Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
quick question about tournaments. in cases in which a tournament has subs, is it convenient to claim the act before the week ends in order to schedule or does the player get to battle said sub in the. next week?
Subs should happen quite a while before the round deadline is. For example in a week-long round I would expect subs to happen on Wednesday/Thursday at the latest. That is to let the subbed in player play within the same week round as anyone else. That's generally how this works.

I have two unrelated questions:

What does the "np:" at the start of suspect test threads mean?

What's the "Preact rewrite" I keep seeing mentions of?
The Preact rewrite is a rewriting (new writing?) of Showdown's code being run by Zarel. I imagine you see this most often in the Suggestions subforum, since a lot of the requested features will be available with the new client (Preact) and aren't with the current one, or something to that effect.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I have a couple of questions regarding the tiering contributor badge, the second of which probably doesn't have a clear answer:

1. If you get the tc badge but not alumnus and don't vote for a while, do you completely lose your badge or does it turn gray?
2. I've always wanted to get the tc badge but I haven't had much time to play at all recently (getting older is hard) so I'm not sure what the best way to achieve that would be. I've only voted in one suspect test (Urshifu in OU) and I don't anticipate that there will be enough suspects remaining in SS OU for when I am (hopefully) able to play more in the future, so would it probably be better to wait until a new gen comes out and try to get 4/6 suspect votes in a tier then, or when I can play more should I try to get reqs in any tier that is having a suspect? I know that's a subjective question but I found getting reqs pretty stressful when I did get it (I just would like to get that badge at some point though lol), so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what they found to be the "easiest" or most efficient way to getting that badge.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I have a couple of questions regarding the tiering contributor badge, the second of which may not really have a clear answer:

1. If you get the tc badge but not alumnus and don't vote for a while, do you completely lose your badge or does it turn gray?
2. I've always wanted to get the tc badge but I haven't had much time to play at all (getting older is hard) so I'm not sure what the best way to achieve that would be. I've only voted in one suspect test (Urshifu in OU) and I don't anticipate that there will be enough suspects remaining in SS OU for when I am (hopefully) able to play more in the future, so would it probably be better to wait until a new gen comes out and try to get 4/6 suspect votes in a tier then, or when I can play more should I try to get reqs in any tier that is having a suspect? I know that's a subjective question but I found getting reqs pretty stressful when I did get it (I just would like to get that badge at some point though lol), so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what they found to be the "easiest" way to getting that badge.
For question one, yes if you don't get the requirements for TC alumnus and stop doing suspect tests for a while, you will completely lose the badge (alumnus means grey badge basically).

For question two, you will most probably be able to ask for the TC with suspect tests from different gens (so for instance by doing some when gen9 comes out while having already done some in gen8). Now, some tiers have easier suspect tests than others and sometimes getting the TC with 10 suspects across all tiers is easier, especially when we are late in the generation and some tiers don't have a lot of suspects going on anymore (like SS OU).

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
For question one, yes if you don't get the requirements for TC alumnus and stop doing suspect tests for a while, you will completely lose the badge (alumnus means grey badge basically).

For question two, you will most probably be able to ask for the TC with suspect tests from different gens (so for instance by doing some when gen9 comes out while having already done some in gen8). Now, some tiers have easier suspect tests than others and sometimes getting the TC with 10 suspects across all tiers is easier, especially when we are late in the generation and some tiers don't have a lot of suspects going on anymore (like SS OU).
Alright, thank you! I was kind of hoping you and your 37 suspect tests worth of experience would respond lol. Based on what you said, I think it would probably make the most sense for me to look and see what suspect tests are going on when I do have time to play and just go for whatever, instead of focusing on a specific tier. Getting reqs 10/16 times does sound intimidating though and I'm not sure how well I would do in tiers I don't know much about, but I guess that it can't hurt just trying to get reqs. Going for a cumulative total of votes is probably "safer" anyway since there isn't a time restraint with a gen ending or a certain tier not having enough tests, provided that votes across generations count. Out of curiosity, what tiers have you found to have easier suspect tests?

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Alright, thank you! I was kind of hoping you and your 37 suspect tests worth of experience would respond lol. Based on what you said, I think it would probably make the most sense for me to look and see what suspect tests are going on when I do have time to play and just go for whatever, instead of focusing on a specific tier. Getting reqs 10/16 times does sound intimidating though and I'm not sure how well I would do in tiers I don't know much about, but I guess that it can't hurt just trying to get reqs. Going for a cumulative total of votes is probably "safer" anyway since there isn't a time restraint with a gen ending or a certain tier not having enough tests, provided that votes across generations count. Out of curiosity, what tiers have you found to have easier suspect tests?
Ubers because the ladder is super bad and some OMs because the reqs are pretty low (both in term of number of games and min GXE). Now, it also depends on what your main tier is. For instance I find OU suspect tests easier than in other tiers just because I know the tier well and I'm more used to play in this tier. It's also more interesting to contribute to the tiering process of a tier you really care about.

Hello Well, I have a problem here. I went to look for teams for the pokemon Showdown server because I'm new and I really want to know how to "Like" "wow" "hahah" because I don't know how to do it.
If you're looking for teams to use, you can find sample teams to help you get started by navigating to the tier you want to play from the main forums page under "competitive play", and then looking for the thread containing that tier's samples. As for reacting to others' messages, there should be a "like" button at the bottom right of posts, hovering over it will allow you to choose between the different reactions. If its not there, it's likely because your account was just made, and should be available to you soon

MG Master Piece

Banned deucer.
If you're looking for teams to use, you can find sample teams to help you get started by navigating to the tier you want to play from the main forums page under "competitive play", and then looking for the thread containing that tier's samples. As for reacting to others' messages, there should be a "like" button at the bottom right of posts, hovering over it will allow you to choose between the different reactions. If its not there, it's likely because your account was just made, and should be available to you soon
Thanks, Done >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 20)