Electrode (RBY Ubers) [QC 0/2] [GP 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bouttadie.jpg

OVERVIEW]
Electrode has one thing that gives it a spot in the RBY Ubers metagame, its Speed. Outspeeding common offensive threats like Jolteon, Alakazam, and Mewtwo. Base 140 Speed arms Electrode with a 27.45 critical hit rate. In addition, Electrode’s speed allows guaranteed paralysis if the opponent isn’t carrying Rhydon or Golem. Other than that, Electrode has a mediocre Special stat, bulk, and an even worse movepool. There are other Electric-types that can perform far better than Electrode in any RBY Ubers match like Jolteon, which still holds a very high speed stat tying with Mewtwo, and can dish out quite the beating when used correctly, or Zapdos, that can hold its own versus the tier behemoths. Except, they don't have Explosion, the one move that keeps Electrode somewhat viable. With Explosion, Electrode gains the ability to heavily damage or take out valuable targets on the opposing team, like Mewtwo, Chansey, or Mew. Electrode can weave in and out of battle, fishing for critical hits, Paralyzing opponents, and exploding when the time is right.

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Screech
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Electrode’s Speed might be its one trick, but it’s able to allow some offensive utility. Its Speed gives Electrode near guaranteed paralysis on any of the opponent’s Pokemon, provided they aren’t a Ground-type. Paralysis completely cripples opposing frail Pokemon like Alakazam, Gengar, and Tauros which rely on their speed to be an offensive threat. Thunderbolt will be your main STAB attack that can dish out some decent damage with can become nasty with Electrode's critical hit rate. That being said, a critical hit Thunderbolt, can be used to force out Light Screen Starmie and Amnesia boosting Slowbro.

Explosion is Electrode’s selling point, so don’t waste it. Your primary explosion target is going to be Mewtwo. Mewtwo should only be blown up on if it’s heavily weakened - 45% or below. In the event that Mewtwo isn’t below that mark, you’re better off weakening it with a different Pokemon if possible, or paralyzing it to allow your team to play around it. Do keep in mind that Electrode is still very frail, and shouldn’t stay in on an Amnesia boosted Mewtwo. It is worth noting that from max HP, Electrode does have a 30.8% to survive a +2 Psychic from Mewtwo. This means you could technically survive long enough to get off a Screech, and then explode to almost KO Mewtwo. Although you’re much better off simply having a teammate do all the damage, and have Electrode finish Mewtwo off. You can also go for a critical hit Explosion versus Mewtwo if you're in a pinch but remember that this is a desperate move.

Mewtwo is far from Electrode’s only Explosion target. Under the assumption that you feel that you can handle Mewtwo without Electrode, you can be much more loose when exploding. More offensive forms of Mew that don’t carry Reflect can have a decent chunk taken out of them with Explosion. If the Mew is also not carrying Earthquake, you’ve hit the Jackpot. You can Screech while they’re setting up, and then explode in their face. Chansey is also a fantastic Explosion target. It doesn’t take explosions well at all, and when knocked out can offer your team’s Mewtwo to go absolutely crazy. Of course, when clicking Explosion, always be wary of Pokemon that could switch in like Gengar or Rhydon, or Explosion fodder like Jynx. Explosion is Electrode’s main selling point so I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT WASTE IT.

Screech’s utility shouldn’t be overlooked, as Electrode’s Explosions become powerful after screech is used. After a screech, Electrode becomes very powerful, dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Zapdos, and Slowbro. Electrode also notably OHKOs Chansey, Tauros, and Starmie after using Screech. This can lead to a 50:50 where the opposing Pokemon will either risk staying in or switch out to bait the Explosion.

Electrode does have a considerable niche as a lead. It’s guaranteed paralysis is very nice for supporting your team. There are plenty of opposing offensive leads that will be scared off at the risk of taking a paralysis. Paralysis can allow some of your own slower offensive teammates such as Rhydon, Snorlax, or Slowbro to come in safely. Electrode can reliably bait in Rhydon or Golem, allowing a Water-type such as Starmie or Slowbro to get the favorable matchup against Rhydon or Golem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

As stated prior, Electrode’s movepool is very bare, It does have a few options that it can use despite this. While the extra damage given with Thunder is nice, Electrode doesn’t want to run the risk of a miss. Especially in ubers where a miss could very likely mean Electrode’s KO. Light Screen and Reflect allow Electrode to live a few more hits than it could prior, but Electrode’s offensive moves come in far more handy and it will be exploding anyway. Electrode already lacks a good Defense stat, so Reflect and Light Screen aren’t great for Electrode.

