Resource SS Monotype Viability Rankings [Crown Tundra]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Prankster T-Wave alone makes Thundurus better than Eleki (and Zolt for that matter.) In a world in which Specs Zapdos hadn't been discovered it'd have a pretty strong case for inclusion in A just due to how valuable Prankster Taunt and T-Wave become in offensive metas (I think it has a slight case, in fact.) Beyond its clearly defined utility as prankster support it has a pretty incredible movepool from which it can pull all manner of shenanigans including bait sets as a secondary physical attacker.

Right now I think Elec is pretty clearly defined as:

S

A

B

with everything after Raikou (SubCM for mirror), Galvantula, and Rotom-H being irrelevant.

___

B -> A

Screens HO is Dark's most competitive playstyle in the present meta. You cannot have screens without Grimmsnarl. Therefore, Grimmsnarl should be A (particularly if we are now arguing that Moltres-G and Mandibuzz are now roughly equivalent A mons across their respective niches on HO and balance). Not only is this reasoning keeping in line with how mons have been ranked on other types this generation, but among the types most commonly known for screens builds, Dark is the only one to have its setter ranked lower than A.

Beyond this, Grimmsnarl's access to priority Taunt and T-wave provide it additional utility both as a gameplan disruptor (preventing the setup of enemy hazards) and as an emergency failsafe with a last-ditch Thunder Wave.

(Dark)
A -> S
have yall ever seen dark w/o this mon? i dont rly have much to say since this should be quite obvious... its been on every dark team this mpl so far. the mon's rly good at breaking stuff like steel/fly/etc but can also act as speed control with a choice scarf. ubiquitous mon on all dark teams and certainly deserves to be a tier above weavile and zarude.
Agreed, Beyond tour play Hydra has been at 70%+ usage on Dark for at least 6 months now, and I have never seen a good Dark without one regardless of build. It is an incredibly versatile attacker with the occasional curveball for coverage as well as a threat that has to be accounted for by almost the entire tier. In comparison, Mandibuzz is no longer an absolute staple due to it being a fairly odd choice on HO Dark, and I do not think Tyranitar is significantly better enough than Hydreigon (I don't think this at all, actually) to warrant it being the standalone member of S rank.

Last edited:
:arctozolt:D>B
I usually take mons I see in official tournament play and try to apply them to monotype. Credits to Dragon Claw since his WCOP game prompted me to use it. Zolt not only provides some much needed speed control on Ice,(only thing we have is what, scarf weavile?) But has great coverage in Bolt beak, Blizzard/freeze dry, and low kick.
With its coverage/speed control, it makes your water, flying, dark, and poison match ups much easier in the long run.

Figured it's worth mentioning it's been used in official tournament play (Rinda being a solid mention, so it's viability isn't in question. It's also impacted the meta a bit during MLT, making some people considering running scarf shifu(lol) and scarf zapdos G.

Out atm so can't provide much replays, but if you reach out to me privately I can find some at a later date. Thanks for reading!

:slowking-galar: (Psychic) B-> A/S

Assault Vest Slowking-Galar is just absolutely brutal to face off against. Access to great coverage moves + a decent special attack means he does more than just wall. Can't be poisoned and most damage is mitigated thanks to Regenerator.

Pains me to say it because I would have never thought it but he is easily the MVP on my team. Responsible for a lot of my bad type match-up wins. To be viable in the upper ladders there is no better Special Def in my opinion and that alone should push it out of B.

Happy to elaborate further!

Roserade (Grass) :roserade: D -> C

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm not really sure why Roserade is this low on the rankings. It's better than Venusaur on non-Sunny Day variants of Grass teams with a higher Special Attack stat and Speed stat. It also makes an ideal scarfer due to its diverse movepool and Natural Cure ability, rendering it immune to being crippled by paralysis early in the game. Tspikes access makes matchups against types with little hazard removal like Normal much easier, and the poison chip can prove crucial against matchups like Ice or Goodra Dragon. Dazzling Gleam access allows Roserade to clean late game against Dark and Dragon, and Roserade is great in the Fairy matchup. It's not worth B rank, but I think Roserade is better than all of D tier and is a viable option for the 6th mon on Grass teams, more so than Appletun which has been basically obsolete ever since Cradily returned.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ill finish the rest later if its not updated by then

:shuckle: Shuckle (Bug) A -> B / C

I feel like Bug teams can go without Stealth Rock. SM/ORAS/BW Bug teams may require Stealth Rock to make dramatic progress but SS is an entirely different ballgame. Heavy-Duty Boots being spammed on Flying/Fire/Ice along with effective hazard removers on every type just makes me think Shuckle is entirely too passive and momentum draining. Other Pokemon can run Sticky Web and it's better to just compress it on Galvantula/Araquanid rather than waste an entire slot. If you're that desperate for entry hazards, I'd suggest using Taunt+Spikes Golisopod.

:heracross: Heracross (Bug) B -> A
:golisopod: Golisopod (Bug) D - C

Golisopod + Heracross is my favorite core on Bug teams and I find that Emergency Exit allows Heracross to come in and safely activate its Flame Orb for better wallbreaking. Golisopod uses Taunt to prevent entry hazards from coming up and 184 Speed outspeeds Celesteela exactly. It also has its own Spikes to pressure the own team and Taunt+Exit is good synergy since it forces the opposing user to attack rather than using it as hazard fodder. Heracross is the best steelbreaker on Bug teams because if you look at Buzzwole, it falls short to all the Flying/Steel Pokemon: Celesteela (Air Slash/Flamethrower), Corviknight (Brave Bird), and Skarmory (Brave Bird). I find that doing direct/instant pressuring damage is more effective than consecutively spamming Bulk Up which has counterplay. I find that Buzzwole is a better scarfer however due to its Beast Boost + spectacular coverage in Earthquake, Ice Punch, Stone Edge, and so on.

:mandibuzz: Manidbuzz (Dark) S -> A
:hydreigon: Hydreigon (Dark) A -> S

Dark teams are commonly using screens and I feel like the archetype is consistent just like balanced Dark or even better. On both balanced and offensive Dark teams, there are staples, Tyranitar and Hydreigon. Tyranitar and Hydreigon are also mobile Pokemon; Tyranitar can use a defensive set with Stealth Rock and opt for whatever the last slot being Heavy Slam / Fire Blast / Toxic / etc and use offensive sets like Dragon Dance or Choice Band while Hydreigon can use a number of sets like Choice Specs, SubNP, Choice Scarf, NP+3Atks with a range of coverage to back it up. I feel like the "Flying-typing" of Dark teams is a necessity to help with Mold Breaker Excadrill and Galarian Moltres has stepped in to fulfill that job on more offensive variants.

