(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
  1. Bellsprout was actually going to originally, just like Pinsir's it was cut; it would likely have related to Sprout Tower which just feels random to be based on Bellsprout.
  2. All of them have different roles. Arcanine is offensive (and Physical focused), Ninetales is defensive (and Special focused); Skuntank has more HP and hits harder, Purugly is faster; Primeape hits harder, Persian is faster. In this way they don't overshadow one another like Heracross does with Pinsir.
Arcanine is demonstrably way better, though. It's not like Oddish and Bellsprout where their final evolutions have equal BSTs. Arcanine has a BST 50 points ahead of Ninetales'. I definitely felt like I missed out by choosing LeafGreen (not least because Vulpix is in Hoenn).

And yet somehow, Magmortar comes out on top. It's consistently been a strong Pokemon in lower tiers thanks to its great power and coverage (it's not quite as expansive as Electivire, but it's one of the few Fire-types that learns Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast hits Rock-types hard), whereas Electivire consistently sucks shit, and its shiny new ability famously cursed it to rot in OU in its debut generation because people kept pairing it with Gyarados despite that being a terrible strategy.
I'm not saying "Motor Drive is a new ability in Gen IV, therefore it is automatically good" I'm just pointing out the disparity in Electivire getting a brand-new and conceptually somewhat-interesting ability while Magmortar is stuck with Flame Body which is fine but not that useful to it. I mean hell, Magmortar would definitely have benefited from a Motor Drive equivalent.

This doubles as a little thing I like, as its a cool pattern right until the end when something bungles it up.

So the Eeveelutions all come in sets, and within each set, their abilities follow different themes.

:vaporeon::jolteon::flareon:
The primary abilities of the Kanto trio all grant them an immunity to their respective types, and their hidden abilities all pertain to status effects in some way.

:leafeon::glaceon:
Both the primary and hidden abilities of the Sinnoh duo are weather-based abilities.

:sylveon:
Sylveon's off doing its own thing, it doesn't have any counterparts.

:espeon::umbreon:
And then we get to the Johto duo. Their primary abilities are the exact same ability (kinda boring) and their hidden abilities have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I can excuse the identical primary abilities since it was Gen 3 and there weren't really that many abilities to choose from and they were still figuring things out, but come Gen 5, why did the devs give the Kanto and Sinnoh groups coherent themes for their hidden abilities, but then just not bother with the Johto duo?

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
This doubles as a little thing I like, as its a cool pattern right until the end when something bungles it up.

So the Eeveelutions all come in sets, and within each set, their abilities follow different themes.

:vaporeon::jolteon::flareon:
The primary abilities of the Kanto trio all grant them an immunity to their respective types, and their hidden abilities all pertain to status effects in some way.

:leafeon::glaceon:
Both the primary and hidden abilities of the Sinnoh duo are weather-based abilities.

:sylveon:
Sylveon's off doing its own thing, it doesn't have any counterparts.

:espeon::umbreon:
And then we get to the Johto duo. Their primary abilities are the exact same ability (kinda boring) and their hidden abilities have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I can excuse the identical primary abilities since it was Gen 3 and there weren't really that many abilities to choose from and they were still figuring things out, but come Gen 5, why did the devs give the Kanto and Sinnoh groups coherent themes for their hidden abilities, but then just not bother with the Johto duo?
The only connection I see between Inner Focus and Magic Bounce is that a some Pokémon who get Synchronize as an ability also get either Inner Focus or Magic Bounce (well, Indeedee, Alakazam fam, Natu, and Xatu anyway). I’ve always thought it would’ve been nice if Umbreon had gotten Magic Guard to go with Espeon’s Magic Bounce. Magic Guard Umbreon does sound kind of ridiculous though lol.

That being said I do think Synchronize makes sense for both Espeon and Umbreon as it’s a reference to the day/night/time cycle that they both highlight.

I’m also still crossing my fingers for a Dragon-type Eeveelution counterpart for Sylveon as the ninth and final special type.

