Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

My comment is comparable to the one I did for DP remakes.

I like the idea, it's something fresh, and a interesting attempt to a pseudo-openworld with a larger scope than just a single area like in SwSh.

But man those graphics looked terrible to me. Like, Wild Area in SwSh looks better than the one shown in the trailer.
There were a couple parts where the trailer literally lagged at 5 fps. Not the best first impression.

But, since I do actually like the idea... I really hope the finished product actually doesn't suck.

I'm really, really worried about this.

If this is the direction Game Freak wants to take the series to, I don't think I'll stay much longer.

Open-world is a mistake, no matter the genre or the franchise.

My comment is comparable to the one I did for DP remakes.

I like the idea, it's something fresh, and a interesting attempt to a pseudo-openworld with a larger scope than just a single area like in SwSh.

But man those graphics looked terrible to me. Like, Wild Area in SwSh looks better than the one shown in the trailer.
There were a couple parts where the trailer literally lagged at 5 fps. Not the best first impression.

But, since I do actually like the idea... I really hope the finished product actually doesn't suck.
I absolutely think you are overestimate how nice the wild area looked. This has its fair share of probelms (YOU CAN COUNT THE FRAMES OF MOTION ON THE POKEMON) but visually this is much more interesting.

That said I dont like it, I already dont care for open world titles, and I don't trust gamefreak to do an open world game. If anything this is the game they should have outsourced.

If this is the direction Game Freak wants to take the series to, I don't think I'll stay much longer.
Well... it isnt GameFreaks.

If you noticed, for first time since ever, this game isnt just GF, but also done by a 2nd company with Masuda directing.

For good or for best... well, that's up to the games themselves to show.

I find the choice of starters pretty peculiar though. A gen 2 fire type, gen 4 water type, and gen 7 grass type. I really wonder why those specific 3.

I absolutely think you are overestimate how nice the wild area looked. This has its fair share of probelms (YOU CAN COUNT THE FRAMES OF MOTION ON THE POKEMON) but visually this is much more interesting.
I don't think the wild area looks good, but I definitely think this doesn't look great either.

Now, it's 1 yearish before the release. I am confident by then, the game will look significantly better, so I'll just keep an eye on them.

Differently from most of you, I find the transition to open-world a intriguing possibility, IF DONE RIGHT.
Big IF there.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find the choice of starters pretty peculiar though. A gen 2 fire type, gen 4 water type, and gen 7 grass type. I really wonder why those specific 3.
I guess they want to have representation by all the "eras" of Pokémon without being inundated with complaints about Kanto pandering.

Typhlosion is also the only Fire-type starter not to be anthropomorphic or Charizard.

I mean, they probably didn't just want the regular Sinnoh starters with BDSP launching shortly beforehand, so no matter which 3 they picked, you'd likely be wondering why.

I mean, they probably didn't just want the regular Sinnoh starters with BDSP launching shortly beforehand, so no matter which 3 they picked, you'd likely be wondering why.
I guess they want to have representation by all the "eras" of Pokémon without being inundated with complaints about Kanto pandering.

Typhlosion is also the only Fire-type starter not to be anthropomorphic or Charizard.
I guess you 2 make valid points. Also I am stupid and forgot Osha isnt Piplup :facepalm:

Something I noticed from the trailers is that apparently you can just... fling the pokeball at wild pokemon and catch them without battling.
Not a fan if that's the "intended" way to catch Pokemon. Sure it's quick and not tedious, but at same time, it does feel... off as method.

I guess you 2 make valid points. Also I am stupid and forgot Osha isnt Piplup :facepalm:

Something I noticed from the trailers is that apparently you can just... fling the pokeball at wild pokemon and catch them without battling.
Not a fan if that's the "intended" way to catch Pokemon. Sure it's quick and not tedious, but at same time, it does feel... off as method.
There were some details about a new battle system in some leaks which I'm probably not allowed to discuss here, but yeah.

