Hobbies About the Furry Fandom.

Obligatory not a furry here.

Furry fandom has always been an interesting point of...observation to me I guess. I'm generally pretty open about most minorites (LGBT+ and the such) as long as you aren't saying you have 14 genders, men are the spawn of satan, and you identify as an Attack Helicopter or something of the like. Turned out good in a lot of cases. Knew a lot of lesbian girls in theater, was friends with a hermaphrodite in HS, and was acquainted with a transwomen in my time at Pizza Hut. All really cool about it.

Furries tho kind of have always rubbed me wrong I guess, but I think I know why. I think a lot of it has to do specifically with how internet subculture and meme culture has interpreted the common furry: actually thinking they are animals and with majorly sexual interests and a straight furry fetish. All the uwu , OwO, and nuzzles you stuff has practically become a meme at this point to most of us normies, and has greatly effected our view of the furry. Of course, my view was also affected by a particulary distasteful reply to a random comment I had made.

Just my thoughts.
Not gonna lie, I love to UwU OwO and all that Jazz, but I can understand your view. Meme culture ruins a lot of things.

Note: It feels great to have honest furry discussion without shitposting everywhere

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Not sure how to ask this but what is your personal story of what led you to participate and ultimately identify with furry culture if you don't mind sharing?
I don't participate or identify with furry """""culture"""""

And has there been any intersection between this and your LGBT experience (for ex: accepting who you are and your interests despite potential social judgement on either end)?
No

It's really not that different from any other fandom, the main differences being a) there's no franchise tied to it, and b) it's very old

Not sure how to ask this but what is your personal story of what led you to participate and ultimately identify with furry culture if you don't mind sharing?

And has there been any intersection between this and your LGBT experience (for ex: accepting who you are and your interests despite potential social judgement on either end)?
1. Well I have been drawing dinosaur characters since I was little, and I saw furries and their animal characters and I was like "yeah that's me"

2. No, I don't think so, lots of my crushes from when I was younger were female human characters in pokemon, and not furries.

ok i just gotta say it, furries are cringe. but like they dont hurt people so if they truly believe that is the course of action they want to take with their life let them. as long as its not in public noone wants to see that shit
Most furries keep their stuff to the internet and conventions made for furries. If furries do go out in public wearing costumes, they are usually in a group and often at public events (Like fairs, parties, etc...)

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Do you have to have a fursona to fall under the furry descriptor? Or can one simply be sexually interested in such creatures/characters with anthropomorphically animalistic features and be a furry?

Not asking for a friend, I'm genuinely curious if I meet the qualifications

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you have to have a fursona to fall under the furry descriptor? Or can one simply be sexually interested in such creatures/characters with anthropomorphically animalistic features and be a furry?

Um....no, fursonas are a pretty common thing among furries and having one is what many of them want, but it's not necessary. About the second question, the answer is no as well. The interest doesn't need to go that way, it's just like with many fandoms that just so happen to have an adult side to it, but you don't need to be a fan of such content.

Last edited:

Lots of furries have fursonas, majority do actually. Fursona doesn’t have to be you as an animal, it can just be your most used character.

Like my “Fursona” wasn’t even meant to be my fursona when it was first created. Started off as a gag between my high school friends, made it onto the internet, people started associating me with the raptor rather than a person which caused it to be my fursona

It depends on the person if being a furry is sexual are not. Some people may be there just for the sexual part but it’s not as common. Usually they casually like NSFW of anthro characters, like how anime fans sometimes are into Hentai, because it relates to their interest. Some furries aren’t sexual at all.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
You definitely don't need a fursona, they're pretty much exclusively a thing only on the western part of the fandom. In the kemono/eastern side of things, they're much rarer, with artists opting to just make original characters instead, and fans not having any.

It's kinda interesting since western culture in general places much more emphasis on individualism, which is my guess for why this happens. Not requiring a fursona in kemono also means you don't get nearly as many characters invented by people who have zero art or character design skill, avoiding the problem of endless sparkledogs made with the MS paint fill bucket tool

Western furries also have way more emphasis on sexual fetishes, most likely because it started that way in the very beginning. Furries (especially conventions) trying to rebrand to be more clean and kid-friendly is very much a recent development within the past decade or so.

Furry pride!

While I do not identify myself in the category, I do certainly approve of what you are trying to do in this thread. Back in the day, I did watch several tv shows that could have some relation to this hobby. Like Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Mew mew power and Swat kats, to name a few.

Last edited:
Furry pride!

While I do not identify myself in the category, I do certainly approve of what you are trying to do in this thread. Back in the day, I did watch several tv shows that could have some relation to this hobby. Like Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Mew mew power and Swat kats, to name a few.
Thank you! I am proud to be a furry.
Furries really changed my life for the better and helped me when I was in a dark place.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
thank you both! I'm currently redoing a bunch of it to make it more comfortable to wear and look nicer, then I'll be taking it to MFF

thank you both! I'm currently redoing a bunch of it to make it more comfortable to wear and look nicer, then I'll be taking it to MFF
That sounds great! I wanted to go MFF but I ended up backing out due to some threats that were made, causing some of my possible roomates to back out. However I will be going to Anthro northwest this year as Viscor Crimera, my one other OC.

I plan to wear this new fursuit at cons rather than falkneraptor, because I wouldn't get to wear it as often as I don't want to scare the kids at my smaller furmeets (usually around 5-7 fursuiters going to parks, or furry bowling)
Just finished the head/arms/handclaws this week, working on the tail and feetclaws.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
tl;dr--Furries are not as bad as people like to make them out to be. Seriously, it's a giant case of a vocal minority "representing" the community to the common person. Generalization is not only inherently a blugh thing, but when it comes to something as serious as pedophilia and zoophilia and it being associated with furries, it's not only super dangerous, but it's extremely, blatantly incorrect. I'm really done with seeing people assume all furries are pedophiles and zoophiles, tbh.

tl;dr--Furries are not as bad as people like to make them out to be. Seriously, it's a giant case of a vocal minority "representing" the community to the common person. Generalization is not only inherently a blugh thing, but when it comes to something as serious as pedophilia and zoophilia and it being associated with furries, it's not only super dangerous, but it's extremely, blatantly incorrect. I'm really done with seeing people assume all furries are pedophiles and zoophiles, tbh.
Yeah its pretty sad, knowing a lot of the community sees being "furry" as a hobby. I mean yeah, NSFW stuff exists but that's a thing for literally every large fanbase.

I don't understand why people see me like this and immediately go to "Yeah this is a sex thing"
like let me dress as a silly blue velociraptor in peace
B381C8D5-3203-4D8A-A8A8-C7EB2C43C83D.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Shufflebotham Singh LLP

Banned deucer.
For a long time, the idea of a "furry" was something that I did not understand and therefore did not approve of. But recently my family went through something of a difficult time when I discovered my oldest son has been living a double life as a furry on the internet. At first we responded harshly, restricting his internet access and looking through his room for material we did not approve of. After all, we did not understand. Why did our son turn out this way? We took him to Church every Sunday. He should know better than this, should he not?

But this only created resentment, and in the end we had a length, frank conversation that allowed his mother and I to accept him for what he is. I admit that it still causes me some deal of confusion, but I still love him. I have decided to, from now on, spend some time each week trying to discuss this further with him and attempt to understand his point of view. Maybe, in time, even I will understand furry culture. Stranger things have happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)