Checks and Counters
===================

Exeggutor: Exeggutor’s Grass-type completely shuts down any of Electrode’s attempts to use Thunderbolt. Thunder Wave could lead to the risk of Electrode becoming paralyzed itself by Exeggutor’s Stun Spore. Exploding is also not a great option, as there are always higher priority targets when it comes to Explosion.

Rhydon and Golem: While they’re far less common in RBY Ubers, they still shut Electrode down instantly. Even if you’re lucky enough to catch a Screech on one while they’re swapping in, Explosion still doesn’t do much.

Gengar: Gengar can effectively play around Electrode when used with a teammate that doesn’t mind paralysis, such as Chansey, Golem, or Rhydon. Gengar can easily come in on a thunderbolt from Electrode because of Gengar’s high Special stat, and can ignore one of Electrode’s Explosion attempts.

Paralysis: Paralysis removing Electrode’s Speed can turn Electrode from an offensive threat, to death fodder in one turn. Screech does allow Electrode to re-apply the stat changes, so Electrode in theory could gain its Speed back. If Electrode is paralyzed and you can’t safely get off a screech, your best bet is simply to explode and deal some damage to an opponent.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[RexTheNoName,524359]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Few things I wanna put words in for...
  • KOing Mewtwo is far from the only thing Electrode can do. Having such high Speed means that it gets virtually guaranteed paralysis in a lead situation. The only thing stopping that is Rhydon switching in, which isn't used too much.
  • Mention Electrode's 27.3% critical hit rate, it adds a ton of volatility to its matchups.
  • Mention that Screech reapplies Speed drops from paralysis, so it isn't completely out of the running when paralyzed. I think you have the concept of Screech slightly off: it's mainly to force switches and help Electrode's Explosion KO things.
I'm no Ubers expert, but these are big parts of Electrode's identity as a Pokemon.

Few things I wanna put words in for...
  • KOing Mewtwo is far from the only thing Electrode can do. Having such high Speed means that it gets virtually guaranteed paralysis in a lead situation. The only thing stopping that is Rhydon switching in, which isn't used too much.
  • Mention Electrode's 27.3% critical hit rate, it adds a ton of volatility to its matchups.
  • Mention that Screech reapplies Speed drops from paralysis, so it isn't completely out of the running when paralyzed. I think you have the concept of Screech slightly off: it's mainly to force switches and help Electrode's Explosion KO things.
I'm no Ubers expert, but these are big parts of Electrode's identity as a Pokemon.
Already talked to him about those things in my Discord pm. Electrode is a good one time Mewtwo check but there is more to this mon. Being able to soften check Reflect Mew, Chansey, Exeggutor and Slowbro need to be mentioned.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
I'm not going to sugar coat it. This analysis is nowhere near the level it needs to be. Electrode is bad, but it is somewhat viable, and if we're going to write an analysis for it, it's going to have to be thorough. This analysis is going to have to be like 3 or 4 times longer and cover way more points than what it has now. Writing a Pokemon like this is harder than writing other support mons like Gengar, because it takes more meta knowledge to figure out how to get the most out of its niche. Less than a week ago you posted a team on RoA discord asking for help with your Electrode team. That team showed a lack of a fundamental understanding of RBY Ubers. Your Mewtwo didn't even have Amnesia.I want to be clear though, this isn't a diss at you. It's fine to be new and everyone starts somewhere. You tried your best with a write-up and it shows that you are capable of writing out and analysis about Pokemon. Honestly, this analysis isn't nearly as bad as other ones I've seen and that I've QCed before. All said and done, this is a good effort. However, everything does tell me you aren't ready to write up a RBY Ubers analysis yet, especially for a niche choice like this.

