Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hi everyone, do you think piloswine could be a nice addition to gen8 randbats ? Bulky ice/ground with stealth rock and ice shard, strong stabs in earthquake and icicle crash, rock slide for coverage, toxic as a utility move.
Its eviolite bulk would differentiate it from mamoswine, which could maybe stop running stealth rock and use more of its offensive capabilities.
I think this is a fun idea which I support. Policy is that only tiered NFEs get into rands, but Piloswine was tiered for most of this gen and for longer than for example Mr. Mime-Galar who is still in rands.

Having another Toxic user is always fun since they’re fairly hard to come by this gen, as are good Stealth Rock setters tbh. Piloswine wouldn’t be great but would probably be better than a number of Pokémon in rands rn.

Hello, for (4 players) free-for-all random battle, I want to give some feedback:
(if this is at the wrong position, I'd appreciate if you could move it to the right threat; it is very confusing where you can post what in this forum)

1) there are sometimes weird sets like Mandibuzz with both Snarl and Foul Play + Sitrus Berry but no Roost. I understand that not everyone can know the sets of 800+ pokemon, but bulky defensive flying types with access to Roost should always run that move, it is a logical thing.

2) 80% of all random pokemon are running protect and sitrus berry. Again, I understand that multiplayer sets are usually different than solo battle sets, but that is simply overkill.

3) there needs to be a punishment / penalty for leavers, like a 2+X hours multiplayer ban, that adds +1 hour for every early leave / ragequit.

4) 120 seconds per turn means that some toxic immature players let the timer run out and make 3 other people wait for a few minutes, which is very annoying. Reduce the turn timer to 30 seconds and also the reconnect timer to 30 seconds.

I fully understand that all of this is voluntary work that people do in their free time, and I am grateful for it, because multiplayer battles can be very fun with the right players. Then again, more often than not, you get early leavers and ragequtting youngsters, which is not fun.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Community Leader
Hello, for (4 players) free-for-all random battle, I want to give some feedback:
(if this is at the wrong position, I'd appreciate if you could move it to the right threat; it is very confusing where you can post what in this forum)

1) there are sometimes weird sets like Mandibuzz with both Snarl and Foul Play + Sitrus Berry but no Roost. I understand that not everyone can know the sets of 800+ pokemon, but bulky defensive flying types with access to Roost should always run that move, it is a logical thing.

2) 80% of all random pokemon are running protect and sitrus berry. Again, I understand that multiplayer sets are usually different than solo battle sets, but that is simply overkill.

3) there needs to be a punishment / penalty for leavers, like a 2+X hours multiplayer ban, that adds +1 hour for every early leave / ragequit.

4) 120 seconds per turn means that some toxic immature players let the timer run out and make 3 other people wait for a few minutes, which is very annoying. Reduce the turn timer to 30 seconds and also the reconnect timer to 30 seconds.

I fully understand that all of this is voluntary work that people do in their free time, and I am grateful for it, because multiplayer battles can be very fun with the right players. Then again, more often than not, you get early leavers and ragequtting youngsters, which is not fun.
1) & 2) refer to the sets, and I believe it is important to understand that for now ffa doesnt have any kind of set support, in fact the reason why a lot of sets dont look to make sense on a ffa setting is because the Format simply uses the gen 8 Doubles sets. If you have an issue with those, like the mandi stuff, feel free to post here about it. But for now ffa doesnt have a thread nor personalized sets.

3) & 4) should go on the Showdown suggestions forum, but let me tell you that 3) has been suggested a lot for regular Battles, and as well as 4) doesnt take on account the fact that sometimes people cant be answering to a battle in 30 seconds, or that they may have fair disconnections, so punishing besides having a loss never was approved. 4) also has been already semi implemented, since when ffa started the time was of 5 minutes, so it already has been reduced once, and personally I think it is fine as it is.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
I think this is a fun idea which I support. Policy is that only tiered NFEs get into rands, but Piloswine was tiered for most of this gen and for longer than for example Mr. Mime-Galar who is still in rands.

Having another Toxic user is always fun since they’re fairly hard to come by this gen, as are good Stealth Rock setters tbh. Piloswine wouldn’t be great but would probably be better than a number of Pokémon in rands rn.
This isn't really the policy anymore. It is just that several NFE don't offer much compared to their final evolved form and it just so happens that the Pokemon that do are tiered. NFE will be added if they are different enough to their evolutions like Rhydon, Mr. Mime and Gurdurr.

With that said...

Hi everyone, do you think piloswine could be a nice addition to gen8 randbats ? Bulky ice/ground with stealth rock and ice shard, strong stabs in earthquake and icicle crash, rock slide for coverage, toxic as a utility move.
Its eviolite bulk would differentiate it from mamoswine, which could maybe stop running stealth rock and use more of its offensive capabilities.
I don't really like taking SR off of Mamo but piloswine will be considered.