I was hoping for good DP remakes, but this is much better. DP remakes look like they will be another disappointment for me, so I honestly no longer care about that anymore.

Now this is the thing I wanted the longest aside from Pokken Tournament. Open world Pokemon adventure similar to Breath of the Wild. Just imagining a Rapidash running around the wild grass, but no matter how much you try, you won't catch up to it.
Or seeing something like Ho-Oh flying in the sky teasing you that you have to put up the work to get to it (likely Ho-Oh won't be in the game, but this was just an example).
And real time combat... oh man (´w ` )

I really need to get a Switch now.

man those graphics looked terrible to me. Like, Wild Area in SwSh looks better than the one shown in the trailer.

Like seriously you have to be tripping on some strong-ass drugs to think that these graphics suck. These graphics look 200x better than SWSH, and this is coming from someone who liked the SWSH graphics (except for the trees).

Also when I first saw the leaks I was a bit worried about them doing two Sinnoh games at once, but hearing more about it, I think this is a great idea. From now on, when they do remakes, they should do a traditional one like BDSP and another Legends game that explores the past of that region. Like imagine a Pokémon Legends: Unova game where we finally get to see the Original Dragon. Or a Pokémon Legends: Kalos game where we get to participate in the ancient war and learn more about AZ and his family. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
I think the graphics looked pretty great, especially in the non-streamed trailer. I'm really excited for a game set in the distant past in the Pokemon world. It should be really cool to explore, and hopefully add a lot to the lore. I'm interested to see more about the combat system as well. I wonder what elements of this game they will end up using for Gen IX. I don't think the mainline Pokemon games will change the combat system since it would end VGC (although you never know), but maybe they will use some of the open world design. Maybe Legends will be a new spin-off series like Let's Go. It's awesome to have 2 big Pokemon games to look forward to over the next 12-18 months.

I think most fans like the little bit of open world style they used in the Sw/Sh DLC, so I'm really looking forward to where they take it in a full game.

Last edited:
Honestly, my interest in BDSP is 100% "I can finally trade my Empoleon, Honchkrow, Arceus and Bibarel up to Gen 8! Yay!" (Sinnoh was always a mixed bag for me, with the best Pokemon and champion of any gen but the most forgettable plot and evil team of any gen) - in terms of actual gameplay, this looks way more interesting. Some sort of Wild Area/Let's Go/Breath Of The Wild hybrid? Why the fuck not, sign me up.

It's an experimental spinoff in the vein of Let's Go. Chill.

Last edited:
This looks AWESOME!! This is seriously the most excited I've been for a new Pokémon game in a while -- it can't be said to be going through the motions in any way aside from perhaps battle (which still at least looks nicer than usual) and everything about its premise is so so much more interesting than I ever expected from this. And it's about Gen 4! Because they suddenly really want to get on my good side!

Visually this has already hit a home run. I'm so excited to hear more about this.

Pokemon fans: GameFreak is so lazy and they never try to do anything innovative. They should try to make a different game for once.
GameFreak: Pokemon Legends Arceus
Pokemon fans: No not like that

:P (Sorry, couldn't resist the joke)

More seriously, I doubt Pokemon Legends is going to be the format for Gen 9, which must already be in early or mid development. Until the Japanese site categorizes it as main series or spin off there's no way to know which way GF sees it. If PLA turns out to dramatically outsell SwSh and Gen 9... then maybe it's time for one to worry if they don't like the Legends style. :P

Based on the short preview, definitely interested in seeing how this will turn out. I thought the evolution of the wild area in the DLC was great, and so I am tentatively optimistic for this. That said, I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, so maybe I just haven't developed a distaste for open world yet. :) However, I am happy to see that the combat is still turn-based. I don't much care for real-time, though it looks like it could have fit in this game.