:krookodile: Krookodile (Dark) C -> B / C

Defensive Krookodile is pretty nice and I posted a spread is 2HKOed by Melmetal's Double Iron Head Bash and it lives a Choice Specs Dazzling Gleam from Tapu Koko and a Choice Scarf Moonblast from Tapu Lele. Dark teams lack an Electric immunity and Krookodile provides that. Its access to Stealth Rock allows Tyranitar to use a Dragon Dance set to help with Flying, Fairy, Steel, and etc. It's also a nice offensive lead with max / max and its a nice Choice Scarf user as I prefer using Toxic.
:sableye: Sableye (Dark) D -> C

Sableye's unique typing checks quite a bit of stuff like Galarian Zapdos, Urshifu-R, Choice-locked Keldeo, and Buzzwole. Sableye doesn't beat any of them one-on-one but it's moreso the defensive core it forms with its teammates like Zarude + Sableye checks Urshifu-R and Keldeo and Mandibuzz+Sableye checks Galarian Zapdos and Buzzwole. These same relationships are why some Pokemon are ranked in our past generation viability rankings such as (ORAS) Dark - Cacturne and (USUM) Fighting - Toxicroak. Sableye is also on the sample teams now lol...so I assume its viability has been recognized. I find Will-O-Wisp / Encore / Knock Off to be pretty annoying against Ground / Poison / Flying and etc and I support the rise.

:raikou: Raikou (Electric) C -> B

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 52 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
I feel like Raikou is a nice anti-metagame Pokemon with its Substitute + Calm Mind set, which specifically does well against Flying, Poison, Steel, and Psychic. Scald is nice for Dragonite/Ferrothorn/Nidoking and if you catch the burn/KO, on any of these Pokemon, it's pretty much GG in my eyes lol.

:tapu_fini: Tapu Fini (Fairy) C -> B

MLT showcased Attribute's CM Tapu Fini team and CM + Taunt is really nice against bulkier types like Poison, Steel, and Flying while also guaranteeing the win versus Dragon and Dark. His team was also used a bit in MPL and honestly, this Pokemon can be added to the sample teams lol.

:kommo-o: Kommo-o (Fighting) UR -> D

I've been testing Belly Drum Kommo-o for like Flying/Water/Steel on Fighting with Teleport Dual Screens Gallade and it's a fun surprise. I don't think this Pokemon should be unranked and I think there is also a viable special scales set but it needs the Galladee support to pull off any health-reducing boosting set stat move..lol.

:scrafty: Scrafty (Fighting) UR -> D

Requires Screens to be successful but I found that Roselia berry gives it hope against Tapu Lele / Mimikyu assuming Light Screen is up for an easier Psychic and Ghost matchup. I feel like this is better than Pangoro also lol but maybe a Scarf Goro set can be used but it seems pretty slow and it doesn't outspeed Scarf Lele so :P.

:incineroar: Incineroar (Fire) C -> B

Psychic immunity is pretty crucial and it also offers Parting Shot for momentum and easier wallbreaking and Taunt to prevent opposing setup. Intimidate + Parting is too good to give up, especially on Screen Fire teams.

:talonflame: Talonflame (Fire) C -> D

3 words: 50/50 vs Excadrill. Moltres can actually survive a Rock Slide and its pivoting is more valuable than priority Dual Wingbeat which was pretty pitiful last MLT.

:appletun: Appletun (Grass) C -> D

Doesn't do anything, Cradily is better. Fire and Ice have ways of beating it regardless of Thick Fat and it drains momentum and literally does nothing.

:virizion: Virizion (Grass) D -> C

Its access to Zen Headbutt and Stone Edge gives Grass better hope against Poison and Flying teams. Lum Berry allows it to get 2-3 Swords Dances off in front of Toxapex/Galarian Weezing however Crobat Poison can make it slightly more difficult but it's more of a prediction thing when it switches into a Stone Edge.

:hippowdon: Hippowdon (Ground) S -> A

Sandless Ground shows that it performs as well as Sand if not better, however, Eject Button Sand is still pretty viable in my eyes. Momentum is an issue that some players find on sandless, but at least one of the momentum drainers (Gastrodon/Hippowdon) should be equipped with the button to make use of sand in tbh.

:landorus-therian: Landorus-T (Ground) A -> S

Dropping your Flying/Ground means your team is spammed by powerful Ground-type attacks like Banded Earthquake from Excadrill and Nidoking's Earth Power. It's an aspect of teambuilding to run a Ground immunity and Landorus-T's Bulk Up + Gravity/Fly or Choice Scarf is pretty effective on the type.

Last edited:
:arctozolt:D>B
I usually take mons I see in official tournament play and try to apply them to monotype. Credits to Dragon Claw since his WCOP game prompted me to use it. Zolt not only provides some much needed speed control on Ice,(only thing we have is what, scarf weavile?) But has great coverage in Bolt beak, Blizzard/freeze dry, and low kick.
With its coverage/speed control, it makes your water, flying, dark, and poison match ups much easier in the long run.

Figured it's worth mentioning it's been used in official tournament play (Rinda being a solid mention, so it's viability isn't in question. It's also impacted the meta a bit during MLT, making some people considering running scarf shifu(lol) and scarf zapdos G.

Out atm so can't provide much replays, but if you reach out to me privately I can find some at a later date. Thanks for reading!
Do you think mixed Zolt is the way to go? It does get access to Icicle Crash so it’s not like it’s dying for STAB

Do you think mixed Zolt is the way to go? It does get access to Icicle Crash so it’s not like it’s dying for STAB
Hello! That's actually a great question because originally I had icicle crash. The reason I use freeze dry>crash is because it makes the water match up alot easier. Gastrodon or Swampert shuts zolt down with crash in that slot, not freeze dry. It also doesn't need that much special attack evs, I only use 24 evs+ you're mostly clicking Bolt beak/low kick most of the time (in my experience anyway) so it doesn't take away much.