Last edited:
Mamoswine is a fantastic offensive rocker and should keep the move. Icicle Crash + EQ + Knock (bye bye HDB) is adequate coverage, and its STABs hit many common spinners and defoggers hard. I think Piloswine would add value to the game, if Rhydon gets to exist why not Piloswine? (Rhydon vs Rhyperior is similar to Pilo vs Mamo)

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Mamoswine is a fantastic offensive rocker and should keep the move. Icicle Crash + EQ + Knock (bye bye HDB) is adequate coverage, and its STABs hit many common spinners and defoggers hard. I think Piloswine would add value to the game, if Rhydon gets to exist why not Piloswine? (Rhydon vs Rhyperior is similar to Pilo vs Mamo)
Well the difference is with Eviolite, Rhydon easily has the most Defense in Randbats while Piloswine isn't nearly as bulky or strong. I still don't really mind Piloswine though but Ice/Ground is kinda bad defensively.

Last edited:
Hi, lets talk abt hitmontop. Its a pretty versatile poke that can nicely glue up teams with its handy abilities and amazing coverage. Except for its lackluster speed speed stat, especially in the technician sets where it cant rapid spin. I have always seen it suffer from being easily chipped even when the match up is in its favour. Ik its a mon thats not exactly made to punch holes in a team, but heres my suggestions:
How abt bulldoze over earthquake in the technician set. I do realise this could really clutter hitmontops movepool and would result in intimidate becoming even rarer, but it would be great if it could somehow be accommodated.
Id even be down for something like bulk up aerial ace, which would make this little top a sudden threat. I am not sure how people would think of a sweeper hitmontop, but I personally am really amused by it.
Pls lmk what you think of these suggestions and whether its possible/worth it

Last edited:

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
I'm ok with Bulldoze although that makes Intimidate less of a thing. I'm really not a fan of making Hitmontop some sweeper with something as weak as aerial ace and I'm also not a fan of making hazard removal less common.

Hi, I can't find a thread for suggestions. But I suggest randbats blitz. Its for fast games just like the way OU made a blitz ladder. Avoids griefers, and long games.
bump?

Edit: some1 deleted another bump that had to do with a completely different thing >:

Last edited:
When Blade says having both will make AV appear ,it means exactly that. If it rolls 4 mixed moves it gets AV
Force it to have sd or cm, since u'll most probably get swept by any set up mon and leaf storm is just a very bad move to have on it :/, or at least remove leaf storm and air slash from the sets

Last edited:
please add a Heavy-Duty Boots U-Turn Dragapult, Heavy-Duty Boots Volt Switch Zeraora. this sets is very popular in OU
In the context of Random Battles, Pokemon like the ones you suggest do not run Heavy Duty Boots because this assumes that in every battle, there will be a Pokemon setting up hazards; whereas in a tier like OU, it is safer to assume that players will construct teams that are capable of setting hazards up.

Dragapult functions well as a speedy revenge-killer and pivot with its Choice Specs, coverage moves and U-turn. Zeraora usually only rolls Volt Switch alongside an Assault Vest mixed attacker set, allowing it to serve well in most situations as a revenge killer and pivot.

Heavy Duty Boots, I believe, should be reserved for Pokemon that desperately need it; those weak to Stealth Rock, and whose performance would be heavily hindered by hazards overall.

Last edited:
Substitute is an odd choice on Marowak. I can see it coming in handy in some situations (particularly against choiced electric mons), but its lack of leftovers recovery and low speed make it generally worse than just getting an extra attack or rocks imo. If you sub on a choiced elec mon, you might not have coverage for whatever comes in by virtue of sub taking up a slot

Okay, just before I had a Durant with Choice Band and First Impression. Seems like a strange choice to have a Choice item locked to a move that only works on the first turn.

Okay, just before I had a Durant with Choice Band and First Impression. Seems like a strange choice to have a Choice item locked to a move that only works on the first turn.
It's pretty much intended as a "hit or miss" thing. If you roll the "hit", it's actually quite rewarding because, of course, priority, and the raw power. I find it's totally fine to use when there isn't much at risk and I have a switch-in. With that set generated this way, the other half - the Hone Claws set - can be unhindered because it will be guaranteed to roll Rock Slide and Superpower; both which are very vital coverage moves. Dynamax also partially gives this mon a greater excuse to run First Impression with Choice Band. From experience, I find that it works well.

Sometimes you need to play your cards differently depending on what they are; that's part of being skilled at randbats. Mastering that one-of-a-kind Durant set in battle is a good skill imo.

please add a Leek Sirfetch’d set. It is nice item for Sirfetch’d
that sounds interesting. 50% crit means an average damage increase of 1.25x, only slightly lower than life orb. could make brave bird freer, though i personally don't find lo recoil to be a huge deal on sirfetch'd (plus the inconsistency could be a problem). also not many mons boost their defense in rands, so the crit boost doesn't help much there. still, the chance for any move to have a 1.5x boost is pretty scary on a mon as powerful as fetch'd

It is self evident palkia having both spacialrend and draco meteor is a bad set.
Otherwise wouldn't be able to roll Choice Specs. Spacial Rend is an excellent special Dragon move that would be a complete waste if Palkia isn't making use of it due to 100 power and more reasonable accuracy. Draco should be on it as well if it needs to deal more damage in a particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)