Sports NFL Thread: 2021-2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
teams i really actually believe in: bucs
teams i think have semi-plausible sb shot: cards, rams, pack, saints, boys (ugh), bills, chiefs, chargers, titans, browns, ravens, bengals...

this imbalance scares me

Went to the game yesterday and the Eagles fan behind me was yelling at Tom Brady so loud that I felt some of his spit on my neck.

The Patriots coaching staff is basically the shining example of nepotism in the NFL. In addition to that, Belichick has been coaching scared the entire season and doesn't trust his QB to throw more than 30 times a game (or more than 5 yards down field.)

Their play calling and offensive approach is hilariously conservative for the modern day NFL and the defense hasn't lived up to its billing. Not to mention that only 1 of their high priced free agents is actually paying off.

Eventually people will stop making excuses for why the Patriots suck and will more thoroughly examine why this team his been on a downtrend for the past 4 seasons.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Pretzels remains a fucking brick for being unable to understand that holding a good offense to 10 points isn't fucking possible in the NFL with its current rules, and that the Patriots defense has played unbelievably well against some of the best offenses in the league. Cowboys came into foxborough with the literal best offense in the league and played some of their best ball of the season despite not being able to get a lot of explosiveness from its running backs and missing a lot of production from some of their better recievers; until very late in the game Lamb was 4/6 for 36 yards and a td at the end of 3. Cooper caught 3 balls in the first quarter for 41 yards and then went 2/5 and 14 yards for three quarters and overtime. Their leading receivers for most of the game were Zeke and the tight end Schultz! Add to that two redzone turnovers and holding the second best 3rd down efficient team so far this year to 3/13. They played fucking amazing and Dak Prescott played like a monster, avoiding all of the actually considerable pressure and being perfect to his 3rd option damn near every play.

Meanwhile the offseason talent acquisitions look really fucking good actually? I think are all on pace to have their best ever season or damn near close to it? The biggest and most glaring issue with the team is that the rookie QB looks like a solid Alex Smith level rookie QB. Sorry to alarm you but this is what happens when a good team has a middling QB making costly mistakes! But again when you've only ever extensively watched Tom Brady throwing to Rob Gronkowski your ideas of what teams should be capable of ends up really outlandishly skewed. Sorry that they couldn't replace the no contest greatest QB to ever live as well as the greatest tight end to ever live with guys just as capable?

Meanwhile the offseason talent acquisitions look really fucking good actually? I think are all on pace to have their best ever season or damn near close to it?
1634524872771.png

The Patriots of new England paid these players over 70 million dollars guaranteed.

This is Today's statline but this has been pretty much the average contribution by these players to the Patriots offense

Jonnu Smith is currently a 6th offensive linemen who blocks every play. Neslon agholor is like 69th in receiving yards, and Hunter Henry is currently playing like an average NFL TE.

And Jalen Mills sure looked great on the last play of the game today.

By no stretch of the imagination are any of these players on course for a career year.

The best move the Patriots made in free agency is "paid Matt Judon a bunch of money"

Kendrick Bourne has been ok I guess.
Pretzels remains a fucking brick for being unable to understand that holding a good offense to 10 points isn't fucking possible in the NFL with its current rules, and that the Patriots defense has played unbelievably well against some of the best offenses in the league.
Bill Belichick doesn't seem to understand it either since he is literally punting away possessions and settling for field goals at the highest rate in the NFL.

He's currently coaching like running the ball and playing risk adverse offense is going to win games.

Then again the man has been the worst evaluator of offensive talent in the NFL for about 6 years running.

They played fucking amazing
????
1634526496492.png

Last edited:

TheValkyries

Strong understanding of sample sizes and context. Excellent work by you as always.

Also great rebuttal by just pointing at the total passing yards as if he didn't throw the ball 51 times and very obviously played out of his mind while ignoring literally every other thing I said about how well they managed to contain a dynamically explosive offense that was playing at its best.

This is the thing about boston sports fans that I hate the fucking most. The opponent is always trash and is never allowed to have done anything good. It can ONLY be that our team did something catastrophically wrong and that everyone involved needs to be fired. Literally could watch identical plays and just swap the jersey's and either the defense got shredded or the offense did nothing special, or vice versa. Negative nancy's.

Strong understanding of sample sizes and context. Excellent work by you as always.
Jonnu smith has run 15 pass routes in the last 2 games

He averages 20 yards a game

He makes 13 Million per year

Through 6 games its an absolute bust of a signing and the sample size for all these big free agent additions is literally the 6 game span they've been here which is the only thing that can and should be used.
Also great rebuttal by just pointing at the total passing yards as if he didn't throw the ball 51 times and very obviously played out of his mind while ignoring literally every other thing I said about how well they managed to contain a dynamically explosive offense that was playing at its best.
I'm just finding it weird that you choose the day that Belichick's defense gave up the most yards in the history of him ever being a coach to say that the defense played "amazing"
This is the thing about boston sports fans that I hate the fucking most. The opponent is always trash and is never allowed to have done anything good. It can ONLY be that our team did something catastrophically wrong and that everyone involved needs to be fired. Literally could watch identical plays and just swap the jersey's and either the defense got shredded or the offense did nothing special, or vice versa. Negative nancy's.
The ghost of Antonin Scalia is jealous of how conservative Bill Belichick's coaching style and coaching choices have been this year. The Patriots coaching staff deserves to be questioned for multiple bad decisions because those choices have hurt the team.

Belichick isn't beyond reproach.

TheValkyries

belichick isn't beyond reproach he's just beyond YOUR reproach cuz you very obviously can't form a coherent complaint with any amount of understanding. Punting away possessions? Yeah he tried to be aggressive with the lead and 2 and half minutes left throwing for a first down instead of trying to burn clock running the ball. Mac threw a pick 6. Like perhaps, and I know this might be crazy, but perhaps being conservative is the only thing keeping these games close at all?? Because they have a rookie who has shown himself to make big mistakes? Because he's still... you know.. a fucking rookie?

And again, the defense played great because against a worse defense the cowboys would've been up by 20 at half and burning clock the rest of the game. The defense forced the Cowboys to play near perfect ball to win, and the cowboys did. To try and pretend that if you're actually any good no one ever gets the better of you is childish fantasy.

Also love to cling to "THIS MAN IS PAID MONEY AND ISNT DESTROYING ALL OPPONENTS???" Maybe you haven't noticed but smith has been injured since camp, and is largely limited in his role? If your point is there's very obvious room for improvement from the players who were signed this offseason, sure yeah, but like.... that's true of all free agent signings across the league who are integrating into new teams? Odell Beckham Jr is making 18 million this year, and is at 50 yards a game. By your logic he must also suck?

Also just want to point out that the guys you said are getting paid 70 million are literally only making half that this year. 36 million all told for smith henry and agholor. Those three had 1/4 of all recieving yards against the cowboys. If you want to argue they're overpaid, fine an argument could be made, but then you have to give credit to Jakobi Myers who was a fkn UNDRAFTED GUY who is the TEAM LEADER IN CATCHES AND YARDS??? But nope. Belichick only fails, any success is in spite of him. But even still compared to what they had last year, Jonnu Smith in 6 games has almost eclipsed what we had from our Tight Ends last season and he hasn't even played that well yet. To try and say it was money poorly spent is just factually false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)