Edit: According to Serebii the press release says Legends is single player:

Last edited:
Pokemon fans: GameFreak is so lazy and they never try to do anything innovative. They should try to make a different game for once.
GameFreak: Pokemon Legends Arceus
Pokemon fans: No not like that

:P (Sorry, couldn't resist the joke)
(I know it's a joke, but I precisely never wanted them to change the formula, but giving a good effort)

I really hope this is just an experiment, as it's a Need for Speed 2015 level of disappointment on my part.

That seems very reductive. Open world is only now being given credit for and explored, and most "new" types have a shaky beginning. Plus, its not like we havent had good open world games before. Its fair to not like open world, but saying theyre always a mistake is too much

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is gonna be a fascinating concept. The idea of an action RPG in full on 3D in ancient Sinnoh sounds remarkably fascinating and it having a fully explorable world sounds like it'll be fun.

I'm looking forward to this, but also kind of hoping this sets the standard for future Pokemon titles or at least explores the full potential of Pokemon in 3D. This will be interesting for sure!

Like seriously you have to be tripping on some strong-ass drugs to think that these graphics suck. These graphics look 200x better than SWSH, and this is coming from someone who liked the SWSH graphics (except for the trees).
Unfortunately for you and your enjoyable direct attacks to me and others, I am not

Both the wild area and the in-battle look comparably if not worse to the Wild area in SwSh.

I sincerely hope the game gets more polish by the time it's released, because yes, while some panoramas looked amazing, the actual gameplay sections looked featuring both low quality textures, bad FPS, and even jagged borders (something not even SwSh had).
SwSh could soooorta get away with it because the poor texturing and FPS drops were limited to the Wild Area while in-battle and in the cities route the graphic was more or less gorgeous (minus some render distance popups... looking at you Onix). However, if the entire game is a "wild area", it gets eye hurting pretty quickly.

I'd still very likely be getting the game, even with a graphic this bad, but I'd also really enjoy it more if it gets improved.

Seriously I think this is the first time I've ever seen a gamer say they don't like open-world lmaoooooo
Eh? I see folks lament openworld a fair amount. I know I don't care for them. That said I'd never go so far as to label them a mistake.

That said for pokemon it is a mistake because I don't have an iota of trust for gamefreak doing anything with the concept competently. They just put their toes into the waters with the Wild Area and it took until the DLC to approach levels of "well this is a quaint little area to explore". Goign from that to Full Game isssss....ehhhhhhh. BOTW worked (albeit, it's not for me, but it clearly resonated!) because the zelda team got to put a lot of time into the concept and development to make sure it worked.
I would actually have more trust for the concept if this was the outsourced game (granted I'm not sure to who, I doubt they'd ever be able to get monolith or anything).

Anyway despite my doom & gloom I guess I'll note they refer to this as an "action-adventure rpg" so maybe its not really open world at all and this is all a silly misunderstanding.

The site is up, by the way https://90144806.pokemon.com/en-us/...m_campaign=legendsarceus&utm_term=226announce

Unfortunately for you and your enjoyable direct attacks to me and others, I am not

Both the wild area and the in-battle look comparably if not worse to the Wild area in SwSh.

I sincerely hope the game gets more polish by the time it's released, because yes, while some panoramas looked amazing, the actual gameplay sections looked featuring both low quality textures, bad FPS, and even jagged borders (something not even SwSh had).
SwSh could soooorta get away with it because the poor texturing and FPS drops were limited to the Wild Area while in-battle and in the cities route the graphic was more or less gorgeous (minus some render distance popups... looking at you Onix). However, if the entire game is a "wild area", it gets eye hurting pretty quickly.

I'd still very likely be getting the game, even with a graphic this bad, but I'd also really enjoy it more if it gets improved.
worldlie i'm sorry but none of those graphics look worse than this

Textures are improved, lighting's improved,...it's not great and there's still room for improvement but as someone who has also put a LOT of time into the game I can say that Legends does look better across the boarad.

Performance is another issue, however. Boy...those....frames of animation......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)