I'm not calling this dead on arrival. But unless you're really willing to put in the time and effort to familiarize yourself to fill in this write-up, it's best to abandon the project. However, nobody is going to be jumping to write and Electrode analysis, and it's really clear that you like the Pokemon. So, you have time, and you can ask for help. But again, it's not going to be easy and will take some time.

Last edited:
Blue = add
Red = remove
Green = comments

View attachment 317118

[OVERVIEW]
Electrode has one thing that gives it a spot in the RBY Ubers metagame, its Speed. Base 140 Speed arms Electrode with a 27.45 critical hit rate. In addition, Electrode outspeeds everything else in the entirety of RBY, including, of course, Mewtwo. Other than that, Electrode has a mediocre Special stat, bulk, and an even worse movepool. There are other Electric-types that can perform far better than Electrode in any RBY Ubers match Primarily like Jolteon, which still holds a very high speed stat tying with Mewtwo, and can dish out quite the beating when used correctly, or Zapdos, that can hold its own versus the tier behemoths. Except, Jolteon they doesn’t have Explosion, the one move that keeps Electrode somewhat viable. With Explosion, Electrode gains the ability to heavily damage or take out valuable targets on the opposing team, like Mewtwo, Chansey, or Mew. Electrode can weave in and out of battle, fishing for critical hits, Paralyzing opponents, and exploding when the time is right.

[SET]
name: Explosion and Paralysis Support Standart
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Screech
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Electrode’s Speed might be its one trick, but it’s able to allow some offensive utility. Its Speed gives Electrode near guaranteed paralysis on any of the opponent’s Pokemon, provided they aren’t a Ground-type. Paralysis completely cripples opposing frail Pokemons like Alakazam, Gengar, and Tauros which rely on their speed to be an offensive threat. Thunderbolt will be your main STAB attack that can dish out some decent damage but not great damage for RBY Ubers with can become nasty with Electrode's critical hit rate. That being said, critical hit Thunderbolt, which are extremely common, can still dish out great damage and can be used to force out Light Screen Starmie and Amnesia boosting Slowbro. This is of course because critical hits ignore any stat boosts.

Explosion is Electrode’s selling point, so don’t waste it. Screech can be used to jack up the power of Explosion, allowing it to nuke plenty of Pokemons. Your primary explosion target is going to be Mewtwo. Mewtwo should only be blown up on if it’s heavily weakened— 45% or below. In the event that Mewtwo isn’t below that mark, you’re better off weakening it with a different Pokemon if possible, or paralyzing it to allow your team to play around it. Do keep in mind that Electrode is still very frail, and shouldn’t stay in on an Amnesia boosted Mewtwo. It is worth noting that from max HP, Electrode does have a 30.8% to survive a +2 Psychic from Mewtwo. This means you could technically survive long enough to get off a Screech, and then explode to completely destroy almost KO Mewtwo. Although you’re much better off simply having a teammate do all the damage, and have Electrode finish Mewtwo off. This calculation can come in handy if you’re in a pinch. You can also go for a critical hit Explosion versus Mewtwo if you're in a pinch but remember that this is a desperate move.

Mewtwo is far from Electrode’s only Explosion target. Under the assumption that you feel that you can handle Mewtwo without Electrode, you can be much more loose when exploding. More offensive forms of Mew that don’t carry Reflect can have a decent chunk taken out of them with Explosion. If the Mew is also not carrying Earthquake, you’ve hit the Jackpot. You can Screech while they’re setting up, and then explode in their face. Chansey is also a fantastic Explosion target. It doesn’t take explosions well at all, and when knocked out can offer your team’s Mewtwo to go absolutely crazy. Of course, when clicking Explosion always be wary of Pokemon that could switch in like Gengar or Rhydon, or Explosion fodder like Jynx. Explosion is Electrode’s main selling point so I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT WASTE IT.

Electrode does have a considerable niche as a lead. It’s guaranteed paralysis is very nice for supporting your team. There are plenty of opposing offensive leads that will be scared off at the risk of taking a paralysis. Some of these mons are Tauros, Gengar, and especially Starmie.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

As stated prior, Electrode’s movepool is very bare, It does have a few options that it can use despite this. While the extra damage given with Thunder is nice, Electrode doesn’t want to run the risk of a miss. Especially in ubers where a miss could very likely mean Electrode’s death KO. Light Screen and Reflect allow Electrode to live many a few more hits than it could prior, but Electrode’s offensive moves come in far more handy and it will be explodiong anyway.

