Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

All right. Time for some more in-depth unstructured thoughts about the new info for the games.

There was one thing I wanted to say earlier. Allow me to be a true Pokémon fan for a moment and whine about every little thing. I don’t like how they recently have been showcasing all new info about the games through livestreamed Presents instead of just dropping a regular trailer out of nowhere, like they did in the past. I think it was more fun that way.

Now, to what was shown in the Presents. Or rather, what was shown regarding ScaVio. I like how the games seem to be based around the school, with professors, a teacher, a director, and other students. The backstory/lore of the school seems pretty cool too. No voice acting, but I guess I shouldn’t have expected anything else. The point studying at the school seems to be… a treasure hunt? I wonder what kind of treasure we will find? I’m going to try my best to find the treasure named Friendship.

As for the new characters, I wonder if Arven and Penny will be friendly rivals, or if they will just be supporting characters? Guess we’ll see. The info on the site seems to hint that they will battle you, so I guess friendly rivals. I’m still super happy about Nemona as the first female main rival in the series, I hope she will be just as great as I’m expecting her to be. Gravell is described as strict yet kind, the perfect sort of teacher if you ask me. Jacq seem fine. I thought Grusha was cute at first… but she’s male? And Penny is apparently a girl, I thought she was a boy at first. Though I guess the skirt should have made it obvious… and Penny is a female name.

The region name, finally. Paldea. Going by the map, it looks great. It seems large and there are many different environments… just like with every region from Sinnoh and on, which is excellent. I like the big tower, it reminds me of the towers from BOTW and that’s cool.

Graphically, the games look fine to me. Not as great as many other Switch games, but I hadn’t expected that. They seem to be a step up from L:A at least, and that’s great. I don’t care if the grass looks bad or whatever, I won’t have time to study the grass as I’m going to actually play the game!

The three stories are interesting. One of them is obviously going to be the standard story with the Gyms and League, but what about the other two? Will the school and the treasure hunt be one of the other stories? I guess I’ll need to play to find out.

Next, some thoughts on the new Pokémon:
- Fidough is super adorable! A cute dog, following Lillipup, Yamper and Hisuian Growlithe. If real-life dogs could be this cute, I could even consider getting one. It is a Fairy-type too! Maybe I’ll use one on my in-game team. If I use it alongside Sprigatito, I’ll have both cat and dog!
- Cetitan is a typical weird new Pokémon. I’ll get used to it eventually. An Ice-type whale with legs and arms? The more I think about it, the more creative it feels.
- Paldean Wooper isn’t too different from regular Wooper outside of the colors… but that’s okay, Wooper is great and so is this regional variant. I’m very happy about regional variants continuing. And they will hopefully never be Kanto-only again.

I’m also happy to see more old Pokémon returning. The trailer showcased Sawsbuck, and in different forms too! I guess seasons won’t be in the games, I assume there will just be different forms of Sawsbuck in different areas, and maybe you’ll be able to change the form of it if you let it battle in a different area. I also like how Gogoat is back, and Cufant too! Copperajah is going to be there, awesome!

The legendaries are going to be ride Pokémon after all. I assume we will obtain them as rides early on, but we won’t be able to catch/use them in battle until the endgame. There’s yet another Rotom Pokédex, so that’s cool. As long as it doesn’t babble endlessly like in US/UM, I don’t have any problems with it. Pokémon Centers being completely outside is nice. As someone noted, it saves time since we won’t have to go through the door every time we want to do something at them.

Now, for the open world. Assuming it is a real open world (since that it what it has been presented as) and not a linear open world like in L:A, I wonder how it is going to work. Will it have level scaling? Levels are confirmed to be in the game, after all. If so, how will the levels be scaled? Will it be according you your progress in the game (this feels like it might be difficult if there are three different stories, though not all of them might be related to levels) or according to the levels of your party? Will levels scale for everything, or just for trainers battles, or just for “important” opponents like Gym Leaders? One screenshot shows a level 36 Pikachu fighting a (presumably wild) Donphan at level 25, but it does not really confirm anything.

If there is level scaling, will there be any way to “reset” the levels, allowing you to face wild Pokémon at low levels even after beating the game? Or will there not be any level scaling at all, to the point that you can potentially run into a wild Pokémon at level 60 immediately? If so, then I hope there will be a limit for at which levels you can catch Pokémon like there was in S/S. Or maybe levels won’t matter at all in the game? But if so, why are they in the games to start with?

