Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

so why is regular slowking good in ou? i know that galar slowking is good with av and regular slowbro is good as a defensive pivot, but i don't understand why regular slowking is in ou

so why is regular slowking good in ou? i know that galar slowking is good with av and regular slowbro is good as a defensive pivot, but i don't understand why regular slowking is in ou
By “it does what slowbro does but for special attackers instead”, Finch means it’s literally just Slowbro with spdef and def swapped. Like, they probably learn a couple different moves, but in practice you’re just gonna run Futureport anyway so just pick the one you like more.
Edit: just checked. Bro gets Body Press, Drain Punch, Light Screen, Submission, and Withdraw, while King gets Ally Switch, Dragon Tail, Laser Focus, Power Gem, Power-up Punch, and Quash. In other words, there is no practical difference between the two other than their defense stats.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
I know Barraskewda is currently in RU and used to be OU. What happened that made Barraskewda drop from OU to RU?

Hello,

to answer your question; rain teams arent that great anymore like they used to be in other stages of OU. However, they still are pretty good regardless. To make it more clear: due to Slowking, Slowbro, Tangrowth, Rillaboom, Kartana, Toxapex and natural fast stuff like Zeraora and Tapu Koko, rain finds itself in an awkward position currently. The influx or Corviknight and Skarmory, which both can hold very well a Rocky Helmet as an item option, doesnt help Barraskewda as well. Landorus-Therian also tends to run Rocky Helmet and so does Tangrowth and Slowbro. They all check Barraskewda well, especially Tangrowth and Slowbro.

But in recent months the usage of rain teams decreased drastically and therefore Barraskewda also dropped in usage, resulting it to be RU. However, rain can always see a comeback with other abusers such as Tornadus-Therian, Zapdos, and other abusers such as Tapu Koko or Zeraora. I personally would not dismiss rain as an archetype, it is still prepared for in bulkier teams such as bulky offense or balance.

Hope this helped :)

Katy

Banned deucer.
What happened that made Kommo-o drop to UU?
Kommo-o wasnt used enough as it faces stiff competition in all of its roles, there are better Stealth Rocks setters than Kommo-o like Landorus-T, occosionally Clefable, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Heatran. It also faces competitio from Dragapult, Garchomp, Kyurem and Dragonite as main Dragons to use in the OU metagame. They all offer some unique traits already, which makes them more appealing for teams to use.

However, Kommo-os access to Clangerous Soul can make it an effective lategame cleaner once teams are weakened, as it gets a +1 in all of its stats and therefore can act as a pure physical or special sweeper or even as mixed versions. The best to run this Kommo-o set is on very offensive teams with some support such as dual screens, which can be given with Tapu Koko or Grimmsnarl.

Hope that helped :)

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is Gengar a worthwhile mon right now? If so, what sets is it running? Thanks!
Gengar is mostly outclassed as a main Ghost-type by Dragapult, Dragapult offers a better initial speed with 142 Base and has access to a lot of utility, and attacking options, its sets have a wide variety, which Gengar can't offer. Then there is Blacephalon, which recently rose in the VR with access to Beast Boost, it has the traits to snowball out of control easily when teams aren't prepared for it, and it also has a wide range of set options it could run.

However, Gengar while being outclassed by these two Ghost-types, can still run a wide variety of set options as well, depending on the team you run it on. It can run those sets in particular:

:gengar:
1. Sub + Wisp + Hex / Sub + Nasty Plot
2. Choice Scarf
3. Choice Specs

The first sets are probably the best as they can demolish defensive cores quite easily, which have no counterplay to Gengar or once its checks are weakened enough.
The other two sets, Choice Scarf, can offer emergency Speed Control with the option of Trick, and Choice Specs is able to clean up teams in the late game.

Hope this helped! :)

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hey, I saw a kind of "bug", https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1319936708-m06n9e9g5gke2keztnjrjktaxwkriqppw
During this battle, a galar-slowbro just mega-evolved, idk how its possible (turn 11)
If you feel like there is a Bug in your games, you should report them here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...t-before-posting.3663703/page-53#post-8800784 as this is a better place and there are programmers and technical people which can work out what might have gone wrong here :)

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
can anyone tell me how i can improve this celebi set

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Future Sight
- Ancient Power
- Thunder Wave
Making it a viable Grass type like Rillaboom or Kartana. Or moving down to lower tiers like RU or NU, where it is viable. Sadly, there is no niche for Celebi in OU and it’s hard to justify on a serious team. On a more casual level, I’d run it with Nasty Plot, which can at least disturb bulky cores before revenge killers pry on it.

i know its bad i just didn't know if this could ever work
With all the strong U-turns in OU from Rillaboom, Dragapult, (Galarian) Zapdos, Scizor, Victini, Darm, Hydreigon, Landorus, Koko, Corviknight and Urshifu I can't see Celebi being able to ever work in OU, maybe a very bulky status spreader but Clefable outclasses it in that role. And that's just a pivot move.

