SS OU First time 1800+ TR Final Gambit Victini + CB Melmetal offense

Hey everyone. I am sorry if this isn't as impressive as many of the other posts in here. But this is the first time I get to 1800 and I am just so very happy about it. The last 6 months, I've been taking a random team (mostly BO/Balance/Weird HO) from a fresh account all the way to 1700. However, I wasn't confident enough to actually aim for the next milestone. So yee, this is a big personal milestone. Anyway, here's the team:
How the team came to be: I had never been a fan of scarf kyurem, thought that timid was too slow for a scarfer and modest even worse. About a month or so ago, I started messing around with Omari P's Glastrier Offense and really liked it. I specially liked how Melmetal, Victini and Mew were able to bait in tran and kill it so that Scarf Kyurem would've an easier time cleaning up late game. Fast forward to a week ago, I was messing around on some random alt when I found this guy AgenFlex on ladder. He had a Victini, Melmetal, Glastrier, Kartana, Dragapult and Garchomp(?) so you know, your standard offense with a glastrier. Halfway through the gam though, the Victini used Trick Room. I still thought "whatever, I've seen this before" (actually Down$hift had been using a team with WP Glaciate Trick Room Victini). After this, the Victini killed my lando with V-create, I go into another mon and... he kills it with Final Gambit. I was so fucking amazed by this. Legit, I was so pumped. Now I was able to realize what the melmetal and glastrier in the back were for. Anyway, this guy told me Vic has Iron ball and after that, I put myself to work. After some time I finally decided on the team: A mixture of the things I liked in both Omari P's and AgenFlex's teams.

Victini: :Victini:

Victini @ Iron Ball
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike

I only wanted and needed Trick Room, V-Create, Final Gambit and Iron Ball. Bolt Strike is just a filler. You try to get it in before it takes rocks, click trick room, and either final gambit right away, or v-create if you have the chance. You are trying to (hopefully) take down one of: Heatran, Toxapex, Tapu fini, Mew, Slowbro, Volcarona, Garchomp, LandorusT, Ferro, Corvi (these 2 can stay alive). A few things to note: Mew is almost never going to taunt Victini, so you are free to set up trick room on it's face and kill it. Doesn't matter if it gets up rocks, that's fine. Besides mew, You try to set up trick room in front of Ferro, Corvi, Scizor, Clefable, Volcarona and locked Lele/Kyurem.

Melmetal: :Melmetal:

Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower

YOU CLICK DOUBLE IRON BASH. Unless you are feeling spicy and want to predict a ferro or heatran, you always click DIB. This is just your classy CB TR Melmetal, we all know how it goes. Just note that Victini is try to take down Pex, Bro, Tran, Volcarona, Ferro or Corvi, so that Melly has an easier time clicking DIB without worrying about Helmet, Barbs or burns.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- U-turn

Nothing to say here. Just another breaker. But he is fast outside of trick room so there's that. You really need Aqua Jet so the team doesn't crumble to Volcarona. On the same spirit as Melmetal, just click your stab moves without care, I promise it will be fine.

Duondorus: :Landorus-Therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

I just wanna say that Double Dance LandoT is called Duondorus and sorry if you don't like it. Hopefully opposing corvi is alive and isn't iron defense, so you can set up in front of it. Or maybe ferro doesn't have gyro ball, that works too. I am surprised at the amount of games I was able to win thanks to this guy. I don't think I'll ever go back to defensive LandoT.

Kyurem: :Kyurem:

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power

Lowkey the other start of the team. Scarf Kyurem is just goated and I am really sad I didn't save any of the games it cleaned. Against opposing dragapult, you always lead kyurem and click super effective move, you do not predict.

Ferrothorn: :Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

The team was weak to fini and shifu, so I just put Chople ferro last. Obviously, it needed Power Whip. I wanted rocks, and I like body press. I also put Twave to try and handle those big threats who try to stay in front of it. Namely Volcarona, Tauntless Torn, "I will click shadow ball" dragapult, kartana, hawlucha, to name a few.

Some Replays:

My favorite of the ones I saved: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1434857515
Note that I clicked Final Gambit with Victini instead of bolt strike cause I wanted the extra turn of TR for Melmetal. Otherwise, i would've needed to click final gambit the turn after and just do 50 to something. Melly was robbed of it's 3 kills by curssed body, but thats fine cause kyurem and ferro got to clean up.