Hello! That's actually a great question because originally I had icicle crash. The reason I use freeze dry>crash is because it makes the water match up alot easier. Gastrodon or Swampert shuts zolt down with crash in that slot, not freeze dry. It also doesn't need that much special attack evs, I only use 24 evs+ you're mostly clicking Bolt beak/low kick most of the time (in my experience anyway) so it doesn't take away much.
I’ll try that out. I’m not particularly convinced by your EV spread… Against 252+ SpD, 252+ SpA fails to guarantee the OHKO, 0 SpA does 70-80 and 0+ SpA does 75-90. 24 EVs only adds ~1.1%, which doesn’t seem like it hits anything important. But I’m definitely intrigued, and getting a OHKO after chip damage is very useful.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Sirfetch’d UR->D
Sirfetch’d @ Leek/Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird/Defog

This guy helps a lot in Elec mu, which is sadly near impossible for fighting due to the lack of proper spdef/volt absorb options it has. Leek is funny (because 50% chance to crit is quite high but nowhere near consistent), but to secure kills vs Regieleki, you'd need it to be banded. Scrappy is a nice ability to have so that you'll always just click close combat in situations where ghosts are present, and lets your Hawlucha/G.Zapdos run a not dark coverage move and drop sucker punch on Toxicroak for Drain Punch/coverage moves. The EVs presented hit 221 speed, which outspeeds Azumarill, Scizors that want to outspeed Azumarill, Magnezones and some Rotom-Washes.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 288-339 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu-Alola: 570-672 (218.3 - 257.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak also kills this with sucker)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barraskewda: 249-294 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Not even Lucha saves you from this monstrosity)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Softens Slowbro for Scarf Megahorn Terrakion)

Note that if you use leek, You'll more or less get the same damage as a banded Duck, but 50% chance to crit is pretty...risky.

Considering that Fighting D rankers are screeners, and this duck can do Conkeldurr's niche a bit better, I think this duck deserves to be ranked so that it can present itself as an option to try and have a chance against the better types. Why is fighting so bad...

Last edited:
Personally I don't feel like Sirfetch'd does anything to elec other than forcing Raichu out, and you can't really trade KOs with Elec having Zapdos and Koko. It's even worse if the mentioned Raichu or Regieleki get a kill with Volt Switch so they no longer gotta worry about Duck switching in. Duck can help get more KOs but not really win the game. Also Leek should be the item to use because otherwise you are in a terrible position after clicking First Impression, cause I feel that's something that can pull him back, it needs to be able to fight the wall that just switched into your priority and keep pressure that way.

So... I wouldn't work the post too much around choice band because its rather easy to play around and could do you more harm than good. It would be good to see what else it can do besides clicking First Impression which everyone know it does

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Personally I don't feel like Sirfetch'd does anything to elec other than forcing Raichu out, and you can't really trade KOs with Elec having Zapdos and Koko. It's even worse if the mentioned Raichu or Regieleki get a kill with Volt Switch so they no longer gotta worry about Duck switching in. Duck can help get more KOs but not really win the game. Also Leek should be the item to use because otherwise you are in a terrible position after clicking First Impression, cause I feel that's something that can pull him back, it needs to be able to fight the wall that just switched into your priority and keep pressure that way.

So... I wouldn't work the post too much around choice band because its rather easy to play around and could do you more harm than good. It would be good to see what else it can do besides clicking First Impression which everyone know it does
That's true, but the thing is Sirfetch isn't really meant to replace those at S/A/B ranked mons. I brought it up as an alternative for Conkeldurr, which also defogs and has a priority (in Mach punch). Although certainly it isn't the best thing ever, I think it can replace Conk in teams that use Conk for emergency defogs as it gets a better priority (you aren't hurting for more fighting moves anyway) and a slightly better speed tier.

As a side note, Sirfetch'd gets Brave Bird, which kills Physdef Amoongus from full (if Banded/Crit), and it can just spam close combat on steel (though...its steel :/) because of scrappy.

Last edited:
Sirfetch’d UR->D
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird/Defog

This guy helps a lot in Elec mu, which is sadly near impossible for fighting due to the lack of proper spdef/volt absorb options it has. Leek is funny (because 50% chance to crit is quite high but nowhere near consistent), but to secure kills vs Regieleki, you'd need it to be banded. Scrappy is a nice ability to have so that you'll always just click close combat in situations where ghosts are present, and lets your Hawlucha/G.Zapdos run a not dark coverage move and drop sucker punch on Toxicroak for Drain Punch/coverage moves. The EVs presented hit 221 speed, which outspeeds Azumarill, Scizors that want to outspeed Azumarill, Magnezones and some Rotom-Washes.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 288-339 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu-Alola: 570-672 (218.3 - 257.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak also kills this with sucker)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barraskewda: 249-294 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Not even Lucha saves you from this monstrosity)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Softens Slowbro for Scarf Megahorn Terrakion)

Note that if you use leek, You'll more or less get the same damage as a banded Duck, but 50% chance to crit is pretty...risky.

Considering that Fighting D rankers are screeners, and this duck can do Conkeldurr's niche a bit better, I think this duck deserves to be ranked so that it can present itself as an option to try and have a chance against the better types. Why is fighting so bad...
This is not a convincing argument for ranking Sirfetched. Sure you revenge kill Raichu... but you're never beating electric anyways, so what's the point? First impression vs Psychic looks great until you realize it's not actually clickable at all due to psychic terrain existing.

If I really, really wanted to beat electric, I would be running something like the following:

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake

So this set is pretty simple. Somehow get a free +1 (by setting up in front of wisp rotom-W or something), and laugh as your opponent has no reliable checks to this beast. Most electric players will go specs Zapdos to attempt to kill you with hurricane, only to realize that you have 5+ substitutes and that Hurricane isn't actually a reliable STAB move. When zapdos proves to be blind like always, you get a free shot to get multiple boosts and sweep them. Note that due to running both DD and scale shot, you're likely to get enough speed boosts to outspeed Raichu in terrain :D

Note that this Kommo-o outspeeds and OHKOs everything on electric at +1 except Regi (who doesn't OHKO kommo-o due to electric resistance), Rotom (who is setup bait due to Sub), Raichu in terrain, and Zapdos (who is blind).

Consider this a nomination of kommo-o to D or something, but the real nomination is to remove fighting as a type, it sucks so much -_-

:Moltres-Galar: from A -> S For Mono-Flying

It single handedly can win match ups, from the ghost match up to psychic to any opponent who can't take it down quickly. It's ability to steam roll matches by running the set bellow. A lot of monotype teams have just the right amount of mons for moltres to start going nuts on, either forcing a switch or forcing your opponent to get stuck in a loop of giving moltres boosts.

On top of this, it has almost no opportunity cost. The other dark type availible (mandibuzz) is not even comparable in wallbreaking as its damage and ability to status absorb for the team is not avaible like what moltres has. It also acts as a great mon to pivot to for a type with limiting defensive options (Landorus-T if you forgo scarf, the flying steel gang, which you usually only use 1 and mantine are your only real options for tanky mons). Unlike those mons, moltres almost applies offensive pressure with the pivot while not relying on specific match ups or need to set-up.