Celebi's typing is just very bad in a meta where Shadow Ball, U-Turn, Knock Off, Freeze Dry, Magma Storm, Sludge Wave and Hurricane are everywhere.

:sm/zamazenta-crowned:
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Rusted Shield
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 240 HP / 32 Atk / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head / Behemoth Bash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

What do you think of this set? This goes straight on stall teams I feel like. It's very passive, hence why it would only fit stall teams, but it's stupidly bulky for a Pokémon with those Speed and Attack (so bulky it always lives a life orb eq from garchomp). It stops quicker wallbreakers like SD Kartana or annoying SubRoost Kyurem from steamrolling through stall teams. I feel like if the doggo drops to OU it would most likely be seen either on Tapu Koko HO with Howl Wild Charge, or on hardcore stall teams with RestTalk. I would love to run Body Press over Close Combat but this overgrown dog learns nothing, not even Toxic.

Edit: I forgot to mention: 32 atk 2HKOs Rillaboom under terrain and 12 atk always ohko kartana from full. 232+ speed for weavile (on a stall team you have other things for Zamazenta so speed tie is arguably pointless), 240 HP gives odd number (i have OCD about these things) and 4 spdef are just... there

Last edited:
:sm/zamazenta-crowned:
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Rusted Shield
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 240 HP / 32 Atk / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head / Behemoth Bash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

What do you think of this set? This goes straight on stall teams I feel like. It's very passive, hence why it would only fit stall teams, but it's stupidly bulky for a Pokémon with those Speed and Attack (so bulky it always lives a life orb eq from garchomp). It stops quicker wallbreakers like SD Kartana or annoying SubRoost Kyurem from steamrolling through stall teams. I feel like if the doggo drops to OU it would most likely be seen either on Tapu Koko HO with Howl Wild Charge, or on hardcore stall teams with RestTalk. I would love to run Body Press over Close Combat but this overgrown dog learns nothing, not even Toxic.

Edit: I forgot to mention: 32 atk 2HKOs Rillaboom under terrain and 12 atk always ohko kartana from full. 232+ speed for weavile (on a stall team you have other things for Zamazenta so speed tie is arguably pointless), 240 HP gives odd number (i have OCD about these things) and 4 spdef are just... there
Zamazenta-C cannot learn Iron Head. Generally I've not been super impressed with stall Zamazenta-C. Although it's very bulky and capable of walling some key threats it offers absolutely no utility and kinda just sits there. You can't cover everything with two attacks, but if you don't run Sleep Talk the low PP on its main moves really starts to be felt in longer games.

Zamazenta-C cannot learn Iron Head. Generally I've not been super impressed with stall Zamazenta-C. Although it's very bulky and capable of walling some key threats it offers absolutely no utility and kinda just sits there. You can't cover everything with two attacks, but if you don't run Sleep Talk the low PP on its main moves really starts to be felt in longer games.
Oh I didnt know it couldn't learn it, on PS it's listed on his movepool. That is so disrespectful from gf, poor thing
Yeah zamazenta is atrocious but honestly restalk is what I think to be it's most usable set, which is extremely sad.
Bulk up and body press would be enough for me

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Game Freak does not know how to balance a game, they just blindly create stat spreads and movepools and nobody double checks them at any point in the process. I’m tired of playing this broken game, the meta is balanced due to the actions of the playerbase rather than the game itself being well-crafted. I tell myself this every day, yet I keep coming back to this lawful oasis in a fundamentally broken desert. Is it that I desperately crave any form of human interaction, as I have pushed away anyone who could possibly comfort me while I drown in my own sorrows? Is it an unwillingness to let go of something once-beloved that has long since gone sour? I may never know.
47voq9.jpg

With all the strong U-turns in OU from Rillaboom, Dragapult, (Galarian) Zapdos, Scizor, Victini, Darm, Hydreigon, Landorus, Koko, Corviknight and Urshifu I can't see Celebi being able to ever work in OU, maybe a very bulky status spreader but Clefable outclasses it in that role. And that's just a pivot move.

Celebi's typing is just very bad in a meta where Shadow Ball, U-Turn, Knock Off, Freeze Dry, Magma Storm, Sludge Wave and Hurricane are everywhere.
ok i see.i thought i could bait out u-turn with rocky-helmet mon but wasn't thinking of all the other possibilities u have privided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)