Checks and Counters
===================

Exeggutor: Exeggutor’s Grass-type completely shuts down any of Electrode’s attempts to use Thunderbolt. Thunder Wave could lead to the risk of your Electrode becoming paralyzed itself by Exeggutor’s Stun Spore. Exploding is also not a great option, as there are always higher priority targets when it comes to Explosion.

Rhydon and Golem: While they’re far less common in RBY Ubers, they still shut Electrode down instantly and it’s not hard to see why. Even if you’re lucky enough to catch a Screech on one while they’re swapping in, Explosion still doesn’t do much.

Paralysis: Paralysis is just about a death sentence for Electrode. Losing Electrode’s speed makes it little more than death fodder. Keep in mind how I said “Just About” As screech can re-apply stat changes in Gen 1. So in a pinch, electrode can get rid of the speed decrease if needed. I really didn't liked how you phrased this one. You also need to add a Gengar mention in Checks and Counters since it takes little from Thunderbolt and is immune to Explosion.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[RexTheNoName,524359]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Tag again after you did those changes.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
So this has recently been edited and I'm thinking of giving some pointers. Obligatory "not QC", so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Caetano posted right before I finished this so prioritize his advice first.

Overview
Electrode has one thing that gives it a spot in the RBY Ubers metagame, its speed. Base 140 speed arms electrode with a 27.45 critical hit rate. In addition, Electrode outspeeds everything else in the entirety of RBY, including, of course, mewtwo.
I would reword this a touch. The way it's sold as-is doesn't seem like much, when it absolutely is, as otherwise, I wouldn't be here QCing this analysis.

I would order it like this, changes in bold;
  • The spot quote
  • Then what it notably outspeeds
  • Then the offensive volatility provided by the critical hit rate
  • Then add on how it gives virtually guaranteed paralysis so long as GolDon isn't present
The near-guaranteed paralysis is a very important point to raise imo. Don't oversell it, as Jolteon effectively does the same thing outside of this, Aerodactyl (lol) and the Mewtwo MUs. You go over it in Set Details, but it's absolutely something that should go in the Overview and warrants repeating, as it is part of what makes Electrode what it is.

I think it may be worth re-ordering the Overview into a "Positives" paragraph and a "Negatives" paragraph. Parallels can be a bit difficult to read, though it isn't inherently bad. Feel free to disregard this.

Set Details
Explosion is Electrode’s selling point, so don’t waste it. Screech can be used to jack up the power of Explosion, allowing it to nuke plenty of mons.
You should really name some notable targets to sell this properly. I brainstormed this myself and found that Mewtwo is KOed if it has taken even 1%. It nearly KOes Slowbro too. If you need assistance I can do more proper calcs, though all you really need is the PS Calculator and a copy of the VR to go down. Log them and then list the good ones in the analysis. Maybe send the calcs to pacattacc for the RBY BoomDex while we're at it?
  • Electrode Explosion vs. -2 Slowbro: 305-359 (77.6 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electrode does have a considerable niche as a lead. It’s guaranteed paralysis is very nice for supporting your team. There are plenty of opposing offensive leads that will be scared off at the risk of taking a paralysis. Some of these mons are Tauros, Gengar, and especially Starmie.
Name some Pokemon that can take advantage of openings provided by paralysis. Electrode is also an effective lure for GolDon, so naming a Pokemon that can take advantage of being brought in at the same time could help. This can absolutely be fleshed out.

Other Options
Light Screen and Reflect allow Electrode to live many more hits than it could prior, but electrode’s offensive moves come in far more handy.
Something like "this isn't worth the opportunity cost, as Electrode isn't that great defensively in the first place" may be better wording.

Checks & Counters
Generally, there's some "obvious" info that should be noted. Nothing wrong with adding objectivity.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm ending this analysis. PS right now makes me angry and thats not good. not the angry where you get mildly fustrated angry like i cannot handle it and im about to explode. I'm sorry to those who put effort into the analysis and i hope you can understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)