Unpopular opinions

Someone in GF 1997: Yo, let's give Chansey an evo
Other GF staff: W-why? It's already a powerful tank. We're literally going to nerf its Sp. Atk
Someone: Nah nah, it'll make sense 14 years now
Others: Pff, like this franchise will last longer than the new millenium. Tell you what, you make a new item that would be funny
Someone: Alight >:]
*14 years, later*

Someone: Hey, bitches. I was thinking of having an item that doubles defenses for none fully evolved mons
Others: Well that seems worth–
Someone: Points to Chansey
Others: Fuck. Fine, but we're making hard mode an unlockable
The Lucky Punch was a diversion all along.

I don't agree. I believe that switching is a core tenant of Pokemon, and being punished with what is essentially a free kill if the player switches in at the correct time, one single time, without the opportunity for the other core tenant to me (teambuilding) to support your Pokemon, is broken.

To me, the entire point of 6v6 singles as a competitive game is that you make your team, and you switch around it with strategy in order to wiggle out of weaknesses. The Magnet Pull dynamic to me is just matchup fishing + removes too much control from the other player. If one Pokemon gets a kill, it just dies. If it switches in on the turn the opponent switches in the Magnet Pull Pokemon, it just dies. If the opponent uses U-Turn on that Pokemon being swapped in, it just dies.

Of course, this isn't to say "any scenario where you have to sack is uncompetitive", it's that these are conditions that are too easy to pull off. Usually you get into that position around midgame where you make dents, knock off items, use hazards and status to put your opponent into a condition where they must start cutting their losses. Magnet Pull just puts you, by Turn 1, into a condition where it is essentially a 5v6 game. The moment your Steel-Type does anything that does not involve using U-Turn on the Magnet Pull Pokemon coming in, or killing the Magnet Pull Pokemon, it is dead.

I think that is a bad thing for the game. Magma Storm is much more common so I will use for attacking trapping movesfor why I think it's bad for the game: Simply put it's the same concept. A team will not have several switch ins to the same type (if it is good) generally, and thus an attacking move that traps can put you into a Catch 22. There was a long time (and some still do, IIRC) in SWSH where Toxapex was essentially required to run Shed Tail. The other Fire resists are going to get weakened (say, Dragapult, frail but resists Fire), and Toxapex is often the dedicated pivot, especially for Fire moves. Without Shed Tail, this turns it into a 100-0 matchup, which also therefore makes Heatran much more powerful for the rest of the game.

Simply by being able to prevent the opponent to switch out, you can do absurd shit by just counting and waiting out the chip damage.

Conditional trapping is still bad for the game IMO. Having the certainty that the opponent cannot switch out makes for very bad interactions and makes Pokemon much more powerful than they should be (should, as in, deserving to on outside factors).

Matchup fishing, disgusting sets, gross gameplay.
Not a super-specific response but actions that change/remove normal options are pretty common in PvP games for strategy purposes. Trapping Abilities are probably a little much, but I think trapping moves are fine. Yeah, they do tend to be a matchup fish, but that's just the nature of moves like these. Magma Storm is certainly in a league of its own, but that's because it also has high BP (coming off of Heatran's high Special Attack) in addition to its trapping.

I would bring up the comparison of removing/changing held items. Moves that do this force changes to a similar "core tenet" in competitive Pokémon, but these are normally seen as balanced. I'd argue that Knock Off is its own beast because it actually does notable damage (similar to Magma Storm) and has good distribution. The ability to restrict move options is rarer, but they exist (Disable, Taunt, Torment, Encore, the also-changing-held-items option of using Trick/Switcheroo to give the target a Choice item) and are seen to have strategic value; I'm not sure why moves, at least, that prevent switching appear more fundamentally problematic to you.

Cloning is hacking.

