(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Kinda annoyed that despite Torchic, Treecko, and Groudon having their concept art shown, Mudkip strangely doesn't. And I have as strong feeling Sugimori designed it, so even more peculiar it wasn't shown
What makes you suspect Sugimori designed Mudkip? Is it related to the background color thing? You've brought it up a few times but I've never understood it.

What makes you suspect Sugimori designed Mudkip? Is it related to the background color thing? You've brought it up a few times but I've never understood it.
So a 16 bit sprite can only use 15 colors + 1 for transparency
Gen 3 certain sprite artists had a set goto transparency color. Sugi's mostly was forest green
Mudkip line notably used the same color, along with other Sugimori confirmed mons (Groudon, Torchic, Latis..., etc)

I'm honestly curious if Sugimori lost his concept sketches, or if Mudkip line didn't go through design revisions. The Gen 3 leak for pokedex notably doesn't note anything different for Mudkip, unlike Torchic and Grovyle lines, which makes it seem like it was done later

Leak info: https://tcrf.net/Development:Pokémon_Ruby_and_Sapphire/Pokémon_Data

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the Gen 5 games...

"Okay, I need to grind, now to move around this grass for some shaking grass to beat up some Audinos for EXP"

*Finds a shaking grass spot*

"Great, now time to KO an Audino"

*Enters the shaking grass, strong wild battle theme plays*

*An Emolga appears instead of Audino*

Game: A wild Emolga appeared

"Goddammit"

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
In the Gen 5 games...

"Okay, I need to grind, now to move around this grass for some shaking grass to beat up some Audinos for EXP"

*Finds a shaking grass spot*

"Great, now time to KO an Audino"

*Enters the shaking grass, strong wild battle theme plays*

*An Emolga appears instead of Audino*

Game: A wild Emolga appeared

"Goddammit"
*Tries to run away*

"The wild Emolga used Pursuit!"

This got me noticing that while Tucker and Dahlia are similar as characters, their facilities are opposites. Tucker's Dome emphasizes direct competition with a tournament structure, a detailed preview including move and EV preferences, and a method of evaluating ties (all other Emerald facilities treat a double KO as a loss for the player). Meanwhile, Dahlia's Arcade is defined by throwing ever-changing conditions on one side or the other, with a major teambuilding aspect in held items only available if the Wheel decides to do so.

They're also at opposite corners of their respective Frontier's maps, but that's less important.

combat.

