Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Even gamefreak forgot finneon lmao

On a serious note one thing I didn't think about is that dive isn't really realistic given that there's no magic "breathe underwater" item like there is in the anime / games. This makes encountering deep sea pokemon kind of difficult so the only way you could find sea pokemon is at the water's surface or, at best, in short underwater dives? idk
Don't Pokémon just give mouth to mouth in the anime to help their trainers breathe? Just suck off that Finneon.

Looking at the list of confirmed mons so far, all of the non-cross gen Gen 4 mons are in except for:
  • the berry tree mons (Burmy, Cherubi and Combee)
  • the fossils (Craniados and Shieldon)
  • the static encounters (Spiritomb, Rotom and Drifloon)
  • and Finneon
Finneon sticks out here so my hypothesis at the moment is that there is a regional Finneon line. The rest of these Pokemon could be given special mechanics or are quest exclusive (Spiritomb's lore mentions it being created 500 years ago which fits with the feudal era of this game).

I also suspect that, outside of Oshawott and Rowlet, there won't be any Gen 5-8 mons that aren't connected to a new evolution or regional form (Sylveon and maybe Mr. Rime being exceptions due to being cross-generational). I'm also theorizing regional forms for the starters as they evolve and adapt to this new region.
Although not shown in the videogame footage, Combee is depicted in the promotional art. But the theory of a special mechanic (like luring it with honey) makes sense.

1629319195096.png

I would find it really weird if a Pokémon native to Sinnoh had a Hisui form (after all Hisui IS Sinnoh), but GF has been quite unpredictable as of late and if any gen 4 Pokémon deserves it, it's Finneon (and Kricketot, but we already saw the regular one in the trailer).

I'm also curious on whether the Porygon line will be implemented.

Although not shown in the videogame footage, Combee is depicted in the promotional art. But the theory of a special mechanic (like luring it with honey) makes sense.

View attachment 365893

I would find it really weird if a Pokémon native to Sinnoh had a Hisui form (after all Hisui IS Sinnoh), but GF has been quite unpredictable as of late and if any gen 4 Pokémon deserves it, it's Finneon (and Kricketot, but we already saw the regular one in the trailer).

I'm also curious on whether the Porygon line will be implemented.
Similarly, Mismagius can be seen lurking in the background of this (adorable) promo art.
Pokemon_Legends__Arceus_Artwork_2-copy-scaled.jpg

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
the existence of pokemon outside of the Sinnoh Dex makes me wonder if there's a separate Hisui Dex and if Pokemon are gonna get cut. That would not help this game if we are missing some Pokemon, like what if the Gen 4 Starters don't show up (Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup)?

the existence of pokemon outside of the Sinnoh Dex makes me wonder if there's a separate Hisui Dex and if Pokemon are gonna get cut. That would not help this game if we are missing some Pokemon, like what if the Gen 4 Starters don't show up (Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup)?
I think it would be very weird for several reasons

We have seen Piplup, for the record.

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
I think it would be very weird for several reasons

We have seen Piplup, for the record.
oh true i did forget about Piplup, so maybe the others will be in their own habitat, before they were ever starters in the first place.

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
Yeah it was already apparent from the first trailer but Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup will be seen in the wild and catchable
then it might be irrelevant mon that might get cut, but then again this is a smaller Dex, so maybe Dexit won't happen but they will add regional forms from past Gen 4.

Similarly, Mismagius can be seen lurking in the background of this (adorable) promo art.
View attachment 365904
One thing to note about this picture is that the male protagonist seems to be applying bandages and ointment to a Budew. I'm guessing those are the equivalents of the modern-day potions, especially since their designs are detailed enough to be more than just a random part of the art.

Gotta say I at first didn't even check this thread because I was expecting BDSP news but damn, seeing Wyrdeer just got me hyped.

Regarding if it and Basculegion are cross-gen evos or simply regional evos, while it's true that for the previous ones they had regional forms that's because they were very different from the originals, either typing (Perrserker, Mr. Rime, and Sirfetch'd) stats (if Runerigus was physically slanted it made sense for its pre-evo to be too) or moveset (Obstagoon needed a revamped moveset because otherwise Extremespeed and Belly Drum would've been ridiculous, for one). In this case, while there could likely be a Normal/Psychic Stantler-H that's specially biased evolving into Wyrdeer we know by its description that Basculegion gains the Ghost-type by evolution (and it appears to be physically biased), so there's really not enough differences for me to think of a Basculin-H. And if you have one cross-gen evo, why not two?

