Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

I see, interesting. Mind some more questions?

How long has Cherubi been leading your party compared to Vespiquen & Piplup/Prinplup?
How many more battles has it been in & how many times has it been knocked out compared to them?
What's it's level, how many items like potions have you used on it, & how many levels did it increase compared to them?
pikachu i'm gonna level with you I have not been keeping numbers on any of these things so you're just getting "Cherubi might have been in a few more than Vespiquen, but i could not tell you how many more if at all" "Prinplup's been mostly in the middle" and "Like 3 KOs compared to once each".
Potions: Were used? But so were on Vespiquen.

Honestly, Jirachi is the one that's more curious to me. Because the fact I'm getting things like "oh its dozing off" dialog implies it's at way higher on the scale. & when I first got it, obviously I kept leading with it where possible. But after it started getting higher up and as I started doing honey tree nonsense, i kept it in the middle and for a period of time boxed it (& a number of others).
But I cannot recall a single instance before this fight with Barry, even though by all counts any time I've sent it out prior to this (which I did, several times, including the route right before this) I never saw any signs of it.

So at Route 208 in the building right before you enter Canalave City **SPOILER BELOW**
Professor Rowan's assistant upgrades your Pokedex. What exactly does he to to it? What can I do now that I couldn't do before with my Dex?
I'm not there yet but I believe it's Form viewer. So if you have someone like Unown or Cherrim or Shellos you can swap between the forms.

While roaming the underground since I felt like picking up at least a skull fossil I finally found a Hiker willing to sell me things and god damn are these tms expensive.
Shock Wave costs 15 s prism shards (I have none). Rock Smash costs 18 red shards (I have, uh, 5). And it cost 55 s Prism shards for a single L
You can sell stuff but only pedestals.

WHY DO THEY NOT SELL EVOLUTION ITEMS

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just completed my mono Poison run! It was super fun. Here's some screenshots of the sets:

Untitled-3.png

It was super fun. I beat almost every trainer (except the Ramanas route) and didn't end up overleveled at the Cynthia fight.

Cynthia was not super challenging, as Drapion set up +6 Attack and +2 Speed and then OHKOed everything with 100% critical Sniper Night Slash.

The most surprising thing for me so far has been Kricketune being an actual Pokemon. I just had him sitting in the party to evolve for dex stuff, but then he learned Fury Cutter when he evolved. I’ll remind you all, Fury Cutter now goes in a pattern of 40, 80, 160 compared to previous generations.

It’s… crazy lol. Everything between Roark and Gardenia was clicking Fury Cutter. Zubats were even getting OHKOed. I can’t believe they made Kricketune an actual functioning regional bug for part of an in game playthrough.
1637549735801.png

He went all the way home!!

I am so massively disappointed that Rampardos doesn't learn Head Smash on evolution. In fact he only gets it at level 58, with his other Rock stab level up move being Ancient Power??

I'm gonna need some more TMs

On the bright side, with Rampardos and Staraptor, my team is fully evolved and fully finished

I was really torn on what my team would be for this, and was just thinking I'd pick whatever and run like 9 mons(which is how I'm starting). But that glitch to get Shaymin early solved the issue. Infernape, Jirachi, Mew, Shaymin, Manaphy, and something else. Because what other game could I do that in?

Just beat Fantina. I didn't do an update when I beat Wake cause I was tired and also I hated Wake's gym. Nessa's puzzle almost made her my least favorite gym leader, same applies to Wake too.

Anyways Fantina wasn't so bad. Her Gengar was supremely annoying however, since Cursed Body took away Houndoom's Bite. This battle really was all about RNG. It ended when my Torterra activated Quick Claw and hit her Mismagius 5 times with Bullet Seed.

Two things to note: Fantina's Ace was the same level as mine. Her Mismagius was level 36 and so was my Torterra, but keep in mind I don't fight every trainer I see, so it's possible to overlevel I would think. Despite Torterra, Staraptor, and Rampardos bouncing, I also haven't had too many friendship benefits yet. All I can recall is Grotle living on 1 HP that one time and a few crits, but nothing activated during the gym battle.

squad.PNG

Just beat Cynthia on my playthrough. All in all, the difficulty in her fight did NOT disappoint; even with my team being comparably levelled with hers and with affection bonuses popping off every five seconds, it was still a tough time. Milotic in particular definitely gave my team a run for their money - I THOUGHT Wild Charge Electivire would be a good enough answer for it, but then Marvel Scale kicked in and I had to improvise - and not a single one of her mons went down without a fight. (I should mention that I've been playing this game in "Set" mode the whole time seeing as that's the closest it has to a difficulty setting.) I ended up using all of my mons in the end - even Rampardos got to land the finishing blow on her Garchomp, surprisingly. Shoutouts to Spiritomb for being my hard carry throughout the League, dealing with stuff like Gastrodon when no one else could. (A Grass-type is definitely in order on a future playthrough to deal with those bulky Water/Grounds... not like there are many good options in this game bar Roserade.)