But what really irks me about them being treated as counterparts is the way their stats and movepools are built. If they're version exclusives/counterparts found in opposite games or opposite areas, surely each one has different advantages over the other that make players of each version get a different experience with a different type of physical Bug, correct? But no! What ends up happening, and the biggest thing that irks me about these two, is that Pinsir is literally a completely inferior Heracross. Their performance is completely identical, right down to the two of them having the same 125 Attack and 85 Speed, and both have Moxie as a Hidden Ability as well as Swords Dance, but Heracross is completely superior to Pinsir in every aspect. Both get Close Combat, but Heracross gets STAB, and Heracross has STAB Megahorn as opposed to Pinsir, whose best STAB is X-Scissor at 80 Power. Heracross's STAB Close Combat and Megahorn hit at an effective 180 BP, while Pinsir's unSTABbed Close Combat and STAB X-Scissor hit at an effective 120 BP. Their coverage moves are almost completely identical as well.
Not as bad as UM players though. At least Pinsir is pretty good Pokémon. In USM, US players got Heatran, one of the Kings, and UM players got…. Regigias… Wow, they really hate us UM players. Like why though? Heatran and Regigias are even related like in any conceivable way. It would have made more sense for Regigias to be catchable only if you had the Regis while in Ultra Space. Cresselia would have made more sense since 1. It has the same BST and Heatran, and 2. It’s the Lunar Pokémon, as in part of the Moon. I have a theory that they were just mad that Lunala was better than Solgaleo so they wanted spite against Moon players since they clearly loved Solgaleo over Lunala.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not as bad as UM players though. At least Pinsir is pretty good Pokémon. In USM, US players got Heatran, one of the Kings, and UM players got…. Regigias… Wow, they really hate us UM players. Like why though? Heatran and Regigias are even related like in any conceivable way. It would have made more sense for Regigias to be catchable only if you had the Regis while in Ultra Space. Cresselia would have made more sense since 1. It has the same BST and Heatran, and 2. It’s the Lunar Pokémon, as in part of the Moon. I have a theory that they were just mad that Lunala was better than Solgaleo so they wanted spite against Moon players since they clearly Solgaleo over Lunala.
The only commonality between Regigigas and Heatran is that they are both minor post-game legendaries in Gen 4 and are two of the three who are largely standalone with no counterparts (though Regigigas is technically the master of the Regi group, and Cresselia has a mythical counterpart in Darkrai). You're right that Cresselia and Heatran would've made more sense to make counterparts as version exclusives in USUM, but I suppose their rationale in certain version exclusive pairings don't always make sense. Heatran/Regigigas is definitely the most arbitrary and weak VE pairing in USUM's legendaries, since everything else is based on deliberate pairs of counterparts (Ho-oh/Lugia, Groudon/Kyogre, Dialga/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom, Tornadus/Thundurus). Why it ended up like that in particular is beyond me, especially since no other game has ever made Regigigas and Heatran version exclusive like that.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
There's a theory that Heatran was the inciting incident of the continent towing myth. Volcano threatens Sinnoh, Regigigas moves Sinnoh and/or the volcano out of the way.
I like that, ties the legendaries of Sinnoh together more neatly than "these all occupy the same region because we thought of them at the same time". For similar reasons I'm quite attached to the theory that Calyrex fought against Eternatus at one point.

I like that, ties the legendaries of Sinnoh together more neatly than "these all occupy the same region because we thought of them at the same time". For similar reasons I'm quite attached to the theory that Calyrex fought against Eternatus at one point.
It seems very heavily implied, with Calyrex having a unique glow when it Dynamaxes (meaning it doesn't use Eternatus's lingering energy), and lore stating that Calyrex showed fear of outstretched, open hands (referencing Eternatus's Eternamax form)

It seems very heavily implied, with Calyrex having a unique glow when it Dynamaxes (meaning it doesn't use Eternatus's lingering energy), and lore stating that Calyrex showed fear of outstretched, open hands (referencing Eternatus's Eternamax form)
The dex also has this little number
Legend says that by using its power to see all events from past to future, this Pokémon saved the creatures of a forest from a meteorite strike
I remember there was other lore scattered about the Tundra, though, and I'm not sure the timeline necessarily lines up. But it's been a long time, I might be confusing some things.

There is a lot to hate about 4kids as an anime translator, but one of the most annoying things that sticks to my mind that they did for their run of Pokemon was related to the soundtrack. The Johto part of the original series actually had an entirely new soundtrack with GSC remixes in the Japanese version. The dub, however, removed all but one instance of those songs(the only exception being a single scene in like the first episode that took place in Johto) and replaced it with the soundtrack used in Kanto.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
There is a lot to hate about 4kids as an anime translator, but one of the most annoying things that sticks to my mind that they did for their run of Pokemon was related to the soundtrack. The Johto part of the original series actually had an entirely new soundtrack with GSC remixes in the Japanese version. The dub, however, removed all but one instance of those songs(the only exception being a single scene in like the first episode that took place in Johto) and replaced it with the soundtrack used in Kanto.
4Kids took the “sequel of Kanto” thing too literally.

Regardless of how you think of Johto, I feel like GF not making a region that is a direct sequel to an older one since Johto would be for the best; the theming works, but not something newcomers would really appreciates as they really don’t want the new ’mons overshadowed severely by older ones.