The most important thing is what happens when you don't run it. You lose a key answer to ddance pult (if it is specs, you can bait it to bolt, then go to lando-t or thund-t) as well as pults ghost partners, don't have access to a mon that will happily absorb any status for your team (which is very important due to lack of reliable heal-bell options). Flying also works best when able to safely rotate between your nuke like mons (scarf lando-t, g-zap & thund-t) and the tanks (tank lando-t, the steel buddies, mantine and zap).

Now for a big concern, facing mono electric or fairy. Against electric, moltres still finds ways to be useful, mostly as a switch in yo raichu-a from your lando-t or thund-t. Aside from that, moltres has just enough bulk to take a hit from koko in terrain, and can still perform its status absorbing against rotom, while having enough hp to take the upcomming thunderbolt or volt switch and rest so it can come back later and do it again.

Fairy is another story, and for the better. Other than koko, lele and azu, moltres' dark typing only becomes an issue vs a set up clef or fini. It works great against the bulu seen on those teams and in general has enough bulk to take a hit, rest and usually force a switch vs enough of fairies roster to make it not dead weight.

Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Wrath
- Hurricane
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

:Thundurus-Therian: A -> S For mono-flying

A literal nuke that gives flying a huge and necessary tool, a second electric immunity. Thunderbolt and thunder are common moves almost every type has access to in some way, and while lando-t is already solid at doing this, lando-t already has a lot it has to handle in a match, and will get worn down. By running thundurus-t, not only do you get a second option for electric immunity, you gain its rediculous damage potential. Running thunderbolt, sludgewave and focus blast is all you need to cover most of the match ups you would be concerned with, though psychic can be added if you feel your team needs help with a specific match up. The scarf or specs thundurus-t will run those 3 moves and volt switch, but the one that truely tips thundurus-t to s tier is having that 4th slot be nasty plot. it only takes 1 forced switch read or using its natural bulk to eat 1 hit for thundurus-t to use its obsurd special attack and speed combined with that nasty plot and coverage for a game to be over. While having access to nasty plot is nice, thanks to boots letting it come in and out a lot, it can simply be used to chunk something down, then get out to threaten a huge hit or nasty plot later

The only real threats come down to special tanks, and even then, zapdos-g or lando-t can make quick work of them or scare them out. Sometimes, if the special tank cant threaten thundurus-t, it can even be used as set up fodder.

While :Moltres-Galar: might be a personal comfort pick, :Thundurus-Therian: feels like a requirement for any mono-flying team that wants to reach the high to top ladder

twinkay

la bella vita
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i'll try my best not to repeat too much but i'll still repeat some noms ofc.

:ribombee: Ribombee (Bug): C -> B: qd ribombee has a solid niche as a wincon vs dragon and dark, two matchups that can be difficult for bug otherwise. it's not useless in other matchups like psychic / poison either, and it just has general cleaning potential thanks to qd being a good move in general lol. bug is the kind of type where u want to win as many mus as possible because you can't coverall all your weakness so it fits that style pretty well
:golisopod: Golisopod (Bug) D -> C / B: just a good mon in general that can provide a lot of momentum and utility with spikes, knock, taunt to deny hazards, etc. it can't really fit everything it wants into one set which is kinda annoying but overall it is useful in pretty much every game
:mandibuzz: Mandibuzz (Dark) S -> A: it's not as essential on dark anymore because of the rise of screens dark, which doesn't need it. it's still good on balance but it's not necessary in general anymore since you would rather have grimmsnarl + moltres-g check fightings on screens
:moltres-galar: Moltres-G (Dark) B -> A: similarly to the above nom, moltres-g has taken mandibuzz's niche on screens by being able to check fightings to an extent while also being the best sweeper in the tier that can win every matchup except like 2
:kommo-o: Kommo-o (Dragon) C -> B: dragon is one of the few vrs where nothing on it is objectively bad, but I still think kommo-o is a lot more useful than duraludon / latios. sub / body press is the best wincon vs dark and steel available to the type, but it's viability is not just limited to that and it's great in other mus like electric and ground
:raichu-alola: Raichu-A (Electric) S -> A: after elec's hard downfall post-wcop teams are a lot better equipped to handle elec's offensive threats so this mon doesn't find nearly as much value. rise in molt-g flying, skuntank / nido poison, and rain water (and lanturn water?) all hurt its wallbreaking ability to a degree. it's still good but not necessary anymore and other mons on elec can provide more value
:tapu_fini: Tapu Fini (Fairy) C -> B: cm fini is one of the scariest sweepers in the tier, and even if attribute fairy has died down since its prime like mid-mlt this mon is still really good.
:mimikyu: Mimikyu (Fairy) B -> C: i don't see how this mon is remotely comparable with togekiss / azumarill which are actually good on fairy, this mon doesn't provide anything new and doesn't help the type in any meaninful way, and is just really difficult to justify a teamslot for. i guess it's like okay for psychic but i don't think you need it to win that matchup. i mean it got used once in mpl and did literally nothing for context
:torkoal: Torkoal (Fire) S -> A: i wouldn't say it's necessary in the same way that cinderace is, sun-less fire feels fine and allows you to fit more useful mons such as volcanion / incineroar / etc. rapid spin isn't that important either since you can just run boots on everything, and you can fit random defog on something instead
:marowak-alola: Marowak-A (Fire) D -> B: it's not as important as it was in elec meta but you still need an elec immune to not get owned in elec matchup and it's still useful vs a bunch of other types such as fairy and psychic. i would nom this in c but that rank has too many unviables and marowak is def better than mons like talonflame
:froslass: Froslass (Ghost) D -> B: froslass is a good suicide lead that gets spikes up, preserves momentum, and can be difficult to play around effectively with destiny bond. it's just a very useful mon for an already offensive type
:venusaur: Venusaur (Grass) D -> B: actually gives grass a wincon vs steel, and just a significant offensive threat in general. it forces you to run sunny day whimsi which can feel kind of bad but the trade-off is worth it. the main prob is that you can get outplayed by the steel user / balloon tran which makes venu kind of inconsistent so i wouldn't say it's above b for now
:hippowdon: Hippowdon (Ground) S -> A: sandless ground is good, maybe even better than sand ground, and this mon just kind of feels lackluster in general with the mono eq set you're forced to run on most teams
:diggersby: Diggersby (Ground) D -> C: good utility mon with knock / u-turn / spikes helping out your other offensive threats in every game. scarf patches up speed issues for the most part, but i don't think it's necessary either
:cloyster: Cloyster (Ice) B -> A: the premier defensive mon on ice. it's just very convenient to run this mon with spin being necessary since so many ice mons want to forgo boots, and it can provide spikes / tspikes support, force helmet chip on steels / urshifu, and somewhat mitigate celesteela with teleport
:arctozolt: Arctozolt (Ice) D -> B: a fantastic wallbreaker that improves all your matchups greatly, especially flying which can feel pretty bad with ppl running double steel move steela. sub also allows you to outplay most defensive mons and force damage vs the opposing team.
:ditto: Ditto (Normal) S -> A: it's not as necessary as it was in urshifu-s meta because normal teams have other ways to outplay the other relevant fightings and would rather fit obstagoon / bewear / porygon2 that help you win other matchups or check more relevant threats. it's still fine but not essential like the blissey / chansey slot is
:crobat: Crobat (Poison) D -> B: it's just as good if not better as a ground immune than weezing, since it can provide utility with infilrator toxic (since poison gets kind of owned by sub sweepers otherwise) and defog
:skuntank: Skuntank (Poison) C -> B: again, something that was probably more necessary in elec meta because you needed sucker punch to check raichu-a but it's still a very good psychic check with sucker / crunch threatening offensive psychics and aftermath giving you ways to outplay physical sweepers. it's not as clearly outclassed by drapion as it used to be and now they're about equal imo
:scizor: Scizor (Steel) D -> C: scizor has a clear niche in being able to threaten a ton of types with spammable sd bullet punch, including dark / dragon / poison / ground / etc. steel really doesn't have that many stab users too outside of melmetal / some excadrill so it's nice to have strong stab
:toxapex: Toxapex (Water) S -> A: water s-ranks are weird because the type has so much flexibility (similar to flying) but half of good rain waters don't even use this mon, it doesn't provide as much momentum as slowking / swampert do in terms of defensive slots. i would still consider it good on balance water but rain water has other ways of dealing with the mons that pex is "needed" for (ex: tapu bulu)
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt (Water) B - > A: this mon doesn't even feel awkward anymore, it just is insanely valuable on rain because of the spammability of band aqua jet. band knock / water stab is also incredibly scary if you're able to get crawdaunt in vs a slower target through teleport / aggresively doubling
:volcanion: Volcanion (Water) C -> B: great on rain or balance for steel breaking / wincon vs grass / defog, as well just general strong water move in rain spam.
:golisopod: Golisopod (Water) D -> B: similar to the bug nom, this mon just provides so much utility with knock / spikes, but the stab first impression / leech life in particular is very useful for balance water to threaten mons like zarude
:walrein: Walrein (Water) UNR -> C: while kyurem is in the tier, this mon will have a niche being the only viable freeze-dry switch in while also being able to threaten to break sub or toxic the kyurem