I think this has the potential to become great, but there’s also just as much of a risk that they’ll screw it up really hard. Some things I saw were mentioned were that it seems like you can do the League whenever you want, even before doing any Gyms? Really weird. Someone also noted that there was a screenshot where the Pokémon used by the Gym Leaders did not have its level displayed, but since other screenshots confirmed that all info about the Pokémon is not always displayed, it does not really confirm anything.

Terastal, the new super mechanic. Not what I had expecting, still wondering when we will get Mega Abilities. Maybe in Gen 10? Anyway, as for Terastal… visually, I think it looks much cooler than Dynamax and Gigantamax. Crystallized Pokémon is great, it reminds me of the crystal ponies from MLP. That’s not a bad thing to be associated to if you ask me. Though I don’t really understand how it will work, and I don’t feel like reading up on what we know about it so far, I’ll just wait until the games are out and discover it for myself. It seems like it can be used anywhere like Megas/Z-moves, it does not appear to be restricted to just certain areas like Dynamax. I don’t care much for the raids, I wasn’t a huge fan of them in S/S and I don’t think I’ll do them much here either unless I have to, or they turn out to be more fun than in S/S.

So those are my thoughts on all the new stuff. Now to something else. I have finally decided which version to get. It will be Violet, Miraidon won me over in the end. Violet also has the Bagon line which I like better than the Larvitar line (both are great though). But it doesn’t really matter since I won’t be using Salamence, at least not during the main game.

I’m looking forward to the games, what I have seen so far looks fun. I’m definitely not expecting a flawless masterpiece, but as long as the open world isn’t a complete disaster like in Johto, I think it will be fun. I enjoyed both Sword and L:A despite their flaws, and I have a feeling Violet will be fun as well. Now I just need to find the time to play through the main story of XC3 before ScaVio are released… feels like it will be hard. But first of all, I guess I should actually get XC3!

This will be the last pre-release info I’m going to look at. I have seen what I want to see, I have no desire to be spoiled for anything more. Going into the game 90% blind was great when I did it for Sword and I’m definitely doing it again for Violet. In order to avoid more spoilers, I’m planning to go on a semi-hiatus from the forums and most other Pokémon/gaming sites soon. It is a shame how the fandom is still terrible when it comes to handling spoilers for upcoming games, keeping spoilers where they belong is apparently not possible. I’ll wait a few more days though, I have a few other posts I want to make. I also want to read more posts from other people in this thread to see if there are any other things I have missed from the new reveals.

Cetitan is great, it's been a while since we've had a whale Pokémon and it's cool that it seems to take inspiration from Arctic whales in particular. I was wondering when Fairy became the food type, but Swirlix and Slurpuff were around in Gen VI so it's always been the food type. I wonder what pastry Fidough will evolve into...
have an angry face on them (its the same one on all the crowns)

I guess following Necrozma and Eternatus, this is the third phenomena influenced by the "third" legendary
Third legendary leaked

It has crystals, a crown, and an angry face, it all comes together...

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Regarding Koraidon, while I do think it looks very off that the wheels don't work, imo it does kinda make sense. Miraidon is clearly robotic so it detatching body parts and them rotating into its body to function as wheels can work because its not an organic being. With Koraidon it'd be a bit weird if after curling up its tail it could also just somehow function as a wheel (since the tailw ould have to disconnect from the spine in order to spin) and similarly the throat frill would need to rotate into its body while keeping a center of the wheel connected somehow to the throat. I know that its a fantasy franchise but I can see why they're going with "Biological wheels for the mon wouldn't work"

Do think that it looks a bit weird for it to have themwheel-shaped at all when its running if its not using them though. I like Koraidon's design more than Miraidon but I think Miraidon looks a bit more natural for the ground mode. Riding around a big ancient lizard would have looked cooler without the goofy wheels, specially if the mon isn't gonna use them in this form either way.

Swimming mode Koraidon I do like though, since the wheels are revealed to be flotation devices and it puts its frilled hands to good use, and in itself is a pretty clever way to tie into early evolution when species were transitioning from seafaring creatures to more independant land creatures. Similarly I think it having feathered wings is also a really neat visual and a smart way to connect it to ancestry once again since it ties the relationship between reptiles and avians in a way (and it could be argued that it fills its flotation sack here too in a similar way to birds air sacs in order to be able to fly better. itsreally just on the ground that it throws me off a little)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Another thing that recently piqued my interest is the fact that Koraidon/Miraidon are being used as "ride" mons for the game. Effectively taking on the role of "HMs" by doing stuff like climbing rocks, flying, surfing, fast travel across land, etc.

