Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of breloom, I have tried SD, Poison Heal, I even tried Sub and Focus Punch, honestly, Breloom the biggest weakness are the ghost spam, but with those gone, breloom can totally go, its not a bad mon in the slightest
I've gotten lots of utility from Breloom. Hard to use early game but very useful in mid and great at cleaning up. Access to spore, colorful movepool and two great abilities allow it to be rather unpredictable and makes it fit on a lot. Genuinely think it's kinda underrated right now, but I am prolly too low on ladder to really know

In terms of core, I like pairing it up with specs Pult but I don't know if that's optimal. I just think the typings synergize well

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
If we are talking about cores with loom, it depends on its ability, if your technician SD, then you probably want your breloom to sweep, so a potent wall breaker could be cool, if you're going with Poison Heal, then you want something more bulky to punch through stuff while having survivability, so teammates that can take hits and do well could be a good idea

if you're wondering why I'm so vague with this answer, It's because I actually don't know, lmao

Garganacl can switch in on spore and tera + ID on it (unless its tera type is water) so I wouldn't call those its best matchups.
Ehh Garg has to have terad prior or else switching into Loom is a risky gamble that can lead to it being blown up by a bullet seed. It's not perfect for either side but Loom is at an advantage pre tera (and even post tera, non physdef Loom can still be 2HKOd by bullet seed on the switch).

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Maybe i missed something somewhere, but why so soon?

There hasn't really been a development since the last survey, why not wait till post chien pao ban?
Most i can think of is hydreigon and dirge skyrocketing in usage, ting lu and espathra rising even further.

The word on the street still seems to be Espathra and Garg being suspect worthy and dengo being fine, which isnt that far off from the last survey.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
The word on the street still seems to be Espathra and Garg being suspect worthy
the difference is that in many eyes (including mines), Emu bird went from 3 to hard 5, due to Orthworm gaming (shed tail) support from indeedee, armarouge and also a new tera fire set that shits on Clodsire and skeleridge, there are a few games about it SPL but I haven't watched so if somebody could post those games, I will be thankful

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
There hasn't really been a development since the last survey, why not wait till post chien pao ban?
There have definitely been a good amount of developments since mid-January. And it’s not like we can afford to have empty weeks with Home on the horizon, SPL ongoing, and OST hitting the weekly rounds now. The playerbase had a pretty large outcry for more change, and we reacted by giving them a platform to voice those stances. In prior generations, people have been critical of the council for being too slow and not communicative enough, so we are simply working on being more proactive and using communal feedback to help improve our processes. Obviously we cannot please everyone (and this post is good evidence of that as it seems there are also people who question having too frequent surveys — but, with all due respect, I think the reasoning is sound and nothing is lost in obtaining a more modern data set).

Going back to my first point about change over the last 3 weeks…Espathra started using Tera Fire more and being paired with Orthworm while Grimmsnarl began to surface more regularly again after a little dip, for example.

We are also seeing more Curse Garganacl diversifying it’s set mix and Covert Cloak/Substitute users than ever as a response to this very polarizing, potentially suspect Pokemon.

Other trends like the rise of Skeledirge and SD Valiant are of note, too. Any metagame in its infancy tends to have more frequent changes. I’d argue we saw more movement here than in the 2-3 months between surveys at points later last generation, for example.

Because of this, we felt basing future decisions off of old data wasn’t to be done in good faith or give us the best product loving forward. We wanted new data, but also do not have the afforded luxury of waiting much longer as Home’s date is uncertain and we are in pursuit of balancing the current metagame in the meantime for a whole slew of reasons.

Realistically just from looking at the numbers now, there’s a pretty sizable difference in the responses to something that may dictate a change in our approach, too, so it feels like a success to me already. But I’ll leave that for later.

Greninja doesn't wholely compete with Ace and Meow as the former is more a utility/offensive pivot and Meow is a physical breaker. Greninja fills its own niche and is a special breaker and one of our last remaining options for special water offense.

As for how I feel, I've been loving it. Specs is a great breaker that takes advantage of a lot of common structures running around, and if you want you can have it also function as a spiker since it forces so many switches. Despite the early predictions from some people that Greninja would be underwhelming or even drop, it actually feels like one of the better pokemon in the metagame right now.

Also specs Gren on rain is quite fun.
Yeah, it was funny seeing some people saying that he was gonna be underwhelming and he may even drop to UU or maybe RU because protean was nerfed as if we weren't in the need of a good water special attacker. I still think that they could've given him some new tools other than swords dance or switcheroo, maybe knock off? sucker punch? but I can deal with what we have right now.