Lando sets up in fron of ferro and wins thanks to a lucky? crit: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1434965843

Melmetal gets 4 kills: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435015402

Thank you all for reading. And big SO to the people in the OU room who constantly keep up with my bs.

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
I really really liked the concept behind this team, so much so that i went ahead and tried it out myself with some modifications ( and it seemed to do well so here I am with the teamrate )

Major changes :
:ss/tornadus-therian: :ss/Tapu Fini: > :ss/kyurem: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
Grouping these together since i added both of them at the same time while i was trying to reconstruct the team. Personally, i feel shifu is the kind of mon that you try and support (in its role as wallbreaker), which isnt really an ideal gameplan for this team since you dont want to be switching Victini and Melmetal in and out throughout a game ( which i feel increases the burden on the remaining 3 slots to help shifu ). This was my thought process towards going for a different water type , preferably something bulky, since heatran is essentially a hard counter to our "core", which is how i ended up with fini. Something that was also running in the back of my mind was how good i felt Torn fit on this team, since at this point we were in need of some role compression ( and some speedcontrol ) so i swapped it out for Kyurem ( also felt that the team was too "passive" to take advantage of scarf/specs kyu). Moving onto the individual sets since i feel getting an idea of what they exactly do will help you use the team better :

:tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 36 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Originally, i was torn (hehe) between opting for defog/boots or av, since both seemed to fit decently well when i was theorymonning ( the standard defog set would help provide hazard removal ; AV would help stomach hits vs pult more consistently ) but i ultimately ended up opting for this set for primarily one reason : :Toxapex:. As you might have noticed already, nothing on this team really likes switching into pex which means that we must ban it !!!!! for being broken!!! taunt ( + knock/cane) really helps us put the pressure on opposing pex (which usually think they can sit on you with no repercussions). This set also helps us really rack up the damage and force it to stick (which synergizes well with the idea of cleaning up with victini and melm late game).
speed allows you to outpace base 110's, defense allows you to tank one surging strikes from band shifu (from full), and spdef helps you to take one hit from specs lele(from full)

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 232 HP / 72 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 306-363 (85.7 - 101.6%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Psychic Terrain: 300-354 (84 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 308-364 (86.2 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

i realise that they arent guaranteed to live but i feel satisfied about minimizing the odds to this extent, if it still ohkos just train your luck factor id say '-'

:Tapu Fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 184 HP / 112 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

Fini here is made scarf rather than being defensive/cm so that we have some form of outspeeding koko/pult/zera/weav which i felt was more valuable to the team. The speed evs makes you outspeed zera , the spa ensures the moonblast ohko on pult and weav from full, rest is dumped in HP so that youre better at sponging hits from shifu/blacephalon(+ other shadow balls). All around just a good glue to the team, Fini rounds out our team well and helps us patch in a lot of holes

Minor changes ( Tweaked the sets of the remaining mons to my liking, feel free to resort to something that you prefer) :
:Victini:
Victini @ Iron Ball > Weakness Policy :weakness policy:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD > 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 Def
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike
optimized evs to make it live one eq from scarf lando / sd exca from full ; can be potentially game changing

Though iron ball seems like a neat idea given that its a base 100' mon that wants to function under TR, i prefer WP for two reasons:
1) After 1 V-create, in TR you mostly outspeed on those mons you were missing out on earlier (clef , corv etc)
2) WP , coupled with the good natural bulk that vic has allows you to soften up would be DiB checks for later in the game ( pex/hippo/lando(+other bulky grounds))

something else that you can keep in mind is how you can potentially bluff a scarf if you havent revealed fini's item yet ( since you take hazards damage )

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand > Leftovers :leftovers:
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe > 224 HP / 232 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly
> Careful Nature
- Swords Dance > Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > U-Turn
- Rock Polish > Knock Off / Toxic

Opted for a standard defensive lando over double dance since i felt it was better suited for this team. Wanted to free ferro of being the rocker since i felt spikes would better aid our goal of cleaning with the TR duo. Spdef lando is the wave rn and for good reason - its great at what it does ( helps us in sponging hits from pult for example ). It also helps us as a good tran check ( fini is a one time emergency check at best, you dont want it getting chipped down since it doesnt have lefties ). Something else to keep in mind is how we need to keep one of it / victini healthy for volc ( since we dropped shifu ). Speed evs allow you to outpace arctozolt out of hail, feel free to drop some more spdef to creep for some faster heatrans running around.