QuentinQuonce

I’m also still crossing my fingers for a Dragon-type Eeveelution counterpart for Sylveon as the ninth and final special type.
Yes! I'm not one of these people who thinks that there should be an Eeveelution for each type but there fully should be a Dragon Eeveelution, if nothing else than for numerical neatness. Each Eeveelution has the same stat spread, just rearranged (130/110/95/65/65/60) but no Eeveelution yet has has SpDef as the lowest stat and it really bugs me. The Dragon one should be 65/130/65/110/60/95.

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Yes! I'm not one of these people who thinks that there should be an Eeveelution for each type but there fully should be a Dragon Eeveelution, if nothing else than for numerical neatness. Each Eeveelution has the same stat spread, just rearranged (130/110/95/65/65/60) but no Eeveelution yet has has SpDef as the lowest stat and it really bugs me. The Dragon one should be 65/130/65/110/60/95.
I love how it mirrors Sylveon’s stat spread, swapping SDef and Attack, Def and SAttack, and Hp and Speed!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And then, BOOM, Regional Variants for Eevee & all the Eeveelutions.
Eevee becomes Dragon
Flareon becomes Fighting
Vaporeon becomes Flying
Jolteon becomes Steel
Espeon becomes Bug
Umbreon becomes Poison
Glaceon becomes Rock
Leafeon becomes Ground
Sylveon becomes Ghost

So I decided to do something where I rank some of the best pokemon games and they all start with 10 points and then they lose 1 point for each flaw I have found in the games, this is what I have so far

Bw2
-1 No frontier and and pwt lacks buildup and challenge

-1 No subway update and Multi is still a pain

-1 No genies and dreamradar can only be brought on a 3ds was very cheap on their part.

-1 Musicals are so boring and unsatisfrying and although movies are much better they still arent that thrilling and what was the point of surveys unity tower, the weird xtransciever games and feeling checks?

-1 Medal requirments are annoying and grindy making you repeat the same action 100s of times without caring if you do it well or not.

-1 for keys, Entree and unova link as well as many medal requirments that need you to connect to the opposite versions through wireless or infrared only ( not even available in wifi )

Hgss
-1 Trainer and gym leader rematches are far to complex to do needing certain times and days to be called not to mention finding them to start with.

-1 Safari wait times are insane can take nearly a year for some mons like gible by that time a new gen has come out lol.

-1 very little climate going on and story could have been expanded into kanto to, also Silver didn't get final evolutions for his mons they stayed same as in gen 2 which was sad.

PT
-1 Many kanto and johto sprites got weird animations like they are stuck mid movement.
Also many routes were left without radar exclusive or swarm pokemon, they could have incorporated some rare much needed gba exclusives like zangoose and lunatone into the said routes as swarms or radar exclusives.
Also Sunkern should have been in whole route of 204 instead of just the northern part where there is not enough grass to chain in.

Emerald
-1 No second round of improved league to battle, Steven should not be only a 1 battle per game also not being able to battle Rival later is lame and no postgame area to explore with high level trainers is not great either.

-1 So many cool islands in the game that were made almost impossible to ever see for most players.

-1 lack of decent prizes for BP like much needed Tms etc.

FRLG
-1 Minigames are to awkward to play and complete and getting the trainer star is a pain.

-1 lack of decent postgame challenge other than the trainer tower.

-1 No clock in a gen 3 game is unacceptable, you cant evolve to espeon and umbreon you cant spread pokerus and many other limitations.

-1 Legendary dogs having bugged ivs of almost 0 is pretty shit.

As a result we have
Bw2 with a final score of 4 ( sorry unova fans lol )
Hgss a score of 7
Platinum scores 9 with almost no big flaws
Emerald scores 7
Frlg score 6

It gets me that for the very few events added to HGSS, only 1 addresses an issue: Lugia being an afterthought
the rest;

- The Celebi time event. For something that reveals that Silver, our rival, is related to Gio, it REALLY shouldn't have been locked by an event mon. The event itself is short outside 1 fight, and has 0 impact elsewhere despite being about a main character. Nothing here really should've been event mon locked honestly, and this leads to another complaint later

- Arceus granting an egg. The event itself is cool, and it gives the ruins some purpose....
....Except that it's entirely illegal to obtain without events (not even base trade, DPPT just...didn't have him). The only way to access this otherwise was either hacks, or massive glitching