This isn’t demeaning anyone who does it, nor am I saying that I don’t understand why people do it; but I’ve heard some arguments defending VGC’s decision on transfer only Pokémon as not “ pay to win “ because you can have a friend trade you the missing Pokemon you are lacking. There’s two problems: For starters, not everyone has friends to trade with them, even with wifi. But the other issue is that you are using third party software to create a Pokémon, even if the result it legitimate identically. And it’s very clear that the use of external software is forbidden to get Pokémon, even if the result is legitimate is not. One other argument is that glitches are fine since they are in the game and not third party, but I disagree since you are using an unintended feature to get Pokemon, especially Legendary and Mythical Pokemon, which are clearly intended to be one time only.

It's more about how people talk about different gens.

You don't see people complain about Unova being linear and really forcing you down many story events, but you do for Alola. There is a cognitive dissonance or a conscious thought that there is no issue with Unova's linearity, but there is about Alola.

I've heard people try to reconcile this with "Unova has side routes", but you aren't even forced to go through like half of Melemele Island. It has a ton of side areas, side characters, side quests, especiailly in USUM.
It's the unskippable cutscenes with their unmashable text (since you can't move to the next box until the character model finishes moving its mouth to said text). It makes them a slog on replay that doesn't really happen with the pre-gen 7 games.

I've been seeing some discussion here on aspects of the competitive and/or online multiplayer side of Pokémon, and while I'm probably never going to prefer multiplayer content over single player content on average, I do want to take a moment here to talk about what I believe to be a major discrepancy about game balance as a whole. My opinions all center around what I think is the most over-used word in competitive multiplayer- "broken". Seeing this word get thrown around a lot has always confused me since it's so difficult for players to come to a consensus agreement on if certain aspects of the game are "broken" or not. The definition I'm going to use for the purpose of this post involves when assets of the game are added at a later point that already existing assets were not designed with in mind. Let's take a look at some examples of commonly debated "broken" strategies in an effort to explain what I mean by that:

Baton Pass (Gens 2 onwards): Baton Pass is arguably the single most controversial move ever added to competitive Pokémon as a result of the near-infinite potential the move provides the Pokémon and team structures using the move. In theory, any Pokémon created without Baton Pass in mind can be "broken" via the use of Baton Pass, in the form of allowing these Pokémon access to benefits they would not otherwise have access to. Furthermore, well-constructed Baton Pass teams can include specific strategies within their team structure in an effort to protect an active Baton Pass chain from being broken.

Trapping Abilities (Gens 3 onwards): The third generation games added Abilities into the game for the first time, and while a number of the third generation's own Pokémon were created with the new mechanic in mind, many Pokémon were also given Abilities that have forever changed their play style and reputation in the competitive scene. Trapping abilities such as Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Magnet Pull immediately come to mind as additions to already existing Pokémon that invalidate a core aspect of Pokémon's competitive gameplay.

Generational Gimmicks (Gen 6 onwards): Admittedly, Mega Evolutions earn a bit of a pass here, as the new forms are specifically designed with their respective Pokémon in mind and as such do not do anything to "break" these Pokémon in theory. This is not to say that certain Mega Evolutions have not been perceived as overpowered in different metagames, though. Other generational gimmicks that function as a universal addition to the roster of Pokémon are a different story, however, as these gimmicks (Z-Moves, Dynamax, and Terastalizing) have been proven to push Pokémon designed without these gimmicks in mind over the edge. Z-Moves provide significantly improved offesnive potential to anything that can afford to use them, and both Dynamax and Terastalizing have provoked discussions of being banned from standard play entirely.

The approach a set of players have to individual 'mons as if they were goddamn NFT's is irritating. The franchise's artificial scarcity for some things is not a good thing.

Catching something in a beast or an apri ball doesn't make it more valuable.

No, but equally the aesthetic and/or novelty value means something to some people.

Say what you will about artificial scarcity, I think it adds to the novelty to have some balls be restricted or harder to obtain. Like pre-Gen VIII only a select handful of Pokemon could be in the Sport Ball, for instance. There's a fun, kitschy appeal in having a Pokemon from HGSS in that particular ball (and that is a justified scarcity, it's a ball specifically for the Bug-Catching Contest so doesn't really make sense to have it be available elsewhere).

