Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I wouldn't count on this being the case. I mean... it could be. But it could also be that they just zoomed the camera in to not reveal what level the specific gym leader was. After all, I don't think anyone expects gym leader Pokemon to not have gender, and that was also absent. Both would be cut off at the same time if the camera was just zoomed in a bit.

Nah, it ain't zoomed in enough to obscure the level

Please don't make me have to go into an image editor and literally draw a line to measure the distance between the level indicator and HP bar
I mean the bar is structured differently between the two anyway

Hoppip is centered and the level & gender are too

Cetitan is left aligned and the HP bar is thicker

This might be a difference between trainer and wild battle presentation in general

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Only mention of the leaks i want to say is that iirc no gym scaling, and the pkmn site seems to soft confirm this. Don't exactly see the point of open world when there's still an implied order that will be extremely hard to deviate from lol
It being hard is the point.
If there was scaling the game would be easy regardless of the order you choose, now you can skip the first gym and be underleveled the whole game or try to beat one of the latter gyms while 20 levels behind.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What intrigues me is that Terastal, like Dynamax with respect to Galar, seems to be deeply entrenched in Paldea's region. Unlike Mega Evolution and Z-Moves which while dominantly associated with Kalos and Alola, respectively, had workings such that hypothetically, you could use Mega Evolution or Z-Moves wherever you want in the Pokemon world, meanwhile Dynamax and Terastal seem to be so deeply associated with special energy that is found only in Galar and Paldea, respectively, such that it is impossible to utilize them outside of their respective regions.

I do wonder if this also means that like Dynamax, Terastal would only be able to be used in certain parts of Paldea. Like are the Gyms specifically special spots that have Terastal Energy and such? Same with the Raid spots where Tera Raids are supposedly gonna take place. I look forward to finding out more about it.

I also wonder if there will be a special version of Terastal exclusive to certain mons, like how certain mons had special forms of Dynamax called Gigantamax. In those cases a G-Maxed mon had a signature G-Max Move with special effects, but if the same thing happens with Terastal, then what special bonuses would Pokemon with a special version of Terastal have compared to a normal Tera-mon.

Terastal's workings are a bit unclear atm but I really wanna know more about how it works beyond its association with types.

What intrigues me is that Terastal, like Dynamax with respect to Galar, seems to be deeply entrenched in Paldea's region. Unlike Mega Evolution and Z-Moves which while dominantly associated with Kalos and Alola, respectively, had workings such that hypothetically, you could use Mega Evolution or Z-Moves wherever you want in the Pokemon world, meanwhile Dynamax and Terastal seem to be so deeply associated with special energy that is found only in Galar and Paldea, respectively, such that it is impossible to utilize them outside of their respective regions.

I do wonder if this also means that like Dynamax, Terastal would only be able to be used in certain parts of Paldea. Like are the Gyms specifically special spots that have Terastal Energy and such? Same with the Raid spots where Tera Raids are supposedly gonna take place. I look forward to finding out more about it.

I also wonder if there will be a special version of Terastal exclusive to certain mons, like how certain mons had special forms of Dynamax called Gigantamax. In those cases a G-Maxed mon had a signature G-Max Move with special effects, but if the same thing happens with Terastal, then what special bonuses would Pokemon with a special version of Terastal have compared to a normal Tera-mon.

Terastal's workings are a bit unclear atm but I really wanna know more about how it works beyond its association with types.
it seems like terastal can be used anywhere. you just see it pop up all over
they also mentioned on the website that you have to recharge it at pokemon centers (or other crystals) between uses, which further presents it as something you can do at any time

I've had more hype with SwSh trailers than with SV so far, but maybe I'm sceptical after some disappointment.

Anyway, the trailer showed some interesting stuff:

-It seems the Gym Leader level scaling is very sophisticated. If they don't have levels, leveling up might be only important for evolution/new moves/EVs. if it's the case, GF has just reduced grinding to abysmal levels. I truly hope it's true.

- Raids being a not-turn based action is excellent. It seems we can fight Pokemon in real time for the first time.

- The battle UI indicates that the battle transitions are smooth as PLA. Playing SwSh or BDSP after a PLA experience is terrible.

- The graphics are bad. Period. Not a big issue to me, but they're very poor.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
- Raids being a not-turn based action is excellent. It seems we can fight Pokemon in real time for the first time.
This felt like they're trying to make the Raid feature even more like Yo-Kai Watch Busters than it already arguably is. Not that I'm complaining since no thanks to how slow Pokemon's turn based system is, Raids in SWSH were a total slog. I just hope they make it so you can bring along any monster you own this time like Busters when you don't have friends to play with instead of being straddled with NPCs with weak, unhelpful, randomized monsters.

One of the screenshots on the Japanese official site shows a rotated minimap in battle.

(Also, Serebii has a higher-res version of this screenshot in English with the minimap rotated at a different angle, but I can't find this screenshot's English version anywhere on the official site. Does anyone know what page it's from?)

One of the screenshots on the Japanese official site shows a rotated minimap in battle.