- The Steven Pewter Museum Enigma Stone event. Annoyingly locked unless you have the wifi obtained item. But it doesn't alleviate how bare Kanto is, nor does it feel rewarding compared to other in game Legendaries. Neither mon are really associated with Steven either, so it just feels like a last minute copout to "oh no, you don't want to trade for the other roamer"

- Spiky Ear chu. I mean...you're cute. But you're just a single mon

And then there's no more outside basic Wifi obtained mons, so HGSS is still bare campaign wise

The other issue I have: Jirachi and Celebi are so horribly handled for event mons. While most try to offer a unique gimmick in puzzle or lore (Deoxys probably being the best), these 2 for many gens are just...."here"

Celebi at least in Crystal had something remotely relevant in Illex Forest, but for the most part, these mons are probably the most disconnected from most Pokemon games. Mew at least is related to Mewtwo (and Faraway Island is close to South America in Gen 3), so it's a step above rep wise

It gets me that for the very few events added to HGSS, only 1 addresses an issue: Lugia being an afterthought
the rest;

- The Celebi time event. For something that reveals that Silver, our rival, is related to Gio, it REALLY shouldn't have been locked by an event mon. The event itself is short outside 1 fight, and has 0 impact elsewhere despite being about a main character. Nothing here really should've been event mon locked honestly, and this leads to another complaint later

- Arceus granting an egg. The event itself is cool, and it gives the ruins some purpose....
....Except that it's entirely illegal to obtain without events (not even base trade, DPPT just...didn't have him). The only way to access this otherwise was either hacks, or massive glitching

- The Steven Pewter Museum Enigma Stone event. Annoyingly locked unless you have the wifi obtained item. But it doesn't alleviate how bare Kanto is, nor does it feel rewarding compared to other in game Legendaries. Neither mon are really associated with Steven either, so it just feels like a last minute copout to "oh no, you don't want to trade for the other roamer"

- Spiky Ear chu. I mean...you're cute. But you're just a single mon

And then there's no more outside basic Wifi obtained mons, so HGSS is still bare campaign wise

The other issue I have: Jirachi and Celebi are so horribly handled for event mons. While most try to offer a unique gimmick in puzzle or lore (Deoxys probably being the best), these 2 for many gens are just...."here"

Celebi at least in Crystal had something remotely relevant in Illex Forest, but for the most part, these mons are probably the most disconnected from most Pokemon games. Mew at least is related to Mewtwo (and Faraway Island is close to South America in Gen 3), so it's a step above rep wise
I completely agree about the time travel celebi thing should not have been event only, also there should have been another event celebi that lets you catch it ingame like the gen 3 and 4 mythicals so that in 5 gens at least 1 celebi could be shiny smh

Except that it's entirely illegal to obtain without events (not even base trade, DPPT just...didn't have him
Perhaps they may bring back those events?

I'm (a little) sad that Nintendo has not yet made gen 3 or 4 games available via 3ds eshop.

They did with gen 1-2. There's definitely hope. Maybe 2-3 years wait? They may also bring back event pokemon too.

I think many, old and new to pkmn, would like them: A lot of those game came out near the introduction of the Nintendo DS/DSi, popular consoles.

I'm (a little) sad that Nintendo has not yet made gen 3 or 4 games available via 3ds eshop.

They did with gen 1-2. There's definitely hope. Maybe 2-3 years wait? They may also bring back event pokemon too.

I think many, old and new to pkmn, would like them: A lot of those game came out near the introduction of the Nintendo DS/DSi, popular consoles.
At least wifi events for gens 4 and 5 are available again although not official

Arceus granting an egg. The event itself is cool, and it gives the ruins some purpose....
Aren't the Sinjoh Ruins only accessible after getting the event Arceus? I mean I get that event-exclusive stuff is frustrating since their timed nature makes them permanently inaccessible to future players, but this doesn't seem any different from other event locations like Navel Rock or Newmoon Island.

They never made them available on the 3DS eshop because outside of very specific exceptions (the GBA ambassador program that abused the 3DS's DS emulator's GBA emulation and, of all things, Advance Wars Days of Ruins in Japan via Club Nintendo for DS).. And, considering the only support the 3DS gets these days is Stability Updates it's just never going to happen.

