Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Felixx

I'm back.
anyone got spreads for mix def or phys def Pex ?
:blobpex::blobpex::blobpex:
Toxapex (M) @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Spread lets Pex live HJK into Zen Headbutt from Jolly M-Medi from full. Not much reason to run fully phys def Pex unless it's on stall.

Is there a reason why abilities like static or flame body aren't banned? I was just wondering since I remember abilities like Sand Veil being banned before

Is there a reason why abilities like static or flame body aren't banned? I was just wondering since I remember abilities like Sand Veil being banned before
being luck reliant is definitely not a reason to ban anything at all. or else literally all moves without 100% accuracy should be banned following this logic of yours. pokemon is a luck based game and sometimes you just have to accept it. sand veil and snow cloak are a different story because boosting evasion is seen as uncompetitive and unfair, but abilities like flame body and static pose no harm to pokemon's competitive scene.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Are the sample teams any good?

Ik that they usually tend to be pretty meh and outdated
They are "good", the thread has been updated since the Zygarde ban, and the fact that you said that is offensive to not only myself, but also the various contributors to the thread who go out of their way to give their proven teams to the community despite gaining nothing from doing so.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can actually answer this one a bit more in detail since I was around in DPP-era, when this was first introduced (Sand Veil ban). lyd and Felixx did well with answering, but I wanted to add more detail to this since it's not really a question often asked.

There's a few things to consider with Static vs Sand Veil. First and foremost - Static does not affect the accuracy of moves. This alone is a huge difference. While Stone Edge only has an 80% chance to hit Zapdos (assuming 0 evasion), it will always be 80% assuming its item is not anything like Brightpowder. Furthermore, Static and Flame Body only work on contact moves - any moves like Ice Beam and said Stone Edge ignore the properties of these abilities. In other words - we have an ability that assumes a specific circumstance (contact) and only has a chance to activate. Discharge and Lava Plume have roughly the same percentage of their effects as well, and the only time these won't go off are circumstances with immunities involved (Lightningrod, being an Electric-type, Flame Body, being a Fire-type).

Sand Veil introduces a more complex scenario. See, back in the previous hay days of Gen 4 Garchomp was able to abuse Sand Veil quite a bit because Sand was permanent and it was a rather dominant force in the DPP metagame. A single miss could easily swing the battle in the Garchomp player's favor because it was also easy to fish with Substitute and, if you were a total dick, Brightpowder. Garchomp (and then Gliscor) at the time were fairly hard to kill - your reliability was banking on Ice moves (and praying no Yache Berry), but when that only works 80% of the time (or worse with Brightpowder) and you factor in that Yache Berry allows Garchomp to survive an ice move, it makes things very troublesome. For Gliscor it could abuse some of its defensive bulk by sometimes banking on a missed attack here and there or having an easier time passing with Baton Pass.

While luck is (unfortunately) an element of battle, you have to understand that circumstances such as Sand Veil are very different from Static / Flame Body. They assumed more strict conditions than Sand Veil at the time and made it a key factor in banning Garchomp as well. Nowadays this is somewhat less of an issue since sand isn't permanent and there is a possibility of rain as a playstyle (and Zard Y for Drought), but the counterplay for it back in the day was much harder to handle.

Nowadays Sand Veil isn't really thought of much - sometimes it can bail you out of a weird jam, but most of the time you'll want other abilities on Pokemon that used Sand Veil anyway (Gliscor for Poison Heal recovery, Garchomp to chip at contact Pokemon).

My problem with those abilities is that there is no legitimate strategy to them and they are more of a "Hail Mary" type of ability. No one creates a strategy around those abilities in the same way you use Jirachi's ability and is mostly used since the other abilities have little use as well.

Also, is the item bright powder legal?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
My problem with those abilities is that there is no legitimate strategy to them and they are more of a "Hail Mary" type of ability. No one creates a strategy around those abilities in the same way you use Jirachi's ability and is mostly used since the other abilities have little use as well.

Also, is the item bright powder legal?
Yes, brightpowder is legal. In case you don't believe me, we actually had a game from SPL in Week 5 where it was used. You can't exactly plan a team out focusing on something like Static, but they're just nice to have and something to keep in mind like the other RNG based mechanics in this game. In the end it's luck dependent like getting a Scald burn or hitting a Focus Blast, but if it happens it happens, if not then it doesn't. There's always a risk associated with moves/abilities like that, and they're just other factors to keep in mind when making some moves. They can be used in competitive ways like sending in Static Zapdos as the opponent's Torn-T goes for U-turn to paralyze them, and while that's a specific scenario, it's not too different from fishing for a Scald burn, both of which again are luck/RNT dependent.

uhh, have u ever seen a defensive volcarona? well fat volcarona's way to beat mega mawile and potentially mega medicham with good pivoting is through a burn, as otherwise both deal over 50% with one of their coverage moves. similar thing with static zapdos, that aims to punish constant u-turns, especially from choice scarf landorus-t and tornadus-t with a potential paralysis. both static and flame body are legitimate tools that have a chance of punishing your opponent for something. but even the psychological aspect of these abilities already helps, as your opponent would be much less likely to u-turn everytime with choice scarf landorus-t if you have a static zapdos or theyd be more prone to not attack with mega mawile and instead double if you have a defensive volcarona so they dont risk a burn. if anything id say jirachi's iron heads are more "hail mary" than these because jirachi is forced to stay in on something that can threaten it to pull its strategy off, whereas flame body and static users can always pivot in and out.