That's not their fault
4Kids like many other dubbers had to deal with music rights cuz TV Tokyo are aggravatingly archaic. It was too expensive to maintain, especially when dubbing multiple anime, so they either
-reuse music they already have rights to (Gen 1)
-make new music
to remedy financial losses from music or other licensing rights, their own custom music is spammed incidentally

Movies being one off typically means they can use the OG movie ost vs a serialized TV series, though even that took till movie 4 to get rights

That's not their fault
4Kids like many other dubbers had to deal with music rights cuz TV Tokyo are aggravatingly archaic. It was too expensive to maintain, especially when dubbing multiple anime, so they either
-reuse music they already have rights to (Gen 1)
-make new music
to remedy financial losses from music or other licensing rights, their own custom music is spammed incidentally

Movies being one off typically means they can use the OG movie ost vs a serialized TV series, though even that took till movie 4 to get rights
I mean, they used the Gen III music just fine for the part of that gen they still had the dubbing rights for, not to mention by the time Johto came around they were at their peak financially.

While licensing is no doubt a big pain 4Kids kind of bragged about their own soundtrack and definitely thought they were probably improving the material

I mean, they used the Gen III music just fine for the part of that gen they still had the dubbing rights for, not to mention by the time Johto came around they were at their peak financially.
No, a lot of Gen 3 music was missing
it's especially noticeable for Pokedex theme, and the Team Rocket theme was still Kanto's instead of post Hoenn's

The company's definitely corrupt, but a lot of stuff was cuz mandates and licensing. And a lot of bad rumors online from fans never really were denied, so they festered into pure hatred and "fact" when it wasn't

For God's sake, 4Kids never dubbed Escaflowne, yet people use that as an example

While licensing is no doubt a big pain 4Kids kind of bragged about their own soundtrack and definitely thought they were probably improving the material
And yet they used Japan's OST for movies after the 4th one after fan complaints for the first 3, and collabed with Funimation for the uncut Yugioh dub for fan demand (which ironically stopped cuz TV Tokyo and Konami didn't know how much was made from that). The Yugioh Movies are also generally uncensored unlike the show due to less limitations
Eric Stuart and other VAs were pretty sad to no longer dub Pokemon back in 2005, and that's ignoring a good chunk of VAs also helped in script. Hell, the fact 4Kids had a trans/intersex VA back in the late 90s was unheard of in dubbing

There's a lot of wrong, and foreign mandates for the FCC are beyond archaic. And the upper execs definitely had issues
Yet I can't be entirely mad at them, DiC, or Nelvana for how dubs happened in the 90s-2000s

No, a lot of Gen 3 music was missing
it's especially noticeable for Pokedex theme, and the Team Rocket theme was still Kanto's instead of post Hoenn's

The company's definitely corrupt, but a lot of stuff was cuz mandates and licensing. And a lot of bad rumors online from fans never really were denied, so they festered into pure hatred and "fact" when it wasn't

For God's sake, 4Kids never dubbed Escaflowne, yet people use that as an example

And yet they used Japan's OST for movies after the 4th one after fan complaints for the first 3, and collabed with Funimation for the uncut Yugioh dub for fan demand (which ironically stopped cuz TV Tokyo and Konami didn't know how much was made from that). The Yugioh Movies are also generally uncensored unlike the show due to less limitations
Eric Stuart and other VAs were pretty sad to no longer dub Pokemon back in 2005, and that's ignoring a good chunk of VAs also helped in script. Hell, the fact 4Kids had a trans/intersex VA back in the late 90s was unheard of in dubbing

There's a lot of wrong, and foreign mandates for the FCC are beyond archaic. And the upper execs definitely had issues
Yet I can't be entirely mad at them, DiC, or Nelvana for how dubs happened in the 90s-2000s
4Kids wasn't incapable of doing better things, and generall I agree their changes werent ALL bad and some people have bit of stick up their ass about some things, but for a large chunk of time it was like spinning a roullette.

not that necessarily changed after TPCi took over, I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 6)