the d ranks are kind of dire and i would recommend just getting rid of them entirely and moving the mons that are viable to c. i nommed a lot of mons that were in d up but there are still some that should move up as well that i didn't talk about cause this post is already kinda long (sableye on dark, slowbro on water, pelipper on flying, etc.) anyway add me to vr council please.

i'll try my best not to repeat too much but i'll still repeat some noms ofc.

:ribombee: Ribombee (Bug): C -> B: qd ribombee has a solid niche as a wincon vs dragon and dark, two matchups that can be difficult for bug otherwise. it's not useless in other matchups like psychic / poison either, and it just has general cleaning potential thanks to qd being a good move in general lol. bug is the kind of type where u want to win as many mus as possible because you can't coverall all your weakness so it fits that style pretty well
:golisopod: Golisopod (Bug) D -> C / B: just a good mon in general that can provide a lot of momentum and utility with spikes, knock, taunt to deny hazards, etc. it can't really fit everything it wants into one set which is kinda annoying but overall it is useful in pretty much every game
:mandibuzz: Mandibuzz (Dark) S -> A: it's not as essential on dark anymore because of the rise of screens dark, which doesn't need it. it's still good on balance but it's not necessary in general anymore since you would rather have grimmsnarl + moltres-g check fightings on screens
:moltres-galar: Moltres-G (Dark) B -> A: similarly to the above nom, moltres-g has taken mandibuzz's niche on screens by being able to check fightings to an extent while also being the best sweeper in the tier that can win every matchup except like 2
:kommo-o: Kommo-o (Dragon) C -> B: dragon is one of the few vrs where nothing on it is objectively bad, but I still think kommo-o is a lot more useful than duraludon / latios. sub / body press is the best wincon vs dark and steel available to the type, but it's viability is not just limited to that and it's great in other mus like electric and ground
:raichu-alola: Raichu-A (Electric) S -> A: after elec's hard downfall post-wcop teams are a lot better equipped to handle elec's offensive threats so this mon doesn't find nearly as much value. rise in molt-g flying, skuntank / nido poison, and rain water (and lanturn water?) all hurt its wallbreaking ability to a degree. it's still good but not necessary anymore and other mons on elec can provide more value
:tapu_fini: Tapu Fini (Fairy) C -> B: cm fini is one of the scariest sweepers in the tier, and even if attribute fairy has died down since its prime like mid-mlt this mon is still really good.
:mimikyu: Mimikyu (Fairy) B -> C: i don't see how this mon is remotely comparable with togekiss / azumarill which are actually good on fairy, this mon doesn't provide anything new and doesn't help the type in any meaninful way, and is just really difficult to justify a teamslot for. i guess it's like okay for psychic but i don't think you need it to win that matchup. i mean it got used once in mpl and did literally nothing for context
:torkoal: Torkoal (Fire) S -> A: i wouldn't say it's necessary in the same way that cinderace is, sun-less fire feels fine and allows you to fit more useful mons such as volcanion / incineroar / etc. rapid spin isn't that important either since you can just run boots on everything, and you can fit random defog on something instead
:marowak-alola: Marowak-A (Fire) D -> B: it's not as important as it was in elec meta but you still need an elec immune to not get owned in elec matchup and it's still useful vs a bunch of other types such as fairy and psychic. i would nom this in c but that rank has too many unviables and marowak is def better than mons like talonflame
:froslass: Froslass (Ghost) D -> B: froslass is a good suicide lead that gets spikes up, preserves momentum, and can be difficult to play around effectively with destiny bond. it's just a very useful mon for an already offensive type
:venusaur: Venusaur (Grass) D -> B: actually gives grass a wincon vs steel, and just a significant offensive threat in general. it forces you to run sunny day whimsi which can feel kind of bad but the trade-off is worth it. the main prob is that you can get outplayed by the steel user / balloon tran which makes venu kind of inconsistent so i wouldn't say it's above b for now
:hippowdon: Hippowdon (Ground) S -> A: sandless ground is good, maybe even better than sand ground, and this mon just kind of feels lackluster in general with the mono eq set you're forced to run on most teams
:diggersby: Diggersby (Ground) D -> C: good utility mon with knock / u-turn / spikes helping out your other offensive threats in every game. scarf patches up speed issues for the most part, but i don't think it's necessary either
:cloyster: Cloyster (Ice) B -> A: the premier defensive mon on ice. it's just very convenient to run this mon with spin being necessary since so many ice mons want to forgo boots, and it can provide spikes / tspikes support, force helmet chip on steels / urshifu, and somewhat mitigate celesteela with teleport
:arctozolt: Arctozolt (Ice) D -> B: a fantastic wallbreaker that improves all your matchups greatly, especially flying which can feel pretty bad with ppl running double steel move steela. sub also allows you to outplay most defensive mons and force damage vs the opposing team.
:ditto: Ditto (Normal) S -> A: it's not as necessary as it was in urshifu-s meta because normal teams have other ways to outplay the other relevant fightings and would rather fit obstagoon / bewear / porygon2 that help you win other matchups or check more relevant threats. it's still fine but not essential like the blissey / chansey slot is
:crobat: Crobat (Poison) D -> B: it's just as good if not better as a ground immune than weezing, since it can provide utility with infilrator toxic (since poison gets kind of owned by sub sweepers otherwise) and defog
:skuntank: Skuntank (Poison) C -> B: again, something that was probably more necessary in elec meta because you needed sucker punch to check raichu-a but it's still a very good psychic check with sucker / crunch threatening offensive psychics and aftermath giving you ways to outplay physical sweepers. it's not as clearly outclassed by drapion as it used to be and now they're about equal imo
:scizor: Scizor (Steel) D -> C: scizor has a clear niche in being able to threaten a ton of types with spammable sd bullet punch, including dark / dragon / poison / ground / etc. steel really doesn't have that many stab users too outside of melmetal / some excadrill so it's nice to have strong stab
:toxapex: Toxapex (Water) S -> A: water s-ranks are weird because the type has so much flexibility (similar to flying) but half of good rain waters don't even use this mon, it doesn't provide as much momentum as slowking / swampert do in terms of defensive slots. i would still consider it good on balance water but rain water has other ways of dealing with the mons that pex is "needed" for (ex: tapu bulu)
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt (Water) B - > A: this mon doesn't even feel awkward anymore, it just is insanely valuable on rain because of the spammability of band aqua jet. band knock / water stab is also incredibly scary if you're able to get crawdaunt in vs a slower target through teleport / aggresively doubling
:volcanion: Volcanion (Water) C -> B: great on rain or balance for steel breaking / wincon vs grass / defog, as well just general strong water move in rain spam.
:golisopod: Golisopod (Water) D -> B: similar to the bug nom, this mon just provides so much utility with knock / spikes, but the stab first impression / leech life in particular is very useful for balance water to threaten mons like zarude
:walrein: Walrein (Water) UNR -> C: while kyurem is in the tier, this mon will have a niche being the only viable freeze-dry switch in while also being able to threaten to break sub or toxic the kyurem