I don't want to speculate too much but I gotta say seeing Growlithe-H gave me hopes for a regional variant of Arbok. We already have for the three Gen I Fire-type families (Magmar doesn't count) and the other two pure Poison lines, not to mention that Growlithe used to be to Vulpix what Ekans was to Sandshrew. Plus it's a mon that could really use a revamp, either on its own or via an evolution. It seems fitting too, only question would be the typing.

Anyway this looks really interesting!!

I'm probably the only person who cares about this, but I really like Wyrdeer's name.

I've discussed before how I dislike many of Galar's new evolution names for being based on the names of other Pokemon. They're not like Golett / Golurk or Charmander / Charmeleon / Charizard where they're all based on a common word like "golem" or "char", I mean they're puns and portmanteaus based off of "Corsola" and "Cofagrigus" as if those root words are not themselves puns and portmanteaus. Even Perrserker, by far the best name of the lot, has elements of "Persian" in its name.

But Wyrdeer? That's just weird + deer. That's just a completely normal Pokemon name that doesn't rely on the existence of the word "Stantler" to make sense.

Basculegion is pretty alright, as well. It relies on "Basculin", which is suboptimal, but it combines Basculin + legion in a satisfying way.

BASCULIN
LEGION
BASCULEGION

It's probably the third best of these names, above Obstagoon but below Perrserker and Wyrdeer.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok, so I got a crazy prediction to share with everyone. It involves leaked material, so be warned!

1629342360462.png

I'm sure you all remember these leaked images from when BDSP/Legends were first revealed. As of today, we've been able to confirm the identities of 2/3 of those shadowy creatures, the leftmost being Wyrdeer and the right being Hisuian Braviary. This, of course, leaves the middle being as the odd one out; what could that possibly be? It gets stranger the more you look at it: It kinda looks like a really lanky Nuzleaf, except it doesn't even seem to be carrying the player character like the other two? What gives?

This isn't gonna be me predicting what Pokemon this is, but rather its potential inspiration. Before I elaborate, we first gotta discuss an INCREDIBLY cool detail about one of the other reveals my buddy ol' chum Hematite discovered.
1629342370475.png

So we're all familiar with Basculegion's background, right? The whole "absorbing the souls of other dead Basculin" shtick? Well, keeping that in mind, I want you to take a look at this folktale from one of the books in Canalave Library in DPPt and see if it sounds familiar.

"Sinnoh Folk Story 1"
Pick clean the bones of Pokémon caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can be, set them free in the water from which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully fleshed, and it begins anew.

Oh yeah baby, Basculegion isn't just your average badass evolution for an old mon. It's a badass evolution for an old mon directly based on an obscure lore tidbit in the original Sinnoh titles! I could gush over how this propels an already great design and displays inhuman attention to detail but honestly it kinda speaks for itself.

With that out of the way, let's take a look at another story from the very same book the above comes from...

"Sinnoh Folk Story 2"
There lived a Pokémon in a forest.
In the forest, the Pokémon shed its hide to sleep as a human.
Awakened, the human dons the Pokémon hide to roam villages.

The first and third lines are the most notable here. Earlier I mentioned how the mystery mon is like Nuzleaf in that it seems to have some sort of leaf tuft on its head, and if I'm correct then that sure sounds like something you'd find in a forest. Line 3 is even crazier, for it explains why the player isn't visible - they're wearing the mystery mon's skin as a suit of armor!

Once again I have no theories on what Pokemon the remaining shadowy figure is related to, I just wanted to share this cuz it makes me admire these games even more somehow, and is also just a generally fun discussion point

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if it's been posted, but here's a map

Ooh that small volcanic island in the corner there. That's almost certainly the Battle Zone of Sinnoh, though probably not civilized in Legends time.

I do wonder if we'll get to go there in Legends and if there will be anything to do on the Battle Zone island if it's accessible in this game.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I'm probably the only person who cares about this, but I really like Wyrdeer's name.

That's just weird + deer. That's just a completely normal Pokemon name that doesn't rely on the existence of the word "Stantler" to make sense.
To add to this, they specifically used Wyrd over Weird. Wyrd is ancestral to Modern English weird, which retains its original meaning only dialectically. Going for the older variation of the word for an evolution introduced on a game that takes place during ancient times is just very pleasing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)