How does one counter the stall killer Fini with

Taunt
Whirlpool
Natures Madness
Moonblast

I know Koko and a variety of other offensive mons can counter, but is there any way that a stall mon can counter them?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Taunt
Whirlpool
Natures Madness
Moonblast

I know Koko and a variety of other offensive mons can counter, but is there any way that a stall mon can counter them?
You knock its lefties turn 1 with sableye and wear it down with the rest of the team, really depends on what u need in certain matchups theres always gonna be 1-2 expendable mons u can use to trade hp for more chip on fini until it’s too low to beat anything

I'm concerned about the defensive counterplay to Lele.

I've seen many builders adding a Ferro or a Tran to their teams and calling it a Lele answer. Is it really prudent to call a mon that is 4x weak to fire and/or weak to focus blast an answer?

If the answer is NO then we are left with Celesteela, Jirachi and AV Magearna as the only actual defensive answers to it (maybe you could add the ultra niche Muk-Alola). Isn't this restricting for balanced and bulkier teambuilding, as you are forced to use one of those three? (and then imagine they bring a guardian of alola set... scary)

I'm concerned about the defensive counterplay to Lele.

I've seen many builders adding a Ferro or a Tran to their teams and calling it a Lele answer. Is it really prudent to call a mon that is 4x weak to fire and/or weak to focus blast an answer?

If the answer is NO then we are left with Celesteela, Jirachi and AV Magearna as the only actual defensive answers to it (maybe you could add the ultra niche Muk-Alola). Isn't this restricting for balanced and bulkier teambuilding, as you are forced to use one of those three? (and then imagine they bring a guardian of alola set... scary)
While I agree with you with the defensive answers, Lele still have enough offensive counter play because of poor bulk and average speed, can be revenge killed by a lot of mons

And jirachi is a safe counter having reliable recovery on wish and can use Lele as uturn fodder to generate momentum

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Why’s Hawlucha considered so much worse? What happened to it? Cause iirc the meta stayed like kinda the same for a whole year. Can someone explain?
After Zygarde's departure, many mons that give Hawlucha trouble like M-Latias, Rotom-W, Zapdos, Tapu Koko benefitted from meta shifts such as Tangrowth's serious drop and CelePex being everywhere and started being used more frequently, so more teams are prepared for Hawlucha, and it became less effective as a sweeper. Hope I explained it correctly.

Taunt
Whirlpool
Natures Madness
Moonblast

What Leo mentioned is correct but you can also utilize mons like Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Mega-Venusaur or even Zapdos or Ferrothorn to flat-out 'counter' it. Basically u need a way to hit it offensively and not die to its stuff too fast.

Why’s Hawlucha considered so much worse? What happened to it? Cause iirc the meta stayed like kinda the same for a whole year. Can someone explain?
Regardless of Zygarde's presence in the tier, Hawlucha thrives on being one-of-a-kind. What I mean by that is that it is a physical set-up Pokemon that has very unique checks due to its coverage, bulk and access to roost as well as unburden. This leads to it needing specific attention during the teambuilding process and if it isnt given said attention there is a good chance that it can 6-0 after a Swords Dance boost. Since this used to be a rather common occurrence people started using it a lot more, leading to a rise in the viability rankings & usage overall. However, after some time this also lead to people being much more aware of it and Hawlucha is much worse than your average Pokemon if there is a 'counter' on the enemy team since it loses its unburden niche as well as electric (or any other seed) seed boost when forced out. Eventually it could get better again if people stop giving it the respect it deserves.

How do you go about building offense teams in this meta? I start with an offensive core, but always rely on the same balance mons to finish the team (ferro, pex, etc). I find it hard when building offense to see what my counter play is to stuff without having the reliable switch ins you find on balance. Any advice?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How do you go about building offense teams in this meta? I start with an offensive core, but always rely on the same balance mons to finish the team (ferro, pex, etc). I find it hard when building offense to see what my counter play is to stuff without having the reliable switch ins you find on balance. Any advice?
Usually, I try to use defensive pivots that do not give up momentum in order to cover the things I need to. Some examples of these are Assault Vest Magearna, pivot Rotom-Wash, and Rocky Helmet Tornadus-Therian. However, there are numerous other examples that are quite viable, making building bulky-offense less of a challenge than one might initially imagine and not entirely restricted.

Finch gave a good answer on bulky offense, but if you're going in a more hyper offense approach use complementary sweepers that take care of each others answers and use em as setup fodder. An example of this is something like blacephalon plus Kommo-O. Blace can be pretty deadly but is easilly revenged by ash-gren or trapped by ttar. Both these mons however provide a setup opportunity for either sub-drum or Clang Soul Kommo-o.

You'll also want mons that weaken/lure each other checks. Common implementation of this is "(insert type) spam." An example of this is pairing medicham with hawlucha, wherein medicham can soften up mons like clefable and slowbro clearing the way for lucha sweep.

Is it bad I like Draco on Mega Latios?

Also the site has this crazy Lati set up that I've literally never seen in a game, does it have any merit?

Latios @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Is it bad I like Draco on Mega Latios?
Nah, it's ok to catch Mega Alakazam and a few other things. Definitely worthwhile on some teams.

Also the site has this crazy Lati set up that I've literally never seen in a game, does it have any merit?

Latios @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Calm Mind
This is a dated set that was intended to do well vs stall, break through Clefable, and defeat Unaware Pokemon. It should probably not be used anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)