the d ranks are kind of dire and i would recommend just getting rid of them entirely and moving the mons that are viable to c. i nommed a lot of mons that were in d up but there are still some that should move up as well that i didn't talk about cause this post is already kinda long (sableye on dark, slowbro on water, pelipper on flying, etc.) anyway add me to vr council please.
I have only one comment, Fini should be A tier, not B. The CM ID DK SP set has no reliable counter outside melm/other extremely powerful wallbreakers and phazers that can utilize haze/clear smog. The made under the assumption that fini doesn't KO you because as luck would have it fini destroys all good hazers/clear smogers except perhaps mantine and gastrodon. In which case, taunt over ID would beat them.

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
Just my opinion:
exeggutor-alola.gif
Alolan Exeggutor: UR -> D (Grass)

Alolan Exeggutor is a decent, niche Pokemon that can *maybe* fit onto a Grass mono.

Pros:
----> Decently high HP (95), allowing it to set up decent substitutes
----> Access to dual Dragon & Grass STAB (not the greatest, but 135 power Dragon Hammer/112.5 power Giga Drain can dent cores)
----> Access to Leech Seed (not the best SubSeed combo, but worth considering nonetheless)
----> Resists fire (well, there are other 'mons that do it better (ahem, Cradily, ahem)), but nonetheless, still a good asset for Grass teams
----> The big one: Harvest + Sunny Day: 100% berry restoration, so sub damage is negated

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor
Reiterating Felines' point:

Crawdauntsprite (1).gif
Crawdaunt: B ----> A (Water), D ----> C (Dark)

Crawdaunt really carves its niche as a good scarfer/Life Orb user, with its spammable STAB (Adaptability boosted) Knock Off/Crabhammer being moves that, unless basically 4x resisted, can dent massive holes in defensive cores. It can also use speed control tactics with Aqua Jet. With Crawdaunt, though, I use a Life Orb/Dragon Dance setup to boost it.

th (1).jpg Sharpedo: D ----> C/D (Dark)

While Sharpedo is completely outclassed in a Water-type team by CB/Life Orb Barraskewda, Dark teams don't have much speed control besides scarfed Weavile. Speed Boost gives Sharpedo the chance to set up and be a revenge killer or mid-game cleaner. Protect is critical, though, due to its absolutely horrendous 40 Defense and Special Defense. However, if you can get around this, a Close Combat/Pro/STAB Crunch/STAB Waterfall (sometimes Liquidation) set can severely dent cores with its 120 Attack and Speed boosts.

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor
Sirfetch’d UR->D
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird/Defog

Ok, but there's a problem here: You can't use First Impression after your first turn on the field, and Fighting can't pivot reliably into Electric at all, so that's not going to fly. Also, Choice-locking can easily be revealed with the switch after FI, so I'm not sure how this set works at all.

Rock: Cradily B -> D tier.
Cradily's stat's so you don't have to look them up: 86/81/97/81/107/43
Cradily is actual garbage. It does not belong in B tier. Let me explain why.

As a bit of a prelude, I would like to say that while def/spdef invested it will be able to take a few hits (not even that well) from the respective attacks, it is rather frail on the other side of defence and crumbles rather easily.

CRUDily has only 2 uses. Absorbing water attacks and hitting ground types for a reasonable amount as well as tanking some of their hits. I will start with the former. You will almost never win the water MU just because of cradily. Sure, on the surface, water immunity is nice, BUT, it doesn't do anything else. It just lies on the field like a bag of crud. It can't hit back, with its measly 81 base special attack. Apart from that, due to the abundance of fighting coverage on water teams from the likes of urshifu, barraskewda and the more uncommon keldeo, all it takes is 1 easy prediction from one of the afformentioned pokemon (which isn't difficult for the opponent to do, especially if you are overly reliant on cradily throughout the match) and cradily gets OHKO'd (or 2HKO and outsped) and they just win from there on.