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry > Leftovers :leftovers:
Relaxed Nature > Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave > Leech Seed
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock > Spikes
- Power Whip

Nothing too different, since you dont have gyro you can go impish, dropping rocks for spikes as mentioned earlier. Leech over twave is a personal preference, i like how it helps me play with ferro a lot more freely ( i can care less about chip ). Also dropping chople for lefties since we now have fini as a shifu soft check. Something to keep in mind is how we need to preserve its health when we see a weavile on preview.

Here are some replays of the team in action :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435176814-6lz3nidfnxk7aqtjx66t8c2r9bdw8n6pw ( torn pulls its weight early game)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435184135-dtc37bpz7sjjpov1de3m11y7wqamilypw ( victini really shines )

Sorry if this felt wordy, this is my first time doing something of this sort ^_^;
That being said i hope you enjoy the team !

I really really liked the concept behind this team, so much so that i went ahead and tried it out myself with some modifications ( and it seemed to do well so here I am with the teamrate )

Major changes :
Grouping these together since i added both of them at the same time while i was trying to reconstruct the team. Personally, i feel shifu is the kind of mon that you try and support (in its role as wallbreaker), which isnt really an ideal gameplan for this team since you dont want to be switching Victini and Melmetal in and out throughout a game ( which i feel increases the burden on the remaining 3 slots to help shifu ). This was my thought process towards going for a different water type , preferably something bulky, since heatran is essentially a hard counter to our "core", which is how i ended up with fini. Something that was also running in the back of my mind was how good i felt Torn fit on this team, since at this point we were in need of some role compression ( and some speedcontrol ) so i swapped it out for Kyurem ( also felt that the team was too "passive" to take advantage of scarf/specs kyu). Moving onto the individual sets since i feel getting an idea of what they exactly do will help you use the team better :

Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Originally, i was torn (hehe) between opting for defog/boots or av, since both seemed to fit decently well when i was theorymonning ( the standard defog set would help provide hazard removal ; AV would help stomach hits vs pult more consistently ) but i ultimately ended up opting for this set for primarily one reason : :Toxapex:. As you might have noticed already, nothing on this team really likes switching into pex which means that we must ban it !!!!! for being broken!!! taunt ( + knock/cane) really helps us put the pressure on opposing pex (which usually think they can sit on you with no repercussions). This set also helps us really rack up the damage and force it to stick (which synergizes well with the idea of cleaning up with victini and melm late game).
speed allows you to outpace base 110's, defense allows you to tank one surging strikes from band shifu (from full), and spdef helps you to take one hit from specs lele(from full)

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 232 HP / 72 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 306-363 (85.7 - 101.6%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Psychic Terrain: 300-354 (84 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 36 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 308-364 (86.2 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

i realise that they arent guaranteed to live but i feel satisfied about minimizing the odds to this extent, if it still ohkos just train your luck factor id say '-'

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

Fini here is made scarf rather than being defensive/cm so that we have some form of outspeeding koko/pult/zera/weav which i felt was more valuable to the team. The speed evs makes you outspeed zera , the spa ensures the moonblast ohko on pult and weav from full, rest is dumped in HP so that youre better at sponging hits from shifu/blacephalon(+ other shadow balls). All around just a good glue to the team, Fini rounds out our team well and helps us patch in a lot of holes

Minor changes ( Tweaked the sets of the remaining mons to my liking, feel free to resort to something that you prefer) :
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike
optimized evs to make it live one eq from scarf lando / sd exca from full ; can be potentially game changing

Though iron ball seems like a neat idea given that its a base 100' mon that wants to function under TR, i prefer WP for two reasons:
1) After 1 V-create, in TR you mostly outspeed on those mons you were missing out on earlier (clef , corv etc)
2) WP , coupled with the good natural bulk that vic has allows you to soften up would be DiB checks for later in the game ( pex/hippo/lando(+other bulky grounds))

something else that you can keep in mind is how you can potentially bluff a scarf if you havent revealed fini's item yet ( since you take hazards damage )

Jolly
> Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > U-Turn

Opted for a standard defensive lando over double dance since i felt it was better suited for this team. Wanted to free ferro of being the rocker since i felt spikes would better aid our goal of cleaning with the TR duo. Spdef lando is the wave rn and for good reason - its great at what it does ( helps us in sponging hits from pult for example ). It also helps us as a good tran check ( fini is a one time emergency check at best, you dont want it getting chipped down since it doesnt have lefties ). Something else to keep in mind is how we need to keep one of it / victini healthy for volc ( since we dropped shifu ). Speed evs allow you to outpace arctozolt out of hail, feel free to drop some more spdef to creep for some faster heatrans running around.

