Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

i have literally not seen a single egg move that is not one of these 3 and while that's not impossible it feels really improbable the more times i run into freeze dry/mudshot/double edge and not *litearlly anything else*. I'm in the bog room you can find on the left side of the map in the wide central area.

the "pattern recognition where there is none" part of my brain going berserk here

1637611859120.png

Something I noticed while I was leveling 35 Pokémon to at least level 30 (Togekiss is at 32 because of a late evolution, and Pachirisu is at 36 because I forgot to knock it out for it to Pickup Shiny Stones without getting experience) is that, in the "Strength" stage of the Grand Underground, the wild Chingling are effectively defenseless.

They have Yawn, Last Resort, Entrainment and an Egg Move. Of the Egg Moves, the only one that deals damage is Stored Power... which will have 20 BP because it does not know any boosting move, and it needs at least four turns to use Last Resort without it failing.

Also, Pachirisu got four Dawn Stones in the Pickup process. Is the game asking me to use Gallade and Froslass?

BTW, the Box List now gives you a "preview" of sorts in each box (by showing you squares with each Pokémon's color) instead of just telling you if it has Pokémon in it. That's nice.

Last edited:
Finally found an Icicle Spear swinub, praise be.

Now I have so many swinub....

If I could get to the move deleter a little early I can just use this Oblivious DOuble Edge swinub with nice stats isntead of the still-okay Snow Cloak icicle spear swinub, then do move deleter/nursery shenanigans to give it Icicle Spear, instead of the other way around.
But alas, no, that's not how things work. & i'd rather have the stronger stab option than the strong normal move (rip to oblvious though....)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
BTW, the Box List now gives you a "preview" of sorts in each box (by showing you squares with each Pokémon's color) instead of just telling you if it has Pokémon in it. That's nice.
That sounds like the Box preview they had in Gen 4. Now that I think about it, why isn't there any preview in SwSh? Why'd they take away box backgrounds from SwSh too?

(Oh, and whoever said Mamoswine gets Earthquake at level 30 in this game is a BITCH-ass liar. It gets it at level 51 just like in SwSh.)
That was me sharing a mistake. Sorry. :(

In veilstone, doing a bunch of moveset updates
Poor Cherrim really gets the short end. Just no physical coverage at all because Play Rough is neither an Egg Move nor a TM. At least it has Dazzling Gleam for use without sun.

and of course a big lol for weather ball, the egg move it only gets with underground nonsense. I mean it's not a physical move either but still, big lol there.
That sounds like the Box preview they had in Gen 4. Now that I think about it, why isn't there any preview in SwSh? Why'd they take away box backgrounds from SwSh too?

That was me sharing a mistake. Sorry. :(
SWSH did have box backgrounds, it was just different patterns to go with its minimalistic vibes. I used them to help mark living pokedex completion

I feel so bad for Bryon. If my Ace Pokemon was Bastiodon, I'd just fight Challengers myself with my own hands. Probably would do more damage than Bastiodon ever could.

But yeah another gym down. Bryon was a piece of cake except for Steelix pulling off shenanigans with Sturdy + Potions. I was overleveled this time by a little, but only by 1 level with Torterra.

Pokemon Aime stuff is really kicking in now, but again, I don't think any happened during the actual gym battle. It could be because none of his Pokemon really had an opportunity to do much damage, but when they did get the opportunity to attack (Steelix's Earthquake and Bastiodon's Flash Cannon) none of my Pokemon actually dodged them, so make of that what you will.

Torterra is, unsurprisingly, becoming my favorite Mon of the run. He puts in the work even without AIme stuff going on, and just does a lot of damage. Curse, Leech Seed, Bullet Seed, and Earthquake is a surprisingly good set for a playthrough.Staraptor is close behind, since it takes no survivors. I also really like Floatzel just because he often does more damage than I expect him to, although I really need a physical water move besides Aqua Jet.