252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cradily: 276-326 (73.4 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Keep in mind that most players will run Sp Def Crudily in which case it gets OHKO'd. I just used Defence to prove my point.

Now I will admit that it can pose a threat towards ground. Key word is "can". From what I have understood throughout my games is that if you manage to take out excadrill, which means you have to either nail it with terrakion (if they let you), tank a hit with t tar/rhyperior and hit back (which once again can easily be stopped with a bit of planning and chip from the opponent), or they let you kill with stakataka (for whatever reason), then sure, cradily can do reasonably well, especially if you bait a scald from gastro to get the boost.
Now, as you may have noticed, all of the mentioned scenarios are ones that any skilled player could avoid easily, as long as they understand the matchup/know how much damage they do and take/how to switch out their pokemon. To show you a few calcs:

252 Atk Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cradily: 200-236 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (most excadrills will run a band or LO)

+1 4 SpA Cradily Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 230-272 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It does almost nothing on every other matchup that matters and is easy set up bait for the opponent, more so if they are running sub.

So, what have we seen so far? Crudily can't attack, and it can't defend well either. So what exactly does it do well? Well, in my opinion, it is an easy sacrifice to throw at the opponent when you need a clean switch.

Jokes aside, ,my point is that while, on the surface, it looks good, it does not do well in practice. If anything, it bogs the player down because they start to rely on it, rather than developing their own strategy to win the water/ground MU. It is too easy of a choice to just throw on your team because people have (falsely) informed you it's good and also, logically, it should do what it is supposed to do.

Here is what will actually win you the water and ground MU.
I propose Nihilego (Rock) A->S tier.
Nihi's stats so you don't need to look them up 109/53/47/127/131/103

Nihilego is what rock lacks the most. A decent special attacker. It has a wide array of good moves, (G-knot, T-bolt, Power gem, Sludge wave, D-Gleam, Meteor beam). It also has a good speed tier to outspeed most of the metagame. Power herb and Meteor beam give you a big burst of damage that is difficult to switch into for most types and if something walls you, but can't hit back, like Blissey, or corsola galar, you can just keep spamming it, racking up boosts and throwing out a random move every now and then to throw them off.
Note: for the meteor beam set, you can put the spare 80 EVs that you get (since you need speed>spatk) in defence to be able to take some reasonably powerful hits, assuming they arent super effective.

For the water MU, even with Nihilego your chances are rather meek, but there is a very clear-cut path to win. Your win condition (assuming rain water with barraskewda, the most difficult team build to fight) is either: A) Killing pelipper and getting rid of rain, then somehow keep barra from coming in until you can pick up a kill with nihi ( I have accomplished this a handful of times), or B) manage to rack up 3 speed boosts (this requires a brain dead opponent).

To show how urshifu can't just click AJ

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Nihilego: 308-366 (85.7 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
(the 80 def evs dramatically increase your chances of survival)

Now, for ground, excadrill poses a problem (once again) since you can't ever OHKO it with nihi, which is why it may not sweep, but it can ruin their team by hitting Hippowdon very hard, even without boost, and putting it in range for a Stakataka Gyro ball 2HKO or OHKO with an attack boost. If you manage to catch them with their pants down and without sand up, and pick up a kill with MB, you can G knot and OHKO it, in which case once gastro is weak, it is game over for ground. It can 2HKO garchomp with D gleam, so it counts as a check.

It also destroys dark, as only T tar can switch in , but even that can't happen indefinitely. For flying, it can also hit Celesteela incredibly hard (or even kill) with Powerbeam and set the team up for a staka sweep or OHKO Lando (with no defensive investment on lando's behalf)

The only matchup it falters in is Steel, by which it gets walled hard.

TL;DR: Crudily sucks, Nihilego rules.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been testing a lot of the D rankings on the VR and I feel like the ranking itself is very misleading, especially for beginners reading this resource. If someone pms me (a member of the VR team) asking what does Xurkitee or Sharpedo does in Monotype because it is ranked and I reply it has minimal-to-none viability and its outclassed, what's the point of it being ranked in the first place. If we expect users to use the Viability Rankings as a reliable resource provided by knowledgeable players, we must provide factual information to support them.

Crustle (Bug)
Frosmoth (Bug)
Orbeetle (Bug)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Duraludon (Dragon)
Noivern (Dragon)
Regieleki (Electric)
Heliolisk (Electric)
Toxtricity (Electric)
Xurkitree (Electric)
Galvantula (Electric)
Galarian Weezing (Fairy)
Ribombee (Fairy)
Diancie (Fairy)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Conkeldurr (Fighting)
Lucario (Fighting)
Charizard (Fire)
Talonflame (Fire)
Darmanitan (Fire)
Salazzle (Fire)
Ninetales (Fire)
Aerodactyl (Flying)
Mandibuzz (Flying)
Gyarados (Flying)
Xatu (Flying)
Hawlucha (Flying)
Sableye (Ghost)
Poltergeist (Ghost)
Roserade (Grass)
Shiftry (Grass)
Appletun (Grass)
Dugtrio (Ground)
Quagsire (Ground)
Avalugg (Ice)
Indeedee (Normal)
Dragalge (Poison)
Slowking (Psychic)
Xatu (Psychic)
Orbeetle (Psychic)
Gardevoir (Psychic)
Necrozma (Psychic)
Cresselia (Psychic)
Azelf (Psychic)
Crustle (Rock)
Cradily (Rock)
Stakataka (Steel)
Lucario (Steel)
Durant (Steel)
Kabutops (Water)
Omatar (Water)
Sharpedo (Water)
Vaporeon (Water)

Last edited:
I've been testing a lot of the D rankings on the VR and I feel like the ranking itself is very misleading, especially for beginners reading this resource. If someone pms me (a member of the VR team) asking what does Xurkitee or Sharpedo does in Monotype because it is ranked and I reply it has minimal-to-none viability and its outclassed, what's the point of it being ranked in the first place. If we expect users to use the Viability Rankings as a reliable resource provided by knowledgeable players, we must provide factual information to support them.

