SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

First, Heavy-Duty Boots don’t appear in the compilation of included items.
So it isn't in the game?

It's as bad as you think, if not worse. Lopunny used to learn Return naturally (and is the only species ever to do so), which was its go-to STAB move. Now Return is nothing but a happy memory. Pretty much every Normal-type up to Gen 4 had Body Slam and Double-Edge via learnset or FRLG move tutor. Sinnoh monsters like Lopunny were the first to miss out. Body Slam would not become available again until TR01 in Gen 8, when Lopunny was explicitly denied it after thirteen years. But hey, it picked up Mega Kick! That's... got to count for something, right?

Oh, and would you like to know why Headbutt is in there? Dizzy Punch also got cut in Gen 8. As did Jump Kick, its staple level-up coverage option.
All of Lopunny's defining moves since its first appearance in the series—gone.
Yeah normal types where never that great but at least some were decent. Now they're almost all useless.

There's not many people here saying this stuff is okay because the Day 1 Patch fixes it, but for those who say that and are reading this, there will be people that get the physical game and don't or can't update it and this is what they'll get. They're selling a game with this... I'm torn between, "This game has nice trainers but is seriously flawed." and, "Quick, get a 1.0 Version Cartridge if you want this game!"
That's sort of the beast with gaming nowadays. You have the tremendous freedom to fix things that day one patches gives you, but the nature of how connected gaming is now to internet does create problems too. If you don't have easy access to the internet, you don't have access to the same fixes. At a certain point we have to ask is this a price we want to pay.

Don't treat this as me excusing the bug existing in the first place. This should have been something easy to fix or at least something they should have noticed before it went out. I mean how do you miss that?

Don't treat this as me excusing the bug existing in the first place. This should have been something easy to fix or at least something they should have noticed before it went out. I mean how do you miss that?
The answer to this a lot of the time is "It was noticed, reported & put on the backog but for one reason or another could not be fixed"

I'm in QA for not-video-game software and that's how it usually goes, and from what I hear from QA for actual video games it's the same if not worse. Sometimes it's just seen as low priority, sometimes there's just time constraints, sometimes an incredibly simple bug winds up being weirdly complex on other angles, etc

Just how it is

The answer to this a lot of the time is "It was noticed, reported & put on the backog but for one reason or another could not be fixed"

I'm in QA for not-video-game software and that's how it usually goes, and from what I hear from QA for actual video games it's the same if not worse. Sometimes it's just seen as low priority, sometimes there's just time constraints, sometimes an incredibly simple bug winds up being weirdly complex on other angles, etc

Just how it is
This, I can confirm that during software development, *expecially* when you're in a "must have a early version asap" state, often you just pile stuff that "must be fixed but doesn't break the software" in backlog to fix at later date, and focus on actually making the software work in first place.

We're guilty of that as well, as much as I hate seeing the backlog of bug reports myself.

Considering they likely had to rush out the phisical copies in order for them to be shipped worldwide in time, also featuring Covid shenenigans, I am not *too* surprised the phisical copy has a lot of random imprecisions that still don't actually break it.

I didn't think I'd want the patch to Shiny Lock anything, but...
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qr7kki
There's not many people here saying this stuff is okay because the Day 1 Patch fixes it, but for those who say that and are reading this, there will be people that get the physical game and don't or can't update it and this is what they'll get. They're selling a game with this... I'm torn between, "This game has nice trainers but is seriously flawed." and, "Quick, get a 1.0 Version Cartridge if you want this game!"
"Oh, hey, cool, they got a Shiny Starly, that- oh. Oh. Ohhhhh. Oh, no. Oh, no, no."

I will be moderately disappointed (but not completely) if they didn't at very least fix the illegal moveset issues (or at least, don't do a day 1 patch to fix it)
Well we already know there's going to be another patch after this one so second time's the charm!

honestly i know we both jsut got off with talking about QA and how it usually works with this stuff but it is very funny to imagine them seeing the leaks and just oging "okay so that's still there...that's still there...shti they found that one move the time tables up jim-san"

Actually in general, while it's almost certainl coincidental (they needed to have most of this stuff like tweets and trailers and website updates, etc ready for a while) it is very funny how the first patch is out like, 2 days after the game has leaked in full

Actually in general, while it's almost certainl coincidental (they needed to have most of this stuff like tweets and trailers and website updates, etc ready for a while) it is very funny how the first patch is out like, 2 days after the game has leaked in full.
I am not 100% sure of this opinion, but I think the fact the leak got out might got them to get that out early and do a second day 1 patch, rather than bunch everything toghether in the first one.
Having part of the internet know that the game is in a bad state doesnt help non-preorder day1 sales.

Also there's I guess the fact reviewers will get their reviews out in the next days...

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
whoops.png

Speaking of illegal movesets, a Politoed in the Battle Tower has Eject Button, which doesn't have a sprite so probably isn't obtainable in these games. Unlike deleted moves though, deleted items might actually still be functional so don't get surprised by this cheater!

View attachment 384448
Speaking of illegal movesets, a Politoed in the Battle Tower has Eject Button, which doesn't have a sprite so probably isn't obtainable in these games. Unlike deleted moves though, deleted items might actually still be functional so don't get surprised by this cheater!
Wasnt there a similar case in SwSh, of a trainer having otherwise unobtainable items in the battle tower? :blobthinking:

That's exactly the case. I don't work for QA but, working in a software company, I do witness such things.

People are like "Why don't they fix Heatran not disappearing into the mountain even though it says it does?" without realizing how utterly minor that is. And besides... it's better that it does not disappear, right?

Or when, in Sword and Shield, everyone was almost crying for blood when the "game crashes when there are too many moves in the Relearner list" glitch was discovered... even though it could only happen in two Pokémon (out of almost 500), and you had to give them a crazy amount of TRs. It just never crossed up their minds, as it was a very specific situation. Or it was too specific to be a priority for them.

That's exactly the case. I don't work for QA but, working in a software company, I do witness such things.

People are like "Why don't they fix Heatran not disappearing into the mountain even though it says it does?" without realizing how utterly minor that is. And besides... it's better that it does not disappear, right?

Or when, in Sword and Shield, everyone was almost crying for blood when the "game crashes when there are too many moves in the Relearner list" glitch was discovered... even though it could only happen in two Pokémon (out of almost 500), and you had to give them a crazy amount of TRs. It just never crossed up their minds, as it was a very specific situation. Or it was too specific to be a priority for them.
Similar situations remind me of some complaints I often see in speedrunner environments, where people complain that "how could a company miss that if you do a triple backflip, pause the game, use a item from the menu, then remove the enemy aggro and then click the thing, you go out of bounds?"

Yep that's totally a issue that will happen during playtesting and even if it did is relevant enough to dedicate a full geodata rewriting.

So uhhhhhh...

Remember the Jirachi and Mew that you can get as save game bonuses for SwSh and LGPE?

You can get them as soon as you get to Floaroma. Damn near fell off my chair when I saw it.
View attachment 384454
Yeah the website indicated as much when they didn't have the psot-game specification that shaymin had

Iam very pro this decision because they're given at level 1 i think, which is extremely rare for a legend give away much less a mythic, to be anything lower than like 30 half the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)