Breloom has never been a "mach punch go brr" pokemon. It has always required some thinking to use, but that doesn't detract from it being good. And the possible ban of Pao doesn't change that.

There are two good resists to Breloom's spore, being Amoonguss and Gholdengo, and Loom is far from helpless against the former. Saying that outside of its fast spore it's too frail to really do much is really down playing how strong it is, and can be, because the potency of its own offense in conjunction with spore can be quite tough to dance around when its in. Yes Pao's ice shard can beat Loom, but generally speaking shard is found most often on band sets (at least from my experience), meaning a choice locked Pao is chased out by Loom (and unless banded, ice shard won't KO a healthy Breloom).

And I have to ask, you say it loses to a lot of things, but what are those? Because stuff it does do well against includes many bulky Garchomp variants, defensive Great Tusk, several Garganacl variants, Kingambit, Dondozo, Hatterene, RotomW, Ting-Lu, Toxapex, Clodsire, Slowking, Azumarill...
Iron Valiant, Corviknight, Ceruledge in MOST circumstances, Cinderace, Chien-Pao if it carries Ice Shard, Dragapult, Gholdengo, Glimmora, Greninja, Iron Moth, Meowscarada with Play Rough, Booster/Acrobatics Roaring Moon, Scizor, offensive Volcarona... And those are just in the OU tier. They all either outpace it raw, don't care about Spore, or have priority that slaughters it before it can do anything meaningful.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
whoops didn't see this earlier but better late than never

:espathra: 5. definitely a 5. the fact that it can and will 6-0 teams at any given moment is not at all healthy and i think it needs to go, be it by suspect test or even a quickban. espathra is just so threatening from team preview and it being able to sweep even with precautions taken is absolutely not okay. it doesn't help that its best "check" requires tera to beat it and gets used as setup fodder by espathra's teammates, which could open up another opportunity for the opponent to set up and sweep. espathra is obscenely broken and action should be taken against it as soon as possible

:garganacl: 4. it's not unbeatable but even with counterplay being developed, it's still very easy for it to set up and clean teams after one wrong tera prediction. it's so easy for garganacl to click "terastallize" on a check and continue to sit on them as usual instead of being forced out immediately, which is something i find to be quite concerning, and being immune to status does not help its case either. and no magic guard users means garganacl can freely spam salt cure and start rapidly chipping down teams by spreading its free passive damage button. its one saving grace and the only reason why i think it isn't a 5 right now is the addition of covert cloak, an item that bypasses the passive damage of salt cure, which helps would-be checks to garganacl like gholdengo be full-on, reliable garganacl checks (and also shed tail HO teams kinda run this pokemon over). so while it has some counterplay, it still can be a major threat to teams once its checks are removed. not as urgent as espathra but something definitely worth keeping an eye on

:gholdengo: 2. do i have to explain why this pokemon isn't banworthy? it's definitely not unproblematic but i do not see how anyone could vote anything higher than a 3 for this guy. it gets forced out or forced to terastallize against a lot of the metagame, gets revenge killed easily even with a choice scarf, suffers a ton from 4MSS, can't even spinblock against two of the best rapid spinners, etc. it has its fair share of weaknesses, enough to the point where i can't say it's worth taking immediate action against

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
is there any reason why this survey is open to anyone?

does smogon really have anything to gain by pretending to read the feedback from the low ladder players?
I sit down for a couple hours every survey and read through as many responses as I can. Sometimes it’s just sorting through numbers and other times it’s reading the feedback. Sometimes people have genuine metagame input and other times Endrism asks me what my favorite type of cheese is.

Obviously the qualified responses count for more — and they should, but we are always open to hearing new ideas and community perception.

is there any reason why this survey is open to anyone?

does smogon really have anything to gain by pretending to read the feedback from the low ladder players?
well smogon is a community... low ladder or not you see the general consensus of what the community overall thinks of it. There is a reason why finch also asks what qualification do you have so he can see what the pros think

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
They only Mon I see unbanned after home is Houndstone, provided Last Respect is banned.
Also Zamazenta (and maybe the Crown form and Giratina-A in the far future) but thats a different situation, since they never been in OU before. Right away, only Houndstone is likely to be unbanned.
agreed that houndstone and zamazenta-H should be unbanned but giratina? i don't necessarily disagree but i'd love to hear why it's worth testing in OU

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I sit down for a couple hours every survey and read through as many responses as I can. Sometimes it’s just sorting through numbers and other times it’s reading the feedback. Sometimes people have genuine metagame input and other times Endrism asks me what my favorite type of cheese is.