This game definitely does have a HGSS problem where the vast majority of the game is an absolute curbstomp up until around Victory Road where the level curve finally gets up to speed and the trainers start carrying good Pokemon. I'm not exaggerating when I say that from Gardenia onward till around the Elite 4, my team was consistently ~10-20 levels ahead of every trainer's Pokemon. (In the most egregious of cases, the route trainers' Pokemon were around half the level of my LOWEST levelled party member, and I wasn't even going out of my way to grind!) It actually got to a point where I was genuinely surprised whenever a trainer Pokemon WOULDN'T get one-shotted. It's kind of depressing. I do partially blame EXP Share for this, since it seems a lot of the trainers didn't have their levels compensated for its addition. It's not as bad as in HGSS where the level jump is just completely unfair and you will NEED to grind even if you've been battling every single trainer, but still, I wish the level curve in these games could've been managed a little better. I'm not playing Pokemon for a tough time or anything, but stuff like the mandatory EXP Share and the borderline unavoidable affection bonuses have me yearning for something more.

But yeah, I really liked these remakes. I haven't experienced any of the postgame stuff yet, but I'm 44 hours in and I'm loving pretty much all of what I've played of it so far, wonky difficulty curve and forced easy-mode features notwithstanding. The game looks stellar, the remixes are all great, the expanded teambuilding options via the Underground are nice (even if I wish they did a bit more in that regard - I miss Rotom and Porygon-Z), playing through Sinnoh with no HMs is a dream come true, it's pretty much everything I wanted out of a Gen 4 remake. Solid 9/10 IMO, definitely in contention for being the best 3D Pokemon game. I look forward to tackling those Gym Leader and E4 rematches if they're anywhere near as tough as Cynthia was!

(Oh, and whoever said Mamoswine gets Earthquake at level 30 in this game is a BITCH-ass liar. It gets it at level 51 just like in SwSh.)

Last edited:
Very miffed to learn that sheen is back, of all mechanics. Maxing out contests stats was so awesomely easy in ORAS. This feels like such a huge downgrade. Now I have to learn all the dumb contest stat maxing stuff from Gen 4 so I can spoil my Pokémon with ribbons!

Is it just me or are Pokémon harder to catch in this game? I spent 30 balls on an Absol and 20 more on some random Chingling. I gave up on catching the Chingling, but Absol was totally worth the trouble. Its Knock Off knocks out most things that don't resist it.

The Great Marsh can suck a fat one. Nothing I tried has worked when it comes to catching a single fucking Pokémon.

Throw Balls? Flees.
Throw Mud? Flees.
Throw Bait? Fucking flees.

No wonder Gen 4 was the last to include a Safari Game like this. It's been so long, I'd forgotten how much I hated this mechanic.
I had also forgotten how frustrating this mechanic was. Probably my brain tried to keep me sane and blocked all those memories, but I am starting to have flashbacks of Chansey. I spent like an hour trying to catch a Carnivine for my team and they all kept fleeing.

Very miffed to learn that sheen is back, of all mechanics. Maxing out contests stats was so awesomely easy in ORAS. This feels like such a huge downgrade. Now I have to learn all the dumb contest stat maxing stuff from Gen 4 so I can spoil my Pokémon with ribbons!
I was also worrdied about this, but according to this Reddit poster you may be able to win ribbons just by putting the right stickers in the ball capsule. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping it works!

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I am very dissapointed that, as far as I can tell, Tangela is natdex in this game. Team so far is Houndoom, Prinplup, Jirachi, and Staravia, notice the shared weakness? I distinctly remember being able to get it in the marsh in gen 4 but it looks like it got removed from the pool of mons in this game. In general this game actually kinda seems to lack ground resists outside of full immunities, makes me want to get a pinsir.
WHY???

