Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Is Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse worth the move slot? They both miss sometimes
For precipice blades I’d say 100%. The move just has a lot more power backing it that eq doesn’t, leading to less rolls and damage overall that is worth the miss chance on pblades to make up for. Origin pulse depends on the set. On specs and scarf I’d always use it for the power if spout is weakened, but on cm sets going for scald or surf is fine.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I noticed in the VR update a load of new Pokemon were ranked. While I'm aware most of them have been used a bit for various things, what do Hydreigon and Thundurus-T do?

Speaking of niches, I have been wracking my brain for a while trying to figure out the niche Mewtwo has over Calyrex-S and I really can’t figure it out, yet Mewtwo is B rank on the viability thread, which is actually decent. I know Mewtwo has better coverage overall, but is that genuinely what makes it still relevant, or am I missing something obvious?

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Better coverage + the fact that Mewtwo dunks on a lot of staples of balance cores thanks to that better coverage that normally rely on Yveltal for their Psychic-Type answer. Yveltal cant check Mewtwo reliably, and if you pair Mewtwo with Calyrex it can create a scenario where one opens holes for the other.

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Is Mixed LO Rayquaza viable, and if it is, what is the best set/spread for it?
Mixed Rayquaza sounds interesting but is usually not worth using. Due to its typing and bulk its really hard to get in while SR deny many opportunities for it to sweep as it is already weakened to a point where it simply gets taken out by most moves. I could see it do something on a webs team but even then the speed tier is rather unfortunate and it is usually outclassed by an other set or Pokémon.

Here is an example of a set I would use:
Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Draco Meteor

You can be flexible with the moves as Rayquaza has a variety of useful moves.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Is 'Nat Dex Ubers' a played tier at all or does it have any resources for it?
From the OP

National Dex Ubers?

A fun thought experiment, but nothing more than that. While a format may appear on the simulator that emulates an unlimited metagame, there are questions about mechanic interactions that cannot be answered through the cartridge games meaning that such a format is entirely unofficial in purpose and therefore unsuited for this forum. That said, we aren't going to close our eyes to the idea. If it is well executed and proves to be popular, integration with this subforum may be possible in the future.

romanji

spring blooms
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is the best check to Marshadow?
:ss/eternatus:
Eternatus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Outspeeds Adamant Marshadow, can block Poltergeist after the berry, and can stall out all Spectral Thief and CC. One of the best checks to it.

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Contributor to Smogon
:xerneas:
Xerneas @ Air Balloon
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

same as the above but xern also gives status control while checking dragons and soft checking grounds. after marsh pops your balloon with poltergeist it can no longer free-click it again.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Pokemon such as Eternatus and Xerneas can check Marshadow pretty well defensively and offensively, Pokemon such as defensive Ho-Oh and Choice Scarf Yveltal can check it too, however Yveltal still dislikes a strong Choice Band-boostet Close Combat as this is neutral towards it and Ho-Oh needs to keep its Heavy-Duty Botts to switch in consistently, and it has to be wary about Rock Tomb from Marshadow. Other Pokemon which have the outright bulk to help against it is Zygarde in its Complete Forme, due to its high HP stat and defensive stat which is 216 and 121 respectively, which grants it a respectable bulk to survive some hits. Zygarde-Complete can also run Toxic / Glare to either limit Marshadow with Toxic turns or to threaten Marshadows good Speed tier, which in the case of the latter, makes it easier to revengekill. Physically defensive Groudon can also check it decently, but it has to be wary about Poltergeist and Close Combat as it heavily weakens Groudon. But it can still threaten Marshadow out when its locked into Rock Tomb and can subsequently use Thunder Wave on either Marshadow or one of its teammates.

In Overall the best checks are Eternatus, Xerneas, Ho-Oh, Zygarde-C, and Groudon, and Yveltal can check it too in a pinch.

Hopefully that helped :)

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
What is the ideal hydreigon set in Ubers?
It is Life Orb Hydreigon with Nasty Plot and a Timid nature alongside Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, and Roost. It's able to bypass bulky threats such as Kyogre and Zarude after a boost. Dark Pulse also allow Hydreigon to go past Necrozma-Dm and Calyrex-S, it also help to offensively check both formes of Giratina. Flash Cannon is an alternative allowing Hydreigon to hit the likes of Xerneas and Tyranitar. Hydreigon can fit well on more offensive oriented teams, if you aim to run it.