The big thing that strikes is that it takes a lot after Legends: Arceus and the Alola games ofc, especially the former in terms of how it's executed, but unlike those games where you had separate different Pokemon serve different functions, in SV the cover legendary itself universally serves every single function. And the big thing that interests me is how they will handle one single Ride Pokemon having so many functions. Back in Legends: Arceus, you gained access to different ride mons over the course of the story, starting with Wyrdeer and ending with Hisuian Braviary, however in Scarlet and Violet you have one mon doing everything, so will Koraidon/Miraidon's powers be limited to start with and then you have to gain different ride functions over the course of the story in certain ways? If so, how will you gain different ride functions for them over the story? Like you could start with just having them fast travel across the land, then have them gain the ability to climb rocks, surf across the water, identify hidden items, fly across the skies, etc.

I'm definitely very interested in how this will roll.

The other thing is that I am also assuming the Koraidon/Miraidon you ride isn't catchable and is something you use across the story, but this raises ramifications about when and how you will actually catch a Koraidon/Miraidon and use one in battle. I imagine that won't happen until very late in the game, but since it's likely there's only one Koraidon or Miraidon in universe that makes things curious as to how that will change things in terms of using that same Koraidon/Miraidon as a ride.

The fact that Koraidon/Miraidon are serving as a universal ride Pokemon is definitely very interesting.

The other thing is that I am also assuming the Koraidon/Miraidon you ride isn't catchable and is something you use across the story, but this raises ramifications about when and how you will actually catch a Koraidon/Miraidon and use one in battle. I imagine that won't happen until very late in the game, but since it's likely there's only one Koraidon or Miraidon in universe that makes things curious as to how that will change things in terms of using that same Koraidon/Miraidon as a ride.
It won't change anything, after all in ORAS the Latias/Latios you call with the Eon Flute is also the one you caught.

It won't change anything, after all in ORAS the Latias/Latios you call with the Eon Flute is also the one you caught.
Not even a huge deal, in USUM they did show that tecnically in a given dimension both "cover leges" can exist (as the ultrapatrol has both Lunala and Solgaleo, you can pick which to ride but you're riding theirs, not your one).

I wouldn't actually be surprised if you get all the rides at same time: the basis of this game is that you'll be free to go wherever you want right away.

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
Once we get datamine, I'll take care this time again of the Google Sheet reporting it all. Can I ask you all to please DM me when that will be the case ? I might be on break/not looking at my PC for days around this time, so who knows.

And gosh, why is every generation making me more and more disgusted by Fairy types ? I mean, a cake dog ? For real ? It looks like a f'in fakemon done by Thomas, 9 years old.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
And gosh, why is every generation making me more and more disgusted by Fairy types ? I mean, a cake dog ? For real ? It looks like a f'in fakemon done by Thomas, 9 years old.
Usually, I expect most to hate food-themed monsters in Pokemon specifically ever since Unova with the Vanillite line but I imagine the "doggo" factor and new toy sydrome will keep that at bay for awhile.

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
Usually, I expect most to hate food-themed monsters in Pokemon specifically ever since Unova with the Vanillite line but I imagine the "doggo" factor and new toy sydrome will keep that at bay for awhile.
It's so cringe lmao.
Vani and Slurpuff, I like okay. They're not blank. Even Alcreamie had a little thing. This thing is Milcery fused with Yamper. Worst thing ever.

1659558972288.png

Based on the description we got for Arven, I think it's pretty safe to assume that he will be involved in one of the "three great stories" that were mentioned in the trailer. This description specifically mentions that he will ask you to help him out, so I think you can start this side story by talking to Arven. It's interesting that he's said to be good at cooking and researching healthy recipes, rather than Pokemon battles. This sets him apart from Nemona, who seems to be a key player in the gym challenge story. Because of this, I think there will be a story revolving around Arven that's all about exploration, instead of battling. The goal is to find ingredients that can be used for cooking healthy recipes. There is a scene were Arven and the main character go to a cave and find a weird glowing plant after all. Arven's art also features a tamato berry. This particular berry lowers speed EV's, but increases friendship. Maybe the recipes that you can make have similar kinds of effects?

Assuming one of the three stories is about challenging the gym leaders, and another is about exploration and finding cooking ingredients, we can speculate about the third great story. I think a safe guess would be that this is just completing the pokedex for Jacq or the professor. I also think it might be about something like pokemon contests/musicals. Maybe Penny is involved in this somehow? I noticed her design has elements from plusle and minun, like the red and blue hair and the literal red pluses and blue minuses on her leggings. She also has an Eevee backpack, so she clearly likes cute Pokemon. This does seem to fit well for a story about pokemon contest like content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)