Implemented please ban alts in team tours

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is enough creative expression in nicknaming your pokemon. it makes the game less enjoyable when i do not know who is playing and have to hunt for the battlers. standardizing alts benefits spectators, prevents players from being goofy, keeps the chat from being clogged with the same question repeatedly, and is just generally better.

please!

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
[mandatory this is my oppinion and not the -] wait.. im out lol

this is just what should be done vs whats fun for everyone lol
logically having ppl only being able to play on their voiced alts make sense. No more stupid nickname shenanigans, everyone can immediatelly recognize whos playing, no more sogeking baiting people into playing. . . like yeah that would be nice

but....that'd be boring af. i know it, yall know it, and thats just how it is. Maybe we could have like, an alt list for everyone for a middle ground? Maybe list your tournament alts in your smogon profile or smth? That could work i think

cheers

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[mandatory this is my oppinion and not the -] wait.. im out lol

this is just what should be done vs whats fun for everyone lol
logically having ppl only being able to play on their voiced alts make sense. No more stupid nickname shenanigans, everyone can immediatelly recognize whos playing, no more sogeking baiting people into playing. . . like yeah that would be nice

but....that'd be boring af. i know it, yall know it, and thats just how it is. Maybe we could have like, an alt list for everyone for a middle ground? Maybe list your tournament alts in your smogon profile or smth? That could work i think

cheers
or

If you wish to sign up, please use the following format:

Player Name: Boat
Showdown username : Boat
Tiers Played: SS OU
Timezone: GMT-3

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
You can always ask your opponent to use their main alt, it's like one of the rules every tournament has, or are supposed to.

Why not enforce it just in early rounds of live tours? If you are in quarters or semis you are not supposed to be a random nobody knows who they are. Alts are funny to use and don't harm anybody (if they do, punish them or don't let them use that specific alt).

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Lets do it. Alts are funny but not so funny that we need to preserve them.

It is seriously dumb not being able to find a high profile tournament game because both users decided to play under alts named pkmncypherrapgod#blunder#loves#aim and SUCKekingdisD*CK and also seriously takes away from the hype imo.

Way cooler to catch people playing under Fear, Tahamhome or bro fist - knowing who they are and being able to recognize its a high profile match.

I would only put this "ALT"-Lock into Official Tournaments tho and here especially for Team Tours and Playoffs for Individuals. Maybe for like idk Top 8 or Opens/Cups - whenever replays are mandatory.
The qualification stages can stay as they are probably because the stakes arent as high during them.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
This has been brought up in the TD chat and I personally support it (not speaking on behalf of others).

We have our hands full with the WCoP format and STour/GrandSlam starting very soon, but I promise you this is not being ignored.

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Some more practical questions I'm curious for in the meantime:

What is the punishment suggested here? infraction/game doesn't count/forfeit the game or set/tourban?
Would this apply to all official tour games, only playoffs, team tours, circuits, all of the previous, some other combination?
Not everyone has a voiced smogtours alt, do they list their alt in the signups? or how would we know what people will use?

I'm looking for opinion here, what would be acceptable/enforceable?

You can just confirm in smogon or discord with your opponent in what alt you are in. I understand that in Smogon Tour this wont work but at the same time is the perfect tour to use alts, so people have a harder time trying to scout what you are using.

In the case the alts have an offensive name to you... well just report it idk

I think making the game a loss is too harsh / impractical. It's not unreasonable for someone to forget. I think you either allow people to use alts or make it so only voiced users can send challenges. If the latter is also impractical, then just let people use alts.

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Just make "PS Alt" a field in the signup for any tour that wants to use the rule. The complaint right now seems to be directed mostly at official tours, and any circuit that wants to enforce it should be able to. A game loss is a bit harsh but people are gonna learn real quick, doubt anybody "forgets" after the first couple of instances.

You could also set some more specific guidelines on individual tours. Allowing alts in Smogon Tours or early rounds of OST/Classic/Slam seems fine, but once you progress to playoffs or a certain stage in a cup, alts should be turned off. This should be a given for team tours though.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Just make "PS Alt" a field in the signup for any tour that wants to use the rule. The complaint right now seems to be directed mostly at official tours, and any circuit that wants to enforce it should be able to. A game loss is a bit harsh but people are gonna learn real quick, doubt anybody "forgets" after the first couple of instances.

You could also set some more specific guidelines on individual tours. Allowing alts in Smogon Tours or early rounds of OST/Classic/Slam seems fine, but once you progress to playoffs or a certain stage in a cup, alts should be turned off. This should be a given for team tours though.
I think more than just official tours like circuits and team tours, this idea is supposed to also extend to Smogon Tour. I think there's a better solution rather than applying some kind of after-the-fact "auto-loss" is to make it impossible through the simulator

I think making the game a loss is too harsh / impractical. It's not unreasonable for someone to forget. I think you either allow people to use alts or make it so only voiced users can send challenges. If the latter is also impractical, then just let people use alts.
Make a role in-between no role and voiced that allows users to send/receive challenges. Not sure what to do about locked users (maybe just allow them to only accept challenges like they currently can), but if a user isn't voiced+, locked, or a new challenge-allowed role, then you won't see them playing any battles on Smogtours, effectively fixing the problem

I don't see why punishment is necessary. Both players just have to be aware that the game won't count if the game is played with either player under an alias. If the player refuses to change to their main account, it would be an activity loss for them since the player isn't showing up on their main (voiced) account.

Fran

formerly Frania
is a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
I don't see why punishment is necessary. Both players just have to be aware that the game won't count if the game is played with either player under an alias. If the player refuses to change to their main account, it would be an activity loss for them since the player isn't showing up on their main (voiced) account.
This doesn't really work, because both players might forget about it and start the game, which you can't just restart on a different account. I don't see why we can't use a lighter punishment like an infraction or a "yellow card", which would force the player to be benched for a week if they get it twice. It seems like its a mistake someone might make once, but its very unlikely to be committed multiple times if there is a punishment in place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)