutout. There are literally irrelevant NPCs that are more memorable than her. I don't get the hype with her besides the creepy scumbags. Kind of a wasted design tbh.

Lillie doesn't even get that and to make things worse, she's actively annoying with just how much screen time she gets. If you like her arc, you'll be fine. I'm slightly more concerned that you can't go down a corridor in aLOLa without running into a huge cutscene every time and most of them feature Lillie and Nebby playing Prison Break. She's at least miles ahead of Marnie. Which again, ain't even that hard.

Both of them can go straight to the trash can.

Well, I'd rather take a completely average character over a blatant Purity Sue that pretty much has a "LIKE ME OR YOU'RE EVIL!" sign on top of her. Being a walking Pokémon Center is Lillie's only positive trait.

But I have to agree in that Marnie is being overrated.
Agree on the "LIKE ME OR YOU'RE EVIL" aspect of her, ESPECIALLY on USUM, where she steals Nebby away from her mother, who was trying to help Alola on this timeline, and no one calls her out because "oooh you saved the cute critter you go girl".

Anyways, the point is that I've never seen anyone call out Marnie for this illogical, ridiculous, overkill stat boost, but Lillie gets flak for healing you a couple times.

Is it popular to hate on Lillie? I thought most people liked Lillie.

She's annoying on subsequent runs because she gets so much screentime, but that's really not an issue with Lillie as a character but more with the fact that we still can't skip cutscenes. I think she's a good character, though I do wish we would have seen more of her transformation. Like sure, she has a different outfit, but I would have liked to have her battle an NPC or something to show the player that she has changed.
Alola's campaign is pretty much Lillie's journey, except we control a silent protagonist and watch her grow instead of being from first person perspective. That's the biggest wasted opportunity with this game imo.

If she were the main protagonist that decides to try out the Island Challenge, defeats Team Skull who has been targetting her, defeats the Foundation and her mother in battle (the scene where she confronts her in Ultra space is still good to see though), proves Gladion she can defend herself and becomes Alola's first champion after battling the man who has taken care of her since she ran away...all of this sounds more satisfying since nearly everything in the main story revolves around Lillie, so if she were the heroine, that could've been amazing.

Also not sure if this is unpopular but I'm glad Lillie didn't turn out to be a Nihilego posing as a human, her dressing like that because of Lusamine abusive and controlling behavior was more interesting.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Agree on the "LIKE ME OR YOU'RE EVIL" aspect of her, ESPECIALLY on USUM, where she steals Nebby away from her mother, who was trying to help Alola on this timeline, and no one calls her out because "oooh you saved the cute critter you go girl".
I don't think Lillie knew that, all Lillie knew was Lusamine was torturing Nebby to open wormholes after meeting with these strange people claiming to be from another world. Now Gladion seem to know a bit more, his objection was them essentially tossing away the "Beast Killers" (and maybe knew his mother would try to hijack the operation). Because remember, the Ultra Recon Squad's goal was capturing Necrozma to not only prevent it from eating more light but also siphoning the light from it. Lusamine decided she wanted to conserve Necrozma, not quite sure what she had in mind but at the very least she didn't want the URS to siphon light off of Necrozma.

There's also nothing implying that Lusamine still didn't torment Lillie for a while until the URS arrived. The only difference (sadly) of the USUM timeline is the recent appearance of the URS, everything else happened as it would have normally which would include the disappearance of Mohn and the slipping of Lusamine's insanity. And all the URS appearance did was make Lusamine's goal look like they had good intentions, focusing on Necrozma instead of Nihilego, and she didn't end up fusing & poisoned by the Nihilego thus could reconcile with Lillie.

Alola's campaign is pretty much Lillie's journey, except we control a silent protagonist and watch her grow instead of being from first person perspective. That's honestly the biggest wasted opportunity with this game imo.

If she were the main protagonist that decides to try out the Island Challenge, defeats Team Skull who has been targetting her, defeats the Foundation and her mother in battle (the scene where she confronts her in Ultra space is still good to see though), proves Gladion she can defend herself and becomes Alola's first champion after battling the man who has taken care of her since she ran away...nearly everything in the main story revolves around Lillie, so that could've been amazing.
Eh, I think people would consider her even a bigger Mary Sue then. Much like with other games past V, there are ways the player could be written to be more proactive and involved with the story than just the "wrench in the works" hero but GF just don't want to push the narrative. The player does play a role still that really only the player could do, but its a role parallel to other characters (it's this character's story but they can't be the one to do the thing, so they have the player be the one to do the thing) rather then it being something which involves the player's personal story.

Don't know how to squeeze that into SM's story, I'd say maybe make the player more involved with the Team Skull stuff though I always felt that's something Hau should have since Guzma was a student of Hala so there's a semi-narrative between them: Guzma failed to live up to Hala's expectations and Hau wants to exceed them but Hala keeps him at arm length.

Hey, it's on par with cheering on raids putting up screens.

Not even stat boosts. Whole ass screens. :pikuh:
Or full healing everyone's Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)