It is Life Orb Hydreigon with Nasty Plot and a Timid nature alongside Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, and Roost. It's able to bypass bulky threats such as Kyogre and Zarude after a boost. Dark Pulse also allow Hydreigon to go past Necrozma-Dm and Calyrex-S, it also help to offensively check both formes of Giratina. Flash Cannon is an alternative allowing Hydreigon to hit the likes of Xerneas and Tyranitar. Hydreigon can fit well on more offensive oriented teams, if you aim to run it.
Ty very much :psyglad:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What are some wall breakers that are threatening but don't require setup? Specs Kyogre is the only one I know but what are some others?

What is Rayquaza's main role atm? Is it supposed to be a dragon dancer or just click dragon ascent until something drops with choice band?

What niches do the likes of Garchomp, Toxapex, Suicide and Weavile have up here?

Katy

Banned deucer.
What are some wall breakers that are threatening but don't require setup? Specs Kyogre is the only one I know but what are some others?
Specs Kyogre, Band Ho-Oh, Rayquaza with Band, Kyurem-White with either Specs or Life Orb, Marshadow, SD Groudon, Specs Calyrex-S, and Life Orb Yveltal are all great wallbreakers in the uber tier. All of them possess a great stat distribution and coverage and Stabs to do so.

What is Rayquaza's main role atm? Is it supposed to be a dragon dancer or just click dragon ascent until something drops with choice band?
It can either act as a Dragon Dance- or Swords Dance Sweeper. On Dragon Dance sets you can run Draco Meteor to better hit physical walls such as Zygarde Complete and its boosted anyway due to the Life Orb Rayquaza can make use of.

What niches do the likes of Garchomp, Toxapex, Suicide and Weavile have up here?
Garchomp can act like an Swords Dance Sweeper. Toxapex can check non-Earthquake Dragon Dance Necrozma-Dusk Mane as example due to Recover and Haze. Weavile can threaten the many Dragon-types in the tier with Knock Off and Icicle Crash / Triple Axel and priority in Ice Shard.

What do you mean with Suicide? If you can elaborate on this Pokemon, we are able to answer that as well.

Hopefully that helped you out for now :)

I'm assuming thats an auto correct of shuckle, and if that is the case, Shuckle's niche is the ability to set up sticky web and stealth rock with it's ability sturdy to make sure it always gets at least one of those up (and both if it has custap berry).

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Specs Kyogre, Band Ho-Oh, Rayquaza with Band, Kyurem-White with either Specs or Life Orb, Marshadow, SD Groudon, Specs Calyrex-S, and Life Orb Yveltal are all great wallbreakers in the uber tier. All of them possess a great stat distribution and coverage and Stabs to do so.

It can either act as a Dragon Dance- or Swords Dance Sweeper. On Dragon Dance sets you can run Draco Meteor to better hit physical walls such as Zygarde Complete and its boosted anyway due to the Life Orb Rayquaza can make use of.

Garchomp can act like an Swords Dance Sweeper. Toxapex can check non-Earthquake Dragon Dance Necrozma-Dusk Mane as example due to Recover and Haze. Weavile can threaten the many Dragon-types in the tier with Knock Off and Icicle Crash / Triple Axel and priority in Ice Shard.

What do you mean with Suicide? If you can elaborate on this Pokemon, we are able to answer that as well.

Hopefully that helped you out for now :)
I really shouldn't make these post when I'm half asleep lol. I was talking about Suicune

Thanks for the answer

suicune is just your classic annoying sub cm mon
no u

in all seriousness, as I have spammed Suicune a lot, Pressure is actually a busted ability in the current meta where Etern and Dusk mane are very played. The fact that most of their good moves have between 8 and 16 pp mean you just can’t risk using them at any time. Suicune does rely on getting scald burns though, especially against Groudon, DD Zygarde or Sd Ndm.

Overall the pokémon is really good but you would often prefer the raw power of Kyogre. If your team is defensive enough then Suicune can be a good option. A good way of playing it would be to have a Cleric such as Xerneas or Blissey to help it cure from sleep if you are forced to use Rest

Sub Cm Protect Scald or Cm Protect Scald Rest are most likely the best sets you can use currently

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)