- Body Press
- Stealth Rock > Spikes
- Power Whip

Nothing too different, since you dont have gyro you can go impish, dropping rocks for spikes as mentioned earlier. Leech over twave is a personal preference, i like how it helps me play with ferro a lot more freely ( i can care less about chip ). Also dropping chople for lefties since we now have fini as a shifu soft check. Something to keep in mind is how we need to preserve its health when we see a weavile on preview.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435176814-6lz3nidfnxk7aqtjx66t8c2r9bdw8n6pw ( torn pulls its weight early game)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435184135-dtc37bpz7sjjpov1de3m11y7wqamilypw ( victini really shines )

Sorry if this felt wordy, this is my first time doing something of this sort ^_^;
Thank you for taking the time to try the idea with your own modifications. I love the Victini-Melmetal idea too, so it's nice to see it on a more balanced team. I specially enjoy seeing SpDef Rocks Lando + PhysDef Spikes Ferro, since I (like many others) have used it in the past to great effect.

Personally, I never intended Victini to do anything too crazy and was meant more as an early game mon, when there are still Garchomps, Heatrans and Landos to take your hits. I was actually doubtful WP was any good really, but the replays you provided really show it can be pretty good.

I'll for sure try it out later. Ty very much!! <3

Ngl this team idea is probably my favorite this gen! Victini blends so many archetypes together nicely while being a well rounded utility mon.

Want a free KO? Have the highest HP Final Gambit in the game!

Want to nuke grounds with a high base power STAB move while receiving a way to hit bulky birds and water types? You got it! (We don't talk about Quadsire, Swampert, and Gastrodon)

Want to capitalize on the speed drop from one of your highest STAB moves? All yours buster.

Seriously this is such a cool thing that I never would have thought of, and even with the paste released it's so fun and potent at the same time. Great job!

Major changes :

Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike

Jolly
> Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > U-Turn

- Body Press
- Stealth Rock > Spikes
- Power Whip

Epic team, I would put one more speed ev on the fini to guarantee you outspeed jolly dnite after one dd, I feel like that scenario would be more common than one hp mattering.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to try the idea with your own modifications. I love the Victini-Melmetal idea too, so it's nice to see it on a more balanced team. I specially enjoy seeing SpDef Rocks Lando + PhysDef Spikes Ferro, since I (like many others) have used it in the past to great effect.

Personally, I never intended Victini to do anything too crazy and was meant more as an early game mon, when there are still Garchomps, Heatrans and Landos to take your hits. I was actually doubtful WP was any good really, but the replays you provided really show it can be pretty good.

I'll for sure try it out later. Ty very much!! <3
Yo setsu I made a forum account

Major changes :

Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike

Jolly
> Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > U-Turn

- Body Press
- Stealth Rock > Spikes
- Power Whip

I would suggest changing the Fini EVs up some. Dragonite seems like an issue, as it walls most of this team and Ice Punch is a problem. Some form of contingency for it would be best, 216 with a Timid nature and Scarf allows it to outspeed Jolly Dnite at +1 and hit it with Moonblast.

Also, why the 112 SpA? I never knew why that was used and it has always seemed arbitrary to me.

Major changes :

Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike

Jolly
> Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge > U-Turn

- Body Press
- Stealth Rock > Spikes
- Power Whip

112 spa evs only let you ohko pult 25% of the time from full, and weavile is only 37.5% of the time, and moistshifu is a 83.1% chance to ohko from full.

Here are the calcs:
112 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 278-330 (87.6 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
112 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Weavile: 252-296 (89.6 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
112 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 332-392 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

While stealth rocks does turn shifu and pult into guaranteed ohkos, the same cannot be said for weavile, who typically runs hbd. 140 spa evs gets the guaranteed ohko on shifu without stealth rocks, 232 guarantees weavile, and you need all 252 to guarantee pult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)