I'm a bit of a "lineage-freak" when it comes to the Pokemon I breed/catch, by which I mean I do take notice of the ball they're in, what region they come from and what route they were hatched on - why? Idk just personal preference, but I guess because it makes them more unique in my eyes. What's the difference between the Bagon you hatched and the Bagon I hatched (assuming they've got comparable stats)? Nothing in particular except for the ball they come in, their OTs, and the location they were met. All these things have a certain allure for some people.

And I am unashamedly quite into the aesthetic value of having a Pokemon be in a certain ball. Like I caught a Staryu in a Dive Ball in RSE and it just looks so freakin' good in it (even though Staryu isn't a Dive-exclusive mon). I have a shiny Bagon I caught in a Premier Ball and the green and white just work well together for some reason. I'm currently catching all the Shadow Pokemon from XD so it's been on my mind because I've been pondering, what do I want to catch in what ball? What looks good in a Pokeball vs Great Ball and so on.

I've been seeing some discussion here on aspects of the competitive and/or online multiplayer side of Pokémon, and while I'm probably never going to prefer multiplayer content over single player content on average, I do want to take a moment here to talk about what I believe to be a major discrepancy about game balance as a whole. My opinions all center around what I think is the most over-used word in competitive multiplayer- "broken". Seeing this word get thrown around a lot has always confused me since it's so difficult for players to come to a consensus agreement on if certain aspects of the game are "broken" or not. The definition I'm going to use for the purpose of this post involves when assets of the game are added at a later point that already existing assets were not designed with in mind. Let's take a look at some examples of commonly debated "broken" strategies in an effort to explain what I mean by that:

Baton Pass (Gens 2 onwards): Baton Pass is arguably the single most controversial move ever added to competitive Pokémon as a result of the near-infinite potential the move provides the Pokémon and team structures using the move. In theory, any Pokémon created without Baton Pass in mind can be "broken" via the use of Baton Pass, in the form of allowing these Pokémon access to benefits they would not otherwise have access to. Furthermore, well-constructed Baton Pass teams can include specific strategies within their team structure in an effort to protect an active Baton Pass chain from being broken.

Trapping Abilities (Gens 3 onwards): The third generation games added Abilities into the game for the first time, and while a number of the third generation's own Pokémon were created with the new mechanic in mind, many Pokémon were also given Abilities that have forever changed their play style and reputation in the competitive scene. Trapping abilities such as Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Magnet Pull immediately come to mind as additions to already existing Pokémon that invalidate a core aspect of Pokémon's competitive gameplay.

Generational Gimmicks (Gen 6 onwards): Admittedly, Mega Evolutions earn a bit of a pass here, as the new forms are specifically designed with their respective Pokémon in mind and as such do not do anything to "break" these Pokémon in theory. This is not to say that certain Mega Evolutions have not been perceived as overpowered in different metagames, though. Other generational gimmicks that function as a universal addition to the roster of Pokémon are a different story, however, as these gimmicks (Z-Moves, Dynamax, and Terastalizing) have been proven to push Pokémon designed without these gimmicks in mind over the edge. Z-Moves provide significantly improved offesnive potential to anything that can afford to use them, and both Dynamax and Terastalizing have provoked discussions of being banned from standard play entirely.
Don’t forget another Ability can push any Pokémon over the edge.

Moody (Generation 5 onwards): This is the one Ability that can be considered as both broken and uncompetitive in Single metagames, and in-game since almost every battle is a Single Battle. A free +2 on a random stat boost for a measly -1 on another after every turn may seems innocent at a glance, but the +2 will eventually patch up the reduced stat while the -1 will never outpace the boosted stats. It is worse before Gen 8, where Accuracy and Evasion can also be changed through this Ability.

Even after Moody being unable to modify Accuracy nor Evasion from Gen 8 onwards, it is still too powerful, because now it can get any Pokémon too powerful, too fast and too bulky in fewer turns. It’s a wonder that the only Pokémon that was introduced laater than the fifth Generation that gets this as Hidden Ability is Scovillain.

Don’t forget another Ability can push any Pokémon over the edge.