For them to re-release gens 3-on (or, hell re-re-release gens 1 & 2 for that matter) would need to be either a standalone collection ala the Mario Anniversary Collection (because lord knows they're never going to put these just up on the eshop normally) or as part of NSO, which took this long to get N64 games and we don't even have gameboy games up there, much less GBA or DS.

This generation is just a loss. Better hope for the next generation of hardware, imo.

QuentinQuonce

Would require a lot of messing with the internal code. Literally all that had to be done with the GS Ball in Crystal was changing a flag in the code from "off" to "on". Adding the event items to RSEFLRG would require a bit more intensive tinkering.

Not saying it can't/won't be done, but it's not as simple as it sounds.

Also gen I and II are unplayable for most now due to the battery failure problem and the scarcity of carts, so there was a more obvious need/appetite for those. Gen III and IV carts haven't (yet) started to degrade*, so they probably won't bother until that happens.

*though according to what I've read it won't be too long; as someone who still uses cartridges the thought makes me bitterly sad

Would require a lot of messing with the internal code. Literally all that had to be done with the GS Ball in Crystal was changing a flag in the code from "off" to "on". Adding the event items to RSEFLRG would require a bit more intensive tinkering.

Also gen I and II are unplayable for most now due to the battery issue and the scarcity of carts, so they were needed more. Gen III and IV carts haven't (yet) started to degrade*, so they probably won't bother until that happens.

*though according to what I've read it won't be too long; as someone who still uses cartridges the thought makes me bitterly sad
The celebi thing was not just flipping a flag, they had to add a trigger when you beat the game and then add a NPC to give it to you because the way you get it is by the Nurse handing you the ball as you exit the center (I believe in the original jp crystal you got it from a specific attendant you just talk to after downloading it)

RSEFRLG would work similarly: add some trigger to have someone give you the tickets, possibly add a NPC to give said tickets.
Eon Ticket kind of solves itself, Norman gave you those (and other ereader stuff, apparently). It would be [relatively] simple to to have him give you the other tickets & map in Emerald as well.
FRLG I can't remember where you picked up the items, so they'd probably have to add someone.

DPPt's items (& the eon event in HGSS) are similarly easy. You get the items from the mystery gift mart attendant. Set a trigger to get him to give you the stuff.

Alternatively, for FRLG especially, just add an item dump when you try to access mystery gift menu. The Battle Network games, when released on Wii U VC, worked like this. Access "Network" (the multiplayer option) and it just dumps the event chips in your pack.

I'm not saying it's trivial, but they're also already altering the games for trading so compared to that there's some relatively simple avenues to take here.

Sadly the "get pokemon to activate events" things would probably be like VC Mew was: an external event that gives the pokemon so you can get the event.

Also gen I and II are unplayable for most now due to the battery failure problem and the scarcity of carts, so there was a more obvious need/appetite for those. Gen III and IV carts haven't (yet) started to degrade*, so they probably won't bother until that happens.

This scares me I have nearly 15 years work on many of my games, is there any easy way to back them up safely?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As a result we have
Bw2 with a final score of 4 ( sorry unova fans lol )
Hgss a score of 7
Platinum scores 9 with almost no big flaws
Emerald scores 7
Frlg score 6
Well that isn't bias and/or subjective at all. :psysly: Not saying your complaints aren't valid... but some of these points are bigger than others (actual missing features vs nitpicks vs personal preferences), honestly there's probably plenty of little things about each game that'll drag it down to down even more possibly to zero, and it doesn't really way in any pros to balance out these cons. I'm fine with listing the problems you have with each game, I just had a small issue with the arbitrary scoring system. We get it, you like Platinum and think it's the best in the series (and may or may not like BW2 and think it's the worst), you don't got to come up with a mathematical equation to feel that way.

Though to comment on a few of your points:

Bw2
  1. No subway update and Multi is still a pain

2. No genies and dreamradar can only be brought on a 3ds was very cheap on their part.

3. Musicals are so boring and unsatisfrying and although movies are much better they still arent that thrilling and what was the point of surveys unity tower, the weird xtransciever games and feeling checks?

