Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

This is a dumb question for sure, but id appreciate it if anyone had advice.

I love being able to recreate my favourite competitive teams in game where possible, which raises issues with certain transfer exclusive moves being hard to come by. Atm I've loved using choice band Weavile, but as Knock Off is a transfer only move, I can't recreate the set. Are there any good Weavile sets that don't require Knock Off or is that mandatory to be used well?

I love being able to recreate my favourite competitive teams in game where possible, which raises issues with certain transfer exclusive moves being hard to come by. Atm I've loved using choice band Weavile, but as Knock Off is a transfer only move, I can't recreate the set. Are there any good Weavile sets that don't require Knock Off or is that mandatory to be used well?
Unfortunately, it's basically mandatory. That's not to say that Weavile can't put in work without it, but you will be worse off for not having it 100% of the time. It's both your most powerful Dark STAB and extremely valuable item displacement in one package.

the only other thing I have seen used is beat up, as it offers more power if your team is healthy, but yh, knock off is very very important fo weavile

Katy

Banned deucer.
I figured thatd be the case haha, thanks all for replying nonetheless!

Follow up Q - what Volcarona sets are doing the most rn?
:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz​

This set is currently ran on offensive teams, Flamethrower hits Steel-types such as Corviknight, Scizor, and Skarmory, whereas Psychic can help against Toxapex, Bug Buzz is Volcaronas secondary STAB and great. Heavy-Duty Boots is mandatory because Volcarona is prone to Stealth Rocks otherwise. Alternatively Fiery Dance can be ran if you aim to get a possible +1 in SpA while damaging the opponent. This set misses out on hitting Heatran however, so teampartners such as Garchomp make up for that weakness.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Oh yeah I completely forgot about this. Thanks

You could use night slash instead but you'll miss out on a lot of utility

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Imma double post since my last post was an answer and this is a question

How is Scizor used these days? What kind of teams does it fit on? What is its role? What are some of its common partners and lastly, what sets are the common ones?

Why is Mienshao tiered NUBL in standard Gen 8 formats, but is also Nat Dex UU at the same time? It doesn't get any big removed tools like Pursuit that I know of, however it has a decent Special Attack stat, so maybe it could use Hidden Power? Surely that can't be it, though

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Mienshao tiered NUBL in standard Gen 8 formats, but is also Nat Dex UU at the same time? It doesn't get any big removed tools like Pursuit that I know of, however it has a decent Special Attack stat, so maybe it could use Hidden Power? Surely that can't be it, though
Mienshao appears to be C rank on the UU viability rankings, so it's probably worth asking why it's not considered to be very good in the UU SQSA thread instead of here, as this forum relates to OU rather than UU. It's also worth noting that Mienshao is not ranked on the NDUU Viability Rankings despite being NDUU by usage, though I have no idea whether that is just a noob trap used enough by noobs to be in the tier or a small playerbase skewing data.

Either way: you can't compare metagames 1:1 because ND UU is very different to SS UU. As a quick note, I think the way drops were managed in Crown Tundra likely had a large impact on a lot of Pokémon's placements/usage. A lot of people (especially less invested players who don't read the forums) will just build from the teambuilder list under the assumption that those are what is viable, but because the first set of quick drops was based entirely on OU usage, Pokemon that are historic UU staples like Torn-I and Mienshao dropped multiple tiers in one shift, leading to weird tier placements. Things like this can also often lead to things not being fully discovered/explored for a few months, with low usage = assumed low viability, and for all we know, a set could be discovered tomorrow that takes tournaments by storm and catapults it into the A ranks (tho this is very unlikely).

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Mienshao appears to be C rank on the UU viability rankings, so it's probably worth asking why it's not considered to be very good in the UU SQSA thread instead of here, as this forum relates to OU rather than UU. It's also worth noting that Mienshao is not ranked on the NDUU Viability Rankings despite being NDUU by usage, though I have no idea whether that is just a noob trap used enough by noobs to be in the tier or a small playerbase skewing data.

Either way: you can't compare metagames 1:1 because ND UU is very different to SS UU. As a quick note, I think the way drops were managed in Crown Tundra likely had a large impact on a lot of Pokémon's placements/usage. A lot of people (especially less invested players who don't read the forums) will just build from the teambuilder list under the assumption that those are what is viable, but because the first set of quick drops was based entirely on OU usage, Pokemon that are historic UU staples like Torn-I and Mienshao dropped multiple tiers in one shift, leading to weird tier placements. Things like this can also often lead to things not being fully discovered/explored for a few months, with low usage = assumed low viability, and for all we know, a set could be discovered tomorrow that takes tournaments by storm and catapults it into the A ranks (tho this is very unlikely).
The National Dex ladders are weird with tiering like this, as there are lots of noob players. Regieleki is unranked yet is one of the most used Pokemon in the tier at #13, with about 11% usage. People are really obsessed with using super fast Pokemon, aren't they... In Nat Dex OU, Mega Latias, an A+ (though maybe could be dropped a bit now) premier threat, is actually UUBL, and it got less usage last month than the unranked Dragonite.

Last edited:
How is SubRoost Kyurem, Nasty Plot Z-Hydreigon, and Serperior's matchup against Boots Blissey and Eviolite Chansey? On paper they look like they have a good or decent matchup but how do they do in reality? The format is National Dex by the way.

Katy

Banned deucer.
How is SubRoost Kyurem, Nasty Plot Z-Hydreigon, and Serperior's matchup against Boots Blissey and Eviolite Chansey? On paper they look like they have a good or decent matchup but how do they do in reality? The format is National Dex by the way.
For NatDex purposes you may consider asking your question here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3672179/ as this is an entirely different environment than Current Gen OU. If you ask here, I am pretty sure one of the many helpful National Dex players which are knowledgeable about their metagame can answer you your question :)

What checks Bolt Beak / Draco / Fire Blast / Earthquake Dracozolt on balance or bulky offense? The only thing I can think of is specially defensive ground types, but Hippo is usually PhysDef I believe (so it dies to 2 dracos with like any chip), and Gastrodon is... rare. Do you just have to like bait the draco and play around it?

I'm also wondering the same for Swords Dance Triple Axel Weavile.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What checks Bolt Beak / Draco / Fire Blast / Earthquake Dracozolt on balance or bulky offense? The only thing I can think of is specially defensive ground types, but Hippo is usually PhysDef I believe (so it dies to 2 dracos with like any chip), and Gastrodon is... rare. Do you just have to like bait the draco and play around it?

I'm also wondering the same for Swords Dance Triple Axel Weavile.
Hippo are all SDef right now. Gastrodon does well, too.

SD Weavile can’t break past healthy PDef Corv, Primarina, Roost Scizor, Melmetal, and teams that just pressure it all game long, not letting it setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)