Moody (Generation 5 onwards): This is the one Ability that can be considered as both broken and uncompetitive in Single metagames, and in-game since almost every battle is a Single Battle. A free +2 on a random stat boost for a measly -1 on another after every turn may seems innocent at a glance, but the +2 will eventually patch up the reduced stat while the -1 will never outpace the boosted stats. It is worse before Gen 8, where Accuracy and Evasion can also be changed through this Ability.

Even after Moody being unable to modify Accuracy nor Evasion from Gen 8 onwards, it is still too powerful, because now it can get any Pokémon too powerful, too fast and too bulky in fewer turns. It’s a wonder that the only Pokémon that was introduced laater than the fifth Generation that gets this as Hidden Ability is Scovillain.
You’re right, how did I miss this? It’s even worse when you consider that the stat boosts you do accumulate are pretty much random, too. There are times when I feel you’d rather have a different Ability- Speed Boost comes to mind as a similar concept, but you and your opponent both know what stat is being boosted- but if you the player can make a legitimate argument for Pokémon like non-Mega Glalie, Scovillain, freaking Bidoof, et cetera being problematic in Ubers, there’s very clearly a problem here.

(At least the Bidoof family can’t use Moody and Simple at the same time. Now that sounds like torture.)

pokemon-memes-piplup-gif.gif
I See....

Freeze should've been replaced with Frostbite after Legends Arceus. That status was so much more balanced (Freeze has always been bullshit), it made sense flavour wise, and it would've given us the opportunity to have a move that just induces Frostbite a la Will o Wisp. We could've also had a Freeze Orb, giving Guts users an easier time since even if they lose their ability somehow they still don't get their Attack reduced.

Drowsy could be interesting too, though it would need some tweaking from its Legends Arceus incarnation.

XY are my least favourite mainline Pokemon games. To this day I couldn't name one gym leader or one location from it, and mega evolution was a decent idea but in game it was completely broken. While it did save some otherwise unviable Pokemon (Mawile, Kangaskhan and Pinsir come to mind), honestly I would've preferred them just having regular evolutions. Apart from the awesome champion theme, I can't recall any music from that game either off the top of my head.

Freeze should've been replaced with Frostbite after Legends Arceus. That status was so much more balanced (Freeze has always been bullshit), it made sense flavour wise, and it would've given us the opportunity to have a move that just induces Frostbite a la Will o Wisp. We could've also had a Freeze Orb, giving Guts users an easier time since even if they lose their ability somehow they still don't get their Attack reduced.

Drowsy could be interesting too, though it would need some tweaking from its Legends Arceus incarnation.

XY are my least favourite mainline Pokemon games. To this day I couldn't name one gym leader or one location from it, and mega evolution was a decent idea but in game it was completely broken. While it did save some otherwise unviable Pokemon (Mawile, Kangaskhan and Pinsir come to mind), honestly I would've preferred them just having regular evolutions. Apart from the awesome champion theme, I can't recall any music from that game either off the top of my head.
Frostbite would make the game literally trash. Wisp can already make many MUs a 5v6, now you're gonna add moves to make that for the other side of the offensive spectrum?

The likely Will-o-Wisp equivalent is the main thing that keeps me from being enthusiastic about Frostbite. Burn is more often seen out of a Ghost type than an actual Fire type because the latter is rarely defensive enough to personally care about the attack drop and Ice mons already struggle with being overshadowed by other types carrying Ice moves. How symmetric answers to physical and special moves should be is probably also worth a discussion on its own.

I do think they should experiment with a persistent status that reduces defenses, but I also feel that there's too much built on Sleep to change it easily. Maybe that's what Frostbite should do instead of dropping SpA?

I do think they should experiment with a persistent status that reduces defenses, but I also feel that there's too much built on Sleep to change it easily. Maybe that's what Frostbite should do instead of dropping SpA?
i do think it's a great idea to have frostbite reducing defenses and maybe even a chance of not moving like paralysis - it would justify the condition being much rarer than the others without it being basically a KO as it now

Back