Obviously the qualified responses count for more — and they should, but we are always open to hearing new ideas and community perception.
What is categorized under qualified responses?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
What is categorized under qualified responses?
milestones
Did you get reqs for the most recent suspect?
Are you making top cuts in tournaments?
Are you an SPL player?
Do you have the habit of stomping everyone on the ladder?

For example, you got reqs for both Tera and Chien pao, this means that you have a steady determination of making it far to get your opinion heard

stuff like that

From "pretending" to read? No, not at all.
Which is why you know it's not done for "pretending" anything. It's adding too much work to be doing it "for the show" when no one would gain anything from it. Specially considering that the top players are MUCH MUCH fewer in number to the low-ladder and casual players; basically multiplying by 10 the amount of feedback by making these fully public.

okay okay, they are not pretending.
but I still doubt if the feedback from us is going to be valued all that much.
I am not sure if it should be valued but it is not.

My friend, the council is actively courting opinions from the public, which invariably includes a bunch of low ladder players. Yes, their individual opinions are unlikely to be as useful in making tiering decisions as the individual opinions of top level players, but every player's voice is being considered here with these tiering surveys. All responses will be given the appropriate weight as the council decides what to do next.

I think that a low ladder player, can still grasp enough of the metagame to have good, constructive thoughts on it. I do not want to say every low ladder player is a scrub (I'm one so oop-), but I think the OU tier does an amazing job from listening to all players no matter their spot on the ladder, be it high or low. It's important to have a tier that's fun for everyone, but I also agree with listening more to players that have preformed above and beyond.

the difference is that in many eyes (including mines), Emu bird went from 3 to hard 5, due to Orthworm gaming (shed tail) support from indeedee, armarouge and also a new tera fire set that shits on Clodsire and skeleridge, there are a few games about it SPL but I haven't watched so if somebody could post those games, I will be thankful
Excuse my lack of knowledge as I am very new to the game competitively, but what in what way does tera fire on espathra break clodsire, they run unaware tera dark to my knowledge, yes? Skeledirge I can understand why Tera Fire would to better, though.

I think that a low ladder player, can still grasp enough of the metagame to have good, constructive thoughts on it. I do not want to say every low ladder player is a scrub (I'm one so oop-), but I think the OU tier does an amazing job from listening to all players no matter their spot on the ladder, be it high or low. It's important to have a tier that's fun for everyone, but I also agree with listening more to players that have preformed above and beyond.
It's also worth noting that a large gap between "Regular perception" and "High-rank perception" is, in itself, useful data.

If regular players struggle with a mon, but skilled players don't, it heavily suggests that you can build around it reliably. Very much a "once you know what you're doing, it's not so bad." situation - or, as the kids these days say - "Skill Issue."

Inversely, though, when high-rank players consider a mon a bigger problem, as is the case with Chien-Pao?

1675965327771.png

Whatever counterplay exists, it's not really enough to make the mon not a threat. Or, at the very least. to make it not awful to play against.

There's no way to get that data without polling a large number of players, including scrubs (full disclosure: like myself). And seeing larger metagame trends really is something worth doing, especially if you're trying to make the best response possible to The Gen 9 Problem.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Excuse my lack of knowledge as I am very new to the game competitively, but what in what way does tera fire on espathra break clodsire, they run unaware tera dark to my knowledge, yes? Skeledirge I can understand why Tera Fire would to better, though.
I think Finch is referring more to natural switch-ins to Espathra like Kingambit, Gholdengo, Corviknight, and Iron Tread. But it's not just Tera Fire, It's Fairy Dazzling Gleam sets, it's Fighting Tera sets. It has a lot of unpredictable options because of tera and honestly the only thing that I've seen consistently to break Espathra is Ting-Lu. Skele can't really switch-in if it's 2 Calm Minds in.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Considering the fact that there are contrasting opinions on virtually everything, it’s impossible to cover every opinion and account for everyone. We work in tiering with the underlying premise that we cannot please everyone — this is not the business of making people happy. It’s the business of making the game competitive. So yes, some opinions are thrown out or discounted while others are given preference. This mirrors many aspects of the real world as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)