WHY, ILCA, GAMEFREAK, WHOEVER MADE THIS GAME???

YOU WERE SO CLOSE! ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS PUT IN THE ENTIRE PLATINUM DEX, NOT TRIP UP ON THE FINISH LINE!!

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME !?

I completed SP last night and I must say, the EXP Share isn't the problem IMO, it's the Affection system. I was never more than 2-3 levels over Gym Leaders. The only ones I out-leveled were Wake(Because he and Maylene are the same level), Candice and Volkner. I never used the following feature and focused on using Herbs as healing items not only to keep Affection in check, but also because they're cheaper. The Affection started taking over though while I was going through Victory Road, despite using Herbs all game. I felt dirty beating Aaron because my Rapidash survived on 1HP with affection and OHKOed his Drapion with a crit High Horsepower.

My team once I beat Cynthia(Which took 3 tries) was.

Empoleon@ lvl62
Mismagius@ lvl63
Rapidash@ lvl62
Roserade@ lvl63
Mamoswine@ lvl62(I got lucky and got a Swinub that already knew Ancient Power, saving me a Heart Scale)
Gardevoir@ lvl62

Is it just me or are Pokémon harder to catch in this game? I spent 30 balls on an Absol and 20 more on some random Chingling. I gave up on catching the Chingling, but Absol was totally worth the trouble. Its Knock Off knocks out most things that don't resist it.
The underground appears to have the SWSH catch penalty when you try to catch someone at a higher level than you currently are.

People think Tangela is bad, but I was disheartened to know that you cant even find Nosepass until natdex...as a swarm pokemon, and no other ways.

That being said, im doing a psuedo nuzlocke; nlregular nuzlocke rules with exceptions concerning the grand underground, as its impossible to have random encounters there. 2 deaths so far, my luxio and zubat...lost both in the grand underground while grinding up QwQ. On my way to maylene now.

Team:
Carrie, Grotle lv 30
Danny, Misdreavus lv 25
Darius, Kirlia lv 24
Flynn, Staravia lv 29
Aoi, buizel lv 25
Lala, lickitung lv 26

The egg move situation for some Pokemon in this game is so funny. Icicle Spear is an egg move for Swinub & Seel.
The only pokemon that learns it by level up are Alolan Sandshrew/sandslash
They aren't in the game

Ergo the only way to get the move is by underground spawns, since they can have the egg move.

Anyway this post brought to you by the "going in & out rolling swinubs for icicle crash or icicle spear" gang

The egg move situation for some Pokemon in this game is so funny. Icicle Spear is an egg move for Swinub & Seel.
They aren't in the game

Ergo the only way to get the move is by underground spawns, since they can have the egg move.

Anyway this post brought to you by the "going in & out rolling swinubs for icicle crash or icicle spear" gang
Mood. I literally did this for 2-3 hours before even fighting Gardenia just so I could have a Swinub with a physical Ice-type move stronger than Ice Fang. It was certainly worth the investment, but god DAMN, was it a timesink!

Mood. I literally did this for 2-3 hours before even fighting Gardenia just so I could have a Swinub with a physical Ice-type move stronger than Ice Fang. It was certainly worth the investment, but god DAMN, was it a time-waster!
The really annoying thing is that, of course, there's no way to check this immediately so I'm just sitting here making the hurry up motion so i can see what moves it has.

Shoutout to the second swinub I did this on that took 10 turns and never used the move so I just caught it and it was the same egg move (Double Edge) as the one I caught first.

They aren't in the game

I may have missed this but what's the percent chance of mons spawning with specific egg moves? Or in this case, specifically Swinub with Icicle Crash or Spear?

OK I'm noticing something weird. At this point I'm just catching the things, so its easy to check

2 double edges in a row
3 freeze drys in a row (two i caught, i defeated the other one)
3 mud shots in a row

I might have killed a third double edger...

I may have missed this but what's the percent chance of mons spawning with specific egg moves? Or in this case, specifically Swinub with Icicle Crash or Spear?
There's 11 moves, so assuming it's just given equal opportunity it's like 18% for getting either one, 9% of getting a specific one

e: Ok Mud Shot #4 so at the very least if the RNG is broken its not in a 3 in a row way

does anyone remember if any Pokemon in the DP Sinnoh dex were exclusively owned by Joggers of Officers? Just wondering if I need to play in the morning or at night to see some Pokemon, because if so I might just try to catch them myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)