Crustle (Bug)
Frosmoth (Bug)
Orbeetle (Bug)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Duraludon (Dragon)
Noivern (Dragon)
Regieleki (Electric)
Heliolisk (Electric)
Toxtricity (Electric)
Xurkitree (Electric)
Galvantula (Electric)
Galarian Weezing (Fairy)
Ribombee (Fairy)
Diancie (Fairy)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Conkeldurr (Fighting)
Lucario (Fighting)
Charizard (Fire)
Talonflame (Fire)
Darmanitan (Fire)
Salazzle (Fire)
Ninetales (Fire)
Articuno (Flying)
Aerodactyl (Flying)
Mandibuzz (Flying)
Gyarados (Flying)
Xatu (Flying)
Hawlucha (Flying)
Sableye (Ghost)
Decidueye (Ghost)
Poltergeist (Ghost)
Roserade (Grass)
Shiftry (Grass)
Venusaur (Grass)
Appletun (Grass)
Virizion (Grass)
Diggersby (Ground)
Dugtrio (Ground)
Quagsire (Ground)
Avalugg (Ice)
Indeedee (Normal)
Dragalge (Poison)
Slowking (Psychic)
Xatu (Psychic)
Orbeetle (Psychic)
Gardevoir (Psychic)
Necrozma (Psychic)
Reuniclus (Psychic)
Cresselia (Psychic)
Azelf (Psychic)
Crustle (Rock)
Cradily (Rock)
Stakataka (Steel)
Lucario (Steel)
Durant (Steel)
Kabutops (Water)
Omatar (Water)
Sharpedo (Water)
Starmie (Water)
Vaporeon (Water)
Suicune (Water)
Primarina (Water)
Finally, someone else who also believes that cradily should be removed from the Rock VR

Crustle (Bug)
Frosmoth (Bug)
Orbeetle (Bug)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Duraludon (Dragon)
Noivern (Dragon)
Regieleki (Electric)
Heliolisk (Electric)
Toxtricity (Electric)
Xurkitree (Electric)
Galvantula (Electric)
Galarian Weezing (Fairy)
Ribombee (Fairy)
Diancie (Fairy)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Conkeldurr (Fighting)
Lucario (Fighting)
Charizard (Fire)
Talonflame (Fire)
Darmanitan (Fire)
Salazzle (Fire)
Ninetales (Fire)
Aerodactyl (Flying)
Mandibuzz (Flying)
Gyarados (Flying)
Xatu (Flying)
Hawlucha (Flying)
Sableye (Ghost)
Poltergeist (Ghost)
Roserade (Grass)
Shiftry (Grass)
Appletun (Grass)
Dugtrio (Ground)
Quagsire (Ground)
Avalugg (Ice)
Indeedee (Normal)
Dragalge (Poison)
Slowking (Psychic)
Xatu (Psychic)
Orbeetle (Psychic)
Gardevoir (Psychic)
Necrozma (Psychic)
Cresselia (Psychic)
Azelf (Psychic)
Crustle (Rock)
Cradily (Rock)
Stakataka (Steel)
Lucario (Steel)
Durant (Steel)
Kabutops (Water)
Omatar (Water)
Sharpedo (Water)
Vaporeon (Water)
I wholeheartedly agree. D tier is for “unoptimable but it does SOMETHING” not “wholly outclassed in every aspect”

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor

Crustle (Bug)
Frosmoth (Bug)
Orbeetle (Bug)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Duraludon (Dragon)
Noivern (Dragon)
Regieleki (Electric)
Heliolisk (Electric)
Toxtricity (Electric)
Xurkitree (Electric)
Galvantula (Electric)
Galarian Weezing (Fairy)
Ribombee (Fairy)
Diancie (Fairy)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Conkeldurr (Fighting)
Lucario (Fighting)
Charizard (Fire)
Talonflame (Fire)
Darmanitan (Fire)
Salazzle (Fire)
Ninetales (Fire)
Aerodactyl (Flying)
Mandibuzz (Flying)
Gyarados (Flying)
Xatu (Flying)
Hawlucha (Flying)
Sableye (Ghost)
Poltergeist (Ghost)
Roserade (Grass)
Shiftry (Grass)
Appletun (Grass)
Dugtrio (Ground)
Quagsire (Ground)
Avalugg (Ice)
Indeedee (Normal)
Dragalge (Poison)
Slowking (Psychic)
Xatu (Psychic)
Orbeetle (Psychic)
Gardevoir (Psychic)
Necrozma (Psychic)
Cresselia (Psychic)
Azelf (Psychic)
Crustle (Rock)
Cradily (Rock)
Stakataka (Steel)
Lucario (Steel)
Durant (Steel)
Kabutops (Water)
Omastar (Water)
Sharpedo (Water)
Vaporeon (Water)
I mostly agree. However, the "C" ranks are for viable picks that have a small niche, while the "D" ranks should be abolished. Things like Appletun (Fire/Ice neutrality) and Conkeldurr (Guts user) have things that help them with their small niche, but things in the D-rank are completely outclassed.

I vote to get rid of the D-rank.

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor
:swsh/melmetal: B -> A (Steel)

Man, Melmetal dropped off a long way from the point where it was about to be banned from Monotype, huh?

I understand that many teams have a counter to this, such as Fairy and Rock. However, I believe Banded sets have far too much power to be in "B" rank. It has a monstrous Iron Fist-boosted STAB Double Iron Bash, that decimates common cores. Additionally, it has very high defenses, allowing it to stomach super-effective hits. Combined with Heatran and Aegislash, Melmetal is a very potent wallbreaker.

Attacking
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 160-188 (50.3 - 59.1%) -- approx. 2HKO
----------------------------------
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu through Reflect: 500-590 (199.2 - 235%) -- guaranteed OHKO (breaks Disguise first hit)
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion through Reflect: 456-536 (141.1 - 165.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian through Reflect: 378-446 (118.4 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defending
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 260-308 (55 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 266-314 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 288-338 (61 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zapdos-Galar Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 420-494 (88.9 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zapdos-Galar Thunderous Kick vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 314-372 (66.5 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:swsh/spectrier: S -> A/B
:swsh/blacephalon: B -> A

On first glance, Spectrier looks like a much better version of Gengar with its higher stats. However, it goes downhill very quickly when you look at its movepool. Literally all it has (viable) are Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Mud Shot (you know you're desperate when this is your best coverage move that isn't Ghost or Dark), Calm Mind, and Will-o-Wisp. While I do agree with the "Oh, but Spectrier demolishes cores" people, it simply doesn't have the movepool to break anything that resists its main moves. This is coming from a Specstrier user. So, what should you use instead?
Blacephalon has a decent dual typing, alongside a very good STAB move in Fire Blast and a nuke in Mind Blown. Choice Specs sets can decimate most defensive typings, with coverage such as Psychic (Psyshock, maybe) and Dark Pulse in its arsenal. While not as diverse as Gengar's movepool, at least you have some wiggle room. Finally, it cripples defensive walls that try to click Toxic with Trick, choice-locking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)