4. Medal requirments are annoying and grindy making you repeat the same action 100s of times without caring if you do it well or not.
  1. In that case you might as well subtract points from HGSS & Platinum for not changing the Battle Tower (and HGSS for just reusing the Platinum BF wholesale). Sure, it may stand out more because it's now the only Battle Facility, but that doesn't really change the Gen IV Battle Tower is ultimately the same and was just now integrated into its Battle Frontier (Emerald also had a Battle Tower but it was updated to match the Battle Frontier mechanics and given its own Frontier Brain).

2. BUT BW2 did bring in a lot more Legendaries from other games. But I'll grant the Dream Radar was a bit of a strange idea and locking the new forms behind it was a bad ideas.

3. While certainly not as indepth as Contests were I also feel Musicals were meant to be a more lighthearted affair and movies both a puzzle to figure out and to mess with. You're not supposed to spend hours grinding for the best Pokeblocks/Poffin and coming up with a different movesets for your Pokemon to use during the Contest, no, you can pretty much use your battling Pokemon as is in these and still get rewarded with less amount of the time you spend in Contests.

4. This I feel evens itself out. Sure, some medals were grindy or involved going online thus you can no longer get them, others I feel were fun ideas or suggested interesting challenges. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out a team of specific Types to get all the "Beat the League with a team of all this Type" medals (except for Psychic where I swept them all with Mewtwo so I could get both the Psychic and "Solo the League" Medals, lol). I feel the Medal System just needed some improvements, maybe more original/fun ideas and Challenges instead of relying on doing certain activities multiple times or connecting online... BUT of course GF never brought it back. *SIGH*

Hgss
  1. Trainer and gym leader rematches are far to complex to do needing certain times and days to be called not to mention finding them to start with.

2. very little climate going on and story could have been expanded into kanto to, also Silver didn't get final evolutions for his mons they stayed same as in gen 2 which was sad.
  1. While they maybe could have thrown in some hints and such, I like the idea of finding the Gym Leaders on their off hours and that unlocking more special rematches with them. Like, maybe allow you to have rematches with them by going through their Gym again... BUT if you find them on their off hours they'll give you their phone number so that you can just call them and they'll all go to the Battleground so you have one convenient place to go to battle them without having to go through their entire Gym as well. Not restrict rematches but also award you for going out of your way to find them to make rematches easier to do.

2. Kanto was expanded but not really in story but rather in presentation. Kanto in GSC was really shrunk down (now revealed to have been a beta concept of Gen II originally being ALL of Japan) and so missing a lot of elements and pizazz (such as with the Gym Puzzles). HGSS very much fixed that by including all the excluded locations back and giving the Kanto Gyms puzzles to solve through. I do agree it's disappointing they didn't expand the Rocket return storyline into Kanto, like after defeating Archer he reveals he was only the leader of the Johto Rocket revival group and there's another group back at Kanto trying to get things back in order their. Also, wow, I never realized they forgot to evolve Silver's Sneasel and Magneton, that's a pretty noticeable oversight especially since HGSS didn't prevent cross gen evos like FRLG did.

PT
-1 Many kanto and johto sprites got weird animations like they are stuck mid movement.
Also many routes were left without radar exclusive or swarm pokemon, they could have incorporated some rare much needed gba exclusives like zangoose and lunatone into the said routes as swarms or radar exclusives.
Also Sunkern should have been in whole route of 204 instead of just the northern part where there is not enough grass to chain in.
Aside from Sunkern which is a minor nitpick, honestly this is more two issues which would bring Platinum down to an 8. :blobnom:

Emerald
(...) no postgame area to explore with high level trainers is not great either.
I don't think Platinum had this either. Both Emerald's and Platinum's post game was comparable as it included just the BIG area: Battle Frontier.

This generation is just a loss. Better hope for the next generation of hardware, imo.
OR buy a copy of OR/AS and BD/SP (not both versions, one of each would do) and then emulate Emerald and Platinum.

This scares me I have nearly 15 years work on many of my games, is there any easy way to back them up safely?
Sadly I don't think so. Once the battery goes or is removed all data is wiped. You could see if there's a method to dump the data onto a file on your computer but you'll probably need some specific hardware for that (and would probably just be easier to recreate your achievements).

Now if you're talking about having some rare Pokemon on there, yeah, may want to start transferring them upwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)