Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

I saw in another thread that Rapid Spin's description changed to add its speed raising but dropped the part about entry hazards. Anyone able to test this or know its that effect is still there or gone???

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Firstly, love y'all who are putting so much work into figuring out mechanics <3 - a few things I'm interested in:

There's been videos showing that Zacian and Zamazenta are unable to Dynamax - can this be confirmed?
Can Ditto Dynamax after Imposter / Transform? Does the HP double as normal if so? Can it use max moves based on the opponent's moves?
Does Transform / Imposter copy max moves? What about G-max moves?
Will a Poison-type wearing Heavy Duty Boots absorb Toxic Spikes?
If Innards Out triggers while Dynamaxed, does it deal damage equal to the Dynamax HP or the normal HP?
Does a Dynamaxed Pokemon's HP stat cap? Dynamax Snorlax would far exceed the previous maximum possible HP stat if not.
Does Pain Split use the Pokemon's Dynamaxed HP (if used by another Pokemon against a Dynamax)?
Does Neutralizing Gas negate Solgaleo / Lunala's abilities?

Magic Powder seems to be a powder move: "It doesn't affect the wild Oddish."
It also fails on pure Psychic Pokemon.

Oh boy, it looks like I should test Dynamax + Ditto. I don't know how to get an HA ditto so it'll have to be Transform. Stay tuned.
The datamine shows there's a Ditto raid.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Can Ditto Dynamax after Imposter / Transform? Does the HP double as normal if so? Can it use max moves based on the opponent's moves?
Does Transform / Imposter copy max moves? What about G-max moves?
Yes, Ditto can Transform, then Dynamax.
If you don't Transform and Dynamax, it only has Max Guard.
The max HP went from 123 to 184 after Transforming and Dynamaxing (looks like 50% increase with 0 bars of Dynamax).
Yes, it can use the opponent's moves as Max moves.

Incidental finding: Dynamax'd Weather Ball appears as Max Strike in the menu, but actually performs Max Geyser in Rain.

Yes, Ditto can Transform, then Dynamax.
If you don't Transform and Dynamax, it only has Max Guard.
The max HP went from 123 to 184 after Transforming and Dynamaxing (looks like 50% increase with 0 bars of Dynamax).
Yes, it can use the opponent's moves as Max moves.

Incidental finding: Dynamax'd Weather Ball appears as Max Strike in the menu, but actually performs Max Geyser in Rain.
This one might be a bit trickier to test, but can Ditto Dynamax if it's copying a Pokemon that normally can't, such as Zacian?

- If a pokemon with Inner Focus or Own Tempo holding an Adrenaline Orb is affected by Intimidate, does the Adrenaline Orb activate? For reference it would activate in this situation if the ability was Hyper Cutter so it's probably consistent with that but worth a test anyways
- Court Change, Octolock: We still don't really know how these moves work, exactly.
- Stalwart, Propeller Tail, Snipe Shot: These abilities/moves warrant some testing. Do they outright ignore the immunity from abilities like Storm Drain and Lightningrod, or do they only ignore the part that redirects the move towards them?
- Punk Rock: Still don't know how much this boosts by.
- Obstruct: Does it protect the user from status moves (unlike King's Shield)?
- G-Max Befuddle: What is the percentage chance of each status occurring?
- Dynamax Shedinja: Does it have 2 HP?
- If a Dynamaxed pokemon sets up weather using its moves, do those get extended if the pokemon is using heat rock/smooth rock/etc.
- Are stat increases from dynamax moves doubled by Simple?
- If a pokemon with Sheer Force uses Rapid Spin does it still remove the hazards (presumably yes) and does it lose the speed increase effect (presumably no)
- G-Max Gold Rush: Does this stack with Amulet Coin like Happy Hour does, or does it work more like Pay Day (this is not relevant to competitive play)

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Does Ditto copy Dynamax/Gigantamax forms? If so, how Long does the transformation last?
I tested in a raid battle and it turns into a normal-sized version of the Dynamax mon.
You can still Dynamax afterwards though (as shown before)
Octolock: We still don't really know how these moves work, exactly.
Tried on a wild mon, Octolock says "The wild Blipbug can no longer escape because of Octolock!" At the end of every turn, Blipbug's Defense and Special Defense drop by 1 stage each.
- Obstruct: Does it protect the user from status moves (unlike King's Shield)?
I haven't tested this versus a status move but I know it doesn't stop moves like Leer from dropping Defense.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Does Propeller Tail prevent the effects of abilities such as Storm Drain in singles or only prevent redirection?
Similarly does Stalwart completely ignore abilities that draw in moves or only the redirection?
Do Bolt Beak and Fisious Rend double damage on switchins?

This seems actually consistent with its gen 7 behaviour (it required Normalium-Z, but would cast the Z-move appropriate to its typing.

Is Nature Power in the game? If so, is it possible to check if it exhibits same behaviour as well or turns into Max Guard (since it's actually a status move)?

Someone should look up how Utility Umbrella works to its fullest. Can it for instance negate the damage boost from opposing water attacks when in the rain?

For -ilate abilities such as pixilate, would a Max Strike be changed? Notably would Sylveon Max Strike be Max Fairy

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I was in a raid battle with a enemy machop and it attempted to use knock off several times, which failed each attempt, with no discernable reason. I'm not sure if this is due to raid battle mechanics or if knock off it self was changed

On my side was a Rookide (unnerve), a Togepi (serene grace), a Salazzle (Corrosion), and a Magikarp (didn't remember to check). The magikarp had a focus sash held that broke before machomp attempted to use Knock Off. None of the other mons had held items.

I was in a raid battle with a enemy machop and it attempted to use knock off several times, which failed each attempt, with no discernable reason. I'm not sure if this is due to raid battle mechanics or if knock off it self was changed

On my side was a Rookide (unnerve), a Togepi (serene grace), a Salazzle (Corrosion), and a Magikarp (didn't remember to check). The magikarp had a focus sash held that broke before machomp attempted to use Knock Off. None of the other mons had held items.
My first thought was that the move only works if the target has a held item, and fails otherwise, but that doesn't make any sense with the move description.

-Max Multi-Attack is shown from the data dump to have the reduced power Poison and Fighting type moves do. Is it actually reduced for all types, or just those two types?
-Does Stelth Rock still do the same damage as before?
-Does Defence Curl + Max Rollout work?
-Ice Face changes Eiscue form, along with its stats. Does the stat change happen right away, or at the end of the turn?
-From what I understand, Dynamaxing heals the user. How does this apply to Zen Mode, and also Heal Block?
-There is a glitch(?) in Gen7 where when a Pokémon with Intimate is brought out via Roar+Mold Breaker, Pokémon with Clear Body has their Stats lowered. Does this still happen, including against the new anti-Intimate abilities?
-What does happen when a removed move is used (Hidden Power, Pursuit, Return and such)? Including as a Max move and through Assist.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
-What does happen when a removed move is used (Hidden Power, Pursuit, Return and such)? Including as a Max move and through Assist.
assist doesn't exist any more either, and if you try transferring a pokemon with one of those moves into the game, it won't let you transfer it

assist doesn't exist any more either, and if you try transferring a pokemon with one of those moves into the game, it won't let you transfer it
The move descriptions imply the opposite, thaht you can have it in but it's useless and you should replace the move immediately. We still have no idea what pokeman home is or does in regards to transfers

My brother is having the same issue. I'm guessing, based off of pure speculation, that dynamaxed raid pokemon have a null value for the item slot etc and when the move is used it reads the null and fails the move? No idea honestly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)