By the way, I've got to say that a Marill caught in the Great Marsh gets a shockingly good initial moveset for what is a freshly-caught wild Pokémon that is not under some "bonus" like the Grand Underground, having two powerful STABs in Aqua Tail and Play Rough... on a Level 21 Pokémon.

With a tint of shame I've got to say it was that same Marill (as a Level 23 Azumarill) was what ended up pulling the team against Crasher Wake instead of the Level 30s, when two of them were immune to Water.

It even comes with Bounce to deal with Grass-types! Like, until you get Waterfall, or buying a Bulldoze TM to replace Slam, you can basically keep the vanilla moveset without regrets.

Nice ideas your team has, Maylene

Too bad you're extremely frail and not very fast.

Cherrim (Level 31) one hits meditite and outspeeds it
2 hits Machoke because its bulky
Ponyta outspeeds (level 30, so at least my weird ass running around randomly paid out there) and gets a clean 2 hits on Lucario, which will be guaranteed because she uses a turn on Bulk Up. And honestly who knows, maybe Flamethrower would've one hit ko'd.

I think a lot about how this plan would have been much worse off if my pokemon were approximately 2-5 levels lower...well except the meditite. Meditite just doesnt have the bulk or speed for the screens strat...Machoke would honestly be a perfect lead but it doesnt get screens!
But aside from them 2 hits turn into 3 hits, I likely wouldn't outspeed and then i have to deal with a much stronger lucario. I'd probably still win (6 pokemon, items, had a Jirachi I wasn't using for this fight you know how it goes), but really for me its less "climb a mountain" and more "a fun sprint up a hill", you know? Ah well...

I feel so bad for Bryon. If my Ace Pokemon was Bastiodon, I'd just fight Challengers myself with my own hands. Probably would do more damage than Bastiodon ever could.
Sturdy Metal Burst Bastiodon might be the best counter to Cynthia's Garchomp, but go off. :psysly:

Bastiodon is one of those mons that I've always wanted to use but didn't for some reason. Maybe I'll do it next run. Always liked its design.

Ah, Jirachi was the first one to get to the happiness rating for Crits to happen. I'm on m yway back to hearthome now.

I guess I may as well unlock following Pokemon ,not like it matters at this point.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Now I have so many swinub....
Well only one thing to do with all them.

I feel so bad for Bryon. If my Ace Pokemon was Bastiodon, I'd just fight Challengers myself with my own hands.
You know he'd love to do it.

unfortunately i need it now to finish the pokedex, i don't want to wait until friday :(
At this point, it's probably just better to wait until Friday. I think for the clocks you need to set it before 24 hours, so you'd need to wait 2 days to get it asap. Might just be better to set your clock on your phone to remind you Friday at a time you're free to catch Drifloon, and until then just take a break. Patience is a virtue... an annoying one, but one you must balance with.

I think a lot about how this plan would have been much worse off if my pokemon were approximately 2-5 levels lower...well except the meditite. Meditite just doesnt have the bulk or speed for the screens strat...
Or if it actually bothers to do screens. In my battle, after revealing the Light Clay via Knock Off from my Skorupi, it kept using Drain Punch...

After backtracking to Pastoria and chasing the grunt because oops forgot you had to manually do that event in DP, and going back through the lakefront, it's cute how the 2 Directors finally got unique models

Usually, they use generic models

I wanted to use Electivire instead of Luxray, but Elekid spawns so rarely and then there's only a 5% chance to get one with an Electrizer...

At least I got an Ice Punch Elekid, Cynthia's Garchomp won't know what hit him (it'll be Ice Punch from Electabuzz in case that wasn't clear)

I wanted to use Electivire instead of Luxray, but Elekid spawns so rarely and then there's only a 5% chance to get one with an Electrizer...

At least I got an Ice Punch Elekid, Cynthia's Garchomp won't know what hit him (it'll be Ice Punch from Electabuzz in case that wasn't clear)
I wonder if eventually, there'll be a forum or something set up for people to get the more obscure items and Pokemon? Like Drifblim and Electrizers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)