(Also, Serebii has a higher-res version of this screenshot in English with the minimap rotated at a different angle, but I can't find this screenshot's English version anywhere on the official site. Does anyone know what page it's from?)
Probably from the press pack . nintendo has a news server where they have high res screenshots and stuff; sometimes they have new screenshots not used elsewhere

also this doesn't seem to be in battle, this is ralts evolving. So the battle probably just neded, with the evolution taking place "in the world", so it already loaded up the mini map

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sv/ja/lineup/220803_02/
The Japanese website has some pages that don't have an English parallel, like this one mentions some preorder gifts of a card and various items and the classic 100 pokeballs. Also in general these seem to be where some of the screenshots below are made for but in Japanese, though I guess they just prepared both and put them all in the press release. Also the English site has a more colourful favicon pattern which also appears at the bottom of the pages.

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sv/ja/story/220803_03/
This page talks about Pokemon Centers and how you can get "advice on where to go on your adventure".

Serebii has the prerelease screenshots compiled so here are my thoughts on the UI.

While some labels have no background, the move selection UI is very rectangular. It reminds me of BDSP, though they still had some style to the game based on the original DS buttons. Personally I liked how Legends was pretty stylized. This Pikachu's learnset lines up with the typical SWSH moveset though I assume it retained an early Thunder Wave. Also we're back to regular PP numbers.

1659545851745.png

This trailer (16:48) Pikachu is higher level and has a more varied set of moves. Iron Tail is either back as a TM or a retained level up move from PLA or just comes with the Fly event Pikachu. Also that mouse cursor is in the real trailer.

These mini-models are also very BDSP. I like that this dialogue at least has some kind of background to it.

This Rotom map reminds me of the Rotom minimap concept from SWSH beta.

Prompts to learn new moves return so Legends move learning is probably gone or at least not as seamless. It seems the game actually shows you evolving and learning new moves in the overworld rather than the cutscene dimension, and maybe it happens out of battle. Also there's a look at the main minimap in the bottom right.

The equivalent Japanese screenshot is actually facing a different direction based on the minimap, though I guess the camera angle stays the same. Also it's in a smaller resolution.

This level up UI is a lot shorter than BDSP and SWSH's now that they don't have both the minisprite and EXP bar taking the same horizontal space.

This raid battle is for a Steel type Marill with the icon on the top left, and you can tell what type they are on the overworld by the color of the crystal. Link codes are back to 4 digits and Juliana has a Psyduck icon.

I like this corkboard menu though it looks a bit empty on this screen. Hopefully this means gamefreak has a specific menu for finding people to play with and we don't have to deal with the ycomm RNG again.

https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/the_oldest_school/
Also the school has pretty interesting lore. I wonder how it'll play out with being involved in the three plots, with the treasure hunt seemingly being one of the core paths. Based on the story page it sounds like becoming champion involves taking a test to earn the rank.
"Age is not an issue in enrollment here, so a wide range of age groups—from children to adults—take the same classes, which mostly relate to Pokémon. It seems there are a few classes that you can take WITH Pokémon too."

Lastly I just wanted to point out that they put Koraidon's name on Miraidon's picture on the official website.

Last edited:
so going back to the Cetitan gym battle i want to point out that here...

we see Pikachu's gender & level, as we're selecting moves

But here Sprigagito's level & gender aren't displayed while it's getting paralyzed

So there's clearly some variance in what gets displayed at certain points in the battle.

Updated Paldea checklist:
1659551123992.png

Color code:
- Green: this Pokemon is present in the SV Pokedex,
- Dark Green: this Pokemon has a new Regional Form
- Light Green: this Pokemon is likely to be present in the SV Pokedex.

New confirmations:
- Growlithe, Arcanine,
- Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking,
- Scyther, Scizor, Kleavor,
- Magikarp, Gyarados,
- Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon,
- Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite,
- Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos,
- Azurill, Marill, Azumarill,
- Wooper-P, Quagsire,
- Misdreavus, Mismagius,
- Murkrow, Honchkrow,
- Girafarig,
- Pineco, Forretress,
- Houndour, Houndoom,
- Phanpy, Donphan,
- Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade,
- Makuhita, Hariyama,
- Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking,
- Cacnea, Cacturne,
- Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass,
- Shinx, Luxio, Luxray,
- Pachirisu,
- Hippopotas, Hippowdon,
- Finneon, Lumineon,
- Rotom,
- Deerling, Sawsbuck,
- Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross,
- Cubchoo, Beartic,
- Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon,
- Skiddo, Gogoat,
- Noibat, Noivern,
- Rockruff, Lycanroc,
- Mudbray, Mudsdale,
- Skwovet, Greedent,
- Sinistea, Polteageist,
- Hatenna, Hattrem, Hatterene,
- Pincurchin,
- Eiscue,
- Cufant, Copperajah,

Additionally, a potted Sunflora can be seen in the trailer, but I don't think that is enough of a confirmation. I also removed the previously marked Qwilfish from the list, as it was only shown on a shop sign. Quagsire is not marked with Dark Green - Paldean Wooper might have a different evolution just like Meowth-G or Yamask-G.

Paldean Wooper is very cute. I like how his gills make a Skull and Crossbones symbol.
And I love Cetitan. I always wanted a proto-whale Pokemon and this one certainly doesn't disappoint. It's very cool.
Overall, it was a really nice trailer after this news drought.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but terastal maybe fits into how the games are based on the idea of a past and the future. Terastal could be a symbolization of the past, like primal reversion where a pokemon brings out the power they had in ancient times. Crystallization also plays a role into this, where the crystals could symbolize older times due to typically being associated with "crystalized energy".

Also pooper :totodiLUL:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)